Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Royal Mail International problem

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2005, 12:49 AM
Pistol_Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal Mail International problem

Hi all, need a bit of advice on a dispute with Royal Mail International.

Around the 5th July I purchased a item on Ebay Germany and paid by sending cash via registered post. I actually purchased Euro's from the post office counter to make up part of the amount.
The letter was delivered on 9th July and the same day the seller contacted me asking why I had not sent the money. I know that I put the money in there, so the letter must have been opened, the money then stolen and then resealed somewhere in the postal system.

I then submitted a claim for to royal mail for the total amout ( approx £150 in Euros, I paid for extra compensation limit because of the amount.

Royal Mail sent me this letter back a few days later ...
`The postal administration in Germany has confirmed that you letter was delivered on 9th July 2005. However, when the item was delivered, the recipient did not raise a letter any objection with the postman as to the condition of the item. For a claim of missing contents to be considered, an objection must be raised at the point the item is delivered or collected. Without objection, we must assume that the contents wre intact when received.
I am sorry I cannot send you a more favourable reply on this occasion. We now consider this matter resolved.`

--
I telephoned Royal Mail and spoke to somebody in the `chairmans office` stating that in my opinion the letter had been opened, the money removed, the letter then resealed and delivered as normal. They said this was not possible, I asked had they not heard of sellotape ?
They then said that because it had been signed for they were not prepaired to consider compensation. I pointed out that it could be opened and resealed without leaving any evidence and anway how would the addresse know the condition of the envelope when sent ? I also pointed out that he would not realise something was wrong until he opened the letter which the postman will not hand over until he signed for it.
Royal Mail however, stuck to its guns and refused to consider compensation.

--

I then contacted the consumer body of the postal industry ( Postwatch ) they agreed with my suggestion that the letter could have been tampered with and admitted that this was already a known serious problem. Postwatch agreed to take on my case and wrote to Royal Mail on my behalf stating the points I had already made.

Royal Mail once again refused compensation and Postwatch admitted that they couldnt force Royal Mail to. Royal Mail are sticking to there belief that the letter could not be opened during transit and that it should not have been signed for if there was a problem with it. They refuse to accept that the addresse would not know there was a problem until after he signed for it. So far they have not doubted that I did in fact send the money.

So here I am, out of pocket and pretty annoyed at Royal Mail. Can anyone make any suggestions as to what I could do next ?
What chance would I have with winning any legal action ? Or should I just face the fact that they will never pay up and chalk it up to experience ?
Any suggestions or comments would be most welcome.

Two other things I should add. They lost my first claim form for compensation - it got lost in the post and they also sent the same letter to my address but for a different case/ claiment. This letter apart from showing how inept they are also declined compensation for the same reason.

Well thats it, sorry I have dronned on and thanks for taking the trouble to read it.
Old 07 September 2005, 12:59 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

sorry to know about your trouble mate.I'd write to the royal Mail again and keep a copy of every correspondence with them.You can try http://freeadvice.com/ and may get some legal help from them.
hope you get it sorted.
Old 07 September 2005, 01:08 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

post watch normally get things sorted.... when my protests have bene iognored by royal snail, postwatch have pursued it and got it sorted!

Had several written and in person apologies, and numerous compensation checks and books of free stamps.

The opening then resealing thing has happened to me before too..... but normally it just disappears! Had several reocrded letters/records posted several months ago that have just 'vanished' (been swiped)

If they wont play ball then just send something else to someone, that gets 'broken' or lost, then claim from that.
Not strictly legal, but its either that or be out of pocket.

p.s- I always sign 'not checked' on everything now

Freak- very pissed off with the postal 'service'
Old 07 September 2005, 01:17 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Freak- very pissed off with the postal 'service'

They are pretty cr@p on international level.
Old 08 September 2005, 02:27 PM
mmmiddy
Scooby Regular

Of course there is the possibilty that the seller is trying it on, and has in fact received your cash!
Old 08 September 2005, 03:13 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

My brother had a serious complaint where a package was posted to him and arrived with the stamp removed (although franked when the stamp was on) and ripped open but the contents not stolen...
He had to pay the surcharge on the postage to collect it and complained when he received it... Got absolutely nowhere...They get so many complaints they seem to automatically decline all claims... I remember the Despatches programme, shocking
I would take your correspondence and story to the CAB to discuss next steps... I tried them recently re a different matter and they were incredibly helpful for no cost
Old 08 September 2005, 03:42 PM
mmmiddy
Scooby Regular

http://www.channel4.com/news/2004/04...ches_post.html
Old 08 September 2005, 07:55 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i lost £150 about 5 months ago when i bought sum sti seats

my fault for not sending it registerd post i suppose
never had a problem sending cash before and have done so many times, royal should not operate like this.
Old 08 September 2005, 10:05 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I'd never send cash as you have no proof who took it and when.

It is most likely that the recipient has taken the cash and then decided to pull a fast one. It is very difficult to determine if a letter contains just cash, or just a letter. I would doubt that the cash was intercepted mid journey. It can happen, and it does. It is just more likely that the recipient has taken your money
Old 09 September 2005, 08:54 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

I have sent a laptop via Royal Mail to Texas, just coming up to a month ago and I still havent had word of its delivery. Luckily its insured but even so its a pain in the ***.
Old 09 September 2005, 12:22 PM
mmmiddy
Scooby Regular

What service did you use to send it Stueyb?

You should have a tracking number, go on the Royal Mail website and check on there.

If you sent it airmail, it will have left this country the same day you posted it.