Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bloody Marvellous - thanks Plod

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2005, 12:28 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bloody Marvellous - thanks Plod

Travelled down from Scotland on Friday to attend the Castle Combe Rally Day on Saturday 13 August. (can't remember who was driving though )

Just received a 'Notice of Intended Prosecution'.

Thanks very fookin much ya barstewards.

Why don't you **** off & catch some real criminals or those a$$holes who drive at 35-40mph out of town holding every body up & keep the same speed in a 30mph limit area thereby going ahead of those people that actually abide by the in town limit.

Don't get me wrong if you break the law, you should take the consequences but I NEVER exceed 20, 30 & 40 mph speed limits and to get pulled up for cruisng down the motorway not much above the 70mph limit really pi$$es me off.

Flame suit on just in case

Anybody know what my chances of avoiding a fine & points are? and what happens if you don't say who was driving?

Den
Old 16 August 2005, 12:41 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Big Den
Travelled down from Scotland on Friday to attend the Castle Combe Rally Day on Saturday 13 August. (can't remember who was driving though )

Why don't you **** off & catch some real criminals or those a$$holes who drive at 35-40mph out of town holding every body up & keep the same speed in a 30mph limit area thereby going ahead of those people that actually abide by the in town limit.

Don't get me wrong if you break the law, you should take the consequences but I NEVER exceed 20, 30 & 40 mph speed limits and to get pulled up for cruisng down the motorway not much above the 70mph limit really pi$$es me off.

Anybody know what my chances of avoiding a fine & points are? and what happens if you don't say who was driving?

Den
Condolences mate. Was it a Scamera then?

Head over to peepipoo.com (I may have spelt that wrong) for advice on how to deal with tickets. There are ways of contesting -depending on the circumstances under which you were caught- but you need to be clued up. As far as I know, you cannot simply fail to nominate a driver, or the registered keeper of the vehicle gets it and the penalty is worse, in the insurance companies eyes at least. IIRC you are required to prove that you've made every effort to find out who the driver was.

Best of luck.

NS04
Old 16 August 2005, 12:43 PM
scooby_99turbo
Scooby Regular

Red face

Yep if you tell them you dont know who was driving all possible drivers get a MS90 not producing your docs,Happened to me at leeds It could of been one of 3 so the Judge gave us all a MS90 (3 points) and 160 quid fine plus costs.

So me thinks you put yours and wifes licence in a bowl and take your pick.

other than that take it like a man.

But they are twots aint they..

Originally Posted by Big Den

Den
Old 16 August 2005, 12:49 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how can they penalise 2 innocent people?
Old 16 August 2005, 12:51 PM
scooby_99turbo
Scooby Regular

I dont know ask them that thats why we got MS90 because no one admitted the speeding..

Originally Posted by jjones
how can they penalise 2 innocent people?
Old 16 August 2005, 12:55 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

as far as i was aware it should only come down to the owner of the car if you can't say who was driving it as the vehicle is their responsibility. it shouldn't be all those on the insurance. sounds like another barmy judge from brussells to me that in the case above all 3 people got points and fines.

another thing is they'll blow the pic up to try to get an id of who was driving if you don't come clean and it could go to court and cost you more than the 3 points and £60.

it is a pain and i completely agree that they should be off nabbing real criminals esp when their own drivers get let off for doing 160 mph in a car that shouldn't be able to (vectra).
Old 16 August 2005, 01:02 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

the vehicle in question was apparently recorded exceeding the speed limit by one of the so called 'safety cameras' operated by safety camera partnership.

Quote: this allegation is supported by means of videographic evidence

Worrying thing is that this is only about 1/4 of the way down plus we had to travel back on Sunday - hope there are no more surprises.

Thing is I did this same journey every weekend back in 1999/2000 for ~6 months and never got any of this pi$h - shows how times have changed.

I'm really mad - in my eyes I wasn't doing any harm or endangering anyone - if I'd been travelling at 90-100mph+ i'd have seen the point.

you can't even see these ******* and get the chance to slow down - personally I think causing people to break suddenly on a motorway is a bad idea anyway but......

Den
Old 16 August 2005, 01:07 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Put the name and address of someone from Iraq/Iran down and say they were visiting you on holiday and had a drive. Once you have supplied an address and named a driver it is up to the police, not you, to contact the driver and recover payment and issue points
Old 16 August 2005, 01:14 PM
scooby_99turbo
Scooby Regular

Angry

The certain piglet you mention below lives in my area and hes an arseh0le.

2 days after charges were dropped against him he was out with a hand held catching motorists done a few mph over the limit. not 90mph over the limit.How has he got the nerve to give anyone a speeding ticket again is amazment in its self

he was off duty why couldnt the judge see he was out on a jolly.If he had been on duty and chasing jenson button who lives in Telford (NOT).with his blue lights on wouldnt he be controlled by an officer at the station that would be making a risk assesment erm me thinks so,

1 rule for them another for us.....

