Taff107
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...that PoS needs to die......
Old 27 July 2005, 07:14 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

quite interesting moses, so zarqawi see's him self as bin laden successor, and not really anything to do with al qaida. what ever happened to him when he was suposidly badly injured? was it not him?
Old 27 July 2005, 07:40 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by FASTER MIKE!!
quite interesting moses, so zarqawi see's him self as bin laden successor, and not really anything to do with al qaida. what ever happened to him when he was suposidly badly injured? was it not him?

i dont know mike if it was him or not, i never met him

yeah actually zarqawi is a psycho, osama is tame like a puppy compared to him, u have a chance if u plead with osama he may forgive u or let u go, where zarqawi is a son of a pig and will slaughter anyone kids and all basically

he wants to be notorious and he loves the media, it makes him bigger than anyone, see media and the net, their dangerous and want top stories and ratings, he zarqawi gives it to them, why do u think he tapes everything

he is media mad, he has actually lost it, his family deserve to die like pigs as he does to innocent babies and kids in iraq, while his own family are well and happy in jordan
Old 27 July 2005, 08:05 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down Clarify...

Originally Posted by moses
i dont know mike if it was him or not, i never met him

yeah actually zarqawi is a psycho, osama is tame like a puppy compared to him, u have a chance if u plead with osama he may forgive u or let u go, where zarqawi is a son of a pig and will slaughter anyone kids and all basically

he wants to be notorious and he loves the media, it makes him bigger than anyone, see media and the net, their dangerous and want top stories and ratings, he zarqawi gives it to them, why do u think he tapes everything

he is media mad, he has actually lost it, his family deserve to die like pigs as he does to innocent babies and kids in iraq, while his own family are well and happy in jordan

Sorry Moses, but reading the above, do you know either of these W**kers? If you do, please phone 999 and give the authorities the benefit of your knowledge. If you dont, please stop writing this drivel. "Osama is tame like a puppy" Is this the same Osama who gloated in the deaths of over 2000 people in Sept 2001? Regarding Zarqawi, i dont know if he has kids, but are you seriously saying his children should die like pigs, because he is a psycho?
Old 27 July 2005, 08:38 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by FlightMan
Sorry Moses, but reading the above, do you know either of these W**kers? If you do, please phone 999 and give the authorities the benefit of your knowledge. If you dont, please stop writing this drivel. "Osama is tame like a puppy" Is this the same Osama who gloated in the deaths of over 2000 people in Sept 2001? Regarding Zarqawi, i dont know if he has kids, but are you seriously saying his children should die like pigs, because he is a psycho?
osama is evil and yes its true he is tame compared to this ******, lol dont u see whats happening, guys lost it, makes osama look like a lil puppy, he wants to be bigger and media mad.

and i said his family deserve to die like pigs

why not, its ok for him to slaughter lil kids going out to get sweets, didnt u see last week 23 lil angels got slaughtered and how many more

while the pigs family is enjoying the easylife and doesnt send his own brothers and sons to become suicide bombers like the rest of the so called ******* sheikhs who send their kids to get high education and **** up other peoples childrends minds

yes why not, only way they will know how it feels like to loose your beloved family, is when they get back what their loved one zarqawi does to others

al jazeera went to his brothers house for an interview and so did a journalist from the independent

he says zarqawi is a HERO

**** sake he becames a hero, targetting kids, elders and mostly woman and innocents

my **** he is a hero
Old 27 July 2005, 08:45 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Fair enough Moses, I agree with what your saying, maybe not with how your saying it. And when you say his family should die like pigs, by inference, that includes his children.

Take care
Old 27 July 2005, 08:52 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by FlightMan
Fair enough Moses, I agree with what your saying, maybe not with how your saying it. And when you say his family should die like pigs, by inference, that includes his children.

Take care

im all anti slaying of children mate, im a father, since i became a father im anti war, coz its the children and the parents who loose their loved ones, i cant bare or bear to see a parent loosing their child it kills me

the pig has killed so many parents and kids, he deserves it back, to understand the feeling of loosing your lil blood and angelic face kids, u bring them up through hard work and struggle for them, your wife brings them up for 9 months in their tummy and to see their lil clenched fists on your finger when their so small

******* has lost the sense of his mind and humanity to understand that

hitler the ******* had no kids, he wouldnt have known what its like to kill a lil jewish child in front of their parents or give their parents a choice before boarding the train to go to auschwitz, u got 2 choices either i shoot all your kids here and send u to auschwitz

or i kill one of your children and let the other ones go with u to die in the gas chambers

so sick the *******s like that in all nations the parents had to choose the oldest ones so the lil ones can go with them and die later in the gas chambers

human being has become so sick and deserves to be slayed, when the *******s loose the senses of feeling for their fellow human being

bush and blair, sharon, putin, zarqai, osama and the neocons, power and money and fame

blood is cheap, when its not your own
Old 27 July 2005, 08:59 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

zarqawi cuts peoples heads off for fun(ken bingly), and does it him self, not getting other people to do it like bin laden does. there are both evil, just zarqawi is more so
Old 27 July 2005, 09:16 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

zarqawi cuts peoples heads off for fun(ken bingly), and does it him self, not getting other people to do it like bin laden does. there are both evil, just zarqawi is more so

yeah why doesnt he blow himself up as well then like how he gets the other lads to do so
Old 27 July 2005, 09:59 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

yea and he can go to paradise with his 80 virgins
Old 27 July 2005, 10:10 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

yea and he can go to paradise with his 80 virgins

mike did u know its sad, i posted about it 2 weeks ago

80 virgins or 72 virgins hmm thats not even mentioned in the quran

God says for righteous folk they will have such and such and such etc etc, and will have spouses as company , spouses never touched before with big lucious eyes and delicate as eggs

its not a sexual thing at all, no one knows what its like.

