Penalty charge received in error. Having fun with TFL

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2005, 08:08 AM
SD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Penalty charge received in error. Having fun with TFL

Guys,

Imagine my surprise on Saturday morning when I received some post from the Mayor of London/TFL on Saturday. Me?! They're sending a letter to me?!?!? What could they possibly want to say to lil' ole' me, especially when I live right down on the Surrey/West Sussex border?...

Imagine my greater surprise when I opened it to find a 'penalty charge', for stopping on a red route in north London on the 25th August. "But, but, but" I thought. I've never driven to north London EVER, let alone at the time stated (4:57pm) which would've been a physical impossibility to get to in such a short time after leaving work that day.

My first thoughts are that my car had been cloned and clocked on camera, but on turning over the fine I saw the 'photo evidence' of the alleged offence. Well, it's a Rover 25 all right (that's what I drive) but the photo clearly shows a dark coloured car (mine is silver) but even more obvious is the number plate. "X457" it starts, and mine is "X469".

Well if I can read that number plate with my poor eyesight I wonder why some jobsworth idiot summer placement YTS trainee can't read it.

I'm just starting a very critical letter back to them. I'm very angry to be honest. I'm worried that the incompotence that caused this error in the first place won't now be able to resolve it.

Any tips? Has this happened to anyone else here?

Thanks,

Simon
Old 12 September 2005, 08:23 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SD
Any tips? Has this happened to anyone else here?

is this a trick question?

heres a tip - write a letter and say "its not me"

there are millions of idiots in London getting tickets for various stuff...one person makes a mistake with your car and you're "very angry" ????

hate to see what you're like when something bad actually happens!
Old 12 September 2005, 08:26 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep.................. simply write back 3 words .... ITS NOT ME!

Let them do what they want, don't think about it again - if they pursue you regardless of you telling them that it is not you then you can claim compensation!!! Think ££££££'s

Could be a good xmas for you!!

Pete
Old 12 September 2005, 08:31 AM
SD
Scooby Regular

Have drafted a response:

"Dear Cretins,

Thank you for your bill, dated 1st September 2005.

My response to this is as follows. “The contravention did not occur”.

My reasons for saying this are as follows:

1) I have a Rover 25, registration plate X469 ***, as correctly identified on the front of your bill. However, mine is a silver Rover 25, not a dark coloured car as shown in your picture.
2) My registration plate as stated is X469 ***. The photo clearly shows a car with a number plate X457 ***. How can this mistake be made? If I can read this number plate from your poorly printed picture, then why can’t you with a decent sized original.

I hereby demand that you recognise this as the end of the matter and update your records immediately. As you will have noted, this letter has been sent by special delivery meaning that when I phone, you won’t be able to claim that you haven’t received it. I will be phoning in a couple of days time to ensure that you have processed this in a timely manner. I also expect written confirmation of your acceptance of your error, and to confirm that you have updated your records as appropriate.

If I receive another communications from yourselves that indicates a failure to comply with the above then rest assured that I will pursue a legal case of harassment.

Please find enclosed the following.

1) A photocopy of your original bill, just in case you’ve ‘lost’ the original ‘evidence’.
2) A photo of my car to show just how different it is to the one in your photo.
3) A brochure for Specsavers. Specsavers provide a wonderful service for ‘eyesight disadvantaged individuals’ such as yourself. I suggest you make an appointment.
4) A bill. As per my policy with regard to companies and organisation that send me incorrect letters requiring action on my part, I’m enclosing a bill for an hour of my time. Please note that payment terms are 28 days from the day of receipt and after this date interest will be accrued at a weekly rate of the Bank of England Base Rate, + 4%.

I expect this to be the end of the matter.

Yours, very slightly confused and annoyed,"
Old 12 September 2005, 08:34 AM
Reality
BANNED

Far too eloquent for SN.

here's one (inspired by Lewis & Tiggs)

Dear Sirs,

ref <refnumber>

It's not me. Try again.

This matter is now closed.

Regards
SD
Old 12 September 2005, 08:38 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

You should start a protest thread Blockade the streets of london.
Old 12 September 2005, 08:45 AM
SD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reality
Far too eloquent for SN.

here's one (inspired by Lewis & Tiggs)

Dear Sirs,

ref <refnumber>

It's not me. Try again.

This matter is now closed.

