Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sinuses and Aeroplanes

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2005, 10:23 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sinuses and Aeroplanes

Help needed! I have a shocking cold at the moment, but had to fly into Belfast yesterday. Sinuses fine on the way up but absolute bloody agony on the way down! I took Sudafed pills, squirted the stuff up my nose, sucked pastils and chewed gum, but nothing helped.

My ears are still popping and sore from yesterday - any chance I can do them any real harm?

I have to fly home again this afternoon - anyone got any other suggestions? (Apart from taking the ferry?)
Old 10 August 2005, 11:00 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I used to suffer from those sort of problems when it was my job DBW. Sinuses and ears are ok as you climb because the air pressure escapes but on the way down it is difficult for the air pressure to equalise because of the blockage of the air passages. It is just the same for your ears as well.

We never used to fly with a cold if we could help it for those reasons. Its is possible for your eardrums to get damaged with a very bad case and also to get a sinus infection because the cold germs get pushed back in to them. The trouble is always on the descent to land.

Best advice if it is very bad is as you say to take the ferry. It is virtually imposssible to clear the ear and sinus passages sufficiently well with a really bad cold. Civil airliners are not so bad as military aircraft since the pressurisation in the civil aircraft is kept at a higher level. The worse damage happens at lower levels though so you will be pushing your luck to fly.

Sorry I can't help you with any better advice, I can only tell you the unvarnished truth. Since I stopped flying I have never had sinus problems any more.

Les
Old 10 August 2005, 11:02 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Thanks anyway Leslie - I appreciate the thought.

Worst part is I can't even numb the pain with a glass of wine on the way back cos I'm driving!

(Personally I blame IM - he gave the damned germs in the frist place!)
Old 10 August 2005, 11:26 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Maybe one of those really strong inhalers which feel like they are going to take the top off your head might do some good.

Les
Old 10 August 2005, 11:33 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Avoid popping your ears with force (i.e don't hold you nose and try to blow through it).

I did this a few hours after landing at oz with a full blown head cold, I was half deaf and had absolutely no balance at all. So tried getting my ears to pop via above method...

First few attempt had failed, But eventually they "popped"...but instead of popping...they went BANG! - which perforated an eardrum...lovely

Try a bowl of bowling water with some olbas oil in (or other herbs for colds - can get it from your hollan and barret type shops), towel over your head and just breath it in the steam, should help clear it
Old 10 August 2005, 12:59 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Try a bowl of bowling water with some olbas oil in (or other herbs for colds - can get it from your hollan and barret type shops), towel over your head and just breath it in the steam, should help clear it
Nice idea - but sadly am in an office and that may attract some odd looks.....

<bracing myself for pain>

Old 10 August 2005, 02:31 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

go to a chemist and ask for "contact" tablets. only heard about them last year after relying on paracetemol in the past - hell of a difference!
Old 10 August 2005, 02:38 PM
Martin_Aimless
Scooby Regular

Location: Weapons are like money; no one knows the meaning of enough. M.A.

You don't want to pop and eardrum. I've heard of this happening.