its the last thing in a persons mind when going for proper jihad , no bull

the virgin stuff was hijacked by the enemies of islam and the orientialist book writers and coz in the west they think with their dicks, it seems appealing people will kill themselves for 72 virgins in fact its for the glory of God and they believe their doing justice etc and will be close to God the prophets and the believers

the brainwashers use these methods too brainwashing a young lad, coz being young and horny, it will be in his mind, as u know when were young were horny as ****

and the world holy war isnt in the quran at all, it was a word used by the enemies of islam and orientialists and sceptics

but unfortunately the muppets of islam use the words too.

u know what jihad is, jihad is the controlling of yourself, from doing evil and fighting against the evil inside u

lets say theirs a chance i become so rich if i kill this man and take a hitmans job a contract but my mind says to me moses, u gonna kill this man to please another evil ******* , this man has a family and kids, do u really wanna kill him for making a quick buck, this is jihad im fighting against the satan and evil in me.

or i see a nice lassie and i know my wife wont find out and she wants to **** me and i say no i cant, Gods watching and i luv my wife i cant do this to her, this is jihad im fighting against my temptations

then theirs a jihad, i fight to liberate my land or my house or my people, country against an evil and powerful foe, to liberate and protect the innocents

thats a jihad

me running on the road to save a kids life from getting knocked down from a truck its jihad

i hope u understand
Old 27 July 2005, 10:32 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

yea makes more sence now
Old 27 July 2005, 10:44 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

i hope u understand
Old 27 July 2005, 10:52 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

yea makes more sence now

thanks

jtaylor get your moses specs oot u will be able to understand
Old 27 July 2005, 10:53 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
think what moses is saying is the extremists are twisting the word jihad and not using it in it proper context
Old 27 July 2005, 11:05 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

think what moses is saying is the extremists are twisting the word jihad and not using it in it proper context

true

and mike another thing, this is no bull see the chechen fighters who gone real extreme , in the 90's mate they were proper jihadi fighters only killing russian soldiers, u know what they used to do to the russian soldiers when caught before the extremist arabs influenced their way of fighting

they used to treat them the islamic way, feed them and each fighter looks after so many russian captive soldiers and in the eid festival they used to get presents too from the fighters, and they had a choice either the russians swap chechen fighters for the russian captives or the soldiers hear the voice of islam and through their own choice become muslims or be prisoners

it turned bad just before boris yeltsins time when putin was in charge and they basically killed and shelled grozny and other cities to the ground over 50.00 civilians got killed and they slaughtered muslim children, woman and raped girls from 10 upwards, the chechen fighters slaughtered by execution the captives in revenge.

and became more militant after that, no holds barred

u remember when the russian general he actually got away but russia had to punish him some way coz of this international law or it would been a punishment of some kind

he actually raped a 13 yr old girl and then strangled her to death and the russians said it wasnt his fault he was a true nationalist and was angry.

u know after 9/11 the neocons and bush changed their minds and became allies of russia and all was forgotten coz they needed them in the bandwagon so no one can stop them from bombing afghanistan and then possibly iraq at the time

u know clinton and the americans including bush at the time were condemning the russians before that coz of course it was a rival power even if it isnt strong as before and it had alot of influence.

its not in the chechen islamic way to suicide bomb themselves, they were hurt and went extreme and whatever the arab fighters told them to do , they did and basically went total
Old 27 July 2005, 11:18 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

here r some fatwahs, different level of scholars respond differently

best get a few fatwahs
-------------

Title of Fatwa Islam’s Stance on Killing Captives
Date of Reply 17/May/2004
Topic Of Fatwa Relations during War
Country Applied Qatar
Question of Fatwa Is it lawful for Muslims to kill their enemies who have been captured during war? Or should the Muslims bargain with the leaders of the enemy to exchange captives?
Name of Mufti Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi
Content of Reply
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.

When Muslims engage in battle with enemy troops, they should not give all their attention to capturing the enemy soldiers, their primary concern is to vanquish the enemy, after which comes the issue of capturing them. When the Muslims capture their enemies, they are required to treat them well. When deciding what to do with them afterwards, they are either to be released for free [if they are not expected to pose any threat to the Muslims' safety in the future], or to set them free in return for a ransom.

Muslim jurists have differed over the option of killing them; some are for and others are against it. Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi is of the opinion that it is only the war criminals among the captives who are to be killed.

