Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hed Kandi as we know it - RIP ???

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2005, 02:32 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hed Kandi as we know it - RIP ???

Saw something on the web about the Hed Kandi label that Mark Doyle of Jazz FM set up. Apparently since Guardian Media Group bought Jazz FM, the parties have not worked too well together, and as such now Mark and 90% of the Hed Kandi label staff have defected (sic) and are setting up a label in Japan to carry on the Hed Kandi vibe. I can see Hed Kandi going all commercial now...

Link here

Dave
Old 05 August 2005, 02:41 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

LMFAO Going commercial now?! they have been churning out sh!te for ages!! liked the concept and the first couple of Cd's of the orignal genres ie Disco Kandi, Back to Basics where good. After that it was complete pap! IMHO
Old 05 August 2005, 04:11 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Sorry to be pedantic but its GMG (the article gets it wrong too.)

Good luck to Doyle and the other members of the splinter group, I'm certain that they will do well.
Old 05 August 2005, 06:14 PM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

hed kandi are far from commercial
they are in fact one of the only collectives still championing new music and not sticking to the tried and tested formulas
its not my personal thing being honest
but i love the double pack vinyl promos they put out and collect em cos
a, they are worth a fortune
b, they look nice
freak jump in here if you like
Old 05 August 2005, 06:53 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ive only bought a handful of HK cds. Mainly the Twisted Discos and Mix CDs (Which I gather is not really what HK wanted to do originally)

Im not really fussed though as to what they change to. If its a good CD I'll buy it regardless of what label its published on. I dont really care if its been branded Commercial or otherwise. I care how it makes me feel when listening to it.
Old 08 August 2005, 09:55 AM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dam rite rr ww,

does make me laugh when people jump on the 'its all commercial' bandwagon.

yeah some of the cd's have uplifting very disco like
tracks but they are labelled Disco Kandi for a start!

prob have most of the 50 cd's they've released and among them r the majority of THE top house tracks of the last few years.

theres been a couple of tracks of them that have gone into the charts, difference being they we on these cd's about a year before anyone even heard of em

artists like martin solvieg who are just really emerging into the limelight have been on their albums, just because tracks
on their get wide recognition and are liked by a large number of people isnt a bad thing.
Old 08 August 2005, 11:55 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Earlier ones were better.....and its gone a bit too fluffy for my liking. Not really my thang anymore, although in my more fluffy days gone by I used to hammer their stuff.
Good series tho- and as mentioned above, the double and triple promos are worth ££ so worth hanging onto

the problem is, its now an established and widely recognised label and brand...... so 99% of the people wont know or care about this move.
Old 08 August 2005, 05:39 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Freak
the problem is, its now an established and widely recognised label and brand...... so 99% of the people wont know or care about this move.
Please explain why you think its a problem
Old 08 August 2005, 08:47 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Its a problem for mark not me!
tis a problem in that the majority of people wont know about the founder leaving, and also dont care and will continue to buy/ go to hed kandi nights regardless, as thats what they identify with already.

kind of summed up by your quote above:
Im not really fussed though as to what they change to. If its a good CD I'll buy it regardless of what label its published on. I dont really care if its been branded Commercial or otherwise. I care how it makes me feel when listening to it.
Thats exactly my point- the majority of average joe public who may buy hed kandi records will continue to do that, and mark has an uphill struggle ahead of him, as the HK brand is quite strong and recognisable- and as he cant use the name or artwork, he is for all intents and purposes starting from scratch with no brand recognition or loyal fan base.

I wish him luck and hope he does well- as someone whos also setting up a label I know how bloody awkward it is !!!
Old 09 August 2005, 09:12 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
HK's albums have been awful lately, they've had to sell more/produce more to satisfy the new owners, this has meant much dilution of the brand and the quality. The same Songs were appearing on about Three or Four of their albums in one year Then they'd release another summer or winter compilation with all the same songs on againl. While doing this they had to drop the less well selling albums that were actually really good. They were also putting on nights at just about anyhwere that'd pay for them, includng a lot of places with less discerning clientle than the original nights. Their events were like chav city the last two years or so.

Marks taken Jason along with all the best DJ's and behind the scenes staff with him - and Jasons art made hk as much as the music did imo.
exactly.