Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

MASSIVE Illegal rave review UK Teknival 28/05/2005

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2005, 11:12 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool MASSIVE Illegal rave review UK Teknival 28/05/2005

I usually plan my weekends weeks well in advance these days. Having to go to other ends of the country are not uncommon and going to all sorts of events of a weekend is just as frequent occurance and this usually means my weekends are full up long before I get to them. But occasionally I have a free one on saturday night which I am left to my own devices to do what I want.

This weekend was one of those occasions but I werent going to waste it by any means. I was going to a "private party". This weekend there were more than a few kicking off with one of them being the annual "UK Teknival" and the other being a smaller party as well as a link up, where several systems combined their stacks to create a larger rig to really blast the ravers. This meant I had a choice. What with me being a lazy barsteward, that meant going to the closest possible.

Having no idea where either party was on this ocassion I had to get organised before I found out where I was going. The night was a crisp May evening so that meant only one thing, time to dust off my Hot Air Balloon.

It took a while to inflate the *******, but eventually I got there, so with curiously favourable wind conditions meaning I could pick up my travelling companions from Uxbridge and Oxford, I was in a prime position to get to most parts of the country when we arrived in the City of Spires and got everyone aboard.

Only one way to find out where the parties were kicking off this weekend. Ouija Board. The Spirit world was curiously tight lipped when I first tried them at around midnight with no information at all. However eventually I got my hands on what I needed. The Linkup party was a feint to fox the police, ALL the rigs were heading to the location of the UK Teknival, which according to the glass on the board was in Vladivostok this time.

We set off straight away as it was well past midnight when we got the information we needed. Even with fresh tanks of propane in the balloon and even more favourable wind conditions, it still took over 3 hours to get to our destination. Luckily when we did get there, it was all worth it.

Setting the balloon to the ground with a thump, we quickly folded it up neatly like and headed in the direction all the vehicles were going. It was quite a walk with us having to crest a hill to get our first view of the party, just as dawn was breaking.

Oh, My, God. The sight that greeted us when we saw the site was nothing short of mind blowing. a solid queue of cars led downhill into a natural bowl surrounded by mountains on all sides. Coming off the road was a HUGE congregation vehicles, lights and noise. It took me straight back to a conversation I remember having with a raver who was there when it all started. He told me of the rush he got when he first laid eyes on such a large amount of people in the place, finally I knew where he was coming from.

But that werent the best thing, no, sight was secondary in what was really making me smile. Usually when you get near a raveyou hear the soft thudding of the bass, but this time there was no defined thump. Numerous basslines were combining together to form one continious bassline which rolled round the valley. It was this and the aforementioned sights, as well as battalions of ravers who were arriving when we were that put a smile on my face. It was to stay there for many hours to come.

We couldn't walk down that hill fast enough. I just wanted to get into the thick of it as soon as possible and eventually we were wandering amongst the systems in the place, watching the madness unfold.

Madness is the best way to describe it as well. I have been to about 15 private parties in all, as well as well over 350 commercial raves, but I was still bowled over by what I was experiencing. Everywhere I turned, there was another sound system, going full tilt, with ravers making the most of the music on offer.

Make another turn and there are friendly hippys selling essential party supplies, from bottles of water to balloons of Nitrous. Round another corner and there is a supremely battered bloke, barely able to stand but more than able to light the end of his Poi and give an impressive display several minutes in length.

We spent a good 45 minutes just wandering around the place trying to get our bearings and work out what to do with ourselves, there was just so much to see and so many systems to take in that it was a bit overwhelming. However, when we got into the middle of the site, we knew where we would be spending most of our time.

For want of a better term, the "linkup area" was right in the middle of the surrounding systems and what a link up it was. I have heard of these before, but have never seen one in the flesh. 7 systems, all lined up in a line near on 45 feet long were flexing SERIOUS amounts of volume into an open area surrounded by lorries and trailers.