Originally Posted by mneame
as far as i was aware it should only come down to the owner of the car if you can't say who was driving it as the vehicle is their responsibility. it shouldn't be all those on the insurance. sounds like another barmy judge from brussells to me that in the case above all 3 people got points and fines.

another thing is they'll blow the pic up to try to get an id of who was driving if you don't come clean and it could go to court and cost you more than the 3 points and £60.

it is a pain and i completely agree that they should be off nabbing real criminals esp when their own drivers get let off for doing 160 mph in a car that shouldn't be able to (vectra).
Old 16 August 2005, 01:24 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

how much over 70 was it? i thought that there's a bit of give due to differences in speedo readings from different manufacturers.
Old 16 August 2005, 01:27 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo
Put the name and address of someone from Iraq/Iran down and say they were visiting you on holiday and had a drive. Once you have supplied an address and named a driver it is up to the police, not you, to contact the driver and recover payment and issue points
Great idea . . .Why didn't I think of that?
Old 16 August 2005, 01:27 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_99turbo
The certain piglet you mention below lives in my area and hes an arseh0le.

2 days after charges were dropped against him he was out with a hand held catching motorists done a few mph over the limit. not 90mph over the limit.How has he got the nerve to give anyone a speeding ticket again is amazment in its self

he was off duty why couldnt the judge see he was out on a jolly.If he had been on duty and chasing jenson button who lives in Telford (NOT).with his blue lights on wouldnt he be controlled by an officer at the station that would be making a risk assesment erm me thinks so,

1 rule for them another for us.....
makes me feel sick. and to think we pay his wages!!! the police badge is unfortuneatly not seen by all officers as something that is a privilege, it's seen by some as a get out of jail free card.

i know a couple of coppers and they are nice blokes and seem like they'd be fair, but some can be real a$$holes.
Old 16 August 2005, 01:38 PM
scooby_99turbo
Scooby Regular

One of my best mates is a copper.Really nice guy.But why does the BADGE give you the right to take a £30,000 car for a jolly ?????..

If i went in to work and borrowed the MDs Bmw did 160mph on a A road.Do you think I would have a job ERRRR NO

makes me feel sick. and to think we pay his wages!!! the police badge is unfortuneatly not seen by all officers as something that is a privilege, it's seen by some as a get out of jail free card.

i know a couple of coppers and they are nice blokes and seem like they'd be fair, but some can be real a$$holes.
Old 16 August 2005, 01:53 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

how much over 70 was it? i thought that there's a bit of give due to differences in speedo readings from different manufacturers.
Not sure I know the answer to that as I can't remember who was driving

The NIP (notice of intended prosecution) says 84mph

Den
Old 16 August 2005, 02:02 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

All that rant for 3 points. Welcome to 2005
Old 16 August 2005, 02:03 PM
LDA
Scooby Regular

84?!!

thats harsh. a m8 of mine is a copper and he says they dont bother to even look if you are not doing 85 or more.

sadly its another stelth tax. the motorist has no way of fighting this sort of thing. and the police can keep funind their forces because they can install more cams and catch more people not really doing anything wrong.

more than 1,000,000 motorists in the uk will get a fine of some sort for speeding this year. and i expect it will be even more people next year.

i got done doing 114.5 and i think it was a fair cop. i was well over the limit even tho the road was empty and dry. but 84 is taking the **** a bit.

L.
Old 16 August 2005, 02:36 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Was this on the A74M by any chance, saw scamera van on one of bridges when I travelled back from Scotland in July, luckily no ticket tho.
The Vans are operated by Dumfries and Galloway safety (S)camera partnership, quite a few posts about them on Pepipoo site, as advised get over and have a look www.pepipoo.com
Old 16 August 2005, 02:46 PM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

84mph! providing the road conditions were ok, it should have been obvious you were driving sensibaly, adhering to the 'unofficial' limit. But no! A little number flashes up and 'bang', your nicked. do they use an intelligence test for the police anymore; or is being able to hold a speed-gun enough

Should link to this thread;
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=449033

oddly enough, the only people that seem to have a good opinion of plod; are themselves! Their PR at the moment is at rock bottom, and I don't see them doing anything to restore it.

I've not been a victim of crime, or been done for any motoring offence (in a long time)and I have no confidence or trust in them: why is that?
Old 16 August 2005, 02:48 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

so you get caught 14mph over the speed limit and your moaning? Jeez, accept it. I fyou dont like it dont speed, Im not a goodie goodie and have been known to speed but I know if I was caught Id take the concequences. I thought you was gonna say you was going 75mph or something.... chances are if you was caught doign 84mph, your speedo was reading 90mph Id guess.... not an easy mistake to make (unless your driving a ferrari )
Old 16 August 2005, 02:49 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pacenote
Was this on the A74M by any chance, saw scamera van on one of bridges when I travelled back from Scotland in July, luckily no ticket tho.
The Vans are operated by Dumfries and Galloway safety (S)camera partnership, quite a few posts about them on Pepipoo site, as advised get over and have a look www.pepipoo.com
Pacenote you are spot on, the 'vehicle in question' was southbound. Have been reading pepipoo.com - just trying to decide on the best course of action.

