Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

PUBS...

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2005, 03:23 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PUBS...

Anyone reccomend pubs to have meals and a nice general atmosphere..Area dont matter..

Equally ones to avoid..

I will nominate one to avoid...Navigation Inn..Buxworth,Derbyshire..
Drove 25 miles to get there,waited 25 mins to get served,then just walked out after being ignored...Definately a "local" pub for "local"people.!!!
In the CAMRA guide too!!!!

Reccomend...Church Inn..Uppermill..Brilliant food at cheapish money,Good beer inc homebrew..Staff are excellent,and surroundings are beautiful..

Reccomend...Lamb Inn..Chinley...Quality food,15th century coarch house..." meals with starters and wine..£35..excellent!!
Old 03 July 2005, 03:28 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Area dont matter..
You certain about that, as i can recommend a few ?

Old 03 July 2005, 03:30 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

No area dont matter,as im all over the country...plus the fact..there is probably more people on her in YOUR area that would use the reccomendation..

Kapisch????
Old 03 July 2005, 03:33 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

If you are ever in Ripon North Yorkshire I would recommend the Water Rat, on Bondgate Green just off Boroughbridge Road. Food is excellent so is the staff and the prices are excellent too, nice surroundings as its right next to the river.
Old 03 July 2005, 03:36 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

as im all over the country
which one ?
Old 03 July 2005, 03:42 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

You have gotta be the local pub comedian..

You know...every pub has one..The guy at the bar who THINKS he's funny..

Last edited by fatscoobyfella; 03 July 2005 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03 July 2005, 03:47 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

You have gotta be the local pub comedian..
so.....does that mean you don't want a recommendation for my local

In all honesty I think you'll find many more recommendations for good pubs down South (especially if you are fond of the old beard wearing CAMRA type of establishment)

Up here most pubs are tied and forced to sell Tennents, McEwans or Bellhaven pish.

It used to be a marathon hunt in my younger years for me and mates to find any real ale, things improving now with moost pubs having one 'decent' guest ale on, but that's about it.

PS Chill
Old 03 July 2005, 03:51 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Hey, fatscoobyfella, I live in Little Hayfield (near the lamb) definitely recommend The Royal Hotel in Hayfield, has won a lot of awards and acclaim recently.

The Lamb is definitely always worth a look in, others in the area that I really really recommend are :

The Beehive (Combs) - near to Chapel-en-le-Frith (awesome)

The Walnut Club - Hathersage, head chef is from Jean-Christophe Novelli's place in Mayfair http://www.thewalnutclub.com/

The Lantern Pike Inn (Little Hayfield) - My local, very well run. http://www.lanternpikeinn.co.uk/

Scotsmans Pack - Hathersage, amazing food

The Skillet - Hayfield, top top nosh, we always go there for special occasions.

As for the Navvy in Buxworth, used to go there with the lads every Sunday, but the landlord was a class A *****, so we stopped going. they are a bunch of tools there.

Last edited by CooperS; 03 July 2005 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03 July 2005, 03:52 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Red Lion, Burnsall. Glorious location right next to the River Aire, beautiful olde worlde pub (not sure of age, but bloody old) with good beer, an excellent wine selection and absolutely stunning food from the local area (lots of grouse, pheasant, trout etc). The roads to/from are rather entertaining too

Just up the road in Grassington there's also the Devonshire Hotel. Sat in the market square of this beautiful old Dales village it has a superb evening menu (Devonshire Lamb ) and a good cut price lunch/early evening choice.

If you're in Leeds, you could visit The Bankhouse on the outskirts of Pudsey. Enjoying open views over the Tong Valley it's not like being in the city at all, more like the Dales. If you have time it's a 10 minute walk over the valley to the Greyhound in Tong which is just as nice with its cricket pitch and village setting.
Old 03 July 2005, 04:00 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Seeing as though you like the Church in Uppermill, you will probably also like The Old Original (Lydgate). It's got really good food and a good atmosphere, the landlord Tom takes it personally so everything is always tiptop. Everyone who goes always goes back for more. Its right at the top of a hill and the views are outstanding.