In the middle of the line was a scaffolding DJ stand with a very satisfied DJ getting on with his job as several hundred ravers in front of the stacks were battered by the techno he was producing. It was seriously, loud, seriously good, not to mention more than a little infectious. The urge to dance was overwhelming and in no time at all I was into it like I had been there all night.

Best of all, the techno was not the minimalist stuff, but glorious acid techno with lots of riffs and recognisable samples. With the vocals from the "Dirty Harry" film asking the ravers If they felt lucky, to a nice rip of Axel F, though mercifully this was Crazy Frog free.

The rest of the tunes were lost in a blur of techno and raving. I always lose track of time dancing to techno and this was no exception, the only passage of time I notice when i'm like this is the short space of time before the next kickdrum is forthcoming. When it does, I wait for the next one. I can keep this up for hours.

I would have as well, had my companions not dragged me away to find somewhere to go to the toilet. Fortunately, at the bottom of the valley there was a made to be cut down forest which was being negotiated by the party crew with the same idea as us.

After climbing the fence and getting rid, we made our way back to the site. a further few hours were spent infront of the link up rigs dancing to the techno and feeling nothing but a sense of solidarity with those around me. From the bloke with ACAB Tattooed on his forehead sat at the back of the arena, to the dreaded hippies spinning their rave batons, from the party crew on top of the lorries to the munters crashed out on the floor having insightful conversations with their inner selves.

Everyone was in full on, green light party mode, including me and my companions who by this point were just as into the music as I was. However, as is usually the case at Techno parties, I had to get away to have a sit down and chat with some friendly faces.

We headed up to one of the smaller hills surrounding the site. After resigning ourselves to sitting on wet grass, we sat down and took in the site in its entirity. The blurred bassline was still very much in effect, but as wel chatted about everything and nothing, the "Floored" rig stood out from the crowd. It had been playing techno when we arrived, but now it was daylight it was playing a nice mix of Techno, Jungle and Reggae, it was the nearest rig to us and close enough to be clearly heard. Even though we were well over 100 metres away

Having talked for a few hours, we had rested up and were ready for more. Another circuit of the site saw one of my favourite rigs, although arriving late, wasting no time in setting up. Tempest and Gush were in the place and they were not messing about. Quickly building a rig taller than the lorry they brought it in, the thing towered above the patiently waiting ravers.

However, my attention was arrested (heh) by the police car on the road to the rear of the site. Whilst the rig was being built I decided to go on a mission to get a photo of them. Making my way across the field I placed a rave bus in between me and him so I could sneak up on him, but he got called away before I could get close enough.

Never mind, the police helicopter that had just swooped in would make up for it. It was making numerous circles of the site, maybe taking pictures, maybe just having a look, I dont know, I was too busy climbing the tallest hill trying to close the gap between me and him to get a photo.

Eventually I made it to the top and got a few good shots, but not as good as the people I happened to be next to, who were determined to get their flat surface, rolled up note and nose in the same shot as the helicopter, just to take the ****

When the heli had made itself scarce, I noticed a lot more noise from the site on the valley floor. Tempest and Gush had been hard at work whilst I was pissing around with the police and had got their rig operational.

Straight back down to the site to see what the noise was and when i got closer I realised the rig was obviously as tall as it was loud. It was especially loud on the bass front with a noticably powerful kick as each bassline slammed into me and the rest of the ravers in front of the stack.

Musically, it was more of the same with Techno all the way which werent all that surprsing, but good none the less. I was a particular fan of the tune which sounded dangerously close to a rip of the riff from the Hardcore Tune "You're my angel", but it was the next tune which really flipped my switch.

I always hear it when I am in front of this rig, but it is a classic and I'm not bored of it yet, so I was smiling and singing along with the vocals when they asked "What sort of music will they play? TECHNO..."

The party crew in front of the rig were loving it as much as I was and I was going for it and the techno mosh pit kicked off, yet again, in front of the stack.

Shortly afterwards, it all came to a halt as the rig spluttered and died. It was the first time I had ever heard this one cough, but I was glad it did as the next nearest rig caught my attention whilst Tempest tried to get back online.

