Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Chief Constable wants to go on Jackass it seems !

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2005, 09:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chief Constable wants to go on Jackass it seems !

Michael Todd the chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police (my boss) volunteered to be 'tasered', I think its quite a cool publicity stunt and he is obviously a brave man but probably a little bit mad, what's next a facefull of CS gas, baton to the head, perhaps a few rounds from a sub machine gun or even an Alsatian to the knackers !

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770
Old 04 July 2005, 09:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

TBH, I think any officer issued with a tazar should be tazered themselves. So they know what pain and stunning capabilities they have, and to ensure they don't become overzealous with their usage

Problem is I heard they don't work to well on some agressive drunks as the alcohol just numbs it. So they just get back up and carry on

....There is an amusing mpeg floating about the net of a US policeman tazering a drunk...he just keeps getting back up...again and again and again Also one of a tazered Bull which was not too happy either
Old 04 July 2005, 09:34 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea that anyone being issued with a Tazer should feel its effects before going out on duty. Seems like a good idea to me.
Old 04 July 2005, 09:44 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

The look on the face of the bloke that just shot him is a peach. Pretty sure my expression would be similar if I got to shoot the big cheese.
Old 04 July 2005, 10:26 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Knowing the sergeant who tasered Mr. Todd i have no doubt he enjoyed it somewhat, I know all the lads and ladies in the crew room watching certainly did!!!!

Just to clear up a point made on this thread the point of Taser is instand incapacitation with no lasting effects. No-one has ever withstood a taser blast, drunk or not, after 5 seconds though the charge is switched off and the recipient can and will be able to get to his/her feet immediately, therefore a drunk may well get up again after being hit with taser and continue towards you, it just means you pull the trigger again for another 5 secs!!!
Old 04 July 2005, 11:13 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

LOL - when did anyone suggest any policeman carrying a truncheon should be smacked over the head...or an armed officer should be shot ..."so they know what it feels like".

Some odd things come out on S'net.
Old 05 July 2005, 12:31 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris5-0
.....Just to clear up a point made on this thread the point of Taser is instand incapacitation with no lasting effects.....
This isnt so Chris and a short while researching on Google will prove this to you if youre interested.

Whilst I certainly dont want to see Police offiers injured or worse in the course of their duty Im concerned that this kit will be issued to all, rather like CS spray, and that many (in my opinion) of the officers to whom its issued can't be trusted to use it correctly.

Not so long ago an ignorant, arrogant f*ckwit Constable attempted to spray a friend of mine with CS gas in his own house, when he refused to comply with the fool's unlawful demand. Had this idiot's partner not intervened when he saw what was happening, he'd have assaulted the man using his CS gas spray..... Had he had access to a 'Taser' then who knows where it might have ended.....

Simon
Old 05 July 2005, 06:56 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

"LOL - when did anyone suggest any policeman carrying a truncheon should be smacked over the head...or an armed officer should be shot ..."so they know what it feels like".

Some odd things come out on S'net."

Its called Irony !
Old 05 July 2005, 08:55 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
This isnt so Chris and a short while researching on Google will prove this to you if youre interested.
The dart and wire type as used by the UK police is very effective, there are a lot of variations in the USA where you have to hold a gun against somebody. This kind of thing has to get through the resistance of the skin and also is at risk of being "swatted" away. These types are not effective and are more likely to pi$$ the person off. Police forces get issued the decent stuff.

Whilst I certainly dont want to see Police offiers injured or worse in the course of their duty Im concerned that this kit will be issued to all, rather like CS spray, and that many (in my opinion) of the officers to whom its issued can't be trusted to use it correctly.

Not so long ago an ignorant, arrogant f*ckwit Constable attempted to spray a friend of mine with CS gas in his own house, when he refused to comply with the fool's unlawful demand. Had this idiot's partner not intervened when he saw what was happening, he'd have assaulted the man using his CS gas spray..... Had he had access to a 'Taser' then who knows where it might have ended.....

Simon
That's a training issue IMO and in every job you get your share of idiots. Besides CS is no big deal, your eyes will water and your skin will sting for a while but other than that it's not much worse than peeling onions. The bigger issue for the police is that (I think it's about 1 in 50) some people are not affected by it. I've been in the gas (confidence ) chamber for NBC training many times and you quite often get one bod who can stand there quite happily with no respirator on and suffer not effect.
Old 05 July 2005, 11:15 AM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
I've been in the gas (confidence ) chamber for NBC training many times and you quite often get one bod who can stand there quite happily with no respirator on and suffer not effect.
not me! i hit the floor and turn into a gibbering snot monster. it has a very powerful effect on me!
Old 05 July 2005, 11:27 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stormyuklondon1
not me! i hit the floor and turn into a gibbering snot monster. it has a very powerful effect on me!
You poor sod, for me it's about the same as a bad hay fever day.
Old 05 July 2005, 12:08 PM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
You poor sod, for me it's about the same as a bad hay fever day.
yea, its one of my tactical options that stays firmly in its holder, if i got cross contaminated id be no use to man or beast
Old 05 July 2005, 12:22 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8