Regards
SD
LOL, might try that one..
Old 12 September 2005, 08:46 AM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Fair enough, it was'nt you, BUT i feel you should pay some sort of penalty, for openly admitting to the general population of Scoobynet that you drive a Rover 25.
Old 12 September 2005, 12:00 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

3) A brochure for Specsavers. Specsavers provide a wonderful service for ‘eyesight disadvantaged individuals’ such as yourself. I suggest you make an appointment.
4) A bill. As per my policy with regard to companies and organisation that send me incorrect letters requiring action on my part, I’m enclosing a bill for an hour of my time. Please note that payment terms are 28 days from the day of receipt and after this date interest will be accrued at a weekly rate of the Bank of England Base Rate, + 4%.

On a related subject, I got home in april after driving through the c zone.... and fell asleep and forgot to pay it.
never heard a word from them It seems they really dont have a clue!
Old 12 September 2005, 12:09 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

you have far too much time, as said I'd just write a simple letter saying,

Dear Sirs,

If you have the time, I'd like to you examine your evidence again and ask yourselves if you feel the need you can carry on persuing me for the outstanding bill.

Thanks
Old 12 September 2005, 12:09 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SD
Have drafted a response:

"Dear Cretins,

Thank you for your bill, dated 1st September 2005.

My response to this is as follows. “The contravention did not occur”.

My reasons for saying this are as follows:

1) I have a Rover 25, registration plate X469 ***, as correctly identified on the front of your bill. However, mine is a silver Rover 25, not a dark coloured car as shown in your picture.
2) My registration plate as stated is X469 ***. The photo clearly shows a car with a number plate X457 ***. How can this mistake be made? If I can read this number plate from your poorly printed picture, then why can’t you with a decent sized original.

I hereby demand that you recognise this as the end of the matter and update your records immediately. As you will have noted, this letter has been sent by special delivery meaning that when I phone, you won’t be able to claim that you haven’t received it. I will be phoning in a couple of days time to ensure that you have processed this in a timely manner. I also expect written confirmation of your acceptance of your error, and to confirm that you have updated your records as appropriate.

If I receive another communications from yourselves that indicates a failure to comply with the above then rest assured that I will pursue a legal case of harassment.

Please find enclosed the following.

1) A photocopy of your original bill, just in case you’ve ‘lost’ the original ‘evidence’.
2) A photo of my car to show just how different it is to the one in your photo.

I expect this to be the end of the matter.

Yours, very slightly confused and annoyed,"

hands up those with too much time and too much anger?
Old 12 September 2005, 12:59 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Just send the Penalty Notice back with a pair of rubber gloves and a tube of KY Jelly.
Old 12 September 2005, 01:20 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SD
Be sure to include the same threatening language they would use vis a vis the charge being quadrupled and passed onto an agressive debt collection agency in the event they do not pay within the 28 days!
Old 12 September 2005, 01:21 PM
SD
Scooby Regular

hands up those with too much time and too much anger?
I'm OK, I wrote it during work time.

Spoke to them on the phone and it's sorted, (apparently) but I'm sceptical and wouldn't be surprised to receive something in the post at some point again.

Simon.
Old 12 September 2005, 01:28 PM
oobster
Scooby Regular

Jeez.... I can't believe i just wasted 5 minutes of my time reading such rubbish.

Simon - you now owe me that 5 minutes & I shall expect a prompt payment.

Have a long hard think to yourself before considering posting such nonsence in future.
Old 12 September 2005, 01:29 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

One day, when I have a couple of hours, I will write up the on-going saga that we're having with TFL - 6 months now & I wish I'd never started
Old 12 September 2005, 01:37 PM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by oobster
Jeez.... I can't believe i just wasted 5 minutes of my time reading such rubbish.

Simon - you now owe me that 5 minutes & I shall expect a prompt payment.

Have a long hard think to yourself before considering posting such nonsence in future.
If you want to waste another hour have a read of the funniest thread ever on scoobynet.

Tweaky's story.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=446928

Alternatively - juts put a reply to it - saying you've spent the last hour reading it and how funny it all is - should annoy a few of the muppets
Old 12 September 2005, 04:27 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

No Reality Nooooooooo

Old 12 September 2005, 08:02 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Quality, I like it!

PMSL at the retards wasting their time telling someone else to stop wasting their time, ooh the irony!
Old 12 September 2005, 08:59 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101
You should start a protest thread Blockade the streets of london.
Just not on a red route

John.