Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Flying to the USA soon..... question

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2005, 09:20 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying to the USA soon..... question

How many hours before the flight do we need to get to the airport, with the security checks etc...

Thanks,
Simon.
Old 13 July 2005, 09:30 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

3 hours last time i went in december
Old 13 July 2005, 09:33 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

3 hours recommended for long haul I believe.

I flew out of Gatwick to Prague last Friday, the day after the bombings, and although there was lots of visible security, queuing and security checks didn't seem to take that much longer than normal.

Gary.
Old 13 July 2005, 10:14 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, will get there at least 3 hours before then!
Old 13 July 2005, 10:54 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
At least 3 hours, although I would say thats more important on the way back than it is on the way out. The security in the US is far more stringent than the UK. On my last return journey I was pulled to one side and interrogated, my boots were taken away for xray all because I kept setting the metal detectors off. At least I knew security was good, had the same boots on on the way out and I just walked straight through security at Heathrow!
Things seem (obviously) to have tightened up this week at Heathrow. I was there earlier in the week and random searches were being carried out at various points pre and post check-in so leave the full 3 hours to get everything sorted if possible.
Old 13 July 2005, 11:03 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I've always gone for 1.5-2 hours.
Old 13 July 2005, 11:14 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went in April, and got to the airport 2 hours before the flight time, and that was plenty, same coming back, don't get too stressed about the checks, it's not that dramatic, just simple stuff..
Old 14 July 2005, 12:08 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

lol....3hrs????? are you going to help prep the plane???

i make sure i get to check in with 1hr to go.....never had a prob flying to JFK from Heathrow like that.

T
Old 14 July 2005, 12:15 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

1.5 - 2 hours is plenty

Loads of security when we landed in Florida

Hand Baggage scanned 3 times on the way out of the airport !!!

Shoes off etc

Getting on the plane to come home ONE SCAN with shoes on

STRANGE
Old 14 July 2005, 01:52 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I flew to India recently, me and two mates got to the airport 4 hours early, checked in ASAP then sat in the pub getting merry, Airports are quite pleasant places to be, shops pubs, food, more pubs.

Enjoy it, I always see it as starting my holiday early without worry of being late.
Old 14 July 2005, 03:19 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

As most airlines overbook flights, it's worth getting there at least 2 hours early to avoid being bumped onto another flight. If you're in the least bit bothered about window/aisle seats etc, it's another reason to get there early.

The security at Gatwick picked up the metal in my Rockport deck shoes. For a horrible moment I thought I was going to get a full orifice search.
Old 14 July 2005, 05:31 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

3 hrs is a bit excessive - I've never turned up that early for a flight anywhere in the world. You might put yourself in with a chance of an upgrade if you get there at that time and smile sweetly at the check-in staff, but other than that I wouldn't bother. From memory, the only carrier that asks you to check in 3 hours or earlier before the flight is due to leave is El Al (Israeli airline), which, for fairly obvious reasons, has the tightest security of just about any airline in the world.
Old 14 July 2005, 09:32 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I'd prepare for the 2 hours queing at US customs once you're off the plane, can be a bit of a sweat if you have an interconnecting flight.
Old 14 July 2005, 09:50 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Last time I went to the US was late November 2001 (a few weeks after the 9/11 attacks).
Flew from Glasgow to Newark (near NY).

Both ways, it was 2 hours as recommended by the airline, and that was plenty of time.

The security flying out of Glasgow was very tight (not quite rubber glove, but not far off!)
The security flying out of Newark was very poor - which I found surprising...

Anyway, check with your airline, but 2 hours should be enough.
Any less than that and you still may be okay, but you'll probably end up with crap seats...
Old 14 July 2005, 10:03 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I have just landed from Atlanta, and I always leave about 1 hour.

Steve
Old 14 July 2005, 10:11 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just back from Alaska (4 connecting flights ) and it was 2hrs check-in for the long haul flight from Glasgow. That was with American Airlines flying to Chicago. It was the same flying with the same airline from Chicago->Seattle. It was only 2hrs when I flew to Australia with Emirates.

If in any doubt, look at your airlines website or phone them. Some airlines even allow you to check-in via their website, so you can pre-pick your seats. Then it's just a quick process to dump your bags, pick up your boarding pass and wander through security.

I mean, it took me 20mins tops to check-in, clear security and get to the gate. Why the **** the demand 2-3hrs is beyond me. You spend longer waiting around the airports these days than you do actually flying in the air.

Like some others I give it an 1hr or 1.5 if I'm paranoid about finding my away around an airport I've never been too.

Stefan

P.S. Don't blame me if your late though
Old 14 July 2005, 10:20 AM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

*NOTE*

On the return flight US customs may require you to leave your case UNLOCKED

If they xray your case and its locked they will smash the lock to get in. It's happend to me the last two years flying back via LAX.

Took an extra strap with me last time as my case used latches rather than zips.
Old 14 July 2005, 10:25 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

just rang american airlines and they've said 2 hours, but as we have 2 children we'll get there early to make sure we're seated together(ish) without too much agro.

mind you, thinking about it, sod that. I'll go at the opposite end of the plane from the wife and kids

thanks again guys.
Old 14 July 2005, 10:26 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb US Immigration

Be prepared for a wait at immigration these days. They are having a lot more of their 100% turn out checks becasue of obvious reasons but haven't eactly got a lot more staff in to cover these.

Couple of tips; 1. Always have the cabin crew check your immigration forms before you leave the plane as the people on these desks have absolutely no tolerance for errors whatosever. If there is anything wrong with your form they just tear it up and make you complete another from scratch and queue up again. 2. Try to join a queue that has as many UK and European "looking" people in it as these do move faster.

Note: last time I was there they did tear up my green form and treated me with contempt. I filled out another and went back to the same queue to see the same guy in his little box. Smiled when he stamped the necessary papers and said "have a nice day, ******" to him. He smiled and said "enjoy your stay" made me laugh, anyway.

Yex

ps: I agree with getting to an airport as early as you feel comfortable with. Most are good places to be these days with plenty of shops and bars to relax in whilst watching the late commers panicking to get on their flights.