In this regard, the eminent Muslim scholar Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi, states:

"It is one of the results of war that there are captives on both sides. Our point of concentration here is on the Muslims' stance when they hold their enemies in captivity as was the case following the battles of Badr, Banu Quraydhah, Banu Al-Mustaleq, etc.

The first point that sheds light in this regard is that Islam stipulates that captives should be treated well and that their human rights should be observed. Moreover, the Qur'an treats the captives on an equal footing with the weak categories of society that deserve sympathy and charity such as the orphans and the needy. Allah the Almighty describes the righteous who are worthy of His pleasure and entering Paradise: “Lo! The righteous shall drink of a cup whereof the mixture is of water of Kafur. A spring wherefrom the slaves of Allah drink, making it gush forth abundantly. Because they perform the vow and fear a day whereof the evil is wide spreading. And feed with food the needy wretch, the orphan and the prisoner, for love of Him. (Saying): We feed you, for the sake of Allah only. We wish for no reward nor thanks from you.” (Al-Insan: 5-9).

Allah the Almighty addressed His Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) regarding the captives that the Muslims had captured during the Great Battle of Badr, saying: “O Prophet! Say unto those captives who are in your hands: If Allah knows any good in your hearts He will give you better than that which has been taken from you, and will forgive you. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.” (Al-Anfal: 70).

Contemplating this verse, we find that Almighty Allah orders His Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) to deal with the captives kindly so that they might be attracted to Islam.

No Enemy Captives are to Be Held before their Army is Vanquished

One of the strategic rules introduced by Islam is that no attention should be paid to capturing the enemy on the battlefield before vanquishing them altogether in a way that they will be subdued. Should the Muslims focus on holding the enemy soldiers in captivity, before achieving a concise victory over them, the enemy might think of launching another war against the Muslims in the future.

Allah the Almighty blamed His Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) following the Battle of Badr for being concerned during the battle, with capturing enemies before subduing the whole army of the enemy. Allah the Almighty says in this regard:

“It is not fitting for a Prophet that he should have prisoners of war until he has thoroughly subdued the land. You look for the temporal goods of this world; but Allah looks to the Hereafter: And Allah is Exalted in Might, Wise.” (Al-Anfal: 67).

In this verse, "temporal goods of this world" refers to the ransom the Muslims expected to take in return for setting the enemy captives free. Here, Allah the Almighty objects that the Muslims seek to have captives before vanquishing the enemy and subduing it altogether.

It is important to note that blame in this verse, is for taking captives before subduing the enemy altogether, not for taking the ransom instead of killing them as is usually mentioned in the biographies written about the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).

This is supported by Almighty Allah's words: "Now when you meet in battle those who disbelieve, then it is smiting of the necks until, when you have routed them, then making fast of bonds; and afterward either grace or ransom till the war lay down its burdens." (Muhammad: 4)

This verse indicates that the primary concern of the Muslims on the battlefield is "smiting of the necks" of the enemy until they have been routed altogether, and then comes "making fast of bonds," which refers to holding the remaining defeated enemies in captivity.

War in Islam is not fought for the sake of bloodshed, nor is there in Islam any instruction to the effect that after vanquishing the enemy, all its male members who are held in captivity are to be beheaded as is the case in the Torah. After completely subduing the enemy, the Muslims can capture its soldiers.

What is to Be Done after Capturing Enemies?

As mentioned in Surat Muhammad, verse 4 (quoted above), there are two choices regarding what is to be done regarding captives. These are, "either grace or ransom." These are the only choices mentioned in this verse regarding captives.

"Grace" here refers to releasing the captives out of showing mercy for the sake of Almighty Allah. This will affect them positively and may attract them to Islam.

"Ransom," in addition to its main meaning, i.e., setting the captives free in return for money, also refers to exchanging captives between the warring sides. Muslims can exchange the captives they hold for Muslim captives in the hands of the enemy. In such a process a captive from either side may be exchanged for one or more from the other side, depending on the importance and rank of the exchanged captive and the bargain made between both sides.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) released the captives the Muslims had captured in the Battle of Badr for ransom, for the Muslims were, at that time, in need of money [to help them in the establishment of the emerging Islamic state]. He (peace and blessings be upon him) did so also because he knew the families of the captives in Makkah were financially able to pay the ransom.

It was reported that some men of the Ansar asked for permission to meet the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). When they met him (peace and blessings be upon him), they said: "Oh Allah's Messenger! Allow us to give up the ransom demanded for our nephew `Abass ibn Abdul-Mutalib." The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Do not leave even a dirham for it.”

Concerning the captives whose families could not afford the ransom, he (peace and blessings be upon him) released them on condition that each of them would do a service, within his capability, for the Muslim community, such as teaching ten Muslim children how to read and write. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) did not fear that those polytheists might fill the minds of the young Muslims with bad ideas about Islam, for the operation was done under the supervision of the Muslim community.

Zayd ibn Thabit Al-Ansari, one of the Muslims entrusted with the task of recording the Revelation in writing, had been one of those taught reading and writing at the hands of the captives of Badr.

