Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: What should we do about the EU budget debacle?
Should we generously donate an extra £3000,000,000 to the EU, so everyone like us?
0%
Should we continue to donte a net amount similar to the other rich EU countries ~ £1000,000,000 to the EU?
19.15%
Should we pull out of the EU wrangling and deceit and pay what we want where we want?
80.85%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

EU Budget - do we pay and extra £3 Billion a year - or do we not???

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2005, 09:35 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EU Budget - do we pay an extra £3 Billion a year - or do we not???

I don't understand this...
Most of the richer countries including us pay in about £1 Billion more than they take out...
Now everybody (not surprisingly ) thinks it is a good idea for the UK to pay £4 Billion pounds a year more in to the EU, than we take out! - I know it 'only' works out at about £50 for every man woman and child on our island, but strewth mate - you don't see the Germans and the French rushing to donate an extra £3000,000,000 out of their own budgets!
Might be different if the French and Germans had led the way - generously donating extra funds to help out the smaller poorer countries... We could still do this on our own anyway if we had cash to spare...

Do I not understand this correctly?

Please share your insights...

Cheers

Mick

Last edited by Mick; 14 June 2005 at 09:40 AM.
Old 14 June 2005, 09:43 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unless France wants to address its unnecessary €7bn benefits from the CAP, I see no need to review UK contributions. I take my hat off to Thatcher for negotiating the rebate in the first place!

I'm sure Tony won't let us down and give it away for nothing.

Suresh
Old 14 June 2005, 10:51 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suresh
Unless France wants to address its unnecessary €7bn benefits from the CAP, I see no need to review UK contributions. I take my hat off to Thatcher for negotiating the rebate in the first place!

Suresh
How sure?

I'm not sure at all to be honest. The bloke is a sneaky gimp and anything that will land him a cushy EU job when he quits the PM job is likely to get the go ahead from him.
Old 14 June 2005, 11:59 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Stuff 'em and the creepy Billy and his mates too!

Its all a big smokescreen to take our attention off the Dutch and French rejection of the flawed constitution. The French premier is looking like losing the protection from prosecution for all the big fiddles he alledgedly did when he was Mayor of Paris which is why he is all twitched up. maybe they will get Billy's friend Berlusconi whose past is also reported as not standing too much close investigation.

They are all a bunch of fiddlers and grafters and they don't give a damn what happens to the electorate either.

Kick them into touch!

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 22 June 2005 at 11:25 AM.
Old 14 June 2005, 11:59 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool Have a little faith in your chosen leader

Blair rejects rebate freeze plan
The prime minister and Mr Chirac are set to clash over EU issues
Tony Blair has turned down a formal plan to freeze Britain's £3bn EU rebate, Downing Street has confirmed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4090274.stm

Blair wants the rebate to grow!

To be honest, I don't understand why Ireland (a.k.a the Celtic Tiger) continues to get hand-outs even though they are doing quite nicely now (thanks to the handouts)???

Suresh
Old 14 June 2005, 12:27 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Suresh
Actually, to be historically acurate the initial abatement was negotiated by Jim Callaghan as a direct result of the UK not doing as well out of the CAP scam as the French, Dutch & Germans did. Margaret Thatcher's contribution was to make sure the abatement became permanent for as long as the above three continued to milk the CAP.
As there is no way on this earth that Chirac is going to concede their farmers' gravy train, there is no way Bliar should concede our compensation, simple as!
Old 14 June 2005, 01:10 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

what I dont understand is - we are ALREADY the biggest contributor to the EU, yet take the least out.

If the capping was scrapped we would pay 15 - yes that's *15* times more than France

Now does that sound fair to you?

The french unemployment benefit is 4 times the average wage of hungary.......

Basically they invited loads of 'fiscal black hole' states to join europe - its like pouring money down a drain - see the france/hungary note above!

The french & dutch saw europe expanding ever eastwards with no money coming in, just them paying out and said NON

Europe also want flat rate taxation across all the countries...like thats gonna work

I say get the **** out - and stay OUT!

ahhhhh - feel better now......

