Any runners out there?

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2005, 05:43 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any runners out there?

Are there any runners in here?

I've just started running again, and my stomach muscles 'throb' for a day or so afterwards. Is this because the stomach muscles are getting used to running again after 2 years out?

I am not running to excess, 3 miles on Monday, and 3 miles on Friday (sometimes) and I can cope with it and I am not out of breath, and my body doesn‘t ache, but the following day, my stomach and ribs feel like I have been punched, tender to the touch, slightly inflamed etc. However, 2 days later they are fine again.

Is it usual or is a doctors trip needed

Darren
Old 19 July 2005, 05:47 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Sorry can't help my body wasn't made for running. 3 miles, sheeks thats why cars were invented
Old 19 July 2005, 05:49 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Matt,

You can't beat a good run to release the stresses of day to day life

An Ipod in my pocket and I'm good to go

Darren
Old 19 July 2005, 05:50 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Id presume your not as slim as you could be..?
Old 19 July 2005, 05:54 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Thats a big assumption Only joaking

I'm in my ideal weight range for my age height, a standard BMI rating and in v good health, I don't drink often (3/4 times a month) and try and avoid fatty foods (but I do love curry )

Darren
Old 19 July 2005, 05:56 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I walked round to the shop once, but nothing much hurt afterwards so i'd guess you've got a pretty serious problem. For long distance trips, such as those you are undertaking, most people on this forum will be taking the car if they can afford the petrol so i'd guess you need to ask the question somewhere else. Have you tried a car? I'm sure you will find it will offer a reasonable solution and you'll certainly not get sore ribs.
Old 19 July 2005, 06:16 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darlodge
Thats a big assumption Only joaking

I'm in my ideal weight range for my age height, a standard BMI rating and in v good health, I don't drink often (3/4 times a month) and try and avoid fatty foods (but I do love curry )

Darren
Yup, there lies your problem. You need to be slightly overweight (but not obese), healthy, or have nothing that a good fry up won't cure and drink 3/4 times a week, preferably with at least one time not remembering what time you got home.

oh and cut the running out!
Old 19 July 2005, 06:19 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I've got it sorted. Any chance you've got a failed MAF and are getting det? Have you a knocklink fitted? It could be your big end is about to fall off and you don't want that.
Old 19 July 2005, 06:29 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

lmao
Old 19 July 2005, 06:38 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

But seriously, does the stomach pain accompany anything (the ****s for example), are you taking on pleny of fluid, warming up and importantly down after exercising, are you running on a full or very empty stomach, are you suffering from a stitch during your run?
Old 19 July 2005, 07:06 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only time I've ever had pains is just from a common stitch in my sides. You don't really use your abdominal muscles when running, but it's your diaghram that works your lungs whilst breathing. That could be unused to the exercise or it could be your stomach bouncing around that's causing it. How is your breathing? It should be very relaxed (even when working hard) and shouldn't be too short. I've found over the years the key to running well is to get the breathing right.

My advice is drink enough fluids and maybe just have a very light snack a few hours before the run. Don't go mental. 500ml and a Banana is plenty for 3-miles. You should be taking in fluids and fuelling during the normal day, so for anything under 60mins I wouldn't take any additional food or drink before hand. You get MUCH more benefit after the run when you need to recover.

You can try some really heavy slow breathing exercise to see if the pain subsides. Slowly inhale as much as you can and then slowly exhale every last bit of air. Do this a few times and it should relex your breathing muscles. You can do this while your jogging or stop and take a minute.

It also helps to develop a strong core, so do sit-ups, dorsal raises, leg lifts, etc.. to tighten up your mid-section and stop things rolling around too much
Old 19 July 2005, 09:28 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

I'm not an expert but at 7am every weekday morning, I do about 3 mile. I would say that your aches are you just getting back used to it. If you are only running Monday and perhaps Friday though, it will take a long time!

I notice a difference after missing it for the weekend........
Old 19 July 2005, 09:31 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately, like any sort of sport you need to do it regular for your body to adjust. I'm just back into running after a 6 week lay off and I had a stitch for the first couple of runs. Luckily I was still keeping fit, so my milage/time is back on track although my pace is far from it

As Taff107 suggests you may need to up the frequency. Maybe drop the milage down to 2-miles but do it 3-4 times per week as see if that helps.
Old 19 July 2005, 10:16 PM
logbrog
Scooby Regular

Like a few people have said, the pain is just because you are getting used tyo running again, make sure that you do proper stretches before and after your runs, hold the strethces for at least a minute each.

After a few weeks you will be back on track, remember pain is a weakness leaving the body!!

Rich
Old 19 July 2005, 10:20 PM
darren...
Scooby Regular

You do exercise some of your stomach (mainly lower) when you run - if you've left off for a while then that's one possible cause - that said - they shouldn't throb.... Sore when you move them maybe but that's all...

HTH
Old 20 July 2005, 12:23 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys,

I never run on a full stomach and I try and leave about 3-4 hours after eating before I go for a run so its usually between 9-11 by the time I leave for a run. I warm up before hand and warm down afterwards, I've always been careful of this as I know the dangers.

Breathing is good, it's not fast and I'm not gasping for air, its slow and regular.

I don't get a stitch whilst running as I don't think I am pushing my self enough, but I am trying not to overwork my body too much in the early stages as its been a while since I last did any proper running.

I do feel that I am still fit, it’s just the stomach muscle's that don't agree.

Ozzy, point taken with the circuits.

Are you all distance runners? Any one ever do any track running? 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1500's for me jack of all trades, master of none

Darren
Old 20 July 2005, 12:57 AM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

sorry cant stop, keep on running
Old 20 July 2005, 01:07 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I'm glad I've kept some of you entertained

Darren
Old 20 July 2005, 09:49 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

100-1500? That IS jack of all trades...
Old 20 July 2005, 09:59 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Ditto what ozzy said - sounds like you are over doing it so drop your distance and speed so that it only hurts in the muscles you are exercising. Then gradually build back up to greater distances.

I would also consider some weight training on your legs: leg press and leg curls.

ozzy - are you back up to 10k daily you loon?
Old 20 July 2005, 10:18 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

LOL I've cut down a bit on the number of days since I've come back from my holiday. Didn't have much choice after a 6 week layoff. I've added some weight sessions and footy to compensate so it'll be back to business as usual after another week or so.

I'm a lightweight compared to some lads I've known in the past. A South African friend competes in the Comrades Ultra-Marathons in SA. He's done them for the last 18 years and would easily put in 3 Marathon-distance runs each week. 10K is a warm-up for some

Darren,

I don't really compete as such. I've done some 10K road races and some middle-distance (up to 1.5hrs) fell races here in Scotland. The hills and distance is what I'm personally into. Distance on the road gets boring after an hour, so I need to get across country to keep me going.

If you want to stick with short distances then you need to work on speed training. Stick with the foundation running to build up your basic cardio fitness before starting to work on any sort of fast running.

Interval and Fartlek training is fantastic at building speed into your runs and a great way of increasing your fitness. Because it's so much hard work you can't do it all the time and for as long. The longer, slower runs are just for general fitness and building up some stamina.

If you want power for sprinting, then work your upper body. Most of the running power comes from the arms and shoulders in sprinters.

Stefan