Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Conversion to bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2005, 02:39 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversion to bluetooth

Bought a '52 plate BMW 330 with built in Motorola phone (which is crap - phone, not car!). I would love to use my own phone with the built in kit, but it obviously doesnt have the right physical connection

Any idea how much it would cost, or where I could go to get it converted to Bluetooth? (other than BMW, obviously!).

At the moment I'm changing the Sim round to the Motorola if I go on a long journey, but that is a pain.

TIA
Old 31 August 2005, 02:46 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

You mean the centre console has a motorola dock? If so they are optional extras, if your phone is compatable go see your dealer.

However if it's not, all is not lost, my SPV connects using bluetooth, however as it doesn't dock, it won't charge or use the car aerial, nor will it transfer the phone book. Can still make and receive calls though.
Old 31 August 2005, 02:51 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Didnt think they offered anything other than the motorola dock. Normal phone is a work Nokia (which will change, hence I wanted the bluetooth compatibility).

I'm sure the dealer will 'upgrade' the car to a bluetooth kit, but I'm also sure I'll get charged silly prices for it - wondered if there was anywhere else I might go

I'm only worried about the connection to receive calls - not worried about phonebooks or charging (sorry - should have been more specific)

Cheers
SB
Old 31 August 2005, 02:56 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Surely you could just get a Nokia or SonyEricsson Bluetooth car kit for around £100? I believe that the factory Bluetooth kit is a £350 option.
Old 31 August 2005, 02:59 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scumbag
Didnt think they offered anything other than the motorola dock. Normal phone is a work Nokia (which will change, hence I wanted the bluetooth compatibility).

I'm sure the dealer will 'upgrade' the car to a bluetooth kit, but I'm also sure I'll get charged silly prices for it - wondered if there was anywhere else I might go

I'm only worried about the connection to receive calls - not worried about phonebooks or charging (sorry - should have been more specific)

Cheers
SB
Go see here

http://www.bmwbluetooth.co.uk/phonedb/default.asp
Old 31 August 2005, 03:17 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Cheers Matt, but the current set up is a physical link...the car doesnt have bluetooth...or am I being dim (as usual!). Does the cradle host the blue-tooth link, (hence bluetooth from phone to cradle, and cable from cradle to displaye/speakers), or does the cradle just hold/power the phone, and the bluetooth transmit between the phone and display/speakers?

Might give the dealer a bell...then try and better the price elsewhere.

Was hoping to save money on a full installation, as so much of the kit (speaker/microphone) is already installed

Cheers Guys
SB
Old 31 August 2005, 03:44 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Cheers Matt, but the current set up is a physical link...the car doesnt have bluetooth...or am I being dim (as usual!). Does the cradle host the blue-tooth link, (hence bluetooth from phone to cradle, and cable from cradle to displaye/speakers), or does the cradle just hold/power the phone, and the bluetooth transmit between the phone and display/speakers?

Might give the dealer a bell...then try and better the price elsewhere.

Was hoping to save money on a full installation, as so much of the kit (speaker/microphone) is already installed

Cheers Guys
SB
Sure it's Bluetooth and not hard wired?
Old 31 August 2005, 03:48 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Sure it's Bluetooth and not hard wired?
it is definitely NOT bluetooth...that is the problem
Old 31 August 2005, 03:51 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

it is definitely NOT bluetooth...that is the problem
Sorry, scrub everything I said, thought you had BMW Bluetooth.
Old 31 August 2005, 04:19 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

But, just to confuse things, you can have BMW Bluetooth and still have a phone holder. In this case, the holder just charges the phone and gives the phone access to the hardwired antenna.
Old 31 August 2005, 04:46 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl
But, just to confuse things, you can have BMW Bluetooth and still have a phone holder. In this case, the holder just charges the phone and gives the phone access to the hardwired antenna.
Dont confuse me any more

Just spoke to the dealer - he said £1500 for conversion to blue tooth!!!!!!! (but to be fair he also said to visit Carphone warehouse instead)