Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

No wonder they dont get any respect!

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2005, 09:51 AM
wrighty69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink No wonder they dont get any respect!

Just dropped the car of for it's MOT this morning and as I pulled into the garage there are 2 police cars pulled up in the MOT bay, and four coppers sat in the office drinking a brew with the owner of the garage.

As I stepped out of the car all four of them turned round lokked at the scoob then stared straight at me. (if looks could kill)

I said good morning.

No reply!

Do you know if the owner is about?

No reply! Just deathly silence!

Anyway the owner of the garage then came through and took my details and my keys.

Think I'll be having a numberplate check done now! Even though the cars all ligit and it is fully insured ,serviced well, Taxed MOT'd they still are ignorant and have no common courtesy! I even felt guilty for not doing anything! No wonder no one respects them anymore, they could'nt catch a cold!

As I walked out I said cheekly, "thanks for the chat lads!" at least I have manners.
Old 31 August 2005, 10:07 AM
staffychance
Scooby Regular

You are 100% right mate, useless, only catch people that have made a mistake, not people that are actually commiting crimes on a daily basis and getting away with it.

And when they do speak to genuine people they seem to take **** out on us, and be dead awkward about things.

WELL DONE anyway with the comment PMSL
Old 31 August 2005, 10:18 AM
wrighty69
Scooby Regular

If I'd nicked a Subaru would I really take it for an MOT! I think not! They just need to have a bit of respect I PAY THIER WAGES! (not just me obviously, i'm getting on my high horse now.)
Old 31 August 2005, 10:20 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Originally Posted by wrighty69
four coppers sat in the office drinking a brew with the owner of the garage.

They were probably embarrased because you caught them sitting 0n their cans doing nothing
Old 31 August 2005, 10:39 AM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Prob at the dealers to get the wash wipe filled up and the donut staines out of the seats

Old 31 August 2005, 10:46 AM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

Got pulled couple of weeks ago, going home late friday night been visiting some friends and had a single beer with them, just poodling home in my scoob, no cars really, just a single pug i wasted of the lights, no racing just upto speed limit, next lights i see white car in the inner lane i go to the outside getting closer i can see its the cops, comming up next to them 3 sitting in the car looking at me, i just mind my buisness and go when its green, pull in infront of the coppers as i should keeping speed limit exactly, after 1 minute they overtake me drive up next to me and then infront of me, then they fall back behind me again and i get the lights from them, pullover, female copper comes to my door, first remark from her "your car sounds like a fishing boat" not said with humour

you had anything to drink tonight, i said yes i had a single beer after work with my friends, oh do you mind blowing the alcometer then, no i have nothing to hide its ok, sure enough the alcometer shows i told the truth

giving me back my drivers license she remarks ok your good to go but dont do it again, do what ? drink a single beer after friday work ?

start up the scoob and turn around to reverse out where ive been parked coppers behind me and i see this male copper in passenger seat giving me a stare like "we know you did something wrong we gonna catch you someday"

wtf is that all about ?, no respect at all for coppers like that, get a life..
Old 31 August 2005, 12:04 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Such a difficult issue this one and I've have so many varying experiences: wether it's been out on the lash, in a variety of cars from tepid hatches to the RA or at football. I've found coppers to display exactly the same social characterisitcs as the rest of society;some I like and would have a pint with and some I want to bash violently about the head. In between there's an entire spectrum of personality traits, some of which are irritating, indearing, silly, humorous and so own. No different to Scoobynet, work or the pub.

I guess the issue with the Police is, like all organisations, the culture is dictated by the upper echelons save were the individual has enough knowledge to make his or her own judgements. A good example is the difference between a traffic cop and beat coppers. Get pulled by a traffic cop and I've found that you can normally reason, have a chat, hear comments like "nice car mate" and "don't do it again". Beat cops - by the book, by the book, by the book. Their DI has cascaded the notion that anyone in their 20s and 30s in a Scoob/Evo is likely to be commiting motoring offences and so weak minded, ill-informed young coppers (who otherwise may be perfectly sound) regard us with an air of suspicion. The gaffer has spoken, preconceptions have been formed and the behaviours described in the first post are subsequently displayed (not by all, but by many). Within the group you described there would have been a dominant character, if he/she chose not to repond to you, the chances are the others would follow suit.

