Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

SatNav with a PDA

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2005, 10:01 AM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SatNav with a PDA

Off to work in the states (California) for a couple of months, and have decided that as I'm going to be travelling around a bit at weekends, then I'd quite like SatNav to stop me getting lost (oh so easy to do in the US!)

Bought the Mrs a Tom Tom 300 for her birthday (which she wont let me steal - bugger!), and think it's superb, but dont really see the point of having two dedicated units.

I've spotted a Tom Tom Navigator 5 series of CDs on eBay for 15 notes with UK, and US maps (yes, I know it's probably not legit, but I can live with my conscience), so reckoned that a PDA and a bluetooth GPS receiver would be a good investment (as I will get a bit of use from a PDA as long as I can synch it with MS Office)

So - any recommendations on GPS Receivers or PDAs? Bluetooth preferred. I've tried the usual GPS sites, but they really only sell bundles (so my nice cheap/dodgy Navigator 5 s/w would be pointless, and I'm a tight-wad!). Plenty of stuff on e-Bay, but I dont really know what to look for, or what combinations work (I've heard of various compatibility issues). What do any of you guys use, and have you had any problems. Once I've decided on the kit, I'll work out where to source it from

Cheers
SB
Old 04 September 2005, 10:07 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I recently bought a bluetooth GPS receiver on ebay for just under 60 quid for use with tomtom5 on my mobile phone.

Used it round Europe last week and it was excellent.

A mate has the same GPS receiver (Fuzion X50) and it works fine with his Palm PDA.
Old 04 September 2005, 10:42 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Got my Ipaq 2110 on ebay and bought a gps receiver for about 50. Cheaper than the shops and will sync with microsoft products. Can't live without it now.
Old 04 September 2005, 10:44 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Another thing to remeber is that if you are buying an old-ish PDA, made sure it has enough memory to store the tomtom US maps, and they'll be big - almost certainly over 1gb.
Old 04 September 2005, 10:48 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scumbag
I've spotted a Tom Tom Navigator 5 series of CDs on eBay for 15 notes with UK, and US maps (yes, I know it's probably not legit, but I can live with my conscience),
As long as you don't come on here asking what to do when you can't activate the maps
Old 05 September 2005, 08:27 AM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Another thing to remeber is that if you are buying an old-ish PDA, made sure it has enough memory to store the tomtom US maps, and they'll be big - almost certainly over 1gb.
I think they come in downloadable 64MB files for different areas...remember reading that changing between the areas, or navigating between them took a bit of getting used to.

Maybe I will check on the un-locking process