Releasing captives in return for their teaching some Muslims is an indication that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) was the first person to have combated illiteracy in a practical way, which was an unprecedented step at that time.

Can Captives Be Enslaved or Killed?

Jurists have two other additional options with regard to captives. These are either enslaving or killing them.

These two options are not mentioned in the Qur'an; they are, rather, derived from the Sunnah and the actions of the companions and the rightly-guided Caliphs.

Al-Hasan Al-Basri, an eminent righteous scholar, was reported to have said: "It is not lawful to keep captives in shackles; they are either be set free out of grace or released for ransom."

On the other hand, there are some jurists who say that there is no alternative in the case of polytheist captives other than killing them. Those jurists are of the opinion that the verse that mentions "grace" and "ransom" is abrogated by Allah's words:

"So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them" (At-Tawbah: 5).

A third point of view, mainly from At-Tabarani, an eminent scholar, is that both verses which mention "ransom" and "grace" and that which mentions slaying them are applicable in the case of captives. No verse abrogates the other. According to this view, verse 5, Surat At-Tawba means that killing them is an option too, for the rest of this verse includes "and take them captives…" in which case the Imam (ruler of the Muslims), reflecting on what is in the best interests of the Muslims, is to decide whether to kill them or release them either for free or for ransom. This is derived from the way the Prophet handled the cases of captives. For example, he (peace and blessings be upon him) ordered that `Uqbah ibn Abu Mu`ait and An-Nadhar ibn Al-Harith, who were captives at the Battle of Badr, be killed. And at the conquest of Makkah, it was said to him that Ibn Kattal, an evil enemy of Islam, had sought refuge at the Sacred House of Al-Ka`bah to prevent the Muslims from killing him. He (peace and blessings be upon him) said: "Kill him (any way)". He (peace and blessings be upon him) also released some captives for free and some others for ransom.

At-Tabarani denied that the verse of Surat Muhammad concerning captives is abrogated by the verse in Surat At-Tawbah, for both verses can be reconciled with one another (as clarified above). Abrogation is not to be regarded unless there is no way to reconcile the verse (or the hadith) said to have been abrogated.

Contemplating the Qur'anic texts and hadiths concerning the issue at hand, I agree with Imam Al-Hassan Al-Basri that the basic ruling to be applied to captives is either to set them free out of grace or for ransom [which also implies exchange of captives] according to Allah's words: 'and afterward either grace or ransom till the war lay down its burdens' (Muhammad: 4)

But there is an exception to be followed with criminals of war who are held in captivity. They are to be killed as a punishment for the atrocities they have committed against the Muslims- as was the case with `Uqbah ibn Abu Mu`ait, Ibn Khattal, the Jews of Banu Quraydhah, and the like. Such criminals are to be killed according to (the first option mentioned) in verse 5, Surat At-Tawbah."

--------------------
Title of Fatwa Islam’s Stance on Prisoners of War
Date of Reply 01/Jun/2003
Topic Of Fatwa Relations during War
Question of Fatwa Dear scholars, As-Salaam `Alaykum. I have read the News story Snaps Developer Horrified By Iraqi PoWs Torture Pics revealing physical and sexual abuses committed by the British occupation forces in Iraq against the Iraqi POWs which represent obvious violations to the Geneva Convention. I would like to know what does Islam say about the treatment of POWs! Jazakum Allah khayran.
Name of Mufti Group of Muftis
Content of Reply
Wa`alykum As-Salaamu Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, thank you very much for having confidence in us and we hope our efforts, which are purely for Allah’s Sake, meet your expectations.

As Islam stands against waging war, especially against the innocents, it never overlooks the possibility that mankind may resort to war against each other. That’s why it shows keenness on regulating warfare, between Muslims and non-Muslims; it enumerates those that should not be killed or even targeted during the battles. Not only that, but Islam also sets rules regarding those taken as prisoners of war; how they should be treated and dealt with.

Islam does not allow any form of abuse whether it is physical or sexual against the POWs. On the contrary, the Islamic texts have preceded the Geneva Convention in demanding clemency with captives and stressing that prisoners of war must be dealt with in an extremely merciful and kind manner.

This is what is clarified by the late Sheikh Muhammad Abu Zahrah, in his book Concept of War in Islam; it reads:

"Islam advocates clemency with captives. History has never known warriors so merciful to their captives as the early Muslims who followed the teachings of their religion. Numerous religious texts demand clemency with captives.

Prisoners are usually taken when a battle is at its height and there is danger that rage may lead the victorious warriors to harm those who have been defeated in order to take revenge. The Prophet, however urged his followers to treat their captives with clemency. He said to them “You are recommended to treat your captives kindly.” He also urged his Companions on the day of Badr to be kind to their captives. Accordingly the Companions of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, gave their captive preference over themselves in matters of food. This is the tolerance of Islam and its respect for human dignity.

In this way Muslims learned two kinds of Jihad. The first is Jihad on the battlefield where people give themselves to the cause of Allah and the second one is Jihad against one’s desires that restrains man’s rage and allows him to fight his foes with clemency and not in the accordance with the laws of the jungle.

