Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Now I know why we have so many chavs...

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2005, 11:32 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now I know why we have so many chavs...

A stunning bit of news from education land... you just cant fail. Love the guys totally misleading analogy as well.

Round em up, put em in a field and bomb the b@rstards.
Old 20 July 2005, 07:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

All part of the eventual downfall of this country.

Les
Old 20 July 2005, 08:10 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

PLease believe me when I say that the retired idiot in the article does not speak for most teachers I have to deal with the results of the schools when they reach FE. As my other job, I'm a programme leader on a Sound Course (my main job ), students who don't make the grade are given the boot, and students who CAN'T make the grade are given as much help as possible. There is a difference

IMHO, this type of PC sh1te comes from is the governing bodies (Edexcel etc) and Learning Skills Council, who are under pressure from the government to achieve target figures

Hence, why kids are stupider these days. The "streamlining" of cirriculum to groom students for their GCSEs, has resulted in a failure in the basic skills that kids should have.

Most FE establishments have had to implement a GOVERNMENT incentive called "Key Skills" (GCSE-type quals in IT, Maths and English). The framework is designed to "polyfilla" the gaps in the students' knowledge-base. Not suprising when the schools are being told to teach/educate to specification

Schools are now implementing KeySkills - makes me think that the GCSE has had its day..............

Education has an awful lot of "FAs" ("effin' academics" as my dad calls them!! ) who are all-involving members of the self-righteous brigade. (Kinda reminds me of ScoobyNet!!! ) However, there are many educators who are "normal" members of society!!!!

Please don't tar us all with the same brush. Whilst we all have one goal - to improve a child/student's life (a pretty thankless task sometimes), some take it a bit more personally/all-consuming than others.

Dan
Old 20 July 2005, 08:17 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Sorry, after reading the article again (couldn't believe what I was reading the first time!), this attitude is blood-boiling.

I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago - the day we won the Olympic bid.

It was my daughter's Sports Day. She's five. I took the day off to be there, looking forward to some egg/spoon races, track & field etc.

Oh no. Not the case. We were confronted with a tarpaulin games - running underneath it. A LEGO (!!!!) building activity. A hoop-shooting activity.

When asked about what time the proper sports begin, the teacher replied with some rubbish about "non-competitive participation", and "everybody's a winner".

THIS is the sort of rubbish that's being promoted when we're now an Olympic host.

As a country, we are a JOKE. No wonder we're cr@p at sport.

Dan
Old 20 July 2005, 08:29 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I agree scoobydoo555 - my Daughter also just had her sports day and again, nothing competitive! What a load of tosh.
Old 20 July 2005, 08:41 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There SHOULD be non-competitive games at Sports Day ..... in addition to the 'usual' Old Fashioned races.

Its absolutely RIGHT and proper to 'included' ALL pupils in Sports Day!

We must all remember when only the sporting elite took to the field on sports day, while everyone else had to sit and watch??!! Worse still, be made to run the 400metres when you knew you would come last in front of everyone!

No, I agree that having different competitions is healthy and I will do everything I can to 'include' everyone as a participant in Sports Days!

To the Old Fashioned amongst you - tough

Pete
Old 20 July 2005, 08:46 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

If I "engage a builder to build a 5-foot wall and he only does it 4' 9" I'd sack him and find a builder that could do the job properly in the first place. I'd say this analogy is exactly the problem with this PC bollocks: we'll end up turning out builders that can't do the job to spec because they're to lazy, stupid, poorly educated with a warped sense of right, wrong, success and failure.
Old 20 July 2005, 08:49 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

"If you engage a builder to build a 5-foot wall and he only does it 4' 9", you fetch him back. "You don't demolish it and make him start all over again - he simply lays another course of bricks to 'top it up'.

Yeah - but if the **** builds a wall and the ****** falls on your granny and kills her you sue the tw@t and bury your granny.

These to$$ers should lose their jobs - they've clearly failed.

or maybe they've just "deferred" their learning !

I have heard it all now.