Exactly the same at football. True story; Argyle V Colchester a few years back. I'm in the end with all the numptie's (I was 17) wannabe hooligans, singers and so on. As it happens there's no agro, it's a good atmosphere with just a bit of banter between the fans. The Police look fairly non-plussed by it all and you can see a couple of them stood chatting and smiling and starting to mantally count the £100 they've earnt for the last 4.5 hours. And then, who turns up but the Chief Super. He starts chatting with the Seargent, the constables straighten their backs and start staring at my little gang and within a couple minutes people are being asked to sit down, not to swear etc and inevitably people get the hump. Some lads answer back, which prompts a shove from the YOUNG coppers, the lad retaliates and gets arrested, his mates try to stop him getting arrested and other coppers get involved (with half an eye on the CS) and off you go. Classic, and I've seen it so many times.

The thing is the Police are only playing the percentages game. The Argyle lads were all a bit naughty really and the most likely to give plod a result. Subaru Impreza drivers DO DRIVE MORE QUICKLY then fiesta drivers. On average, are we better drivers? Yes. Do we have "safer" cars? Yep. Can we overtake more safely? You betcha. Are we more likely to help the CI hit his motoring offences target? Of course we bloomin' are.

There, that's better. One more thing off my chest

Last edited by JTaylor; 31 August 2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 31 August 2005, 12:29 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by ReggieMY99
Got pulled couple of weeks ago, going home late friday night been visiting some friends and had a single beer with them, just poodling home in my scoob, no cars really, just a single pug i wasted of the lights, no racing just upto speed limit, next lights i see white car in the inner lane i go to the outside getting closer i can see its the cops, comming up next to them 3 sitting in the car looking at me, i just mind my buisness and go when its green, pull in infront of the coppers as i should keeping speed limit exactly, after 1 minute they overtake me drive up next to me and then infront of me, then they fall back behind me again and i get the lights from them, pullover, female copper comes to my door, first remark from her "your car sounds like a fishing boat" not said with humour

you had anything to drink tonight, i said yes i had a single beer after work with my friends, oh do you mind blowing the alcometer then, no i have nothing to hide its ok, sure enough the alcometer shows i told the truth

giving me back my drivers license she remarks ok your good to go but dont do it again, do what ? drink a single beer after friday work ?

start up the scoob and turn around to reverse out where ive been parked coppers behind me and i see this male copper in passenger seat giving me a stare like "we know you did something wrong we gonna catch you someday"

wtf is that all about ?, no respect at all for coppers like that, get a life..
A Fishing boat?!?! Not much of a "car-side" manner!!

The police take the line you should not drink and drive at all- that's probably why they were not happy. Am I right in thinking that the police are allowed to arrest you for drink driving if -in their view- your driving has been impaired by alcohol even if you test negative?

NS04
Old 31 August 2005, 12:58 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Strange, never met a bad copper when I have been pulled. I have always got out of the car first though and gone to them.

When I got done few months ago (110 in a 50, wide open straight road, no houses, clearway so no pedestrians or children please note), the police man was nice, friendly and gave me a FP.

They are not all bad, my Uncle and cousin are great.
Old 31 August 2005, 12:59 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

Yes they could, their hand held machine could be faulty. But if they got you back to the station and tested you again there and you still showed negative, they would have one almighty job getting you prosecuted for drink driving
Old 31 August 2005, 01:21 PM
Sinister Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IN THE STICKS
They were probably embarrased because you caught them sitting 0n their cans doing nothing
A Barney doing nothing?! You're kidding!