The ENU rig caught my attention because it was playing something different. The Distorted kick told me all I needed to know and a few seconds later I was parked in front of its banks of speakers as the Gabba eminated from them.

I was running out of time at this point, but the Gabba the DJ was playing was all I needed to finish off my time at the Tek. It felt a little weird at first to be dancing to gabba, yet not in a murkey room with a load of skinheads, but that didnt matter, I was happy enough to be there as tune after tune was pumped out.

Mostly vocal based, but nice and confrontational as Gabba should be, tunes like "Bring it Motherfukker" and "Hardcore, Nothing else will stand" typified my closing moments at this party. It was shortly after the DJ dropped a nice Deathchant tune (Which I cant remember for the life of me) that I realised our time was up. All that was left was the walk back to the balloon, reinflate her and get back home as quickly as possible.

Things I liked:

All of it - The entire experience was nothing short of astounding.

Linkup - Loud, big and put to good use by the DJs. I could have stayed there forever.

Organisation - you could tell someone with brains was responsible for putting this together. Whever they are, singular or collective, I take my hat off to you.

Location - A big bowl surrounded by mountains? Lots of space for people to come together. The systems could make as much noise as they liked, but without disturbing any residents.

Police - These guys deserve a mention for being polite and courtious whilst doing their job. I said it to their face and I'll say it again here, they could teach the miserable *******s at Thames Valley a thing or two about "policing" a rave rather than using it as an excuse to crack skulls. Oh and the helicopter going overhead was a nice distraction too.

Ravedogs - loads of them about, but my favourite was the one with a dayglo collar who wanted to play fetch, a LOT. I threw his stick for him a couple of times at 4am, then at regualr intervals up until one last time before I left at 12.30. Not just fetch, but endurance fetch

Things I liked less:

No Hardcore - There was a curious lack of other music genres in general tbh, however, its called the Teknival for a reason, I knew what I was in for.

Macho bellends - None of the ravers, but some **** driving a tractor going on a mission to rip off as many wing mirrors as possible. I saw him cause some serious damage to a Mondeo parked on the road too. As well as that, the idiot on the Supermoto could have laid off ripping up and down the road inches away from people walking up and down.

My body - for getting tired and demanding I get some rest. I just didnt want it to end.

The Sun - for burning my neck to a crisp.

In total I spent about 8 1/2 hours at the UK Teknival, not as long as the more seasoned party goers, some of whom left on Tuesday morning, but it was more than enough for me. Besides which, I know for a fact I am going remember those few hours for the rest of my life.

I have been to a few raves in my time, both commercial and private parties, however this one is the one that I would, given the choice, attend if I had to chose only one from all of them. A lot of people say that UK Party culture is "dead" and we can never be able to capture the spirit of the originators back in the day.

Bollocks. The doubters are talking bollocks because we spent last weekend doing what happened on a weekly basis when this movement first started out. A large amount of people from all walks of life, yet all on the same wavelength came together, despite the best efforts of the authorities and partied for days on end.

It was the perfect gathering of the right people, the right systems, playing the right music, in the right location, with the right weather, policed by the right coppers that made the event what it was. All of the things you need for the best party I've ever been to were there and it all combined into an unforgetable experience. You could tell by the stupid grin I had plasterd over my face from start to finish that it was something special.

I'm going to talk about what I did over this weekend for the rest of my life. That sort of party was the reason we do what we do, so we can experience something like that. I am not kidding myself though, that sort of get together will not happen often but while the thought of it not getting any better than that what just happened does depress me, I am happy that I was there to experience it when I could. I tell you this for nowt though, the next time I get a sniff of something like this going off again, I'm going to be there before the rigs arrive.

astraboy.
Shouts to: Cass, Skye, JSainsbury, Nikki Enigma (thanks!), Donna (sorry), all those who helped with directions and the friendly coppers who let me go instead of turning me out. Much appreciated.
Old 01 June 2005, 11:14 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

say hi to john n chris when you see 'em next too mate, they live down the road from me

paul
Old 01 June 2005, 11:17 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Will do mate
Pictures of the insanity can be seen here:
http://astraboy1275.fotopic.net/c558802.html
astraboy.

