Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Career choice- where to turn and what to do

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2005, 01:56 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Career choice- where to turn and what to do

Hi All,

I'm faced with a bit of a career crisis. To be blunt, I'm tired of getting paid pittance in academia. Problem is, it seems that getting career advice when you're 18, haven't made up your mind on what qualifications to take, and don't know what you want to do career-wise is not difficult. However, I'm 28, a post doc and want professional advice on a change in career.

Has anyone on here found themselves in a similar position? If so, tell me your story, I'd be very interested in speaking to individuals who have been there and done it, so to speak. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to sources of professional careeer advice for someone in my position?

Regards,

NS04
Old 24 August 2005, 01:57 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Professional stuntman?
Old 24 August 2005, 02:00 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Milamber
Professional stuntman?
Hmmmm, better get my will in order!

NS04
Old 24 August 2005, 02:00 PM
Reality
BANNED

What's your subject (or special interest).

I wont be able to help - but neither will anyone else without this
Old 24 August 2005, 02:03 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Reality
What's your subject (or sepcial interest).

I wont be able to help - but neither will anyone else without this
I was really just looking for pointers as to what professional bodies may be able to help me mate, as opposed to burdening everyone on here with finding me a new career. Although I would be interested to hear other people's career change stories. FYI My subject is Psychology.

NS04
Old 24 August 2005, 02:08 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Glamour photographer?
Old 24 August 2005, 02:08 PM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I was really just looking for pointers as to what professional bodies may be able to help me mate, as opposed to burdening everyone on here with finding me a new career. Although I would be interested to hear other people's career change stories. FYI My subject is Psychology.

NS04
There you go - get a job as a police psychologist - should think it's pretty interesting and probably pays quite well.

Or maybe set up a Psychological profiling consultancy to weed out the nutters for Big Companies - must be a buck or two to be made there.

Good Luck.
Old 24 August 2005, 03:09 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Are you involved with getting sponsorship for post doc projects at all? I can't really speak for psychology, but one favorite route out of academia in science and engineering is to get a foot in the door of a sponsoring company!

With the pressure for sponsorship of academics these days most of them have a good list of commercial contacts!
Old 24 August 2005, 03:11 PM
Stupid
Scooby Regular

get a proper job
Old 24 August 2005, 03:11 PM
aj1737
Scooby Newbie

do what i did, take some time off and go travell somehwere, your never too old! it will help you focus your mind, and may open up a few opertuniteies!
Old 24 August 2005, 06:07 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Stupid
get a proper job
Like a stuntman perhaps!?!

NS04
Old 24 August 2005, 06:13 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Forensic psychology?
Old 24 August 2005, 06:13 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Talking

Do a Google for Career Analysis / Developers. Then avoid all of them

Theres no shortage of people willing to take your money and tell you nothing you didnt already know. I paid £295 a couple years back and was told I was in the right career for my skills. Funny that seeing as I had been trained for 3-4 years for it! These organisations simply fool you with the promise of a a step-by-step plan to change your life. But its not that easy.

IMO unless you can decide for yourself what you want to do, then you'll never make a go of it. You have to know where your going, what your reward will be and why its worth taking a risk. You also have to be able to like what ever it might be. And put up with the hardships (financial and otherwise) that changing career will throw at you.

The easiest way to consider other vocations. Is to get hold of as many local jobs papers as you can. Not just your location but all over the UK. Flick through them and see what jumps out at you.

EDIT:

Or course if you equate spending money as research on this subject, Amazon have no shortage of books that you can read. And then sit back and do nothing at all about your life.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...781343-1114042

Last edited by rr_ww; 24 August 2005 at 06:16 PM.
Old 24 August 2005, 06:23 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by rr_ww
Do a Google for Career Analysis / Developers. Then avoid all of them
I did wonder! Most were pretty hopeless -though well meaning- during school years TBH If you want a job done right.....

NS04
Old 24 August 2005, 06:40 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

I made a career change from the military, by choice rather than end of contract, and Wright-Coutts consultants provided excellent advice on finding the right follow on career. I did stay in a related field, though I considered many others on the way.

