Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Honor Killings - what's your take?

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2005, 05:08 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honor Killings - what's your take?

Taken from: FrontPage.com

"Radical Islam is feeling threatened by the growth of freedom and liberty all around the world and it now feels that it is being encircled by it, especially with the reality of the internet, etc. Therefore, to retain its vicious and sadistic power structure, it ferociously inflicts violence, not only on the symbols of freedom outside of it, but also on the symbol of freedom inside of it (i.e. the notion of women’s equality and all the threat that it poses to tyrannical structures.)

One of the best methods by which radical Islam can contain its despotic hold on its own culture, therefore, is to enslave the female gender and to simultaneously try to make its powerless males feel powerful by allowing them vicious tyranny over women. And, therefore, we have honor killings"

Last edited by JTaylor; 26 July 2005 at 06:19 PM.
Old 26 July 2005, 05:10 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Is that your POV or are you quoting somebody else?
Old 26 July 2005, 05:11 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

LOL looks like a copy and paste job to me
Old 26 July 2005, 05:13 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
LOL looks like a copy and paste job to me
Me too, hence the question. Rather polar and innacurate IMO, this issue is wider than Islam.

The public perception is that ‘honour’ killings occur only in Muslim families. This is not true as many Hindu, Sikh, Chinese and Arab families also face the same problem. The ‘dishonour’ inflicted on the family is a characteristic of social tradition – it is not a breach of religious belief. Neither Islam nor Hinduism advocate or condone ‘honour’ killings. Religion, social tradition and cultural diversity are often used by the guilty to justify their action

http://www.bashirkhanbhai.co.uk/publ...honour1003.htm
Old 26 July 2005, 05:21 PM
zakk
Scooby Regular

What a load of old cack, if it was religion reltaed it would be called religious killings you dork!!
Old 26 July 2005, 05:23 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Radical Islam is feeling threatened by the growth of freedom and liberty all around the world and it now feels that it is being encircled by it, especially with the reality of the internet, etc. Therefore, to retain its vicious and sadistic power structure, it ferociously inflicts violence, not only on the symbols of freedom outside of it, but also on the symbol of freedom inside of it (i.e. the notion of women’s equality and all the threat that it poses to tyrannical structures.)

One of the best methods by which radical Islam can contain its despotic hold on its own culture, therefore, is to enslave the female gender and to simultaneously try to make its powerless males feel powerful by allowing them vicious tyranny over women. And, therefore, we have honor killings.
Forgive me. It is a copy and paste job from an article which I read a few moments a go. Simply interested to know peoples thoughts.

JT
Old 26 July 2005, 05:26 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Forgive me. It is a copy and paste job from an article which I read a few moments a go. Simply interested to know peoples thoughts.

JT
In that case, it's badly thought out drivel.
Old 26 July 2005, 05:28 PM
Reality
BANNED

Cack / drivel - About sums it up !

Did you get it from the BNP website ?
Old 26 July 2005, 05:28 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Old 26 July 2005, 05:32 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Me too, hence the question. Rather polar and innacurate IMO, this issue is wider than Islam.
Agreed, but given this forum's focus upon the realtionship between western values and that of Islam, I felt it was relevant. Much space has been given to the rights and wrongs of the bombings and I was keen to open up a discussion relating to womens rights within Islam.

Last edited by JTaylor; 26 July 2005 at 06:23 PM.
Old 26 July 2005, 05:33 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zakk
What a load of old cack, if it was religion reltaed it would be called religious killings you dork!!
Are you referring to me when you say dork?
Old 26 July 2005, 05:39 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Why, did you like it?
Old 26 July 2005, 06:10 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Why, did you like it?
FFS just trying to generate a conversation which considers other issues beyond "they bombed us send 'em home". Thought it would be interesting to get some intelligent responses to a contentious issue such as womens rights within Islam. Not seen it discussed on these boards.....although it's entrirely relevant to the whole debate. Nevermind
Old 26 July 2005, 06:13 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

FFS just trying to generate a conversation which considers other issues beyond "they bombed us send 'em home". Thought it would be interesting to get some intelligent responses to a contentious issue such as womens rights within Islam. Not seen it discussed on these boards.....although it's entrirely relevant to the whole debate. Nevermind
I think it may be valid to discuss "honour killings" or the opression of women in the wider context of asia as a whole. It would seem to be more cultural than religious and to lay the blame squarely at the feet of Islam at this time is rather unhelpful IMO.
Old 26 July 2005, 06:18 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I think it may be valid to discuss "honour killings" or the opression of women in the wider context of asia as a whole. It would seem to be more cultural than religious and to lay the blame squarely at the feet of Islam at this time is rather unhelpful IMO.
Fair point. I evidently didn't give enough consideration to the post. I take it that people who have read this post thus far, are comfortable enough with Islam's approach to women's right not to tender an opinion.
Old 26 July 2005, 06:21 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

