Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Greetings from India

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2005, 03:45 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings from India

Wow, you lot ever want to complain about driving skills, then come to india ! they drive like absolute nutters, i'm surprised that they ever make a complete journey without crashing !

I was fearing for my life as the taxi cab drove consistantly on the wrong side of the road towards lorries and buses ! Phew.... made it through today alive..... not sure about tomorrow though!!
Old 21 August 2005, 04:00 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

LOL

Keep your eyes open for lorries and buses, in particular...that have chunks missing from them where they have smashed into each other in passing!!

Crazy country but with some amazing people
Old 21 August 2005, 04:41 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Suprabeast, all jokes aside I would avoid road journeys as much as possible. The number of deaths on the road there per day per head is more than any other country in the world.
If you can try to take trains and planes.

Which part are you in? If Delhi or Punjab I can recommend you some good restaurants.

Have a good trip!
Old 21 August 2005, 05:11 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

"Three bread rolls........." ?

Old 21 August 2005, 05:19 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

lol anyone who can drive in india or asia can drive anywhere in the world
Old 21 August 2005, 05:58 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moses
lol anyone who can drive in india or asia can drive anywhere in the world
Remember when I drove in Thailand - was crazy - could basically drive however you wanted. Seeing a bus overtake a stream of traffic on the wrong side of the road around a blind bend was quite incredible.
Old 21 August 2005, 06:06 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Suprabeast,as Deep Singh says,be careful and try to avoid road journeys as much as possible in India.Indian roads are very unsafe and there aint no road rules in reality to follow.Indians rather avoid and save the holy cow sitting in the middle of the road than their own precious lives!
Old 21 August 2005, 06:41 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

well after all these replies, i totally agree with you. I'm working in bangalore for 10 days at the Indian space research agengy so unfortunately i have to commute from the hotel to the site, but its only about 20 mins and to be honest we dont really move fast enough to do any real damage!! !

they are all still nutters though cutting each other up and driving within 2 inches of other peoples bumpers ! !
Old 21 August 2005, 06:46 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

Enjoy every minute of it...it's a vast country and i've only seen a little of it but loved it completely

Let the roads be the least of your concerns..just soak up the lifestyle
Old 21 August 2005, 06:47 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

LOL I am Indian Suprabeast and lived there until 1991.I still go there to see my family and dread to be on the road in a taxi.bus or in a rickshaw.I used to drive there but after living in the UK even for 11 months,I wont dare to-when i first went back to visit.

Its a mad mad place! I must tell you that West Africa is even worse!

Old 21 August 2005, 06:49 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

However,enjoy your time in banglore- food,people etc
Old 21 August 2005, 06:55 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

thanks turbohot and everyone else, i am making the most of it , just taking advantage of the fact that im lucky enough to travel in my job ! cant complain really\!!
Old 21 August 2005, 07:15 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

True
Old 21 August 2005, 07:53 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Remember when I drove in Thailand - was crazy - could basically drive however you wanted. Seeing a bus overtake a stream of traffic on the wrong side of the road around a blind bend was quite incredible.

mate when i went to pakistan for hols when i was old enuff to ride a motorbike their i had alot of experience, its pathetic and no law at all.

rule is, if their bigger than u, move away, single roads used both ways ffs , ******* big trucks dont even stop and one day i was playing tough i said im not gonna move for that ******* well i had to while trying to avoid him the side of his truck smashed the mirrors of my motorbike and splattered my face

i wish i had a gun and chased him and shot him on his hands so he cant drive again.

they just dont have a clue

roundabout is a one way system, well not in asia, both ways will do and fvck that , donkey carts in the middle
Old 21 August 2005, 11:25 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

You want to try Baghdad or Basra, will cure you of Motorsport i can tell you,Maybe while you are in India you could try and recreate the 206 advert with the dodgy music and elephant.LOL

Mac
Old 22 August 2005, 04:14 AM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
You want to try Baghdad or Basra, will cure you of Motorsport i can tell you,Maybe while you are in India you could try and recreate the 206 advert with the dodgy music and elephant.LOL

Mac
mate that is exactly the sort of thing you could see happening out here !! proper crack up, turning an old ambassidor into a 206 !!! havent seen any elephants yet though !
Old 22 August 2005, 01:58 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

saw the driving on tv , utter mayhem , cows and **** in the road . mopeds wit 4 people on . complete madness
Old 22 August 2005, 02:16 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx

Mac
Good idea. Please be sure to tell the elephant to sit hard enough on the car that it switches over from RHD to LHD just like they in the advert!

