Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Free uk landline phonecalls ??

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2005, 10:23 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free uk landline phonecalls ??

Came across the site www.18866.co.uk tonight after seeing it advertised within another site, free uk phonecalls, all calls charged at 2 pence connection fee, etc etc etc !!

have had a quick read over the site but anyone fancy a quick read over it and tell me if you can see any catches that I may have missed ?? how can they not charge to uk landline numbers which are most folks main dialled numbers ??!!

anyone ??

cheers,
john
Old 15 August 2005, 10:36 PM
greenlightracer
Scooby Regular

i dont know i cant see any catches , it may be expensive to call mobiles or international and thats how they make there money up but otherwise i really cant see how they make there money ?

Once i used an internet service provider called redhotant which allowed me to dial up to the net 24/7 for free i had it for about 2 yrs then they went bust ! i wonder why got my monies worth though !
Old 15 August 2005, 10:54 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I use talk talk +

its a 12 month deal..

all calls after 6pm until 8am daily and all w/end calls to any uk land line ..free

you only pay for the calls outside this window..

my call bill last month .....£3.48

and thats cos her indoors is off on fridays..

M
Old 15 August 2005, 11:42 PM
scoobydood
Scooby Regular

Use voipbuster on your PC and call UK, US, Australia & much of Europe LANDLINES free!!! (l jest not. It's incredible and the quality is very good. Add a USB handset and it's even better! If the country you call is not free - it is very cheap.

Obviously voipbuster -> voipbuster is free to anywhere in the world.
Old 15 August 2005, 11:56 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Came across the site www.18866.co.uk tonight after seeing it advertised within another site, free uk phonecalls, all calls charged at 2 pence connection fee, etc etc etc !!

have had a quick read over the site but anyone fancy a quick read over it and tell me if you can see any catches that I may have missed ?? how can they not charge to uk landline numbers which are most folks main dialled numbers ??!!

anyone ??

cheers,
john
using the sister company www.1899.co.uk 3p connection fee - absolute no prob what so ever
Old 16 August 2005, 01:21 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DemonDave
using the sister company www.1899.co.uk 3p connection fee -

absolute no prob what so ever
Only with there website not working that is !!!!

I take it the uk landline calls are free with this crowd as well ?? is this 3p connection fee for these calls as well ??

thanks guys appreciatte your replies.

cheers,
john
Old 16 August 2005, 08:07 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Only with there website not working that is !!!!

I take it the uk landline calls are free with this crowd as well ?? is this 3p connection fee for these calls as well ??

thanks guys appreciatte your replies.

cheers,
john
only coz I am a muppet www.1899.com

Yep free and 3p connection - been with them a while now
Old 16 August 2005, 08:26 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that mate, should have checked the .co.uk /com bit myself but it was getting late !!!

will certainly check them out. like the idea off the VOIP systmn, used this type off thin a good ew yeras ago but to be honest that quality off the calls were terrible !! to be fair it was pre-broadband days thou so hopefully it should all be a bit better now.

I take it you can call regular uk landlines etc on the VOIP systmn ie the receiving systmn does not have to be another pc user using VOIP ??

cheers,
john
Old 16 August 2005, 08:54 AM
mark1234
Scooby Regular

Location: Where women glow and men plunder, Xbox Gamertag Upsidedownmark

Using 18866 myself for a couple of months.. seems ok, no nasty suprises. Major plus for me was 2p/min to oz! (15p mobile).

Would have to say tho that uk landline calls are about the most infrequent kind of call I make, and probably a lot of people I know too.. maybe I'm in a skewed demographic, but I'd guess that's where they make the money.

Also use voip (skype) as my hotel room has broadband, and I can't user 18866 from my mobile without a intl call back to the uk... I'm impressed by how good it is given the transport mechanism, but I find it a bit frustrating, the clarity isn't great.

Now, if anyone knows a cheap company I can use to call intl from a mobile, I'd be VERY interested
Old 16 August 2005, 09:06 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I use 18866 its great

BUT dont dial 118866 as it goes through to a directory enquirey service that charge £1.50 as soon as you connect! They are playing on the fact people mis dial!
Old 16 August 2005, 09:09 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Skype! Calls to landlines in the UK from Japan for 0.02 Euros/min. Not to be sniffed at
Old 16 August 2005, 09:31 PM
scoobydood
Scooby Regular

The bonius with voipbuster is that you don't even need to provide any personal details to try them out straight away. They will give you 1min calls to just about anywhere for free. If you like the service, sign up fully and just put 1 euro on your account and continue to use the free calls - except no 1 minute limit..

www.voipbuster.com
Old 17 August 2005, 08:25 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

They are bound to be using VoIP (18866) to reduce their actual cost and probably sms gateways for the mobile traffic so their margins are higher on that and the overall call quality will be lower. It's really a customer acquisition exercise so they can do a very appealing offer and value add other services into the customer base. Talk Talk are doing the same, they are really subsidising those free calls because although they own their own network (Opal) they still have to pay interconnect charges to BT so there is still an actual cost to them. Last I heard they had something like half a million customers but were still losing money. But from the consumers point of view, great!