What are the teachings of Islam as regard the prisoners of war? Does Islam grant them freedom, ransom or enslave them to the Muslims? Here, we should again refer to the religious texts and the example given by the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him. The most direct of these texts is Allah’s saying: “So when you meet in battle those who disbelieve, then smite the necks until when you have overcome them, then make (them) prisoners, and afterwards either set them free as a favor or let them ransom (themselves) until the war terminates." (Muhammad: 4)

The Qur’anic verse thus provides alternatives: either the Muslim commander should free those captives who can not offer ransom either in the form of money or an equivalent number of Muslim captives, or he should ransom his captives for money or for a similar number of Muslim captives. This is what is now known as an exchange of prisoners. That kind of ransoming should be adopted, as it leads to the release of two big groups of people – Muslims and non-Muslims.

The religion of freedom, therefore, esteems the freedom of those who do not follow it as much as it does that regarding its followers, for if the advocate of freedom is himself free, he will not make any discrimination on regional, racial or religious grounds, because freedom is a natural right to every human being.

The Qur’anic verse does not mention a third choice, namely the enslavement of captives; the Qur’anic text explicitly forbids it by limiting the choice to only two alternatives – free dismissal or ransoming – without referring to enslavement. Thus enslavement is not involved in the choice.

Moving to the Prophetic Tradition, we shall again find that the Prophet never enslaved a free man throughout his reign. His Companions did take some captives among the spoils in the conquest of “Bani al-Mustaliq” and turned them into salves. The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, did not explicitly prohibit them from doing that, but his own action (of setting free a prisoner) prompted them to release their captives.

This implies prohibitions of enslavement although it is not explicit. The Prophet avoided the enslavement of any free man in his wars; his actions tended towards its denunciation. He urged the manumission of those who had been enslaved. The Qur’an refers to the permissibility of slavery only to urge the emancipation of the enslaved.

The time of the Companions was characterized by the intensification of clashes between the Muslims and the Byzantines in the West and between the Muslims and Persians in the East. The enslaving of captive was practiced in the wars of these nations. When they captured Muslims, they sold them as salves. Those early Muslims made their dealing with their enemies on a reciprocal basis. They therefore retaliated by enslaving their enemies, as it was not fair that the Muslim captives should be kept as slaves while enemy captives should enjoy their freedom.

The Arab commanders found neither Prophetic text nor Qur’anic verse prohibiting slavery explicitly. They only found that the law of dealing on a reciprocal basis necessitated retaliation. Thus if the enemy enslaved a free Muslim it was the duty of Muslims to enslave an enemy captive in compliance with the verse: “If then any one transgresses the prohibition against you, transgress ye likewise against him. But fear Allah, and know that Allah is with those who restrain themselves.” (Al-Baqarah: 194). The Muslims fighters had therefore to enslave their enemies just as the latter had enslaved them. The sin lies with him who initiates the bad policy.

The Muslims dealt justly with their enemies in compliance with the injunctions of their religion. Having been forced to allow themselves to enslave their enemies they also tolerated the same thing from their enemies when they captured Muslims.

We may compare this wise policy in the treatment of captives with the modern practice which though not allowing the actual buying and selling of captives (as the slave trade has been abolished) yet it allows worse treatment. Captives of the vanquished party may be retained by the victor to do really hard work, while captives of the victor are released immediately after the cessation of hostilities.”

Moreover, Sheikh `Atiya Saqr, former head of Al-Azhar Fatwa Committee, adds:

"The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, urged Muslims to show good treatment to war captives; he said to his Companions: “Treat the prisoners of war kindly.” Relating how the Companions complied strictly with this order given by the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, one of the prisoners of Badr, Huzayr ibn Humayr, states: “I was with one of Ansari families, after being taken as captive.

Whenever they had lunch or dinner, they used to give me preference by providing me with bread while they’d eat only dates, in showing compliance with the Prophet’s order of treating prisoners well."

In light of the above-mentioned facts, it is crystal clear that Islam requires that prisoners of war, Muslim and non-Muslim alike, should be accorded with good treatment.
Old 27 July 2005, 11:20 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

war ethics
------------
Name Hartman - Germany
Title War Ethics in Islam
Question I am not a Muslim. Yet I’m a peace-loving person and I am eager to know whether there are ethics that govern war in your religion, especially as we know and see what happens nowadays: gross violations of all ethics and teachings. Your earliest response will be very much appreciated.
Date 01/Apr/2004
Mufti Islam Online Fatwa Editing Desk
Topic Relations during War
Answer
In The Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

Dear brother in humanity, thank you very much for having confidence in us, and we hope our efforts, which are purely for Allah's Sake, meet your expectations.

First of all, we would like to tell you that war is decreed in Islam in self defense. This indicates that aim behind war is to ward off aggression not to impose Islam as a religion. Referring to this, Allah Almighty says: “To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged; and verily God is most powerful for their aid.” (Al-Hajj:39)

Turning to the main topic of the question concerning war ethics in Islam, we would like to develop the whole issue while dealing with the following main points:

1-Personal Behavior of the Troops:

In war, as it is in peace, the instructions of Islam are to be observed. Worship does not cease in war. Islamic jurisprudence maintains that whatever is prohibited during peace is also prohibited during war. War is no excuse to be lenient with misbehaving troops. The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, is reported to have said: “Beware of the prayer of the oppressed; for there is no barrier between it and Allah.” Here, the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, differentiates between the oppressed believers and non-believers.

