Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Smoking At Work

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2005, 04:36 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Smoking At Work

Every time I look out of the window or leave/enter the building where I work there always seem to be the same old faces (mainly female I have to add) sat around outside puffing away on ****.

Let's say it typically takes them around 10mins to waddle downstairs have a smoke and then waddle back to their workplace and they do this on average five or six times a day - that's nearly an hour per day less time spent doing anything useful than everyone else.

Average this out over a week and that's almost five hours - more than half a day spent doing sod all. And over a year it comes approximately to 30 days - that's a whole month!!

So my question is - should I be legitimately allowed to take an hour or so off per day in addition to lunch etc just to gaze into space to put me on par with the others? Do you think if I suggested that, it would be approved? I doubt it. So why are these other lazy fvcks allowed to get away with it? It's not really very fair is it??

Old 18 July 2005, 04:39 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Every time I look out of the window or leave/enter the building where I work there always seem to be the same old faces (mainly female I have to add) sat around outside puffing away on ****.

Let's say it typically takes them around 10mins to waddle downstairs have a smoke and then waddle back to their workplace and they do this on average five or six times a day - that's nearly an hour per day less time spent doing anything useful than everyone else.

Average this out over a week and that's almost five hours - more than half a day spent doing sod all. And over a year it comes approximately to 30 days - that's a whole month!!

So my question is - should I be legitimately allowed to take an hour or so off per day in addition to lunch etc just to gaze into space to put me on par with the others? Do you think if I suggested that, it would be approved? I doubt it. So why are these other lazy fvcks allowed to get away with it? It's not really very fair is it??

And how much time do some people spend surfing the net or walking about with a clip board looking important? At the end of the day if people are delivering what they are supposed to be delivering, on time and to budget, does it matter? If they aren't kick their ***.
Old 18 July 2005, 04:44 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Where I work we are only allowed one break in the morning and one in the afternoon, then we have to make the time up Shame the same can't be said for all the others that don't smoke but 'waddle' around the office doing fvck all at any time of the day - chit chatting, shuffling paper without good cause and making personal phone calls/emails/internet surfing all day. See, it's not just the smokers - far from it!
Old 18 July 2005, 04:45 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
And how much time do some people spend surfing the net or walking about with a clip board looking important? At the end of the day if people are delivering what they are supposed to be delivering, on time and to budget, does it matter? If they aren't kick their ***.
To turn that argument on it's head, if I could still deliver 'on time and to budget' having been awarded an extra 30 days holiday as a non work place smoker then would that be a fair way to redress the balance?
Old 18 July 2005, 04:47 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

They can't help it they're drug addicts.
Old 18 July 2005, 04:49 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Have to be honest I can see both sides to this argument, especially as I'm a non smoker, it used to really wind me up seeing all these people taking frequent breaks for a cig.
But as has been mentioned I probably spend that time on the web so dont feel all that bothered about it now, But I can see how it can really wind some people up. If feeling nasty try and set them up so an important call etc is missed as they whwre oput having a cig, tends to motivate those up abaove to do something about persistant cig offenders

Richard
Old 18 July 2005, 04:54 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

And what about those that practise religious prayer during their working day? Or those that are constantly late, or leave early or enjoy extended lunch breaks. There can't be one person who works the whole 7 or 8 hours each day without skiving off somewhere along the line.

Old 18 July 2005, 04:56 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

It is a interesting point. No doubt if we left early, as we'd not take any smoke breaks during the day, there would be total uproar and people would whinge.

Even if the job is getting done, it is still not really fair on the non-smokers, as it's not as if we can take a "non-smoke break" (hmm, there's an idea )

I've got a friend who is very anti-smoking, and their viewpoint is that smokers should not be allowed smoke breaks. Smoking is a personal choice, you are not forced to smoke (unless you've been set on fire ) and thus why should an employer make allowances for a personal choice you have? Suffice to say, they are not loved by their employee's, but there's not a lot they can do.
Old 18 July 2005, 04:56 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Thats one of the things being in IT, we are our own bosses. I have rolled in at 10.30 am and gone to lunch at 12 HOWEVER I have come in before and ended up leaving at 3 am without being paid for it.
Old 18 July 2005, 04:58 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
To turn that argument on it's head, if I could still deliver 'on time and to budget' having been awarded an extra 30 days holiday as a non work place smoker then would that be a fair way to redress the balance?
If you are claiming you don't spend a minute of your day, bar defined breaks doing anything other than working, then put your case to your manager, and apply to the Guiness book of records while you are at it.

Nobody is 100% productive all the time, it is down to their line manager to decide if their actions are affecting their work and take the appropriate action if it is.
Old 18 July 2005, 05:02 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

But it does seem to be a similar crowd outside all buildings, a couple of very overweight women, a nerdy type with glasses wearing a fake leather "Jeremy Clarkson" style jacket (from the accounts dept) and a few other motley types, not forgetting the wideboy in his suit with a phone pressed up to his ear the whole time.
Old 18 July 2005, 05:11 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I know a woman who goes to the loo every hour for around 10 minutes. Surely she should make up that time when I only go once a day?