Simon

GC8. I', very interested as i carry one every working day! As mentioned we carry a different kind of kit than the americans with the issues you mention having been ironed out. At the end of the day its like any piece of kit we have, it could malfunction, we could miss, human error might mean you get the wrong person! It's such a fluid incident when one of these is deployed that you rely solely on your training to get you through, which in England is second to none as not all officers carry it and the training can be more thorough whereas in America i believe it's pretty much one between two officers nd obviously training time suffer.
As for CS i'm with most on here, its never left its holder never would, in my opinion you'd be best served using your hands fooooher things if you get a situation requiring force!
Old 05 July 2005, 12:52 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Is there the potential to kill people using this? One of those spikes into the back of the head!!
Old 05 July 2005, 12:56 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

That's not a tazer in the pictures - It's a Scalextric controller

Joolz
Old 05 July 2005, 12:58 PM
WRXPete
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
TBH, I think any officer issued with a tazar should be tazered themselves. So they know what pain and stunning capabilities they have, and to ensure they don't become overzealous with their usage
I agree....i had to be CS'd as part of my training and it does give you an appreciation for the power you yield in that little can, i was floored for ten minutes, couldn't open my eyes at all....did wonders for my sinus problem too

J4CKO, didn't you have to get CS'd at training school??

As for reading the other posts i've gotta to say that it does tend to stay in it's holder..although it saved me big style one time, so i'm not afraid to use it again.

Sounds bizarre but my understanding is that the taser comes lower down on the use of force scale than CS and the baton....it's gonna be preferred as well since it's effective over a greater distance....when you've got some knife wielding tosser high on drugs, you need a little bit of distance between you both....i think it's going to be a great addition, i'd certainly draw it before CS....but i think it will be more open to abuse too, no doubt the small minority will continue to give police a bad name by going too far....i can see a few pigeons and squirrels getting fried too!!

Last edited by WRXPete; 05 July 2005 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05 July 2005, 01:02 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

You can't be killed by a barb, they literallly attach to the skin, they don't go burying themselves in. In fact it doesn't have to touch the skin, our tasers will go through a good 2 inch of clothing to deliver the charge.

As for CS'in us, been there done it, don't like it!! The standard stuff doesn't really affect me all that much, just a tickle in the throat but the pellets and CS fired from a shotgun drop me on my **** like a stone!!

And no thanks i don't need Tasering to appreciate is use thank you very much, i've seen it work first hand!!!
Old 05 July 2005, 01:22 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

And we trust the police hmmm. I for sure dont. I have no respect for them any more. They are more corrupt than the villans and before anyone starts, even my relatives (including court officials and JPs) say the same.

I cant wait to see the first lawsuit for police agression using one of these. Mind you we all know how the police cover it up with the old boys network.
Old 05 July 2005, 01:28 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

can we all have a go at shooting him? lmao
Old 05 July 2005, 03:00 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dsmith
LOL - when did anyone suggest any policeman carrying a truncheon should be smacked over the head...or an armed officer should be shot ..."so they know what it feels like".

Some odd things come out on S'net.
Was waiting for that comment.....

Getting shot is a little extreme as it is actually meant to kill you...
And we all know what getting hit over the head feels like....
Old 05 July 2005, 05:46 PM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stueyb
And we trust the police hmmm. I for sure dont. I have no respect for them any more. They are more corrupt than the villans and before anyone starts, even my relatives (including court officials and JPs) say the same.
well theyre not more corrupt than the villians and before you reply, even my relatives (including a car mechanic, painter and decorator and a bank manager) say the same.
Old 05 July 2005, 06:26 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Stormy,

YAWN!! Heard it all before, we're all bent and corrupt! We all want to use this on honest law abiding citizens. Not even gonna bother telling you about post incident procedure, suspension on use, possible criminal proceedings, possible jail term for doing my job. Yeah all i want to do is shoot someone.

Get a life.
Old 05 July 2005, 09:25 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

'J4CKO, didn't you have to get CS'd at training school??'

Flippin eck, that would be one hell of an Oracle course that ends up in getting CS in the mush,the worst you get if you dont know your redo from your rollback is a bit of sarcasm, though I work for Mr Todd I am not a Police Officer, I am an Oracle DBA, I look after Databases, a Tazer may be useful for keeping trainees in line though !

Last edited by J4CKO; 05 July 2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05 July 2005, 09:28 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris5-0
Stormy,

YAWN!! Heard it all before, we're all bent and corrupt! We all want to use this on honest law abiding citizens. Not even gonna bother telling you about post incident procedure, suspension on use, possible criminal proceedings, possible jail term for doing my job. Yeah all i want to do is shoot someone.

Get a life.
I might be mistaken Chris; but I think that 'Stormy' was sticking up for you.....'Stuey' on the other hand; said that youre bent and your lass is ugly 'cos his mate said' !

Simon
Old 05 July 2005, 10:04 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Should have shot him in the lower regions,now that would be worth seeing!!!!!!!!!
Old 06 July 2005, 11:56 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
I might be mistaken Chris; but I think that 'Stormy' was sticking up for you.....'Stuey' on the other hand; said that youre bent and your lass is ugly 'cos his mate said' !

Simon

D'oh!!!!!!!!!

Well spotted that man, sorry Stormy!!!
Old 07 July 2005, 06:44 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Good job you didnt 'Taser' him Chris!