Why I am becoming less Racist

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2005, 02:33 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why I am becoming less Racist

Some of you may remember my rather infamous "Why I am a Racist Post"

Now as some of you may remember I said that I often met people who have moved to England from abroad.

Now I have become good friends with some people, from different ethnic backgrounds. However I think the pinacle point came when I was speaking to one Albanian who has lived in this country about a fight which kicked off involving him the week before. (NB I was not involved, just happened to be walking past and recognised his car)

To which he made a statement that I will never forget, when I asked him why he wanted to move to England.

He proceed to say that he was a refugee had British passport etc etc etc and he told me he moved to England because of trouble and fighting in his own country. And that he was annoyed that somebody had started the fight the previous week as HE HAD COME HERE TO GET AWAY FROM FIGHTS AND DID NOT WISH TO PARTICIPATE IN THEM HERE. He said that if he wanted to fight he would have stayed in his own country.

Don't ask me why but that conversation has had a great impact my ideas and beliefs to the point where I am arguing with people I used to share the same beliefs with.

However the asylum seeker who lives in the flat with the big sky dish outside of my work still annoys the crap out of me by getting a taxi everywhere payed for by the government. I mean ffs what is wrong with the bus.

Regards

Ian
Old 26 July 2005, 02:36 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by farmer1
I mean ffs what is wrong with the bus.

Regards

Ian
Too dangerous
Old 26 July 2005, 03:09 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

because you have what MJ has and your changing colour?
Old 26 July 2005, 03:28 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
because you have what MJ has and your changing colour?

lol
Old 26 July 2005, 11:37 PM
CoobyS
Scooby Regular

You should become less racist also because of the fact you need to realise that it was our very own people who encouraged post-war immigration in the 50's onwards.

Let's hope none of these immigrants do what we did to countries like India...and that tart still has the Kohi-Noor in her crown. Give it back to 'em!
Old 26 July 2005, 11:44 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CoobyS
Let's hope none of these immigrants do what we did to countries like India...and that tart still has the Kohi-Noor in her crown. Give it back to 'em!
What like give them modern medicine, legal systems, a great public service infrastructure, cars, phones, aircraft, computers, trains etc etc?

Sorry but in history the smarter/stronger sides always win and sometimes that's unfair, but we can't go back. One day in the future Britain might be supplying cheap labour to the Chinese.
Old 26 July 2005, 11:51 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I hate people on an invididual basis.

If they happen to be a different sex/age/religion/colour then to outside observers that makes me sexist/ageist/racist

.....I hate them too
Old 27 July 2005, 12:18 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I hate people on an invididual basis.
I'm pretty much the same, a misanthropist I think it is. I can find something to hate about every religion, culture or country in the world.
Old 27 July 2005, 12:29 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

A good way of becoming less racist is to travel. Meet foreigners in their own country and you'll normally find out they are a decent bunch of human beings. Often a lot more friendly and generous than we are in the UK. Not always mind.... dl
Old 27 July 2005, 12:35 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by David Lock
A good way of becoming less racist is to travel. Meet foreigners in their own country and you'll normally find out they are a decent bunch of human beings. Often a lot more friendly and generous than we are in the UK. Not always mind.... dl

You ever been to Germany
Old 27 July 2005, 12:44 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

David, actually it is and it isn't.

I left NZ years ago very naive and looked at the world through rose tinted glasses. After travelling extensively throughout Asia and Europe I found that a lot of my illusions were shattered. The world isn't always full of exotic, friendly cultures and people. You quickly learn that each nation has it's own bad habits and even within nations the different sub-groups of people. Racism is very much a real thing outside of our relatively tolerant countries. Malays hate the Chinese, Thais hate the Burmese and think the Vietnamese are beneath them, Indonesia is full of Muslims, Hindus and Christians that generally dislike eachother (Java/Bali/Sumatra/East Timor), Japanese vs Koreans, Japanese vs China etc.

And this is all ingrained into their society and completely acceptable to them, and in many cases you can see the reasons. There doesn't seem to be such a concept of racism in a lot of countries.

So travelling allows you to learn more about people and tolerate them more, but it also shows you the real culture and it also teaches you what goes on in the real world.

We are far too PC in this country though and we end up masking real problems. Some things aren't racist, they are the truth, but all the do-gooders here attack you when you tell the truth.
Old 27 July 2005, 12:48 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
You ever been to Germany
I've always found the Germans extremely friendly and polite.

Bizarrely enough, i would say that from an outsiders view the Germans are in many ways similar to the English, more so than any other European country.
Old 27 July 2005, 01:00 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Kiwi, what an excellent commentary. I suppose I was having a go at stereotypes - "he's black so it's all his fault" and especially "he/she is African and dieing but they breed like rabbits so what do you expect".

I guess what I should have said is that travel at least gives you a chance to make your own mind up and to knock some of the stereotypes on the head. dl

PS. FB - yep been to Germany - may be that's the exception to the rule some dirty nightclubs in Hamburg though
Old 27 July 2005, 10:21 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Racism is very much a real thing outside of our relatively tolerant countries. Malays hate the Chinese, Thais hate the Burmese and think the Vietnamese are beneath them, Indonesia is full of Muslims, Hindus and Christians that generally dislike eachother (Java/Bali/Sumatra/East Timor), Japanese vs Koreans, Japanese vs China etc.

And this is all ingrained into their society and completely acceptable to them, and in many cases you can see the reasons. There doesn't seem to be such a concept of racism in a lot of countries.
So you mean like:

England and France
England and Germany
Scottish and English
Welsh and English
Irish and English
USA and the rest of the world

etc, etc.
Old 27 July 2005, 01:50 PM
CoobyS
Scooby Regular

What like give them modern medicine, legal systems, a great public service infrastructure, cars, phones, aircraft, computers, trains etc etc?

Sorry but in history the smarter/stronger sides always win and sometimes that's unfair, but we can't go back. One day in the future Britain might be supplying cheap labour to the Chinese.
I dont think they stole any of what you mention.

The kohi-noor is a stone that belongs to India.
Old 27 July 2005, 02:08 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CoobyS
I dont think they stole any of what you mention.

The kohi-noor is a stone that belongs to India.
They didn't steal that either. It was spoil of war, as it had been many times before. (possibly also given to Queen Victoria)
Old 27 July 2005, 03:59 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

KiwiGT,

This misanthropism is all very well, but I have found out in life that it is always easier to assume the good in a person or organisation until that is proved to be wrong.

If they or it are going to turn out bad it will show soon enough, but if the reverse is true as it usually is, things are so much more relaxed and you might even live longer.

Les
Old 27 July 2005, 04:11 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
KiwiGT,

This misanthropism is all very well, but I have found out in life that it is always easier to assume the good in a person or organisation until that is proved to be wrong.

If they or it are going to turn out bad it will show soon enough, but if the reverse is true as it usually is, things are so much more relaxed and you might even live longer.

Les
You are probably right, but with my way I'm never disappointed. It is true though, you rarely meet genuine selfless individuals these days, particularly in the workplace.
Old 27 July 2005, 11:32 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

You are probably right, but with my way I'm never disappointed. It is true though, you rarely meet genuine selfless individuals these days, particularly in the workplace.

So you don't know me then? - your loss

p.s. - I bet I make some comission out of this post