In our building we have non-smokers who nip out with the smokers... just for a break - funny thing is the smoker has to make up that time but the non-smoker doesn't! Work that out LOL.

Some people are never happy - always worried someone else is getting that little bit more. But hey, don't worry, we shall all be dead from cancer and you will be skipping amongst our daisies that bloomed from our grave
Old 18 July 2005, 05:19 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's quite legal to take a five minute break from a monitor for each hour you spend sitting in front of it.
Old 18 July 2005, 05:20 PM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

Why not smoke AND waste time trawling the net. It's fantastic and I get paid for it.
Old 18 July 2005, 05:27 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevencotton
It's quite legal to take a five minute break from a monitor for each hour you spend sitting in front of it.
Yes, but only a break from the monitor - ie, you should do something else work related that doesn't require a monitor LOL
Old 18 July 2005, 05:30 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

We are a small company and had a group of 4 people having 6 *** breaks in the morning and 6 in the afternoon.

******* Pi** taking wnakers in my view.
Old 18 July 2005, 05:34 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Soulgirl
Yes, but only a break from the monitor - ie, you should do something else work related that doesn't require a monitor LOL
True, but it depends on the company and indeed job, my job is entirely 100% monitor related
Old 18 July 2005, 05:34 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Yes Milamber, that was rather naughty of them Still, think of the extra tax they pay smoking that much each day
Old 18 July 2005, 05:36 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Or, think how much more they can smoke while on suspension.......
Old 18 July 2005, 05:45 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I take a smoke break even though I don's smoke - its nice to get out the office for 5 mins...
Old 18 July 2005, 05:54 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Our company is quite lenient - however there was a guy who left about 3 years ago who really did take the p!ss with his smoke 'breaks'. I think he was the only person that was complained about (and that was smokers too!)
Old 18 July 2005, 06:15 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Lol makes me laugh when the smokers reply "what about those who waste time in other ways" as if smokers all work like troopers when they get back to their desks.

I try to take the odd "virtual *** break" but can never keep up with the smokers.

Simon.
Old 18 July 2005, 06:51 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

P1Fanatic - I do work like a trooper and I pay back the time I have for my two *** breaks... I don't take 'virtual' breaks at all You almost suggest that it's ok to skive in any other way but if you smoke you are the worst offender.

No, not all smokers are goodygoodys like me. Trouble is, it's easy to pick on those with a smelly habbit If those who take the mick with their *** breaks didn't smoke, they would still skive off doing something else, like others do!
Old 18 July 2005, 08:04 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

P1Fanatic - I do work like a trooper and I pay back the time I have for my two *** breaks... I don't take 'virtual' breaks at all You almost suggest that it's ok to skive in any other way but if you smoke you are the worst offender.

No, not all smokers are goodygoodys like me. Trouble is, it's easy to pick on those with a smelly habbit If those who take the mick with their *** breaks didn't smoke, they would still skive off doing something else, like others do!
So if your *** breaks are 10 mins each, you stay behind and work those minutes back at the end of the day? Or you mean you work x times harder when you get back? How very noble

I term it virtual *** break as I dont smoke. Are you saying that as I dont smoke Im not entitled to a break?

Im sure "some" smokers do make the time back and do more work than other non smokers. But most I know arent the hardest workers by any stretch of the imagination.

Simon.
Old 18 July 2005, 08:09 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

No, my *** breaks last for 5-7 mins each of which I enjoy two. I start work at 7.30am instead of 8am - not noble... it's fair and just.

The lazy smokers you know aren't lazy because they smoke, it's just because they are lazy. It is nothing more than a coincidence that they smoke and are lazy
Old 18 July 2005, 08:20 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I term it virtual *** break as I dont smoke. Are you saying that as I dont smoke Im not entitled to a break?
No, you're not - unless of course your contract allows paid breaks
Old 18 July 2005, 08:22 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

No, you're not - unless of course your contract allows paid breaks
Yes it does, but even if it didnt that would be the same smoker or non smoker.

Simon.
Old 18 July 2005, 08:27 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Absolutely - I totally agree with you. Any break should be unpaid unless your contract dictates otherwise It's stealing otherwise
Old 18 July 2005, 08:34 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

UB's signature used to be ........"hate the anti this and that pc brigade".
I see he removed it b4 having a go at smokers.
Old 18 July 2005, 09:49 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Red face

No, my *** breaks last for 5-7 mins each of which I enjoy two. I start work at 7.30am instead of 8am - not noble... it's fair and just.
Really ? When I smoked I used to believe that too.
Truth is it takes 5 mins to smoke a tab, add on 5 mins walk to smoking area then 5 mins back to desk.

Next time you go for a smoke why don't you time it - Be honest - It'll be more than 5-7 mins IMHO !

Quick Reply: Smoking At Work