Don't feel bad, mate. They don't do anything here in the States either. All they do is sit in "Dunkin' Donuts," stuffing their fat faces and drinking coffee.
Old 31 August 2005, 01:23 PM
wrighty69
Scooby Regular

Most of the time I have the little un in the back in his Recaro babyseat! Since having mini me I am more chilled out driving and generally stick to the speed limit when he is in the car, because if its just me, its my own fault if anything happens but I would'nt put him in unneccessary danger. Even when I'm on my own around town I stick to the limit, especially with the kids being off school I think if I hit someone or a kid I would give up my licence.

Don't get me wrong out on country roads out in the sticks, I'll put the scooby through her paces, and give it some, only if it just me in the car and I still won't drive like a complete ****.

We like to drive its as simple as that, it pisses us off sat in trafffic on the motrway, but at least were inside a scooby, just makes it that little bit better! When the roads are clear its bliss.

I'm married with a kid I'm 25, I work hard for a living, Ive not had an accident since I've been driving, (4 years touch wood!) Im an old giffer in a young mans body really and people may argue that I don't deserve to drive a scooby. But I dont care its just a shame that we all seem to get tarnished with the wrong brush, but the I suppose our attitudes to the police are just the same so were all guilty of it.

Its a shame but its the way of the world.

I'm going for a lie down now, my catheta bag needs emptying and my slippers are just about warm!
Old 31 August 2005, 02:29 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

i never drink and drive but the law states that you can have a single beer and still drive within the limits and i even waited for 2 hours before i drove after that beer so i should be well below, and thats what the meter showed

and i have been pulled by other cops that was nice and friendly and even asked me questions about the scoob because they knew the car

anyway as stated above i work hard to afford a scoob and pay taxes and their salery, no need to be so rude when they pull ppl over

Reg
Old 31 August 2005, 02:42 PM
Reality
BANNED

You sure it wasn't a group of Male Strippers ?

Most coppers I've met have been fine.

Maybe they had just finished reading ScoobyNet
Old 31 August 2005, 02:58 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Get out the car & go approach them, it makes it a bit easier to deal with, when your eye to eye ... Always worked for me
Old 31 August 2005, 04:52 PM
dlharris
Scooby Regular

Might be a coincidence with the approaching them bit, but a few months back, I was on my way home from a party with my wife who'd had a bit to drink. Turned into a road and pulled over to let her get some fresh air. I noticed the car behind me didn't go around me even though there was plenty of room. I look again and noticed it was a police car. I got out and walked over to them to explain why I stopped. Then I asked them if they wanted to see any paperwork and they said 'No you're ok, we were just a bit concerned as it's a high performance car'. I think me walking to them reassured them that there was nothing going on.
Old 31 August 2005, 04:53 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

will do next time but they freakin quick to park up behind me and approach the door, i did open the door

and yes maybe you are right coppers would like to see no alcohol at all and driving, so they should remove the you can have upto a single beers alcohol in the blood and be within limits

so why not just put it at zero... half the population would loose their drivers license then *lol*
Old 31 August 2005, 05:18 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

So you can get out of your car and go towards them then???
Ah i must be watching too many American Cop shows were they aim a gun at you if you move!!
Old 31 August 2005, 05:19 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

There were there to pick up there dodgy MOT certs for there own private cars........
Old 31 August 2005, 05:25 PM
nonads
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Originally Posted by dlharris
my wife who'd had a bit to drink. Turned into a road and pulled over to let her get some fresh air.
is that all.....
Old 31 August 2005, 06:24 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Such a difficult issue this one and I've have so many varying experiences: wether it's been out on the lash, in a variety of cars from tepid hatches to the RA or at football. I've found coppers to display exactly the same social characterisitcs as the rest of society;some I like and would have a pint with and some I want to bash violently about the head. In between there's an entire spectrum of personality traits, some of which are irritating, indearing, silly, humorous and so own. No different to Scoobynet, work or the pub.

