Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Council Tax discount - question

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2005, 10:18 PM
Benji Lad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Council Tax discount - question

One for any lawyers or council tax people out there.

I got the keys to my new maisonette and went there today - there was a summons to local court for non-payment of council tax. I rang the council and told them I was the new owner and that it had been vacant for an unknown time. She checked the system and said it had been vacant since March. She took my details and said she would send a bill in the post from now on. I told her my position - basically that the property would be vacant till January whilst I did work on it - and asked for the six month empty house exemption. However, she said I was liable for council tax from September as the property is only allowed to be vacant for six months.

Surely I am not liable for the time when I was not the owner? Or is she right? I thought I would be allowed six months as the current occupant...

Cheers for any advice.
Old 05 August 2005, 10:29 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Benji Lad
One for any lawyers or council tax people out there.

I got the keys to my new maisonette and went there today - there was a summons to local court for non-payment of council tax. I rang the council and told them I was the new owner and that it had been vacant for an unknown time. She checked the system and said it had been vacant since March. She took my details and said she would send a bill in the post from now on. I told her my position - basically that the property would be vacant till January whilst I did work on it - and asked for the six month empty house exemption. However, she said I was liable for council tax from September as the property is only allowed to be vacant for six months.

Surely I am not liable for the time when I was not the owner? Or is she right? I thought I would be allowed six months as the current occupant...

Cheers for any advice.
Can't help with the liability side of things although I do think that it's a little off being expected to have your exemption eaten into by a previous owner.

Also worth noting though is if the property is undergoing, major repairs or structural alterations it can be exempt for up to 12 months.
Old 05 August 2005, 10:35 PM
Focusbird
Scooby Regular

Quote from my local Council's website:

Q. I own an empty property do I still have to pay council tax?
A. If the property is both unoccupied and empty of furniture there is no council tax to pay the first six months. A discount of 50% is allowed after that for as long as the property is empty.

Q. I have just bought a property which has been empty for a while, do I get a new six months exemption?
A. No, a change of ownership does not start a new exempt period.

Q. What happens if I own a house that no-one lives in but it has some furniture in it?
A. You still have to pay council tax but there is a discount of 50%.
Sounds bloody unfair but is apparently true.
Old 05 August 2005, 10:41 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

As the fit bird says above, it's true then.

I reckon it's a made up structural job on the cards.
Old 05 August 2005, 10:47 PM
Focusbird
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
As the fit bird says above
Old 05 August 2005, 10:50 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Focusbird
Sorry it was a typo, good luck with the diet anyway.
Old 05 August 2005, 10:55 PM
Moray
Scooby Regular

If your fit where is the pics? More importantly with loaf of bread on head?

Originally Posted by Focusbird
Old 05 August 2005, 11:13 PM
Benji Lad
Scooby Regular

Hmm. Okay then, seems I'm stuffed.

The woman said that in order to qualify for a single occupant discount once I start paying, it would have to be habitable - and it would be checked. So maybe I will install a bed, chair, table, plate, kfs and toothbrush for a month, then 'move out' again, thus re-starting a six month period of exemption.
Old 05 August 2005, 11:19 PM
msi
Scooby Regular

I've had to go through various things like this with the council. You are NOT liable for any council tax until you are the owner, however long it has been empty and how ever much the previous owner owes, it's nothing to do with you until the house is yours, I had to show them the purchase completion statement from my solicitor which they accepted.

If the previous owner has claimed 6 months exemption then they will not let you have the exemption as well. This is what happened to me, I complained that the house was uninhabbitable (sp) and told them I wanted a home visit so they could see for themselves, after about 20 phone calls they came out to see the house and granted me the 6 months exemption. The council woman told me they only really look at the bathroom and kitchen so make sure they are looking there worst if you arrange a home visit.
Old 05 August 2005, 11:34 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Single occupant discount has nothing to do with the property being empty.

If you live at the property and are the only person living there (friends staying over every so often don't count) you are entitled to 25% discount.
Old 05 August 2005, 11:53 PM
Benji Lad
Scooby Regular

Trouble is mine could be lived in - I'm not really planning massive changes - its just decoration etc, that will be done over random weekends, its just an a$$ to have to pay council tax if I'm not living there and therefore not making use of the (no doubt exceptional) services that Tewkesbury Council have to offer.

Seems crazy that the new owner on any property has to take on what is essentially a liability from the previous owner - or inability of the estate agent to seel for an extended period. I wonder who would be liable for paying council tax if the place had been vacant for more than six months whilst being sold?
Old 06 August 2005, 12:14 AM
msi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Benji Lad
I wonder who would be liable for paying council tax if the place had been vacant for more than six months whilst being sold?
Like I said, the previous owner