P.S. The original quote refers to "Radical Islam" who are, after all, the subject of the majority of the debate which has raged over the past few weeks.
Old 26 July 2005, 06:36 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

I don't give a f*ck what they do, I just wish they'd concentrate on doing it to each other and not drag the rest of the world into their mire.
Old 26 July 2005, 06:46 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

And what exactly did you want to elicit in a conversation about honor killings? I would be horrified if anyone on here supported them.
Old 26 July 2005, 06:48 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

I'd be interested in "king of the moderate muslims" moses' take on this.
Old 26 July 2005, 06:58 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Default Honour Killings - what's your take

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
And what exactly did you want to elicit in a conversation about honor killings? I would be horrified if anyone on here supported them.
Why? My point being, that despite the xenophobia, the nationalist sabre rattling and the short sightedness, nobody has discussed, with any credibility or accuracy, many of the fundamental differences between our cultures. One of those differences is that women are viewed differently within the Islamic faith, then they are by the west. Despite equal opportunities being one of the central tenets of "our way of life", I have not read any objections on this forum, pertaining to radical Islam's treatment of women.

Last edited by JTaylor; 26 July 2005 at 08:56 PM.
Old 26 July 2005, 06:59 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
I'd be interested in "king of the moderate muslims" moses' take on this.
My point exactly.
Old 26 July 2005, 07:08 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Why? My point being, that despite the xenophobia, the nationalist sabre rattling and the short sightedness, nobody has discussed, with any credibility or accuracy, many of the fundamental differences between our cultures. One of those differences is that women are viewed differently within the Islamic faith, then they are by the west. Despite equal opportunities being one of the central tenets of "our way of life", I have not read any objections on this forum, pertaining to radical Islam's treatment of women.
Yes, but it isn't just Islam, there are a lot of other factors involved. Go to Indonesia or Malaysia for example and the women there are not treated badly.
Old 26 July 2005, 07:15 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Yes, but it isn't just Islam, there are a lot of other factors involved. Go to Indonesia or Malaysia for example and the women there are not treated badly.
The topic which has been discussed almost exclusively over the last couple of weeks has been Muslim Fundamentalists, Radicals, Extremists etc. hence, this particular thread pertains specifically to Islam.

"Terrorism" does not lay squarely at the feet of Islam, it is a cross-cultural phonomenon. This has not however stopped the topic being dicussed solely in relation to Islam.
Old 26 July 2005, 07:21 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Yes, but often terrorism is done in the name of Islam specifically, whether it's hatred of the west, the desire for a global Islamic state or revenge for foreign policy.

Honor killins are not, they are actually a pre-Islamic, tribal custom stemming from the patriarchal and patrilineal society's interest in keeping strict control over familial power structures.
Old 26 July 2005, 07:26 PM
Angry
Scooby Regular

Beat me to it Kiwi, this is much more about freedom of women and male control in these countries/cultures than Islam.
Old 26 July 2005, 07:32 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Yes, but often terrorism is done in the name of Islam specifically, whether it's hatred of the west, the desire for a global Islamic state or revenge for foreign policy.

Honor killins are not, they are actually a pre-Islamic, tribal custom stemming from the patriarchal and patrilineal society's interest in keeping strict control over familial power structures.
Impressive. So, by this rationale, and in direct reponse to the statement above, terrorism is Islamic (unacceptable) and the oppression of women by Muslim's is simply cultural and therefor acceptable.
Old 26 July 2005, 07:39 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

What he said!

I was going to type something long winded, but I dont need to know - thanks!

I will say though, yes it does happen, yes it does happen within Islamic countries, no however, it has nothing to do with Islam itself. Islam actually grants tremendous rights to women, noteworthy, due to those rights being granted a very long time ago. Further noteworthy however, is that very few of those rights are freely exercised, and/or widely throughout the Islamic World, IMO.

This is due, also IMO, to the fact that not enough Muslims who have read the Koran, understand it, (like me for instance) This is due to the requirement that it be read in its original Arabic form, and I do not understand Arabic. Plus side of this is that the Koran has remained unchanged and unedited throughout all of the ages.