Last edited by astraboy; 01 June 2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03 June 2005, 10:07 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Here is the review for the final part of my weekend, Elektrik.
------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, the Tek was good, but it weren't perfect. It was due to the obvious reason really, no Hardcore. 81 systems and not even anything approaching it, either upfront or oldskool. I was dog tired but a weekend with no Hardcore is no weekend at all so I weighed up my options.

Another allnighter was out of the question, I needed something easy to get to and an early finish, but with the music I love. A few phone calls later and I had secured a lift via RaveGirl to the south coast where MC Marley's night Elektrik was due to kick off that night.

With a 2 room lineup ranging from internet jocks and MC's to the biggest DJs in the scene and their equally well known micmen, it was an interesting combination, not to mention my first time raving in Southampton and the first time at the venue, as well as my first Elektrik. Had to be done really, Southampton here we come.....

After arriving and sinking a few at the pub with the Xtremebeats.com crew, we made our way to the venue and after a brief wait were greeted by a friendly MC Marley who ushered us in.

When we got inside, the place that greeted was a medium sized venue with two rooms with a bar in each. lots of weird backdrops had been erected, as well as lots of UV cannons to make the party crew glow like a goodun.

Of course, being so early, it was on the quiet side, but going on from the MP3 downloads I had heard, there were a lot more people on their way.

Of course, the DJs on early were more than capable of satisfying the reason I was there. The main arena had not yet entered into the spirit of things BPM wise, so I was in the second room, where the Xtremebeats.com crew were in charge of things. I werent sure what DJs and MCs were playing, but all those performing can be found playing out on the station at one point during the week.

What better way to start my evening that with a bit of Upfront UK Hardcore? Amongst others, the DJs played the rip of "Its a fine day", as well as "Rainfall" and "Extreme".

Unfortunatly I had to duck out the venue at this point, I realised I had no money on me and spent the next 20 minutes looking for a cash machine! I found one in the end, but it meant missing out on the rest of the set.

When I got back, the main arena was still Hardcore free, but the next Dj in the second arena was making amends in the best way possible. RaveGirl had stepped up, with an unashamed cheese set in the record bag.

This was exactly what I needed, no pretension, no chinstroking, just tunes that make you smile and dance, lots. This was the main thing that really got me going about RaveGirls set, Although the tunes on their own would have been more than enough to get me moving, the biggest shock was how many people were thinking the same thing.

RaveGirl emptied the main arena, I know cos I went and had a look. Everyone who was up for a rave was crammed into the second arena and were having it Hardcore to the tunes the DJ was supplying. Like I said, party tunes all the way with "Follow the Sun", "Bodyslam", "Pretty Green eyes", "Shooting Star", "Sensations", "Eyeopener", all getting a look in. Finally RaveGirl finished off her set with the rushy "All I need is your love" and I left for the main arena, all revved up for the rest of the night.

What better way to continue than with South Coast Legend DJ Druid in charge? I always make time for this guys sets as he seems to play a never ending succession of tunes I love. It was all the excuse I needed to get myself onto the dancefloor and go for it again.

In no time at all, the rapidly growing crowd were up there with me. All of them were being treated to another timeless Druid set, abely assisted by Ronnie G on the mic who was keeping it minimal and understated on this occassion and as a direct result enhanced the music immesurably.

And what music it was too. All the Hallmarks of the best from yesteryear were more than forthcoming with "Feel the Panic", "Toytown", "Rainbow high in the sky", "Let the music take you" and "Like a Dream" all getting a look in. It was euphoric, happy and breakbeat oriented. I stomped my guts out throughout.

For the 11-12 set it was the turn of another south coast outfit, the RBC to grace the decks. Darren Styles and MC Whizzkid packed out the DJ stand and the dancefloor followed suit, everyone of them an up for it raver.