Dr Hu - Rabid anti eu UKIP voter
Old 14 June 2005, 01:16 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Actually, to be historically acurate the initial abatement was negotiated by Jim Callaghan as a direct result of the UK not doing as well out of the CAP scam as the French, Dutch & Germans did. Margaret Thatcher's contribution was to make sure the abatement became permanent for as long as the above three continued to milk the CAP.
As there is no way on this earth that Chirac is going to concede their farmers' gravy train, there is no way Bliar should concede our compensation, simple as!
About six months ago I heard that there was technically no more need for the rebate, as the amounts had been restructured, I think with the 2002 budget renegotiations. However, I haven't been able to find this anywhere since, so either the journalists have decided to bury it to keep a good old anti-EU argument going, or it wasn't accurate at the time.
Old 14 June 2005, 01:16 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Thumbs down

Actually it's worse than I thought already...
From the bbc link Suresh gives...

Mick
Old 14 June 2005, 01:22 PM
RedFive
Scooby Regular

Long live the Sun

Germany is and always was the biggest contributor as a country. Per capita, it is Luxemburg, followed by The Netherlands, Sweden, Germany, Belgium and the UK. Biggest "small poor countries" (cough) that get money out of the EU are Spain, Latvia, Griece, Portugal and Ireland.

There are enough reasons to be anti-EU, but spouting bollox alas is not one of them.

Oh, and if you *do* want to get out of the EU, please do agree with the "constitution" (which it is not), as there are opt-out possibilities in there, which were/are not available under the Nice treaty. I'm sure the nice UKIP people have told you that

Personally, I'd rather kick the UK out of the EU, but hey, that's personal

Last edited by RedFive; 14 June 2005 at 07:33 PM.
Old 14 June 2005, 01:50 PM
EiW
Scooby Regular

Blair rejects rebate freeze plan
The prime minister and Mr Chirac are set to clash over EU issues
Tony Blair has turned down a formal plan to freeze Britain's £3bn EU rebate, Downing Street has confirmed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4090274.stm

Blair wants the rebate to grow!

Suresh
Yeah, and Bliar has no track record whatsoever of saying one thing to the public (via his favourite mouthpiece, the BBC) and doing something else in private, has he??!?!?

Anyway, I'm just off to save up for my son's tuition fees using my income which hasn't been affected by any tax rises, as he promised in 1997, 2001. http://www.labour-watch.com/brokenp.htm

"Faith in your chosen leader" - he's not mine, nor that of about 65% of the population.
Old 14 June 2005, 07:30 PM
RedFive
Scooby Regular

This BBS, with all respect dudes, is dead as a doornail And no, you have no idea how much that pains me really. Oh well, I'll get over it.

Glad the ""Here's a Pic of Me"" thread still works. The "Luurrvvv" thread on the other hand still confirms most of you aren't getting in each other's nickers Then again <Bubble voice> Most af ya are rrreaally ugley</Bubs>

Last edited by RedFive; 14 June 2005 at 07:37 PM.
Old 14 June 2005, 10:28 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Speak for yourself; Im foxy I am!
Old 14 June 2005, 11:13 PM
RedFive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Speak for yourself; Im foxy I am!
Yeah, but then you are one of the nicer guys on here really Still a newb mind
Old 21 June 2005, 04:20 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Question

I don't understand 'the poorer countries paying part of the UK rebate' either... It's all politic speak. If we pay in, more than we take out (inc rebate) NOBODY pays us anything!

Have I missunderstood?

Mick
Old 21 June 2005, 07:47 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

He *is* Blair. He *will* sell us down the river.

Wait and see.....
Old 21 June 2005, 08:00 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

He is already spinning it to sell us out! i bet if the French agree to reduce CAP by 0.0000001% and Blair will roll over and give up our money.
Old 22 June 2005, 07:06 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

I thought that there were only two countries that were net contributors to the EU budget, Germany and us (even with the rebate) all the others make a profit, in France's case a very tidy profit....
Old 22 June 2005, 11:29 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Billy has now decided to do a tactical U-turn and appear to be a Eurosceptic after all he has said to promote Federation (purely as a tidying up operation of course!).

He knows how to drum up some support over here alright!

Les
Old 22 June 2005, 11:36 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mick
I know it 'only' works out at about £50 for every man woman and child on our island
Although there are 60 million residents of the UK, only around 30 million are taxpayers (see http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/stats/tax_receipts/table1-4.pdf). So that's £100 each per year. Which equates to a reduction in your tax code of around £450. Would you be happy with that?

Or, since a 17.5% VAT rate gave us total receipts of £71.853 bn in 2004, we could increase the VAT rate to 18.3% to give us £75.138 bn which is about right.

Last edited by carl; 22 June 2005 at 11:45 AM.