Lets face it anyone coming out of school without 20 o levels (or whatever they're called) nowadays must be a total ******* retard.

Edit - NotoriousRev
Old 20 July 2005, 08:51 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

you're absolutely right Pete - it should be all-inclusive. The problem being is the potential discrimination felt by those who are victims of say, their own choice of lifestyle (fat *******)........

Whilst some are running in the "proper" races, it could be percieved as a spectacle to go and watch the other "sports" events...... after all, it's a SPORTS DAY

Besides, I'm a FIRM believer that we should be teaching our young to aim for a goal. If they shoot and miss, keep trying. Call it a play on Darwinism, or competetiveness, but only the strong or clever will survive evolution. If these two groups decide to drag along a few plebs, so be it, but it's natural selection. No more PC/Tree-hugging rubbish. Common sense must prevail at some stage.

Dan
Old 20 July 2005, 08:58 AM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
A stunning bit of news from education land... you just cant fail. Love the guys totally misleading analogy as well.

Round em up, put em in a field and bomb the b@rstards.
Like the Kenny Everet quote mate... showing yer age there!

Dazza
Old 20 July 2005, 11:16 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

At my school, we all were expected to take part in sport and we all had a chance to have a go at the stars, and sometimes even beat them.

A bit of healthy competiton is good for anyone and certainly should not be discouraged at school by the lefty, Roman sandal wearing, nutcrunchers and lentil eaters!

Les
Old 20 July 2005, 11:30 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

It's vengence, because when they were at school they were losers - weren't they pete.

Old 20 July 2005, 11:31 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Liz Beattie, a retired teacher, will call on the association's annual gathering in Buxton, Derbyshire, to "delete the word 'fail' from the educational vocabulary to be replaced with the concept of 'deferred success'".
I suggest Liz Beattie reads 1984 and pays particular attention to "Newspeak"

Each successive edition of the Newspeak Dictionary has fewer words than its predecessor. By removing meaning and nuance from the vocabulary, the government hopes to eradicate seditious and anti-social thinking before it even has the chance to enter a person's mind
This gets my FFS award for the day
Old 20 July 2005, 11:35 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

They just had that Beattie woman on News24. Complete fruit loop, but enjoying being in the spotlight.
Old 20 July 2005, 02:01 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza's-STi
Like the Kenny Everet quote mate... showing yer age there!

Dazza
Oops! Didnt realise I was incriminating myself - but, hang on, that must mean that if you know it too then........
Old 20 July 2005, 04:09 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
you're absolutely right Pete - it should be all-inclusive. The problem being is the potential discrimination felt by those who are victims of say, their own choice of lifestyle (fat *******)........

Whilst some are running in the "proper" races, it could be percieved as a spectacle to go and watch the other "sports" events...... after all, it's a SPORTS DAY

Besides, I'm a FIRM believer that we should be teaching our young to aim for a goal. If they shoot and miss, keep trying. Call it a play on Darwinism, or competetiveness, but only the strong or clever will survive evolution. If these two groups decide to drag along a few plebs, so be it, but it's natural selection. No more PC/Tree-hugging rubbish. Common sense must prevail at some stage.

Dan
Here here
Old 20 July 2005, 07:08 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

its happening in the forces as well...alot of formal courses used to be pass/fail but ive been on a couple recently where personnel who didnt pass were 'deferred'...!!!
Old 20 July 2005, 07:11 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Just seen Wesley Paxton from some teachers organisation on BBC news arguing the case 'for' this change.

What a pillock.
Old 20 July 2005, 07:12 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

If it was to be known as 'deferred success' surely that implies that success will be reached at some point in the future. Surely this will get hopes up that they will eventually succeed but what happens when a person doesn't...which word(s) will be banned then???

Last edited by scoob_babe; 20 July 2005 at 07:12 PM. Reason: 'Deferred success' in spelling!
Old 20 July 2005, 07:38 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

"She argues that repeated failure, such as in exams, can damage pupils' interest in learning."