I also run my own exec coaching practice, also some psychotherapy and hypnotherapy and other esoteric stuff (I would have thought your skills would be ideally suited to this type of work) which clearly was not possible in the forces, so now its a case of some work for the public sector and the rest for myself which is very satisfying.

I started by having a very clear life plan about where I wanted to live, how much I wanted to earn (and seeing as this is scoobynet what car I wanted to drive) and then worked towards this plan, so yes advice is useful and I think knowing what you want is a good place to start. I think you can make pretty much anything happen if you have a plan!
Old 24 August 2005, 06:50 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

http://www.careeranalysts.co.uk/

I used these idiots. Psycho metric tests in the morning. Then a 7 hour wait (during which time I walked up and down Oxford Street, Charing Cross Road and Down to Picadilly Circus) And a 1 (or so) Hour chat with an American lady who knew nothing about the Motor Trade in the UK, so really had no idea as to what I did for a living. We finished the tests a little before 11, and was asked to come back at 4. But by the time I actually got to see her it was nearly 6. They claimed they were running late. But understand that there were only 3 people that day. One of which was called Tarquin, who'd been brought down by Mummy and Daddy. I felt seriously out of place as I guess thats the sort of people that go on these courses. I was easily the oldest person there at 24. The other 2 were probably not even 17.

They do send you a report a week or so later. But its basically the notes shes written typed up. Not even made into cohesive sentances. Just "Consider- retraining abroad" They also ask you to fill in a questionaire asking them to say how great they are. I didnt bother. There were further ones at 6 and 12 months. Asking how my life has improved as a direct result of their actions. Again didnt bother.

They also appear to pump some chemicals into the AC unit at their office though. As I came out feeling as if I could do anything I set my mind to. So as a confidence booster its very good. But it didnt give me any answers. Since then Ive worked for 2 companies though at the moment Im un-employed. I changed slightly my role within the Motor Industry. And I got a pay rise, so thats a tangible bonus, but its not as a result of throwing £300 down the toilet. Its a result of me thinking what my skills lend themselves to.

My overiding good memory of that day was a) it snowed and b) I stared through the window of McLarens showroom on Park Lane (now gone )
Old 24 August 2005, 07:25 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Hi NS04. I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago. I sat down and wrote out a list what's important in my life, where my strengths lie and what I enjoy doing. Then I wrote out a big list of occupations and went through one by one and eliminated those that weren't suitable and those where the "pay back" was too little or too slow.

I got sidetracked by an opportunity to come work in Japan, but I'm planning on making the change next year, I already have a place at uni sorted out. Before you make a change, make sure you spend time talking to someone who already does what you're thinking of doing. Ask them what they do day-to-day, what changes are coming in that job/career/industry, what do they like and what don't they like about their job. Also don't be shy in asking them what their salary is, what they started on and how high they could expect it to rise after 5 years, 10 years. Then spend a day shadowing them and seeing for yourself what it entails. Only after you've taken these steps can you be reasonably sure you're going down the right route.

Friends who have made career changes have been glad they did.

Good luck.
BIJ
Old 24 August 2005, 09:10 PM
03-CTR
Scooby Regular

ns04

if you don't mind me asking what sort of grade are you on and what are you after job/salarywise ??

i work in a uni and am near the top of grade 7 academic related. have to say i came from industry into academia and have never been happier. most of my colleagues are traditional academics and all want to make the break into industry (for similar reasons) but it ain't what its all cracked up to be.

however if you really do want out then what are you looking for ?? do you want to stay in psychology or do you fancy a complete change ?? i was originally an electronic/electrical engineer but have ended up retraining as a mechanical engineer. it's been tough but i love what i'm doing and love the benefits of working in a uni.

one of the better things i did was a reflective type course with the ou (t191 iirc). it was a bit cheesy but really helped with highlighting what i was good at, what my goals were, which ones were realistic and which ones were best left by the wayside. the final part was to look into and develop a plan to test the feasibility of my one or two of the goals. suffice to say that i didn't go into automotive