Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

'mixed' religions & marriage

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2005, 07:57 PM
gazingdown
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'mixed' religions & marriage

G/F and I will at some point get wed, things going well. However she's a catholic, not big time but enough that the wedding has to be in a catholic church. I, on the other hand am not religious (in the slightest!). I don't have any objections to it being in a church and her having a 'blessing' in a religious context etc. I however will not say anything religious etc.

So anyone know how these things are done. I guess it's the same as people getting married when they are both religious but of different religions (i.e. a christian and a muslim or hindu etc.)
Old 05 June 2005, 08:12 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Muslim getting married to a Hindu
Old 05 June 2005, 08:24 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Insist on a Humanist ceremony, its shorter than the Catholic one and free of the Religous Mumbo Jumbo, if she isnt all that into it she may agree, but then most of Catholocism seems to be a big guilt trip so you may have to do the Catholic thing to keep her conciensce clear. We did the C of E thing, the whole thing was nice but nowadays, though I respect other peoples religions/beliefs I am anti religion for myself.
Old 05 June 2005, 08:24 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

being protestant myself if i was to marry a catholic, i would have no choice in the matter of where i get wed as a protestant church would not marry us, so it would defo have to be in a catholic chaple, to be honest i wouldnt get a flyin ****! its not about the location.
Old 05 June 2005, 08:29 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Its about the wedding night......
Old 05 June 2005, 08:29 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

The only reason people get married in churches is so it looks good in pics!
Old 05 June 2005, 08:50 PM
A&E
Scooby Regular

If you don't object to it being in a church, then surely you don't object to saying a couple of words if it means all parties involved are happy?

Words are just words - it's how you feel that counts - good luck

Trending Topics

Old 05 June 2005, 09:00 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

personally i just wouldnt get married, im not the sharing type
Old 05 June 2005, 09:44 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by BigJay
being protestant myself if i was to marry a catholic, i would have no choice in the matter of where i get wed as a protestant church would not marry us, so it would defo have to be in a catholic chaple, to be honest i wouldnt get a flyin ****! its not about the location.
I have to differ with you there Jay - I am baptised Roman Catholic and was married in an Anglican Church. As long as you respect the Church and its beliefs you will be welcomed... in fact the whole group at the church were amongst the friendliest people we had the pleasure to meet (apart from the new Assistant Vicar, who frankly, was an evangelical pain in the ****)
Old 05 June 2005, 09:49 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

u may be right, im just going from "as far as i know" as i've never put it into practice lol nor do i plan too for another 10 years or so
Old 05 June 2005, 10:42 PM
imi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angel-eyes
Words are just words - it's how you feel that counts - good luck
Agree...
Old 06 June 2005, 08:34 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I should not worry about it, just go along with the ceremony to keep your G/F happy. It won't affect you particularly.

Les
Old 06 June 2005, 09:04 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
I have to differ with you there Jay - I am baptised Roman Catholic and was married in an Anglican Church. As long as you respect the Church and its beliefs you will be welcomed... in fact the whole group at the church were amongst the friendliest people we had the pleasure to meet (apart from the new Assistant Vicar, who frankly, was an evangelical pain in the ****)

Me too, I'm Catholic but was married in CofE church. A Catholic wedding was too much for my Father in Law to stand
Old 06 June 2005, 09:23 AM
EiW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Me too, I'm Catholic but was married in CofE church. A Catholic wedding was too much for my Father in Law to stand
RUBBISH - he just thought "good grief, if I have to give my daughter away to THAT bloke, I'm doing it on my turf"
Old 06 June 2005, 09:28 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Remember you will be spending the rest of your life with her so it's best to let her have her own way otherwise you will never hear the end of it
Old 06 June 2005, 09:49 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EiW
RUBBISH - he just thought "good grief, if I have to give my daughter away to THAT bloke, I'm doing it on my turf"
Well as you well know that couldn't possibly be the case
Old 06 June 2005, 10:47 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I think you'll find it just about impossible to get married in any church without saying 'anything religeous'.

If she's Catholic then you might want to have an in depth discussion about what happens when you have kids - a lot of practising Catholics are very particular about kids being bought up in the faith etc.
Old 06 June 2005, 11:58 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am not religious but married a good [lapsed] catholic girl. I objected to the religious mumbo jumbo so in the end we got married in a civil ceremony, but in a church building. Church was protestant, but a church nonetheless.

Compromise is the name of the game. if she had insisted on the religious wedding I would have done it, because it is her day after all!