Surely if a kid is "deferring their success" repeatedly, they have already lost interest in learning? Either that or they aren't exactly very bright and should concentrate on something else.
Old 20 July 2005, 08:09 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

and we wonder why the countrys in shuch a sh*t state...

you cant fail... so they leave school with worthless qualifications...

they dont get the jobs they want, because employers want people who have a basic grasp on what they are doing verbally and mentally... cu 2morrow dosent cut it in the real world...

so they dont get the job they want, (deferred success) have a councillor assigned (to support them) they go to the job centre?? (heretic i know) and are offered many courses and learning groups to ease them back into the work arena....

so when they finaly land that job at mckentuckings they are seriosly pi**ed of at the £5.50 per hour... and leave, expecting us to pick up the bill and support them until ??.

when will someone have the ***** !! to tell them, unless you get off your lazy backsides they wont get the respect and money they want..

wrapping kids in cotton wool and traeting them like babys, sorry adults only fuels the fire.

M
Old 20 July 2005, 08:11 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
All part of the eventual downfall of this country.

Les
Couldn't agree more. This country sucks.
Old 20 July 2005, 09:00 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I've been thinking about this all day. It's basically teaching kids to be mediocre. The bright kids, the skilled kids, the talented kids aren't being pushed enough in case it offends those that can't acheive while the kids that aren't bright, skilled and talented are given false hope to make them feel better. It really does make my blood boil

I always found the academic side of school easy but was always hopeless at pretty much every sport or anything practical. Did it make me feel like a failure? No, it just gave me motivation to try and improve. I'd rather try and be good at something worthwhile and fail than try to be mediocre at something designed to be unfailable.
Old 20 July 2005, 10:30 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

work this one out then...

traffic lights

red = stop

amber = get ready to go

green = go

now my niece recieved a letter last week with her behavior report and school behavior policy...

they now categorise incedants and send out a report

she had some greens ambers and one red...

so i had a look at the enclosed guide..

green

using mobile phone in class
swearing under breath (wtf)!!!
rudeness

amber
rude to teacher
timekeeping
continued use of mp in class

red
physical abuse
swearing at teacher
refusing to follow direct order from teacher

what a load of bollox..

what does this teach them..

swearing is ok as long as its under your breath???

using a phone in class is ok

have i missed something,,, since when was swearing ok??

ok as adults its our call, but these are minors...

and to really confuse the issue

my mum and her mum were invited to scholl today so she could recieve a pupils awrd for so many merits gained..

confusing or what!!

and they wonder why the system is failing

M
Old 20 July 2005, 10:44 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Red face

Originally Posted by mart360
green

using mobile phone in class
swearing under breath (wtf)!!!
rudeness

amber
rude to teacher
timekeeping
continued use of mp in class

red
physical abuse
swearing at teacher
refusing to follow direct order from teacher
M

You have got to be kidding !!!!

What part of the country is this in ????

In my day - swearing in the playground got you a ruler over the knuckles.
Did me no fukcing harm...
Old 21 July 2005, 12:17 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
You have got to be kidding !!!!

What part of the country is this in ????

In my day - swearing in the playground got you a ruler over the knuckles.
Did me no fukcing harm...

unfortunatly i,m not kidding..

and i can remember getting the slipper for swearing under my breath!

M
Old 21 July 2005, 12:40 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

But hang on a sec! I thought thats what happens until GCSEs anyway!Everyone gets promoted in UKWhen I was a teacher in India,I failed lotsa 4 year olds if they couldnt count uptil 100!
Old 21 July 2005, 07:05 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Wink

You're just inhumane and cruel
Old 21 July 2005, 08:26 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by scoob_babe
If it was to be known as 'deferred success' surely that implies that success will be reached at some point in the future. Surely this will get hopes up that they will eventually succeed but what happens when a person doesn't...which word(s) will be banned then???
The words "You haven't got the job you useless ****" will be outlawed by NL and every employer will be forced to employ 20 useless ****s for every 21 employees.

That way we'll be able to compete with the other world economies - NOT !!