2-Whom to Fight:

Fighting should be directed only against fighting troops, and not to non- fighting personnel, and this is in compliance with the Qur’anic verse that reads: “ Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but begin not hostilities. Lo! Allah loveth not, aggressors.” (Al-Baqarah: 190)

In one of the battles, a woman was found killed, and this was denounced by the Prophet saying "She did not fight" This will be further detailed under the instructions given to the armies and their commanding chiefs by the Prophet and his Caliphs.

3-The Prophet's instructions to Commanding Chiefs:

The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, used to instruct his commanding chiefs saying: “Fight in the cause of Allah. Fight those who deny Allah; Do not be embittered. Do not be treacherous. Do not mutilate. Do not kill children or those (people) in convents.”

4-Abu-Bakr's instructions to Usama's Campaign on Syria:

“Do not betray or be treacherous or vindictive. Do not mutilate. Do not kill the children, the aged or the women. Do not cut or bum palm trees or fruitful trees. Don’t slay a sheep, a cow or camel except for your food. And you will come across people who confined themselves to worship in hermitages, leave them alone to what they devoted themselves for.”

5-Abu-Bakr's Instructions to Yazid ibn-Abi Sufian:

“I give you ten commandments: don’t kill a woman or a child or an old person, and don’t cut trees or ruin dwellings or slay a sheep but for food. Dont burn palm trees or drown them. And don’t be spiteful or unjust.”

6-Maintaining Justice and Avoidance of Blind Retaliation:

None can be more illustrative in this respect than the words of the Qurt’an. Allah Almighty says: “ O ye who believe! Be steadfast witnesses for Allah in equity, and let not hatred of any people seduce you that ye deal not justly. Deal justly, that is nearer to your duty. Observe your duty to Allah. Lo! Allah is Informed of what ye do.” (Al-Maidah: 8)

7-Medical and Nursing Services:

From the early days of Islam the sanctity of the medical profession was recognized. Christian and Jewish doctors were employed by the Islamic state since the days of the Umayyads, and some of them were even court and personal physicians to caliphs. Under the tolerant attitude of Islam, some of them got the chance to unfold their full scientific potential and thus contributed to the progress of medical knowledge.

Medical help was a right to all men in spite of religion or creed. That this was also extended to those amongst enemy. An example well known in the West is that of Saladin securing medical help to his opponent, Richard Lion Heart of England who was seriously ill during the Crusades. Saladin sent him his own doctor and personally supervised Richard's treatment until he became well.

In quoting this particular example, one dare say that such an attitude was quite different to the behavior characterizing the invading crusaders. When the crusaders entered Jerusalem on July 15th 1099, they slaughtered seventy thousand Muslims including women, children and old men. They broke children's skulls by knocking against the wall, threw babies from roof tops, roasted men over fire and cut up women's bellies to see if they had swallowed gold.

This description was given by Gibbon, a Christian writer, and commented on by Ludbig Wbo wondered how come after those horrible atrocities they prayed at the burial place of Christ for blessing and forgiveness (Draper/History of the Intellectual Development of Europe, Vol. 2, p. 77).

We do not mention this in bitterness or prejudice for every honest Muslim or Christian well knows that Christianity is something and many deeds of the crusaders are something else.

8-Prisoners of War:

For the first time in religious or sectarian history, Islam adopted an attitude of mercy and caring for the captured enemy. Unprecedented by previous legal systems, and long before the Geneva Convention, Islam set the rule that the captive is sheltered by his captivity and the wounded by his injury.

Previously, it was the custom for the captive to work for his food or get it through private means. The Qur’an made it a charity to feed the prisoners saying:

“Lo! the righteous shall drink of a cup whereof the mixture is of water of Kafur. A spring wherefrom the slaves of Allah drink, making it gush forth abundantly. Because they perform the vow and fear a day whereof the evil is wide spreading. And feed with food the needy wretch, the orphan and the prisoner, for love of Him. (Saying): We feed you, for the sake of Allah only. We wish for no reward nor thanks from you.” (Al-Insan: 5-9)

The Prophet instructed his Companions to be good to the captives. In one of his traditions, the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, ordered his Companions saying: “ You should be good to the captives.”

Abu Aziz-ibn Umair, one of the captives of Badr battle, recalls:

“Whenever I sat with my captors for lunch or dinner, they would offer me the bread and themselves the dates, in view of the Prophet's recommendation in our favor (in that desert situation bread was the more luxurious item of food than dates)

As soon as any of them held a piece of bread, he would offer it to me. "Feeling shy, I would give it back to one of them but he would immediately return it to me."

Another, Thumama ibn-Athal, was taken prisoner and brought to the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, who said: “Be good to him in his captivity.” When the Prophet went home he instructed to collect whatever food there, and ordered it sent to the prisoner.

