Reduce UK Petrol Prices - a rip-off at over 90p a litre

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2005, 02:13 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reduce UK Petrol Prices - a rip-off at over 90p a litre

You may or may not of seen this before, but

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it We are hitting 95p a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying £1 a litre.

Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read it and join in! Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.

The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers.

It's really simple to do!! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point... Keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!! I am sending this note to a lot of people.

If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!

If those three million get excited and pass this on to 10 friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it ... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all(and not buy at ESSO/BP). How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next eight days!!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE £0.69 A LITRE RANGE.

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet, etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso.
Old 31 August 2005, 02:15 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Angry

Please make it stop
Old 31 August 2005, 02:16 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

This has been knocking around for a while now, nothing seems to have happened. Pretty good idea in theory, just getting everyone to do it thats the difficult bit
Old 31 August 2005, 02:31 PM
remfanuk
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Graz!!!!

i have only been a member for a couple of weeks or so, yet everyday this same post keeps coming back to haunt us all!!! when will it stop????

i am in 100% agreement that the price of petrol is too high, whoever is to blame. you want it sorted out? remember the poll tax riots? theres the answer!, cos nothing else is gonna work.
Old 31 August 2005, 02:42 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Old 31 August 2005, 03:04 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

LOL, sorry guys!
Old 31 August 2005, 03:10 PM
RANDY
Scooby Regular

it all comes into the same depots and different grades colleted by the different retailers...... my mate works at one and they all get it from him.....
he don't get a discount though, i've already asked.
Old 31 August 2005, 03:12 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

SIAL
SIAL
SIAL
SIAL
Old 31 August 2005, 03:45 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 31 August 2005, 04:47 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Old 31 August 2005, 05:11 PM
furrydice79
Scooby Regular

lets just get a group buy for one of the big tankers...lol
Old 31 August 2005, 05:21 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If the goverment reduce taxes how are they going to pay the benefits for those poor folk who just don't feel like working god bless them.
Old 31 August 2005, 05:39 PM
AVI-8
Scooby Regular

Would you be happy if your petrol cost around 23 pence a litre.

Some of you may be surprised to know that thats roughly how much it costs, and that includes the profit of both the oil company and the petrol station as well.

It's this dirty stinking fecking labour government which charges around 70 pence per litre in fuel tax added to the price of the petrol which is why we all pay more than most of the world for our fuel.

But hey why are people complaining, it was the majority of the U.K. voters which voted the useless baskets back in again for another four years of ripping the motorist off.

OK so the oil companies are stinking rich, but the government is the reason we all get shat on from a great hight when we fill our tanks up.

The only way they would reduce this rediculous tax is if they thought it would cost them an election.

But that won't be for years now anyway so we will just have to put up with it.

Anyway thats my rant over with for the day.
Old 31 August 2005, 07:41 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

What does SIAL mean
Old 31 August 2005, 09:39 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Originally Posted by bluto22b
What does SIAL mean
subaru in a lake!!!!
Old 31 August 2005, 09:45 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

OMG - I cannot believe someone is dragging this old chestnut out AGAIN

SIAL
Old 31 August 2005, 11:54 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

When the last protests about fuel duty kicked off I didn't get directly involved. If I hear word of anything similar starting up this time around I will be behind it 100% and play my part.

Reasons why they tax so much on fuel (or some they say):

1. To pay for stuff like the NHS - Tax something else higher and why can the rest of Europe get away with such lower levels of fuel tax? Additionally stop wasting so much money on... (almost endless list).

2. To reduce congestion - People need to use their cars. Public transport is by and large a disgrace and you need a car to get 90% of places in an acceptable time frame.

3. To protect the environment - There is zero tax on aviation fuel which does far more damage due to the high altitude nature of this related pollution. A double standard if ever there was one.

Additionally the high fuel tax is driving inflation up (everything needs to be transported) which is going to result in interest rate rises.

They really do take us for idiots and we just accept it.
Old 01 September 2005, 01:30 AM
AVI-8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ben WRX Bug-Eye
When the last protests about fuel duty kicked off I didn't get directly involved. If I hear word of anything similar starting up this time around I will be behind it 100% and play my part.

Reasons why they tax so much on fuel (or some they say):

1. To pay for stuff like the NHS - Tax something else higher and why can the rest of Europe get away with such lower levels of fuel tax? Additionally stop wasting so much money on... (almost endless list).

2. To reduce congestion - People need to use their cars. Public transport is by and large a disgrace and you need a car to get 90% of places in an acceptable time frame.

3. To protect the environment - There is zero tax on aviation fuel which does far more damage due to the high altitude nature of this related pollution. A double standard if ever there was one.

Additionally the high fuel tax is driving inflation up (everything needs to be transported) which is going to result in interest rate rises.

They really do take us for idiots and we just accept it.

Yes there is a tax on aviation fuel but it is at a considerably less rate than the average motorist pays.

I was talking to an aircraft refueler last week and he said that they had sold 500000 litres of fuel that morning (yes thats half a million litres in one morning from the one company at one airport ) and jet A1 costs as much to refine as petrol but costs a quarter of the price due to the lesser tax rate on aviation fuel

Yes we are all idiots for accepting it

The american government tried to increase fuel duty for motorists there and were told to **** off by the taxpayers.

Guess what happened, the government scrapped the proposed fuel duty increase.

ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

IF THE GOVERNMENT KNOWS THAT A FAIR FEW PEOPLE ARE NOT PREPARED TO PUT UP WITH THIS ANY LONGER THEY WILL HAVE TO REDUCE THE FUEL DUTY.

