Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Petrol Price drop in France...

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2005, 12:12 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Petrol Price drop in France...

the French govt have forced the oil companies to cut their prices or face an additional tax on the extra money they are making.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4231650.stm

why can't our govt do that???!!!
Old 10 September 2005, 12:14 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I think we know the answer. The treasury are rubbing their hands together in glee. Think of all those new speed cameras we can install, bus lanes we can implement and useless traffic calming schemes we can introduce with this windfall.....

I hate this Government.
Old 10 September 2005, 12:44 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

As much as I don't like the French I have to take my hat off to them

They don't allow themselves to be pushed around like us Brits do

Why can't our country be like that

Old 10 September 2005, 12:59 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

I hardly think 0.03 of a Euro is worth celebrating. Especially, as like here, its Government TAX thats responsible for the high price. NOT crude oil rising slightly. UK fuel tax is roughly 230% of the actual fuel cost. Shell can sell you a litre for 30p ish, thats everything for them. Transporting it, selling it, and profit margin. The Government makes the price a quid!

Seems the French Government were listening to Gordon Brown, shift the blame onto the fuel companies and save the Government the embarressment
Old 10 September 2005, 01:10 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rr_ww
I hardly think 0.03 of a Euro is worth celebrating. Especially, as like here, its Government TAX thats responsible for the high price. NOT crude oil rising slightly. UK fuel tax is roughly 230% of the actual fuel cost. Shell can sell you a litre for 30p ish, thats everything for them. Transporting it, selling it, and profit margin. The Government makes the price a quid!

Seems the French Government were listening to Gordon Brown, shift the blame onto the fuel companies and save the Government the embarressment
At last someone with a brain realising the tax is the problem.

If the government lowered it to make the price what it was before it started hiking things wouldnt be so bad - but they are loving this EXTRA tax they are getting.
Old 10 September 2005, 02:38 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by scarey

why can't our govt do that???!!!
Our government? Do something useful??

Come on!!! That will never happen!!!!

Seems another clear cut example of other governments serving their people whereas New Labour simply rules over us.

Last edited by unclebuck; 10 September 2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10 September 2005, 04:06 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

If you read the story it looks like france is paying £1 a litre too so they are being rear ended by their government too
Old 10 September 2005, 04:33 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

ENERGY - Price cuts for heating
BRUSSELS - The Belgian government has decided to cut 17.35 percent from the price of heating oil for the period June 1 to December 31 as part of several measures to alleviate the crippling cost of oil for households. For those using natural gas to heat their homes, a similar cut will be introduced from January 1, 2006. (Source:xpats.com)
Old 10 September 2005, 06:09 PM
matt neil
Scooby Newbie

check this out as to just how much tax we get shafted for and where it goes and i hate to spoil the ending but its not spent on the roads!!

http://www.realcaradvice.co.uk/archi...duty.html#more
Old 10 September 2005, 07:10 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Brown has big black hole in his budget to fill and this is helping!

People elected a Labour government three times knowing they were a Tax and spend party so why complain when they do what they are known to be?

If he didnt take it in petrol duty he would get it some other way.
Old 10 September 2005, 07:22 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

why not reduce the duty on fuel and place toll's on the major motorway's?
we travelled to euro disney last week,it cost me 16 euro's to travel 200 miles from calais to paris(airport area),so just over a tenner,working out around 5 pence per mile for the use of the main motorway through france,this does not bother me at all, i want to get somewhere fast,so pay the extra few quid,loose the same sort of amount from the fuel duty,reduce the amount of traffic on the motorway's,if the toll charges are slightly higher at peak times,spreading the traffic load,congestion issue sorted
Old 10 September 2005, 09:35 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob
why not reduce the duty on fuel and place toll's on the major motorway's?
we travelled to euro disney last week,it cost me 16 euro's to travel 200 miles from calais to paris(airport area),so just over a tenner,working out around 5 pence per mile for the use of the main motorway through france,this does not bother me at all, i want to get somewhere fast,so pay the extra few quid,loose the same sort of amount from the fuel duty,reduce the amount of traffic on the motorway's,if the toll charges are slightly higher at peak times,spreading the traffic load,congestion issue sorted

Cos I pay the £180 a year for a small paper beer coaster to drive on the roads. I pay that knowing that all potholes will be magically removed, the roads will have super grippy tarmac on dangerous roads. And speed humps will be placed strategically.

Your "charge people to use the roads twice" scheme sounds an awful lot like Ken Livingstones idea of introducing a charge to reduce congestion, find it works exactly how you expected it to. Then raise the price 60% so you can fill the hole in your budget!
Old 10 September 2005, 10:56 PM
speednut
Scooby Newbie

[QUOTE=rr_ww]Cos I pay the £180 a year for a small paper beer coaster to drive on the roads. I pay that knowing that all potholes will be magically removed, the roads will have super grippy tarmac on dangerous roads. And speed humps will be placed strategically.

You ought to try living where I do...in the 1/2 mile from my house to the main road there is at least 2000 repairs to the road, many failing, there are still pot holes (in the last 3 years this has resulted in 1 written off wheel, 2 written off tyres and 2 buckled OZ supperleggers). Some of the repairs rival the biggest speed bumps. It's like a farm track. Don't get me sarted on the rest of Plymouth...
Old 11 September 2005, 02:36 AM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

wooop de flipping do, dropped by all of approx 1.5p. You can save more than that by driving the extra few miles to a different station. Its just pee pee in the wind when the prices have risen 10p in just over a month.

J
Old 11 September 2005, 10:06 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

We have tolls here. Nipping down the motorway and back, maybe 10 miles each way, costs just over a euro per trip. At the end of the month I tend to get a bill of IRO 30euros.

That's an extra 200 quid a year, and I'm on 10k a year mileage.

And road tax here is calculated on the size of the engine and the age of the car, so new Jag drivers can pay 300 pounds pa to enjoy the delights of their motor.

Dunno fuel prices, I have a card I think diesel is about 1.10 per litre, which is what, 70p?