When the Jewish tribe of Bani Qurayzah were captured, loads of dates were regularly carried to them, with the Prophet's instructions to shelter them from the summer sun and to provide them with water to drink.

From the legal point of view, Muslim opinion is unanimous on the prohibition of subjecting the captives to ill treatment by withholding food, drink or clothing.

9-The Fate of War Prisoners:

This was based upon the teaching of the Qur’an:

“Now when ye meet in battle those who disbelieve, then it is smiting of the necks until, when ye have routed them, then making fast of bonds; and afterward either grace or ransom till the war lay down its burdens. That (is the ordinance). And if Allah willed He could have punished them (without you) but (thus it is ordained) that He may try some of you by means of others. And those who are slain in the way of Allah, He rendereth not their actions vain.” (Muhammad: 4)

According to Islamic law, the captive belongs to the state and not to his captor. The ruler has the ultimate option, as he sees fit, of granting freedom or doing that after taking a ransom.

Among those whom the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, granted freedom was a poet called Abu-Azza who said to the Prophet: “I have five daughters who have no one to support them, so give me away to them as a charity and I promise never to fight you or help your enemies.

Abul-As Ibn Al Rabiae was freed for a ransom, which the Prophet later returned back to him. Later, the man embraced Islam.

Umarna Ibn-Athal was set free upon his promise not to provide the enemy with food. This gentle treatment touched the man’s heart and was then converted to Islam saying to the Prophet: "There was a time when your face was the most hated face to me, and there comes a day when it is the most loved.”

Sometimes captives were exchanged for Muslim captives in enemy hands. An acceptable ransom that was quite often carried out was to teach ten Muslim children to read and write. It is noteworthy that modern international law allows for setting free a prisoner of war on equivalent lines.

Personnel were set free upon their word of honor not to fight again, and they should not be ordered by their governments to go to battle again. If they break their promise, they might be punishable by death if they are captured again.

10-Nonbelligerents

Islam never fought nations but fought only despotic authorities. Islamic war was one of liberation and not of compulsion. The freedom of the liberated people to decide their religion has already been mentioned, and it was to ensure this freedom that Muslims fought. It is interesting to mention that when Muslims fought the Romans in Egypt, the Egyptian Copts sided with and helped Muslims against the Romans who were Christians like them. This was because Christian Egypt was suffering religious oppression by the Christian Romans to compel them to adopt their religious beliefs.

One of the earliest actions of the Muslims in Egypt was the assurance of religious freedom and the reinstatement of Bejamin as Bishop of Alexandria after years of hiding from the Romans in the western desert.

But religious freedom was but one aspect that Islam gave. Whether Arab or Egyptian, Muslim or Christian, Islam built up that FELLOWSHIP that humanity aspires to, in equality and fraternity .The story is well known of the running contest held in Egypt and won by an Egyptian to the dismay of an Arab competitor who was the son of `Amru Ibn Al-`Aas, governor of Egypt. The Arab hit the boy saying 'how dare you outrun me and I am the son of the nobility." Upon which Umar, the caliph, ordered the three all the way to Madinah, and ordered the Egyptian to avenge by hitting the offending Arab, saying: "Hit him back. Hit the son of nobility." Addressing `Amru, he uttered his famous saying: “O `Amru, since when have you enslaved people while their mothers have born them free.”

10-International Law:

The process of active intervention to stop or remove aggression is a development that modem international law has recognized.

The second world war for example was sparked by Germany's invasion of Poland, and drew into the fighting countries that were not direct parties to the conflict. One of the fruits of war was the creation of the United Nations in order to settle disputes between nations by peaceful means or indeed if necessary by a collective military force. No one should argue therefore that Egypt and the Roman Empire for example should have been left alone to solve their mutual problems. In modem times the rest of the family of nations consider it a duty to do something about it. Fourteen centuries prior to the establishment of the League of Nations and later the United Nations, Islam decreed such responsibility.

The legal principle of intervention to solve dispute was offered by the Qur’anic saying:

“If two parties of believers fall into a quarrel, make ye peace between them: But if one of them transgresses beyond bounds against the other, then fight ye (all) against the one that transgresses until it complies with the command of God; but if it complies, then make peace between them with justice, and be fair: for God loves those who are fair.” (Al-Hujurat: 9)

11-Respect of Treaties and Agreements:

One of the major shortcomings of modern international politics is its meager regard to moral obligation. Time and again, treaties and agreements proved unworthy of the price of paper they had been written on. The most splendid produce of the human intellect in the field of international law might instantly vanish upon the call of greed or creed at this age that we wish to think has brought us to the epic of civilization.

And what is worse is that the most sophisticated achievements of scientific progress are often used as tools in the hands of Godless or God-disregarding policies: instead of being exploited 'in the cause of God.’

From the outset, Islam has emphatically prohibited treachery by taking the enemy by surprise attack. Recent examples of signing a pact or treaty with a nation as camouflage to hidden intent to attack it are quite contrary to Islam, as several quotations from the Qur’an reads:

“ O ye who believe! Fulfil your undertakings…”(Al-Maidah:1)

“Fulfill the convenant of God when you have entered into it, and break not your oaths after you have confirmed them; indeed you have made God your surety, for God knoweth an that you do.” (An-Nahl: 91)

If Muslims sense the treachery of any enemy with whom they had a treaty, they should declare to him the annulment of that treaty before embarking on war again.