Suresh
Old 06 June 2005, 12:07 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by davyboy
Muslim getting married to a Hindu

lol thats something let me tell u , it happens alot in india

i feel sad for the kids, one parent teaches worship of the one true God the unseen while the other teaches about worshipping so many and where islam forbids idols the hindu parent doesnt

man kids are in the middle they dont know what to do

catholic and protestant aint really a problem their both christians still a few hurdles though

jew and muslim aint too bad, very similiar but i do prefer if i had to marry someone it would have to be someone who converted to islam before we ever met , not converted coz of the luv for me but for the luv of God with a true heart

coz if someone does convert coz they wanna marry u whats to say tomorrow when u split they wont change

the wife is gonna take the kid to her own culture or religion, worshipping idols, a man or anything else and a culture of having different partners every week or out of marriage sex, u dont want your kids to become like that
Old 06 June 2005, 12:38 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If she is a devout Catholic then she will want to bring up the children in her own faith. The Catholic religion requires a promise it that respect if you marry in a Catholic ceremony. Its something to consider of course but if you are not religiously inclined that may not bother you.

Les
Old 06 June 2005, 01:04 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
...but if you are not religiously inclined that may not bother you.

Les
Or it may be a cause for concern that a child is being indoctrinated from birth, rather than being presented with all the facts and being allowed to draw their own conclusions when they are old enough.

It worries me greatly when religions feel the need to impose themselves in such a manner.
Old 06 June 2005, 01:35 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Thats a difficult one to answer accurately in all respects.

Some will say that a child should be brought up at least in a Christian or with some kind of a basic religious belief to hang their hat on to guide them in their formative years. This would stem from the parents' personal beliefs of course. I know you would not agree with that OllyK.

The important thing in my mind is that at least the child should be brought up to understand natural law so that it is guided to live in a decent manner without causing distress to others and with a respect for authority which is necessary for people to live together in harmony.

Most religions teach people to live like that so in general not too much harm is done with the average religious upbringing.

I am grateful that during my education we took Apologetics as a subject where all religions were compared honestly and the choice was left to us without any specific form of persuasion one way or another. I am a strong believer that the most important thing in life is to honestly follow your own conscience.

Les
Old 06 June 2005, 01:52 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Thats a difficult one to answer accurately in all respects.

Some will say that a child should be brought up at least in a Christian or with some kind of a basic religious belief to hang their hat on to guide them in their formative years. This would stem from the parents' personal beliefs of course. I know you would not agree with that OllyK.
You know me well I would argue that religion is a convenient method for presenting a moral framework. It is certainly possible to raise a moral child without the need for teaching it within a religious framework. The downside of choosing religion as a framework is that is comes with an awful lot of illogical and contradictory baggage.

The important thing in my mind is that at least the child should be brought up to understand natural law so that it is guided to live in a decent manner without causing distress to others and with a respect for authority which is necessary for people to live together in harmony.
On that we both agree.

Most religions teach people to live like that so in general not too much harm is done with the average religious upbringing.
But religion isn't just about moral upbringing, there is a rather more central tennant to all religions than that!

I am grateful that during my education we took Apologetics as a subject where all religions were compared honestly and the choice was left to us without any specific form of persuasion one way or another. I am a strong believer that the most important thing in life is to honestly follow your own conscience.

Les
Again we agree.

I would prefer no religion to be taught rather than just one religion be taught in isolation. In the world as it stands, all, or at least as many as practical religions should be taught in parallel, and while it is not a religion in itself, critical thinking should also be taught as a mechanism to explain the possibility that there is no supreme being(s) and the problems with faith based systems.
Old 06 June 2005, 02:25 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

If you feel strongly about not gibbering on about religious mumbo jumbo then get married somewhere else - the day is for both of you and you both need to feel comfortable with what you are being asked to do.

ps. If you do decide on the church don't ask the priest for any change for the condom machine and don't look for one in the church bogs.
Old 06 June 2005, 02:47 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

GD, you need to find out what her faith actually means in practical terms, and also the depth of your own feeling.

I married a Catholic girl and it was a major issue for her parents, me being divorced, not baptised, and a fairly ambivalent atheist. At the time, I couldn't give a damn about telling a few white lies as it kept everybody happy.

But what about kids and contraception? You going to Mass everyday, or just Sundays? Happy to send your kids to Catholic school on the other side of town when the school down the road is perfectly good? Do you want your children indoctrinated with some quite severe religious bollox?

As it turned out, religion has never come between us, despite my own anti-Catholic views strengthening. It came to a head when I refused to attend the Christening of our second child. The Christening went ahead, but a line had been drawn in the sand and was never again crossed.

She will have got her religious beliefs from her parents, who will have a big influence, and you may not find how deep they go until much later. Try not to make a drama out of it, but some up front honesty will pay back long term.

Richard.

PS Sex before marriage? An entertaining test...
Old 06 June 2005, 03:02 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Hoppy
PS Sex before marriage? An entertaining test...
If the priest is wanting to **** your gf before he marries you I'd walk away now mate .