Also round the same way are a few of my other haunts, The Farrars Arms (Grasscroft, good for drinking) The White Hart (Grasscroft, expensive but very very good) and The Ram Inn (Cliviger near Burnley, really nice food great setting).
Old 03 July 2005, 04:10 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Stockton Inn Pub York - Very busy though for sunday roast

Tanglewood A64 between York & Scarborough

Wentworth Arms Malton - fairly small
Old 03 July 2005, 05:12 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Been in the old original...really nice...and brill food...
And the Farrers..used to booze in there every Friday as my mate used to live just round the corner..
Lantern pike..passed there on the way to Navvy..Looked nice but busy last night,parking seemed tight too..
Will defo try the beehive in Coombs..Where is that then in relation to Chapel..i know there area a bit,but never heard of Coombs.

cheers

Last edited by fatscoobyfella; 03 July 2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03 July 2005, 05:23 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

John Millington in cheadle hulme manchester is a nice place, good tucker, very popular.
The oddfellows in Mellor, does tremendous seafood..http://www.specialplacestostay.com/s...FileID=pub2617

The swettenham arms in cheshire is spot on, bit pricey though, but worth it http://www.swettenhamarms.co.uk/
Old 03 July 2005, 05:28 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Ah I was in the pike last night hehehe

The road to the beehive is on the main road between chapel and whaley bridge. just before the hanging gate there is a turning, just follow it down there for a mile or so. you won't be disappointed mate, guarantee it!
Old 03 July 2005, 06:56 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Good man..pretty sure i know the road you mean..Will give it a whizz..

Chips...been in the Oddy's a few times,Royal Scot,Midland to name a few..The Moorfield arms used to be nice..someone said it went off the boil tho..Is the Little Mill still going?

Oh...just to mention The Boot inn in Lapworth..really nice food,bit expensive,but lovely..Ale and beer garden is top hole too..
Old 03 July 2005, 07:19 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Little mill in rowath?....as far as I know, but someone told me recently they had been and it was ****e!
Old 03 July 2005, 07:25 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

My mum used to work at the Moorfield, had a fire not long back so don't know what it's like now, The Little Mill in Rowarth is still going, but full of teeny boppers, I stay well clear, was good when I was 15 but ****e these days.
Old 03 July 2005, 07:45 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

I heard the little mill had gone "funny" after the landlord parted company a few years back..Suprised it full of teeny boppers tho..Kids dont like a walk do they and its in the middle of nowhere really..

while were around that area..Woodheys..is that still going?Went there about 10 yrs ago,and it was really nice i gotta say..of course..it may have changed..

Oh..remember the Hare and Hounds on Werneth Low?? I remember when that was nice..went about 18 months ago...Chav city..just walked in and turned round and left!! lol...
Old 03 July 2005, 07:57 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Hare and Hounds, this is weird, they've literally JUST been taken over 2 weeks ago (My bro lives at Gee Cross) and we went there for a meal, was absolutely amazing, the landlord was a top bloke, the food took a while because they'd not got anything sorted properly so he gave everyone that was waiting a free round, no chavs at all.

Yeah I swear, The Little Mill is full of chavs/underagers, they meet up in the car park in their gaynovas etc, we used to walk a mile or so to drink underage, don't think it matters if you can get served underage hehehe

Last edited by CooperS; 03 July 2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03 July 2005, 09:03 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
John Millington in cheadle hulme manchester is a nice place, good tucker, very popular.
The oddfellows in Mellor, does tremendous seafood..http://www.specialplacestostay.com/s...FileID=pub2617

The swettenham arms in cheshire is spot on, bit pricey though, but worth it http://www.swettenhamarms.co.uk/
Where is the John Millington then ?

I used to live in Cheadle Hulme many years back and occasionally pop back to see friends & Family, a good pub would be a bonus.
Old 03 July 2005, 09:09 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

its what used to be the millington hall restaurant, inbetween the cop shop and the train station.
Old 03 July 2005, 09:14 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

The Hare & Hounds is nice, been there recently and it was good.
Old 03 July 2005, 09:18 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

I will stand corrected...Will have to give it a try again..Was proper poor when i went....