Anyone into home cinema?

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2005, 05:13 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone into home cinema?

We are in the process of buying a new house, and I will finally be able to use one of the rooms as a home cinema.

The only info I can find at present on the net, involves spending mega money...excluding the screen and projector, I only really want to spend about £500...

Soundproofing isn't an issue as we are going to be detached - does anyone have any ideas for carpet/walls ceiling colours/ideas?

The room's 17ftx8ft, so is a decent size
Old 09 September 2005, 05:48 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

well if your really into bugetting why not go with Plasterboard and carpet the whole wall with some cheapie material from a local curtain type shop. Should look smart if you take your time to do it. A projector and screen can be had for reasonable money if you look. Try the AV mags, even try www.avforums.com

You can try to do a raised area for a sofa by building some MDF etc. With the right skills it can easily be done under £500 IMO. only the projector will cost you that on its own lol

I plan on doing this in the future, always wanted my own cinema room

Some good ideas here too

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236923
Old 09 September 2005, 05:52 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Cheers for those links - I'm budgeting £1k for a projector and screen...
Old 09 September 2005, 05:55 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Like I say it'll depends on your and/or your mates skills. Electrics could be tricky for some people, if your confident to do it yourself then it'll be a piece of cake
Old 09 September 2005, 06:41 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamesemt

Are you putting it in the hall then

Chip
Old 09 September 2005, 08:05 PM
RB5201
Scooby Regular

You havent mentioned speakers etc, if you want true home cinema you need a decent sound set up to go with the big screen or projector. Before I bought my plasma I was not fussed about the sound, thought tv speakers would be fine, then during the demo I watched a scene from saving private ryan, without surround sound/subwoofer etc and then with. I can not explain how much the sound brings the film to life, I was gobsmacked and realised I needed to increase my budget to allow for this.
For decent speakers, sub, amp, cables etc you will be looking at about £1000-£2000, but without it you will not have true home cinema.
Old 09 September 2005, 10:48 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jamesemt
We are in the process of buying a new house, and I will finally be able to use one of the rooms as a home cinema.

The only info I can find at present on the net, involves spending mega money...excluding the screen and projector, I only really want to spend about £500...

Soundproofing isn't an issue as we are going to be detached - does anyone have any ideas for carpet/walls ceiling colours/ideas?

we moved into a new house around 3 months back, that had the internal double garage converted into a sound-proofed playroom. Perfect I thought

Over the last 8 weeks or so I've spent many an evening converting it into a home cinema. Setup so far is a Sony VPL HS3 projector, ceiling mounted, Yamaha 6.1 power amp, Philips DVD player and mission Volare #3's floor standing speakers. I've painted the end wall bright wight and once the black-out blinds are down its crystal clear. Got the Xbox and Gamecube linked up to it as well

Everyone thats seen it so far has been blown away by it - massive picture and massive sound. The scene in I-Robot when he gets attacked by ronots in his Audi is simply awesome!

My home cinema setup has been built in stages over the last few years, with bits upgraded / added as times gone by.

Still got some work to do to finish it though (carpet and hifi cabinet)

I'll post some pics up soon if you like.

If your budget is around £500, I would buy a second hand projector (check Home Cinema choice for some good suggestions) and a decent DVD/amp combo (Sony do a decent one now, inc sat speakers and passive sub for around £250) .

Also, clear one of your walls and paint it bright white - save on the £££ of a screen. Might just do it all for around £500 ish.

Neil
Old 10 September 2005, 10:02 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5201
You havent mentioned speakers etc, if you want true home cinema you need a decent sound set up to go with the big screen or projector. Before I bought my plasma I was not fussed about the sound, thought tv speakers would be fine, then during the demo I watched a scene from saving private ryan, without surround sound/subwoofer etc and then with. I can not explain how much the sound brings the film to life, I was gobsmacked and realised I needed to increase my budget to allow for this.
For decent speakers, sub, amp, cables etc you will be looking at about £1000-£2000, but without it you will not have true home cinema.
Already got the amp, sub and speakers from an earlier attempt!! The 42 inch telly is now going in the living room
Old 10 September 2005, 10:05 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NeilT

If your budget is around £500, I would buy a second hand projector (check Home Cinema choice for some good suggestions) and a decent DVD/amp combo (Sony do a decent one now, inc sat speakers and passive sub for around £250) .

Also, clear one of your walls and paint it bright white - save on the £££ of a screen. Might just do it all for around £500 ish.

Neil
Sorry, didn't make myself clear. The £500 budget is to decorate the room - NOT for hardware...
I've got all the audio gear, and plan on £1k for the screen and pj.

Pictures would be good
Old 11 September 2005, 10:48 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask for advice at your local Home Cinema shop, get all the cables routed through the walls/under the floor while you have the chance. Theres loads of info on the net for soundproofing, the concepts for building home music studios are similar (without the egg boxes on the walls).