Downside is that most Muslims IMO, seek knowledge of what they should/should not be doing from their Imams, parents etc. This can be ok, but IMO is open to cultural bias. In my case, the Punjabi culture in our house (Punjab being the region of the sub-continent where my folks come from) was a far stronger influence than religion.

One of the traits of this (in my house) was the subjugation of women. On the flip side my Mum and Sisters seemed fairly ok with this, as that was how they were brought up.

Plus side, was that Dad (being very chauvinistic) was ok about whatever the lads got up to, going out all night, girls, drinking, etc, as long as it wasn't in his face. Down side, this did not apply to the girls, who were strictly controlled. I could go on.

In summary then, completely un-Islamic, but practised none the less, as Islam is sometimes not the greatest influence in peoples' lives.

Re-reading this I have to take back the long reply comment, could have been MUCH longer though.

Asif

PS All due respect to the original poster but can we chill out on the Islamic threads for a bit, I'm getting sick of them, but feel compelled to reply to these. I'd rather talk about the weather tbh!
Old 26 July 2005, 07:42 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Impressive. So, by this rationale, and in direct reponse to the statement above, terrorism is Islamic (unacceptable) and the oppression of women by Muslim's is simply cultural and therefor acceptable.
Neither are acceptable, where on earth do you get that from? I think you are trying to twist my words and turn this into some kind of blatant anti-Islam argument.

Why the need for Islam to be brought into this? Oppression of women happens world wide irrespective of women, shouldn't that be what we discuss or are you saying that anyone can oppress women, but we should single out Muslims?
Old 26 July 2005, 07:50 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AsifScoob
What he said!

I was going to type something long winded, but I dont need to know - thanks!

I will say though, yes it does happen, yes it does happen within Islamic countries, no however, it has nothing to do with Islam itself. Islam actually grants tremendous rights to women, noteworthy, due to those rights being granted a very long time ago. Further noteworthy however, is that very few of those rights are freely exercised, and/or widely throughout the Islamic World, IMO.

This is due, also IMO, to the fact that not enough Muslims who have read the Koran, understand it, (like me for instance) This is due to the requirement that it be read in its original Arabic form, and I do not understand Arabic. Plus side of this is that the Koran has remained unchanged and unedited throughout all of the ages.

Downside is that most Muslims IMO, seek knowledge of what they should/should not be doing from their Imams, parents etc. This can be ok, but IMO is open to cultural bias. In my case, the Punjabi culture in our house (Punjab being the region of the sub-continent where my folks come from) was a far stronger influence than religion.

One of the traits of this (in my house) was the subjugation of women. On the flip side my Mum and Sisters seemed fairly ok with this, as that was how they were brought up.

Plus side, was that Dad (being very chauvinistic) was ok about whatever the lads got up to, going out all night, girls, drinking, etc, as long as it wasn't in his face. Down side, this did not apply to the girls, who were strictly controlled. I could go on.

In summary then, completely un-Islamic, but practised none the less, as Islam is sometimes not the greatest influence in peoples' lives.

Re-reading this I have to take back the long reply comment, could have been MUCH longer though.

Asif

PS All due respect to the original poster but can we chill out on the Islamic threads for a bit, I'm getting sick of them, but feel compelled to reply to these. I'd rather talk about the weather tbh!
This is the kind of response (from an obvious moderate) which educates people (like me) and helps breed tolerance and understanding. Your candour and honesty is to be applauded. Apologies for the thread title, it was designed specifically to generate a response, although in hindsight it was insensitive.

How's the weather where you are?

Last edited by JTaylor; 26 July 2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old 26 July 2005, 08:11 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

This is the kind of response (from an obvious moderate) which educates people (like me) and helps breed tolerance and understanding. Your candour and honesty is to be applauded. Apologies for the thread title, it was designed specifically to generate a reponse, although in hindsight it was insensitive.

How's the weather where you are?
LOL

Thanks for that.

Feels a bit muggy here in W London. I think its going to rain. I am very pleased about that though as I have been very concerned over my lawn recently and haven't been able to cut the grass because some of it got a bit singed in the Sun!

Still some rain and careful watering is helping to heal the lawn and I can continue working on my stripes again very soon I hope.

Whereabouts are you? And is the weather any different?

Asif

Last edited by AsifScoob; 26 July 2005 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Poor English!

Quick Reply: Honor Killings - what's your take?