Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Vandalism In Works Car Park - Rights?

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2005, 09:54 AM
LC Geezer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vandalism In Works Car Park - Rights?

My car has been vandalised in the works car park for 4 successive days now. Nothing major - just light keying down the panels. Enough to break the laquer but not the paint. The car park is fenced in and requires a security swipe card to get in. It happens during working hours. Sadly, the CCTV doesn't cover the car park. I'm certain it must be someone who works at the premises doing it.

Do I have any rights to get my employer to contribute towards the repairs? Not that I condone the trend of litigation for every little thing, but this is gonna cost me a respray of two rear wings and two doors (so far). I don't see why they should have to pay anything seeing as they didn't cause the damage, but if I can get contribution then I have to consider it. There are no "parked at owners liability" signs anywhere.

Any views anyone?
Old 08 August 2005, 10:15 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

The "parked at your own liability" will prob be in your employment contract T&C's somewhere.......

First things first. Do you know anyone at work who has a gripe against you? Have you driven like a nutter to work recently? Do you park in a place which might annoy someone?

No excuse for it obviously, but if done for 4 successive days, sounds like someone has the hump with you....
Old 08 August 2005, 12:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think your only chance is to catch them at it and report it to the firm and the police. Doubt that the firm can be held responsible.

Les
Old 08 August 2005, 12:49 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by LC Geezer
My car has been vandalised in the works car park for 4 successive days now. Nothing major - just light keying down the panels. Enough to break the laquer but not the paint. The car park is fenced in and requires a security swipe card to get in. It happens during working hours. Sadly, the CCTV doesn't cover the car park. I'm certain it must be someone who works at the premises doing it.

Do I have any rights to get my employer to contribute towards the repairs? Not that I condone the trend of litigation for every little thing, but this is gonna cost me a respray of two rear wings and two doors (so far). I don't see why they should have to pay anything seeing as they didn't cause the damage, but if I can get contribution then I have to consider it. There are no "parked at owners liability" signs anywhere.

Any views anyone?
As the company provide a "secure" car park for their employee's they obviously have an interest in the well being of your vehicles. As it looks as though someone from within the company is vandelising other employees cars they would hopefully take a very dim view of this. Make sure you tell the HR department what has been happening, it can't have been an accident on all four occasions. Perhaps if the company contacted the police to have a look round it may at least stop any further damage.
Old 08 August 2005, 01:01 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

As others have said, the company will probably have the "Parked at owners risk" covered by either signage or your COE. I feel the best course of action would be to use a little discretion. As the same incident has happened habitually 4 times on successive days, the company could assist in having the CCTV camera aimed at your car for a couple of days, or you could arrange your own surveilance. Try not to make too much of a scene, and make out to those who know you're pi$$ed off at the situation that the company has shrugged you off, in the hope that they may continue, allowing you to possibly catch them in the act. If you do, then litigation is one answer, but you can legitimately claim on their car insurance too. The Police and senior company involvement is definately needed should you identify the culprit, but also bear in mind that if they are caught and brought to justice that in todays society people will never accept responsibility for their own actions, and expect more retributions. Of course, when it all dies down and is long forgotten, a bl00dy good anonimous slapping down a dark alley is called for too
Old 08 August 2005, 01:44 PM
LC Geezer
Scooby Regular

I did have an out of work run in with someone who works here.....but he left about 3 weeks ago. I doubt very much he would be climbing over the barbed wire just to get at my car. Since that incident, I've driven like a model citizen on my route to and from work. I don't ever want to end up brawling with a co-worker at the side of the road again.

I've parked in the same space for the last 2 years. It's the best space available as it's at an odd angle and leaves a wide space either side. Maybe somebody new has decided they want it.

I can't for the life of me think that I've upset anybody here. But I guess I must have. Either that, or nutter here has just picked on a car at random.....and it happnes to be mine

Originally Posted by imlach
The "parked at your own liability" will prob be in your employment contract T&C's somewhere.......

First things first. Do you know anyone at work who has a gripe against you? Have you driven like a nutter to work recently? Do you park in a place which might annoy someone?

No excuse for it obviously, but if done for 4 successive days, sounds like someone has the hump with you....
Old 08 August 2005, 04:56 PM
jackies
Scooby Regular

Is there a chance that the person you had the run in with still has a friend at work who may be doing this on his behalf?
Old 08 August 2005, 05:33 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

or he had a replacement swipe card before he left? goto the security office and find out if they keep records of people swiping in and out. they do where I work.

hth

james
Old 08 August 2005, 06:38 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a letter on all the notice boards in the works saying "reward for information - discretion assured" with the details of the problem, this usually gets people to remember seeing things suspisious
Old 09 August 2005, 09:42 AM
LC Geezer
Scooby Regular

It seems I am in luck. The CCTV cameras do cover where I parked my car. The tapes are being reviewed as I type.
Old 09 August 2005, 01:41 PM
scooby_99turbo
Scooby Regular

I think current rights state that you catch him and knock the living day lights out of him..It worked for me when I caught someone kicking the wing mirror off my scoob..

Originally Posted by LC Geezer

Any views anyone?
Old 09 August 2005, 01:51 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Nice one about the CCTV.

Nice piece of evidence for criminal damage, and for making a claim in the small claims court - however your employer may want to take matters into their own hands (with it being commited on their land - public reputation etc. ).
Old 09 August 2005, 01:57 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geezer,

What's the update on this?
Old 09 August 2005, 03:14 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Yeah, update...update...update!!
Old 09 August 2005, 04:45 PM
LC Geezer
Scooby Regular

Well it's clear to see the same person walk past my car on all the days it happened. Two or three other people also go past my car over the same period but only one person on EVERY occasion. What isn't so clear to see is just who that person is (the camera is too far away to get a clear facial image) and to see whether or not that person is doing any damage. It doesn't help that the camera seems to have semi-permenant condensation So, not enough evidence for any legal action or indeed, for any formal action by my company. But I'm pretty sure I know who it is from the images we have available.....and I cannot imagine why this person is doing it. Anyway, I need to find a way of tackling this without any legal or official company backup. Time for my friend who runs his own "pest control" business to have a word perhaps. Not sure I want to do this though in case I've identified the wrong person.
Old 09 August 2005, 06:01 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

So: you're getting some pipe-hittin' ****** to get medieval on his ***?

- What now? Let me tell you what now. I'm gonna call a couple of hard, pipe-hittin' ****** to go to work on the homes here with a pair of plyers and a blow torch... You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy?! I ain't through with you by a damned sight! I'm gonna get medieval on your ***!" -