Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

One for the Dads

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2005, 01:59 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One for the Dads

I was talking to the SO last night, as you do. I made the point that I had never heard a bloke saying anything negative about the day theor kids were born.

The day my daughter was born was the worst of my life. Mainly due to complications, an emergancy operation and intensive care, and her looking like a haggis at the time. I don't know what it would have been like had it been a simple birth.

This got me thinking - do most blokes say it was a fantastic day and mean it, or is it just hard to admit you hated it? Or was it actually the best day of your life?

Interested to hear

PS how do you add a pole?

Last edited by pwhittle; 18 August 2005 at 02:01 PM.
Old 18 August 2005, 02:07 PM
methodman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwhittle
PS how do you add a pole?
well a picture of a fit bird normally works for me.....

heres one
Old 18 August 2005, 02:08 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

We were fortunate enough not to have any major complications and they were the best two days of my life (boy + girl).

I trust your daughter is not old enough to mind being described as looking like a haggis

For poles you need rods and perches
Old 18 August 2005, 02:15 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

first one was an emergency c secton due to pre-eclampsia - everything went from normal to haywire in about 2 hours. When someone mentions kids being born I only remember sitting with Emma afterwards feeling like a dog with two tails while they finished stitching up the OH.

Second one was 24 hours of labour - I was knackered by the time she popped out
Old 18 August 2005, 02:16 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

friends of my GF had big problems. . . .

The bith was ok ish - bit drawn out, but ok none the less.

The mum then suffered from a major internal hemmorage - she was transfused roughly twice her own blood volume.

Whilst the dr's were in there, they discovered she had fattey liver disese.

Long story short:-
Historectomy
4 weeks unconcious in intensive care
Now concious & in a "normal" ward.
Sill bed ridden - but slowly recovering
Should be out in 3 weeks

She is very lucky to be alive
Old 18 August 2005, 02:20 PM
Mikey Ace
Scooby Regular

I was there for my first born, the wife "struggled" for 4.5 hrs, as he was the wrong way round..... but when he popped out - well, I can honestly say it was the most incredible feeling I've ever had. Simple as that - I changed enormously in that instant.

I became all protective, loving, that sort of thing..... I never thought I'd be hit by it all so much - but I was, and am every day - my boys are gr8.

Mikey
Old 18 August 2005, 02:27 PM
AC-scoobie
Scooby Regular

No complications with my little girl, definately the best moment / day / week of my life, followed by the Champions League Final in May , and my record breaking Club Championship win at my golf club.
Old 18 August 2005, 02:33 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Both my girls were a week late, mum went thru 70 hour+ labours and ended up with c-sections.
Youngest daughter was diagnosed with some infection due to the waters being broken much earlier. Took an extra week to come home.

All fine & ok. kids are 2 and 5. Even with the drama, still a bl00dy great experience. Everybody should experience it at least once

Dan
Old 18 August 2005, 02:38 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

First son was a 18 hour labour - SWMBO was not amused. Second son - admitted at 3am, gave birth 7am, home next morning!
Old 18 August 2005, 02:39 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Everyone had said to me, "Yes, its a lovely experience and a joyous occasion" at the time I didn't have a license and my GF hadn't passed so it was taxis for a bit. On the way there with some overnight stuff the driver says "Its ok like, but its not good if you haven't got a strong stomach!" this put me off a bit.

We'd been there since 11am and our daughter was already a couple of weeks late. They tried inducing her etc and nothing was happening. Sat watching TV at about 9pm, the X Files movie comes on and I thought cool haven't seen this before, might as well watch it while we're waiting. Film just starts and theres these wet popping noises.

Kelly is helped to lay down on the bed and I'll never forget the amount of fluids that came out (this bit made me feel a bit sick TBH) . The midwife who had been with us all day went off shift and we had this really horrible midwife during the labour who was particularly rude to my GF. She was very tired and groggy by about 2am and kept saying she couldn't do it. The midwife just said "Fine, you can't do it, lets all go home then!" My GF had asked for her auntie do be with us as she has 4 kids and knows the score. At one point, her auntie and I discussed which would be better - stick with the midwife and put up with her complete lack of interest or complain and demand another. We were worried that complaining might just make things much worse.

Eventually at about 4.30am they called a doctor becuase things were not happening and my GF was more or less slipping in and out of consciousness during contractions. The foreign doctor showed a complete lack of emotion and said "If you don't start helping youself, I'll have to cut you open to do it" This I saw basically as a threat and I think my GF did too as by 5.30am we had a baby daughter. During this stage of making a decision to cut her we had been joined by other nurses etc who were extremely supportive and helped more duing their 1 hour than the midwife had since about 11pm the previous evening. I was quite shocked how purple our daughter looked and that her head was shaped a bit like an almond. This soon changed to a more normal looking shape within a day or so.

So, the birth itself isn't quite roses and sweetness IMHO but once its all over you instantly forget the nasty bits because you have a child which is pretty awesome. Mines 3 and drives me bonkers on a daily basis but I can't be without her now.

oops, sorry got into one there. Long post alert.
Old 18 August 2005, 02:39 PM
jimmyu.r.uk
BANNED

a very very strange mix of both imo !
Old 18 August 2005, 02:44 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

The day was fine...it's the 6 years since that's the problem !!

Seriously - we had twins by c section and it was a pretty horrendous time. Taking them home was the most stressful experience ever. I also never really got any great enjoyment from the whole thing until abt a year into parenting. I think this is mainly due to the hardship of twins - after that though it's been amazing.
Old 18 August 2005, 02:55 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

no probs at either birth (and 2 different wives) must be the good quality stuff supplied

blubbed like a baby on both occasions, proudest day of my life!!!!

only trouble is the eldest has now turned into kevin!!!!

M
Old 18 August 2005, 03:04 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
We were fortunate enough not to have any major complications and they were the best two days of my life (boy + girl).

I trust your daughter is not old enough to mind being described as looking like a haggis

For poles you need rods and perches
No she isn't. Someone bought her a book when she was born, which we're supposed to fill in. It say things like "When I was born I weighed..." "My Mummy said I looked like..." "My Daddy said I looked like...". Haven't filled it in yet.
Old 18 August 2005, 03:06 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
friends of my GF had big problems. . . .

The bith was ok ish - bit drawn out, but ok none the less.

The mum then suffered from a major internal hemmorage - she was transfused roughly twice her own blood volume.

Whilst the dr's were in there, they discovered she had fattey liver disese.

Long story short:-
Historectomy
4 weeks unconcious in intensive care
Now concious & in a "normal" ward.
Sill bed ridden - but slowly recovering
Should be out in 3 weeks

She is very lucky to be alive
God that's nasty. Baby's dad must be run ragged, new baby and SO in hospital...