I guess the issue with the Police is, like all organisations, the culture is dictated by the upper echelons save were the individual has enough knowledge to make his or her own judgements. A good example is the difference between a traffic cop and beat coppers. Get pulled by a traffic cop and I've found that you can normally reason, have a chat, hear comments like "nice car mate" and "don't do it again". Beat cops - by the book, by the book, by the book. Their DI has cascaded the notion that anyone in their 20s and 30s in a Scoob/Evo is likely to be commiting motoring offences and so weak minded, ill-informed young coppers (who otherwise may be perfectly sound) regard us with an air of suspicion. The gaffer has spoken, preconceptions have been formed and the behaviours described in the first post are subsequently displayed (not by all, but by many). Within the group you described there would have been a dominant character, if he/she chose not to repond to you, the chances are the others would follow suit.

Exactly the same at football. True story; Argyle V Colchester a few years back. I'm in the end with all the numptie's (I was 17) wannabe hooligans, singers and so on. As it happens there's no agro, it's a good atmosphere with just a bit of banter between the fans. The Police look fairly non-plussed by it all and you can see a couple of them stood chatting and smiling and starting to mantally count the £100 they've earnt for the last 4.5 hours. And then, who turns up but the Chief Super. He starts chatting with the Seargent, the constables straighten their backs and start staring at my little gang and within a couple minutes people are being asked to sit down, not to swear etc and inevitably people get the hump. Some lads answer back, which prompts a shove from the YOUNG coppers, the lad retaliates and gets arrested, his mates try to stop him getting arrested and other coppers get involved (with half an eye on the CS) and off you go. Classic, and I've seen it so many times.

The thing is the Police are only playing the percentages game. The Argyle lads were all a bit naughty really and the most likely to give plod a result. Subaru Impreza drivers DO DRIVE MORE QUICKLY then fiesta drivers. On average, are we better drivers? Yes. Do we have "safer" cars? Yep. Can we overtake more safely? You betcha. Are we more likely to help the CI hit his motoring offences target? Of course we bloomin' are.

There, that's better. One more thing off my chest
Fair point well made. I dont think there is much more i or anyone can add on this subject seems you did have alot to get off your chest! Lol. I think others would do well to read your post you obviously have had experiences with plod good and bad.
Old 01 September 2005, 03:01 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Subaru Impreza drivers DO DRIVE MORE QUICKLY then fiesta drivers. On average, are we better drivers? Yes. Do we have "safer" cars? Yep. Can we overtake more safely? You betcha. Are we more likely to help the CI hit his motoring offences target? Of course we bloomin' are.
Sorry to be pedantic, but I just don't follow your logic. Why would an Impreza driver necessarily be better than a Fiesta driver? If you put that Maureen from "Driving School" in an Impreza, would she be a better driver? It is dangerous for one to over-estimate one's own driving skill. An Impreza has a higher performance than a Fiesta in probably all respects (except fuel economy) so it could help get you out of trouble compared to a Fiesta if in the event of a like-for-like incident. However if you drive faster then you erode the safety margin you would have over the Fiesta.
Old 01 September 2005, 07:34 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Just seems like very bad manners to me-pig ignorance I would call it.

Les
Old 01 September 2005, 12:22 PM
badgerstuffer #2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ben44
Yes they could, their hand held machine could be faulty. But if they got you back to the station and tested you again there and you still showed negative, they would have one almighty job getting you prosecuted for drink driving
The handheld device (SL400) is for indication purposes only and is no evidential. I simply indicates to the officer that you have had a considerable ammount more than a pint to drink. You will then be arrested on SUSSPICION of driving with excess alcohol. You will then be taken to the police station and put on the intoximater which is self calibrating. You will get two blows on this and the lowest reading will be used in evidence. Failure to provide both at the roadside and the station is an offence in itself and WILL result in a conviction.

Hope this helps.

Jason.