Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2005, 08:14 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A question for any Police Officers

Evenin' All (sorry )

I've got a question for you.

Let's say you're pulling over people for speeding. Are you required to, or do you, once you have found they are speeding, step into the road, hand held aloft to stop the oncoming car?

Similar situation, but this time you are parked up on the central reservation of the motorway, again are you required to, or do you, once you have found they are speeding, step into the "fast" lane, hand held aloft to stop the oncoming car?

Why do I ask? Well, both of the above seem to be common practices over here in Canada, and to be blunt, I think it's a tad stupid, if not reckless endangerment of your life! What happens if the chappy you are stopping has dodgy brakes? not nice!
Old 13 July 2005, 08:58 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I remember reading in the Toronto Star that the OPP practice this lunacy. Even though at least one serious accident was caused by doing it.
Old 13 July 2005, 10:59 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

how could you sit in the central reservation? There's crash barriers preventing this???
Old 13 July 2005, 11:43 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

sorry to tresspass but i have a question

uk officers please

i remember once when i got stopped,
he got out of his patrol car, walked over to my car told me to come out and get in their patrol car,
once in (speeding) they say to me , do you know why we stop you etc. then they say we are not arresting you, you may leave anytime, and then takes notes etc.

now what would have happened if i actually left?
Old 14 July 2005, 01:58 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattN
how could you sit in the central reservation? There's crash barriers preventing this???
Many highways here have a hard shoulder on both sides of the lanes - one next to the slow lane, and one next to the fast lane. When there are 6 lanes to get across if your engine dies, this can be rather a good thing. Many exit entry roads also leave/enter the fast lane. Also, there is often a median between the 2 directions of traffic - a huge area of grass.

These piccies should show what I mean:

Last edited by Jerome; 14 July 2005 at 02:01 AM.
Old 14 July 2005, 08:28 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wwp8
You would have been arrested either under PACE or for obstruction or even on suspicion of theft of the motor vehicle.

TONY
Old 14 July 2005, 09:33 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wwp8
sorry to tresspass but i have a question

uk officers please

i remember once when i got stopped,
he got out of his patrol car, walked over to my car told me to come out and get in their patrol car,
once in (speeding) they say to me , do you know why we stop you etc. then they say we are not arresting you, you may leave anytime, and then takes notes etc.

Everyone has a right to be interviewed over an alleged offence. If you are arrested (criminal offence) then obviuosly you are not going anywhere. If you are not under arrest (speeding) then we can't prevent you from leaving; however we do have the right to obtain you details (name, address etc). If you do leave then the police's evidence will be taken without contest as you have declined your opportunity for an interview.
Old 14 July 2005, 10:53 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.
Everyone has a right to be interviewed over an alleged offence. If you are arrested (criminal offence) then obviuosly you are not going anywhere. If you are not under arrest (speeding) then we can't prevent you from leaving; however we do have the right to obtain you details (name, address etc). If you do leave then the police's evidence will be taken without contest as you have declined your opportunity for an interview.
So, if you know you were speeding and you're prepared for the three points and £60 fine you might as well bugg*r off and spare yourself the condescending, belittling and patronising lecture about how you're going to wipe out a family of four in a people carrier by doing 75 on the M1.

Fair doos

Kidding btw
Old 14 July 2005, 03:26 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I suppose so...................So long as you give your details when asked and admit that you were speeding.