Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do the Welsh still want to torch our properties

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2005, 05:04 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Do the Welsh still want to torch our properties

Just spent a fantastic week in Pembrokeshire (obviously the weather helped) and as usual the missus was "let's move down here", see Devon 04, cornwall 03, Scotland 02 or plain old Oz anytime.

I found most people very nice and polite and even on the roads it was a pleasant suprise, well behaved drivers although no one thanked you for letting them out etc, miserable gits .

So on the whole what is the Welsh attitude to the English these days, OK i know Pembrokeshire is a long way from the 80's cottage burning scene

I was told by my welsh colleague that that was all a big joke, there was a valley that was flooded, properly flooded chinese stylee, so they weren't happy about it so they torched some cottages and said use the water you flooded our valley with to put it out, great story, true??

I'm by no means set on the idea but property prices and the area are very appealing, oh and its not London!!
Old 28 June 2005, 06:31 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pembrokeshire is known as Little England beyond Wales ....... and fine as that goes.

Its the Northern Welsh that will burn you at the stake!!

Pete
Old 28 June 2005, 06:33 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ve lived in pembrokeshire all my life its a great place to live,most of the holiday home fires were in north/midwales england and pembrokeshire has always had english ties its known as "the little england beyond wales".
i think moving here is no different to moving anywhere else if you act like an arsehole people wont like you very much,if youre friendly,treat people with some respect and become an active member of the community then youll be welcomed.
as for people not waving when you let them out im very suprised about that as i always notice that people never acknowledge you when you drive around in more urban areas.
Old 28 June 2005, 07:19 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

I once drove to Tenby in my old Cortina Mk4. When I got there I was having a terrible time trying to select any gears. I pulled up outside my destination and popped the bonnet. After a good look I found that there was only one bolt left holding the bellhousing to the engine (not to mention the starter motor) and that was half out!

An old Welsh guy crossed over the road and took a look with me, chatting away. He disappeared again and came back with some tools and then shot off in his car to reappear twenty mins later with a full set of gearbox bolts.

He helped me get it all back together and refused payment of any kind - even to cover the cost of the bolts.

Top people.
Old 28 June 2005, 08:12 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Yeah ,were really nice friendly people here in Wales

Chip
Old 28 June 2005, 08:27 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

Not too sure about the flooded valley story... sounds like Lake Vyrnwy, flooded to slake the scousers' thirst... but that was 19th century. Bit long to harbour a specific grudge. The Meibion Glyndwr, the chaps who make a name for themselves doing that sort of thing, had/ve a more diffuse grudge against the english.

Without wishing to go into it all, Welsh nationalism is about a lot more than a Liverpool landowner flooding people out 120 years ago. Language, but (I think) more about wealth and power these days.
Old 28 June 2005, 09:37 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

South Wales is friendly, just make sure you have private health cover - you think the NHS in England is bad.....

Trending Topics

Old 28 June 2005, 10:13 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

once youve paid your £4.80 you can stay as long as you like
not bad value really
Old 28 June 2005, 10:56 PM
topdog
Scooby Regular

The rise in Welsh property prices is being starkly illustrated at a north Wales resort where a beach hut is on the market for £28,000.

The wooden shed with a corrugated iron roof is being sold by estate agents Beresford Adams who last year sold a similar hut for £20,000.

With no running water or electricity, the huts at the popular holiday destination of Abersoch on the Llyn Peninsula are in great demand.

Measuring 8ft by 8ft and in need of some repair, the blue-painted hut is valued at £8,000 more than the 12ft by 12ft property which was sold last November.

The huts have been described by property agent Martin Lewthwaite as an ideal location for a family who wanted to sit on the beach and enjoy a summer's day in the picturesque resort.

The price tag for this hut is double the annual wage of the local people

Simon Brooks, Cymuned

However, Simon Brooks from Welsh-language pressure group Cymuned said the situation was a disgrace.

"It gives an indication of what is happening in the property market and shows it is completely out of control.

"If a garden shed is on sale for £28,000, how much would a house in Abersoch cost?

Mr Brooks added that the average salary in the Llyn Peninsula was between £13,000 - £14,000.

"The price tag for this hut is double the annual wage of the local people. It is an astonishing situation," he added.

Marshland

Figures released by the Land Registry last week showed the average price of a house in Wales has jumped by more than 23% in the last year.

Between January and March this year, the price of the average house in Wales was £90,585, compared to £73,276 during the same period in 2002.
Old 28 June 2005, 11:20 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year, prices of Beach Huts in Mudeford, Dorset - always the barometer of beach hut real estate value - peaked at about £160,000.

That, too, is twice the annual income of the local people!

Pete
Old 29 June 2005, 12:20 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MBK
South Wales is friendly, just make sure you have private health cover - you think the NHS in England is bad.....
North Wales is very friendly and beautiful place too
Just beware of speed cameras!
Old 29 June 2005, 12:23 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

and legal aliens.?..........
Old 29 June 2005, 12:44 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Yes, legal gays live in Brighton with seagulls
Old 29 June 2005, 06:43 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by taffyboyo
once youve paid your £4.80 you can stay as long as you like
not bad value really
I noticed all the money ends up in Wales LOL a well positioned toll booth !

And I didnt hear one person say "tidy"
Old 29 June 2005, 10:45 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Same problem in Wales as Cornwall etc - rich southerners buying up 'cheap' houses and leaving them deserted 10 months of the year. Either that or moving in and speaking with funny accents as well as calling their kids by long names and so diluting millenia of indigenous culture and heritage!!!

As far as I know we are out of matches in Wales at the moment, so if you gazump a local family with your loadsa-money, do the decent thinmg and bring some Swan vestas Tidy!

There is more to consider when moving than just the size of the 'property' remember - do YOU like foreigners and funny accents/languages too?

D
Old 29 June 2005, 12:09 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by Diesel
Same problem in Wales as Cornwall etc - rich southerners buying up 'cheap' houses and leaving them deserted 10 months of the year. Either that or moving in and speaking with funny accents as well as calling their kids by long names and so diluting millenia of indigenous culture and heritage!!!

As far as I know we are out of matches in Wales at the moment, so if you gazump a local family with your loadsa-money, do the decent thinmg and bring some Swan vestas Tidy!

There is more to consider when moving than just the size of the 'property' remember - do YOU like foreigners and funny accents/languages too?

D

Diesel our reasons would be for a better way of life and have been for 2 or 3 years, irrespective of which part of the world, we both feel we want to get out of the city, and we're hardly loadsa money far from it.
With regards to foreigners and funny accents, currently living in London, nuff said more than happy to live in a multicultural society, maybe thats the problem with country folk, cant deal with outsiders or foreigners, one good reason not to move to the country, biggots.

I'll bring my Zippo
Old 29 June 2005, 12:16 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

You should be ok down in Pembrokeshire, the South Welsh are ok, even if they do all sound thick .

It's up in mid and north West Wales that all the trouble makers are. Steer clear. They are polite to tourists, but if you move there the mood changes! Pretty much like the Jocks really!

I am Welsh and come from a long line of Welshmen, but I sound English. I get treated with disdain when I go out that way. I don't bother to explain either, they just ******* ignorant stuff 'em!

Anyway, beautiful part of the country, good place to live as long as you don't mind being a fair distance from civilisation.

Geezer
Old 29 June 2005, 01:00 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Yes, legal gays live in Brighton with seagulls
you got me all wrong..:MAD:..

btw ....When i was at school,many years ago, whenever we had a 'put on a welsh accent' competition, even the winner was invariably laughed at for sounding more likely pakistani............does it help Ms sus.?..