Styles and Whizzkid wasted no time and set about double teaming the ravers with a tag team combination of top tunes and fresh lyrics. The dancefloor was shoulder to shoulder at this point and the heat in the place was being controlled by a bouncer opening the emergency exit, but all the party crew wanted to do was dance.

Easily done with Styles hitting them with lots of upfront Euphoric tunage such as "Feel So Real", "Cutting Deep", "Slide away" and best of all, my favourite tune of the moment "Turn it up"

While all this was going on, Whizzkid was was bang on it, keeping the ravers hyped and the place screaming with his usual brand of sublime lyrics such as "My sexy Baby" and best of all "Crazy love".

It was about 15 minutes into all this I realised what I was seeing, it was at the same time, with more or less the same artists, and definitely the same kind of tunes, it was an emergency back up kick off set and I was loving it from start to finish.

However it had to come to an end sooner or later and when it did (with the hghly appreciated "Getting Better" as well) I realised how tired I was. Even though I wanted to stay till the end as I am a big fan of Jedi's and Impact's work, I knew what I had to do. 10 minutes later I had accepted the kind offer of a lift back to near my place (you know who you are, big up) and after that it was an appointment to sleep in my bed, for the first time since Thursday night.

Things I liked:

South coast - Every time I go down there, I go away with a big smile on my face. The South coast partyvibe is hot on the heels of Bristol when it comes to "Best Hardcore Atmosphere". Good turnout as well, esp for a sunday night.

Music - I was exhausted, but needed my Hardcore fix for the weekend. This party came up with the goods. Old skool cheese, breakbeats and of course Upfront Hardcore. Lovely.

Security - Nice and friendly, kept themselves to themselves when they werent needed too.

Decor - Lots of weird fluro backdrops and equal amounts of UV cannon to make them all glow. Simple, understated and effective.

Bouncy floor - You can tell the place was having it when I could feel it flexing in my tendons of my ankles.

Things I liked less:

Soundsystem - Could have been a little louder.

Wimping out - Having to take the offer of an early lift home, even though I wanted to see the event through to the end. I used to be Hardcore you know

Having been to the unforgetable experience of an outdoor illegal party with 4000 people, I wanted to go to this event to hear some Hardcore. I weren't expecting much more than that, maybe about 50 people in the venue, 75 if I'm lucky.

How wrong could I be? Near on double that by my estimations, not to mention all of them being 100% up for a party and bringing with them the cracking south coast atmosphere which I just cant get enough of these days.

This was meant to be the wind down of a very hecktic weekend, where I could listen to the music I love before calling it a day, however I walked away with a big grin on my face having danced just as hard as I did the night before and, once again, soaked in my own sweat, always an indicator of a good night out.

Perfect finish to a perfect weekend this one, mind you, I expected no less, I was raving to Hardcore while being near to the English Channel and I aint been disapointed yet when I have done that in the past. I'll see you at the next one.

astraboy.
Shouts to: Cass, Skye, JSainsbury, Nikki Enigma (thanks!), Donna (sorry), Ravegirl, Jordi, Sarah Wiles, Ed (pompy raver), Matt Fusion, Druid and Mrs Druid, Brisk, Vapour, Leigh outrage (too long bruv), Sykee, Marley (thank you dude), Whizzkid, Darren Styles, The "Darren Styles is Fit" girlies (nice to meet you) Impact, Casper, all those who helped with directions and the friendly coppers who let me go instead of turning me out. Much appreciated.
Old 03 June 2005, 11:06 AM
richieh
Scooby Regular

**** me ive just seen that dog pic-identical to my little monster in his younger days
hes lost the brown in his coat now(gone a bit grey at 14 lol)

richie
Old 03 June 2005, 11:29 AM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
Will do mate
Pictures of the insanity can be seen here:
http://astraboy1275.fotopic.net/c558802.html
astraboy.
That, quite seriously, looks like my worst nightmare....

However - each to their own, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.