Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can A Mobile Number Be Traced To Its Owner?

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2005, 09:49 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can A Mobile Number Be Traced To Its Owner?

As above really. I have the number and believe it may be a Virgin number?

Thanks

TONY
Old 22 August 2005, 11:54 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

if it truly is a virgins number, PM me her addy if you find out please

the police can for sure, i know from personal experience. if you know a friendly rozzer it would be useful. over and above that i dont know mate.
Old 22 August 2005, 11:54 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

All depends on the reason, if your getting dodgey calls, then no one can be bothered to do anything, they change your number instead. If it's linked with a crime ie: Murder/ bank job etc. Then yes they will trace it through the network/service provider

If it's pay as u go and they pay cash for top up's then no chance, if it on a contract, then the old bill go through the service provider. But even the police can't just have access the details, they have submit a request form to the network/service provider who then fax back account details. This is why they don't do anything about Nuisance calls, takes to long to sort out.
Old 22 August 2005, 12:01 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Only if it is on a monthly contract, if a bloke walked into a carphone whorehouse and bought a PAYG sim with cash then you don't have a chance. That's why they are so popular with criminals..
That's not to say that the police can't track where it is though, they give off a signal and can be tracked within 10 metres
Old 22 August 2005, 12:56 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Ring the number and ask?

Text the number to say they've won a million quid, they just need to reply with their name and address for you to post the cheque.....
Old 22 August 2005, 01:01 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Danny B
Only if it is on a monthly contract, if a bloke walked into a carphone whorehouse and bought a PAYG sim with cash then you don't have a chance. That's why they are so popular with criminals..
That's not to say that the police can't track where it is though, they give off a signal and can be tracked within 10 metres
Only if someone's life is in danger, and even then using triangulation on a mobile signal isnt that accurate. Don't you watch the bill!

Seriously though, the police always call the call centres on the off chance trying to get details of mobile phones, call records etc. They always get told to bugger off as each force has a liaison officer(s) who is the onnly appointed person that the networks will deal with.

You have more chance if you know someone who works for the company but all accounts (even pay and go) have strict audit trails on their computer systems so if you happen to bump into the owner of the number at their address (and fill them in which i assume is your intention)and it comes back to the fact that the only possible way you could have got the address was through the phone number - it would be very very easy to trace back to the person who got you the details and thus you.
Old 22 August 2005, 03:14 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Thanks peeps - Just as I thought
Old 22 August 2005, 04:29 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> Text the number to say they've won a million quid, they just need to reply with their name and address for you to post the cheque.....

It worked! The owner is Mart360, see here

Spooky or what?
Old 23 August 2005, 09:39 PM
StokeRescue
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Originally Posted by tonybooth
As above really. I have the number and believe it may be a Virgin number?

Thanks

TONY
Hi Tony ( Stoke Rescues mrs. )
Yes it is possible to trace the owner, Have you found the phone or have you just acquired the number ;-).
If you have the phone then the police or Virgin can trace the owner by the number & the IMEI number, If you just have the number then there are a few options. ( I have worked in the industry for years )
Old 23 August 2005, 09:50 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StokeRescue
Hi Tony ( Stoke Rescues mrs. )
Yes it is possible to trace the owner, Have you found the phone or have you just acquired the number ;-).
If you have the phone then the police or Virgin can trace the owner by the number & the IMEI number, If you just have the number then there are a few options. ( I have worked in the industry for years )
Not neccesarily as someone else stated.
Anyone can purchase a PAYG mobile and neither the number, nor the IMEI need to be registered to an "owner".