“Thou fearest treachery from any group, throw back (their covenant) to them, (so as to be) on equal terms: for God loveth not the treacherous.” (Al-Anfal:85)

Although Muslims are bound to go to the help of their Muslim brethren who are religiously persecuted in the land of an enemy; they are not allowed to fulfill this duty if there is a treaty between the Muslim community and this enemy. Priority goes to honouring the treaty.

“But if they seek your aid in religion, it is your duty to help them, except against a people with whom you have a treaty of mutual alliance. And (remember) God seeth an that you do." (Al-Anfal:72)

Now, Can any law be more idealistic!?

And above all, this is not a nicety to be taken or left by the state. It is a binding religious dictate overruling emotion and prejudice: otherwise it would be a grave violation of Islam.”

The above quotation is excerpted with slight modifications from www.islamset.com

You can also read:

Islam’s Stance on Prisoners of War

If you have any further comments, please don't hesitate to write back!

May Allah guide you to the straight path, and guide you to that which pleases Him, Amen.
Old 27 July 2005, 11:39 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Moses, .......I will talk to you because unlike some f**kin idiots on here like gsm.....sometimes you make some sense.

As you might have gathered, I don't like Arabs/ Muslims, in general.
This started when I was sent to Iraq on Telic 1.
I like many others was sent there and didn't randomly shoot at women/ children. In fact, there is a major point stressed with not injuring civillians.
Hearts and minds.........as we are told.....
BUT.........there is at least an elemental grasp of respect amongst 'soldiers'.
Six of my colleagues, one of them my friend of many years was killed.
I'm not talking killed exchanging rounds over 100 metres, I'm talking handing over his weapon, in realisation of having no chance of surviving, and being shot in the face by his own weapon.
Soldiers don't do that.........
Old 27 July 2005, 11:42 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Man....

War ethics....what the **** do you know about war?...
Old 27 July 2005, 11:47 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

taff i think its in referance to the koran
Old 27 July 2005, 11:58 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

...I know....and Moses, I saw that program on Chechnya too.

I can realy understand the Chechen reason - and don't even start to liken it to Iraq....

I went to Bosnia in 92/93 and what an eye-opener it was.
"Who is fighting here? Muslim / Croatia / Serbia ?
**** reason - **** result - people die for **** all........
Old 28 July 2005, 09:57 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Taff107
Moses, .......I will talk to you because unlike some f**kin idiots on here like gsm.....sometimes you make some sense.

I like many others was sent there and didn't randomly shoot at women/ children. In fact, there is a major point stressed with not injuring civillians.
I'm not talking killed exchanging rounds over 100 metres, I'm talking handing over his weapon, in realisation of having no chance of surviving, and being shot in the face by his own weapon.
taff maybe u forgot the slaying of unarmed men in fallujah shot dead and dont know how many more, no cams were allowed and soldiers do that all the time, israel, usa, british u know that dont u, a few of them getting done for war crimes possibly how many more we dont know off, russians do it all the time and as a bonus rape lil girls and serbia .gang raping bosnian and kosovan, croation lil girls and executing elderly

soldiers do that all the time
Old 28 July 2005, 10:29 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Taff107

sorry taff i had a customer so couldnt respond to the last part and also then i started replying to jtaylors post in the other thread

so sorry to hear about your friends mate, may they rest in peace
thats a very sick thing to do to anyone mate, its cowardly

and also if theirs a war on full on and the enemy slaughtered alot of your folk, u cant blame anyone doing the same to the enemy soldier bud, it was an invasion but its sad when a person does that like hand over his weapon and gets shot i wont shoot him , it will be bad in my sight
Old 28 July 2005, 10:30 AM
Martin_Aimless
Scooby Regular

Location: Weapons are like money; no one knows the meaning of enough. M.A.
Thumbs down

more preaching from the mad mullah

Old 28 July 2005, 10:31 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Martin_Aimless
more preaching from the mad mullah

hmm only one thing to say to u

if u dont like it, dont read it

but u just cant help it right
Old 28 July 2005, 11:13 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I found some great preaching here!

I find this really makes me look forward to the rest of my life, knowing that extremists are growing in their strength and seeking to hunt me downa nd kill me on the basis of a religion I was born into.

Many of my friends are muslims, I hope they don't listen to all this stuff!
Old 28 July 2005, 12:01 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Adam M
I found some great preaching here!

I find this really makes me look forward to the rest of my life, knowing that extremists are growing in their strength and seeking to hunt me downa nd kill me on the basis of a religion I was born into.

Many of my friends are muslims, I hope they don't listen to all this stuff!

just gonna watch it now and noticed its in palestine

what do u expect after the genocide the palestinians go through if it is extreme

im gonna watch it and then comment
Old 28 July 2005, 12:03 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

moses, it is anti jew, not anti israeli, it says they should all be wiped out.

Quick Reply: zarqawi news