I have to say that Bangalore is my favourite Indian city. Fairly civilised, some good restaurants, modern shops and also a few lively bars. I was there with my wife on honeymoon 5 years ago and we loved it. Hope it hasn't changed too much and gotten overcrowded (doubt it though).

Suresh
Old 22 August 2005, 09:42 PM
BlackadderII
Scooby Regular

Interesting reading

Got me thinking about a holiday to India, any recommendations? It's always been a place thats interested me and after doing a few googles, the vastness of the place is overwhelming. Where would be the place to go to get the flavour of the country (and i dont mean down the local Tandori"
Old 22 August 2005, 09:57 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlackadderII
Interesting reading

Got me thinking about a holiday to India, any recommendations? It's always been a place thats interested me and after doing a few googles, the vastness of the place is overwhelming. Where would be the place to go to get the flavour of the country (and i dont mean down the local Tandori"
I've been to Kerela 3 times...first time Kovalam and then explored a little more on following holidays. I try to keep away from too much touristy stuff although tourism is really the only source of income in that part of the country.

Very basic...lots of poverty by our standards...people with next to nothing but willing to share the little they have. It gave me a different perspective on life...and not just for the period of the holiday....it's somewhere i'll go back to without a doubt
Old 22 August 2005, 10:04 PM
BlackadderII
Scooby Regular

Thats what i might be a bit frightened of. I have always thought India to be a really genuine place (if you see what i mean) but if you go to far from the beaten track is it dangerous?

Obviously i'd like to see the buildings and architecture but also get a real taste of what it's like behind the touristy cloak and see the real country which tbh must be one of the most mystic and beautiful places in the world.
Old 22 August 2005, 10:16 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

I planned to go on my second holiday alone (i'm female) because I had no fear of the country or the people. Didn't work out that way because a friend ended up coming with me...but i would have no worries about being there by myself.

I have a fair amount of common sense and it was stressed to me originally, not to be taken in by the poverty or the beggars. I actually found I was taken under the *wings* of a number of Indians who turned out to be the most genuine people i've ever met. Some of the best outings I had were when i went with local people to see the local temples and markets...there seems to be a habit of a taxi driver *adopting* you for the day and he's willing to take you anywhere you want to for very little money.

The life style is so slow it's like permanently driving in first gear....no one and nothing is so important that it can't wait a week....it's amazing how quickly I settled into that pattern!!...I've never felt so well and relaxed in my life.

If you're thinking of going...do it...the experience is unforgettable
Old 22 August 2005, 11:22 PM
BlackadderII
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaydee5
I planned to go on my second holiday alone (i'm female) because I had no fear of the country or the people. Didn't work out that way because a friend ended up coming with me...but i would have no worries about being there by myself.

I have a fair amount of common sense and it was stressed to me originally, not to be taken in by the poverty or the beggars. I actually found I was taken under the *wings* of a number of Indians who turned out to be the most genuine people i've ever met. Some of the best outings I had were when i went with local people to see the local temples and markets...there seems to be a habit of a taxi driver *adopting* you for the day and he's willing to take you anywhere you want to for very little money.

The life style is so slow it's like permanently driving in first gear....no one and nothing is so important that it can't wait a week....it's amazing how quickly I settled into that pattern!!...I've never felt so well and relaxed in my life.

If you're thinking of going...do it...the experience is unforgettable
I think thats what i wanted to hear Jaydee

Would you mind if i pm'd a few questions to you?
Old 23 August 2005, 03:53 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
Good idea. Please be sure to tell the elephant to sit hard enough on the car that it switches over from RHD to LHD just like they in the advert!

I have to say that Bangalore is my favourite Indian city. Fairly civilised, some good restaurants, modern shops and also a few lively bars. I was there with my wife on honeymoon 5 years ago and we loved it. Hope it hasn't changed too much and gotten overcrowded (doubt it though).

Suresh
unortunately its much busier now than even 3 years ago and is fast becoming overcrowded... its just taken me an hour and 15 mins to travel a few kilometres back to the hotel ! shocking !!

its all these call centres popping up!