Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How comedy has changed

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2005, 10:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How comedy has changed

Has anyone else noticed how comedy has changed, have seen this occuring for some time now, i.e. old Bernard Manning, Jim Davidson and their ilk are long gone (well Jim Davidson still hangs on I suppose) but the way they were racist, sexist and homophobic is much criticised and a lot of people (especially the more right on) say what a fat sweaty evil racist Bernard Manning which to me is as bad as anything he ever came out with.

Anyway, the subtle thing I have noticed that nowadays if you did a standard sketch about 'Homo's', 'Darkies' or 'Sambo's' no comedian would last 30 seconds on stage or get the first show past the censors, quite rightly. But I have noticed that these days they are using stereotypes that start spouting racist or homophobic terms and then have the laugh at them, for example

In Little Britain, the posh old woman who vomits when anything she eats happens to be made by a Gay person or a black person, "Please Marjorie, no more Lesbian jam"

Little Britain again, the college admissions lady who describes the person in front of her to someone on the other end of the phone trying to skirt round the persons most defining characterstic and then blurts out what the person on the phone has said, the Chinese guy gets called 'The Ching Chong Chinaman" and the Dwarf guy get called and Oompa loompa.

Catherine Tate tonight, several Gay refences, none complimentary and probably considered offensive is done in a standard way but from a foul mouthed old lady it seems more acceptable.

Extra's, several examples of Ricky Gervais putting his foot in it with Gay men ,that guy did seem VERY gay and I think he did make a good point, there was also the guy with the built up shoe and a few other examples.

So it seems if the person doing the racism, sexism or homophobia is portrayed as a bit of a pillock or as being insensitive you can get away with anything, I suppose this method was first pioneered by Alf Garnett but has been resurected quite a bit recently.

I personally welcome this, not as a way for comedy to take a cheap shot at minorities but it means that a way round the stifling pc-ness has been found.

I think most people will think this way, I mean, I loved the old Goodness Gracious me sketch where all the Indian people go out for an 'English', parodying the British custom of getting hammered and ordering the hottest thing on the menu, I didnt find that offensive and would be glad to have the p1ss taken out of me more often, we all get by on a little bit of gentle p1ss taking, it makes us feel included and valued because someone has gone to the trouble of writing the script, as long as it done to cause offence or hurt I dont see a problem.
Old 25 August 2005, 10:34 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good observation, but the old school comedy didn't seem to focus on the quirky/funny or charachteristic aspects of a particular race.....

For examople, Manning's joke about the english and asian neighbours falling out over the goose egg....the englishman didnt kick gupter in the bollocks because he won the egg, it was because he was gupter...

More modern stuff like the Goodness gracious "english" sketch, or the asians that play golf and call themselves smythe is a different thing, it is ridiculing the english "stiffness", and there is some self pisstaking going on from the comedians in that they highlight how some asians will do anything to fit in to be "english" .

But yes, its changed, saying that though, I never found myself offended by any form of comedy really.

(apart from Harry Hill, he's just ****e )
Old 25 August 2005, 10:34 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, queers who like Gold wheels deserve all the jokes we can throw at them!!!

Pete
Old 25 August 2005, 10:38 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by pslewis
Sorry, queers who like Gold wheels deserve all the jokes we can throw at them!!!

Pete
No need to apologise. You're queer, and you're here!
Old 26 August 2005, 08:21 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I think the shift you describe is comedians parodying people who they percieve are "still" anti gay or racist, rather than being racist or homophobic themselves.