Thanks

Den
Old 16 August 2005, 02:59 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Best course of action is send a driving license off with a £60 cheque and accept it.
Old 16 August 2005, 03:07 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by davegtt
so you get caught 14mph over the speed limit and your moaning? Jeez, accept it. I fyou dont like it dont speed, Im not a goodie goodie and have been known to speed but I know if I was caught Id take the concequences. I thought you was gonna say you was going 75mph or something.... chances are if you was caught doign 84mph, your speedo was reading 90mph Id guess.... not an easy mistake to make (unless your driving a ferrari )
Thanks for your support davegtt - you do have a right to express your opinion

I'm sure whoever was driving may indeed take the consequences if it comes to it

I made my case earlier in the thread - IMHO someone speeding in 30&40 limit areas is more dangerous than someone cruising on a 3 lane motorway slightly over the legal limit - not tail gating anyone & not weaving in & out of traffic.

Den
Old 16 August 2005, 03:56 PM
Alec
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

What sort of time was this? I was travelling down the A74M last friday.

Last edited by Alec; 16 August 2005 at 04:11 PM.
Old 16 August 2005, 04:04 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Alec
What sort of time was this? I'm slightly concered as I was doing 85 ish down the A74M last friday.
Dan, theres your get out clause, tell the police Alec was driving, you have proof look
Old 16 August 2005, 04:05 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Be aware that the partnerships have recently gloated that they are reading internet motoring forums and are gathering evidence through this means. With this in mind you have to be very careful what you say. Give no indication of guilt in respect of any offence, nor any hint of any potential flaws in your defence. Remember all those nice police officers who come on here to defend the police? Well they are also watching you. Little surprise they are the only ones defending the police then is it.

The "innocent until proven guilty" thing is gone so you will be asked to prove that you didn't know who was driving rather than them having to prove who was driving. You can do this by getting the photographic evidence and even, as has happened, requesting CCTV footage from petrol stations that you stopped in along the route. Basically if you show due dilligence then this defence can work very well. Note however that it must be the case that you didn't know who was driving for you to take this route, perjury is a dodgy number.

On a very positive note recent figures show that Lincs partnership flashed approximately 61,000 motorists and they managed to fine only 31,000 so about 50% of motorists don't get fined. Now some of those will be unregistered cars etc. but a proportion will also be people who fight and win. The number of people fighting and winning is on the increase so anyone with a valid defence should use it, the police can read our forums all they like but if you have a valid defence there is nothing they can do.
Old 16 August 2005, 04:11 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Hedgehog, would the Iran/Iraq scam on page 1 work in your opinion?
Old 16 August 2005, 04:25 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Hedgehog, would the Iran/Iraq scam on page 1 work in your opinion?
Naming a driver is now out of the country has apparently worked in the past. However there are also stories that the police now seek evidence that that person was in the country at the time and insured to drive your vehicle.

So it may not be the best defence!

The ironic thing is that the generally law abiding motorist who may exceed the speed limit, which in many cases was set when cars ability to hold the road, or stop was much inferior, are charged given points etc, whilst the guy with no insurance isn;t as his car is not registered to him!
Old 16 August 2005, 04:39 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Next time you pass a scamera van, why not have a game of scamera van baseball ? All you need is :

- a car, obviously, travelling at the correct speed limit
- a passenger, with his window wound down
- a bag full of half-bricks

Simply pass the van at the correct speed limit. The very second your car passes the van, the passenger hoys one of the half-bricks out the window at the van while the driver redlines it in every gear.
Points are scored thusly :

- Smashed windscreen - 10 points
- Wing mirror off - 5 points
- Dented body panel - 3 points

The chances of him giving chase are zero - after all, in the time its taken to chase you he might miss another 10 tickets at £60 a throw, so its not cost effective even taking into account a mashed windscreen.

Anyway, it keeps them on their toes in what would be an otherwise dull task
Old 16 August 2005, 04:43 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Alec
What sort of time was this? I was travelling down the A74M last friday.
I'm not sure Alec as I personally wasn't there

Flat Eric from the TV borrowed my car - you probably seen him in the advert with David Soul.

Den
Old 16 August 2005, 04:47 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Normally I'm first to have a go at speeders who come on here moaning, but 84 on a motorway is bl00dy harsh and I really do sympathise...

Quick Reply: Bloody Marvellous - thanks Plod