I've said this before and without trying to sound like a complete bore if your'e fed up with being ripped off at the petrol pumps

WRITE OR E-MAIL TO YOUR LOCAL MP AND TELL THEM IN A POLITE WAY THAT YOU ARE COMPLETELY DISCUSTED WITH THE REDICULOUS FUEL DUTY CHARGES AND YOU WON'T VOTE THE ******* IN AGAIN IF THEY DONT REDUCE THE FUEL DUTY.
Old 01 September 2005, 08:49 AM
spark666
Scooby Regular

How much does it cost to fill up a 60 litre tank? Lets say Optimax is approximately 93.9p a litre
Old 01 September 2005, 12:05 PM
willfal
Scooby Regular

96.9 for unleaded
99.9 for super unleaded

optimax..... we dont get that in the highlands of scotland

next time the fuel cost goes up both will be over £1, and i dont think it will be long due to that hurricane

sucks.

Will
Old 01 September 2005, 12:11 PM
jimmyu.r.uk
BANNED

am i right in thinking that tax on RED diesiel is a lot less because its considered essential to industry and farmers etc ? I.E it would badly effect their work / industry if tax on their fuel was too high ?

Yet everyone else that has to work and make a living can get stuffed and pay extortionate rate of tax ?

Whats that all about ?
Old 01 September 2005, 12:19 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by jimmyu.r.uk
am i right in thinking that tax on RED diesiel is a lot less because its considered essential to industry and farmers etc ? I.E it would badly effect their work / industry if tax on their fuel was too high ?

Yet everyone else that has to work and make a living can get stuffed and pay extortionate rate of tax ?

Whats that all about ?
True but red diesel is not allowed on the public highway and if you get caught using it you get fined big time. Red diesle is purely for agrucultural machinery and maybe building site vehicles that do not use the road.

I don't know how it works if a farmer needs to use the road to get around his farm though.
Old 01 September 2005, 12:21 PM
jimmyu.r.uk
BANNED

oh i know its ilegal on the road but its the stupidity of it that gets me
Old 01 September 2005, 12:35 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AVI-8
Would you be happy if your petrol cost around 23 pence a litre.

Some of you may be surprised to know that thats roughly how much it costs, and that includes the profit of both the oil company and the petrol station as well.

It's this dirty stinking fecking labour government which charges around 70 pence per litre in fuel tax added to the price of the petrol which is why we all pay more than most of the world for our fuel.

But hey why are people complaining, it was the majority of the U.K. voters which voted the useless baskets back in again for another four years of ripping the motorist off.

OK so the oil companies are stinking rich, but the government is the reason we all get shat on from a great hight when we fill our tanks up.

The only way they would reduce this rediculous tax is if they thought it would cost them an election.

But that won't be for years now anyway so we will just have to put up with it.

Anyway thats my rant over with for the day.
What he said!

Take the protest to the government!
Old 01 September 2005, 12:36 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobile cranes run on Red diesel and they use the road all the time, everyday in most cases. Still catergorised as agricultural vehicles though.

Even the tax discs are ridiculously cheap. £165.00. In some cases the vehicle has a gross travelling weight of 108 tonnes (there are some a bit more than that!)
Old 01 September 2005, 04:14 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by willfal
96.9 for unleaded
99.9 for super unleaded

optimax..... we dont get that in the highlands of scotland

next time the fuel cost goes up both will be over £1, and i dont think it will be long due to that hurricane

sucks.

Will
The price of 'gas' is already rocketing up in the States as the result of Katrina, People are complaining like hell about it - it has reached - wait for it... a massive... £1.80p a gallon!!

"Oil production in the Gulf of Mexico had largely been shut down during the hurricane. With the resulting drop in production, gasoline shortages developed in some areas of the country, and prices surged above $3 a gallon. In response, the Department of Energy said it would release oil from the nation's strategic reserve to offset the production losses."
Old 01 September 2005, 05:09 PM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by AVI-8
Yes there is a tax on aviation fuel but it is at a considerably less rate than the average motorist pays.

I was talking to an aircraft refueler last week and he said that they had sold 500000 litres of fuel that morning (yes thats half a million litres in one morning from the one company at one airport ) and jet A1 costs as much to refine as petrol but costs a quarter of the price due to the lesser tax rate on aviation fuel

Yes we are all idiots for accepting it

The american government tried to increase fuel duty for motorists there and were told to **** off by the taxpayers.

Guess what happened, the government scrapped the proposed fuel duty increase.

ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

IF THE GOVERNMENT KNOWS THAT A FAIR FEW PEOPLE ARE NOT PREPARED TO PUT UP WITH THIS ANY LONGER THEY WILL HAVE TO REDUCE THE FUEL DUTY.

I've said this before and without trying to sound like a complete bore if your'e fed up with being ripped off at the petrol pumps

WRITE OR E-MAIL TO YOUR LOCAL MP AND TELL THEM IN A POLITE WAY THAT YOU ARE COMPLETELY DISCUSTED WITH THE REDICULOUS FUEL DUTY CHARGES AND YOU WON'T VOTE THE ******* IN AGAIN IF THEY DONT REDUCE THE FUEL DUTY.
So if the Government says "okay, we'll cut the rate of tax on fuel - how do you want to make up the twenty-odd billion pound budget hole then folks?", what do you suggest?

Close a few hospitals? Sack a few teachers?

I'd love to pay a lower price for fuel as much as anyone but it's not going to happen.
Old 01 September 2005, 05:51 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

As above.

Love to see it down to 80p a litre. I could live with that.

But its never going to happen.

Eventually it will tax people off the roads. OR fuel theft will increase dramatically. But still nothing will change.