Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fish not well

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2005, 08:27 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fish not well

Have got Koi, goldfish and various other fish in our pond, had noticed one of the goldfish had some sort of white sticky looking blobs on it, so took it out straight away and put in a separate tank. That has consequently died.
Had most of these fish well over a year with no problems at all.
Any ideas?
The water is clean, I'm always checking the filter ect.
Old 28 May 2005, 08:31 AM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

probably couldn't live knowing you bought the league
Old 28 May 2005, 08:37 AM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

Do you put salt 'not household' into your pool, and do you also top up with tap water ?
Old 28 May 2005, 08:57 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

I'll ignore the jealous gooner again

Dont put any kind of salt in it. Do top it up with tap water but do check ph and nitrate levels.
Over the last four or five weeks been putting some blanket weed treatment in, but nothing I've not used before
Old 28 May 2005, 08:59 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Suggest you ask your local aquatic centre for some suitable fungal treatment to protect remaining fish. DL
Old 28 May 2005, 09:02 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Was thinking of doing that. Going to take the Koi out and take a few piccys and see what they think. There are so many various treatments for this and that could go on forever
Old 28 May 2005, 09:08 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Yes see if you can get some pics of the affected fish and post them up here. As David said, on the face of it it sounds like fungus... but "white blobs" is a little unspecific. If it is an infection of some sort there could be an underlying cause like poor water conditions, or an open wound caused by something, ammonia burn etc...
Old 28 May 2005, 09:10 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Had similar recently - used an FMG mix, but unfortunately lost half the fish. Do not buy cheap cr4ppy treatments, (as I did at first) - using these, infection spread to most of my koi, and killed of 10 of them, put some FMG mix into the pond, and the rest cleared up in a few days!

FMG is used for both fungal and bacterial infection, If there is a fungal infection, then there will most likely be a bacterial infection which has allowed the fungus to grow on a weakend fish!

Act quick though, so your fish have a fighting chance (unlike mine )
Old 28 May 2005, 09:23 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Yes see if you can get some pics of the affected fish and post them up here. As David said, on the face of it it sounds like fungus... but "white blobs" is a little unspecific. If it is an infection of some sort there could be an underlying cause like poor water conditions, or an open wound caused by something, ammonia burn etc...
Must learn how to post pics, sorry

The water conditions do seem good, have a large enough filter, do the various tests ect. The Koi hasn't any wounds either
Old 28 May 2005, 09:27 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyFlow
Had similar recently - used an FMG mix, but unfortunately lost half the fish. Do not buy cheap cr4ppy treatments, (as I did at first) - using these, infection spread to most of my koi, and killed of 10 of them, put some FMG mix into the pond, and the rest cleared up in a few days!

FMG is used for both fungal and bacterial infection, If there is a fungal infection, then there will most likely be a bacterial infection which has allowed the fungus to grow on a weakend fish!

Act quick though, so your fish have a fighting chance (unlike mine )
Will go to the aquatic centre this morning and see what they say. Will mention FMG to them. Certainly won't put anything in the pond until I am sure of what I'm dealing with
Old 28 May 2005, 10:08 AM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

Using freeze dried salt is part and parcel of keeping Koi carp.

Normal car washing bucket add two handfulls of salt & mix, then introduce across the pool, not all in one place.

I have been keeping Koi for many years & have some woppers, lost one a couple of weeks ago due to heart or kidney failure, no other signs of illness.

I fill mine with tap water, and am lucky with the local water quality. using the correct salt once in a while helps contol organisms & also helps build up a protectant on the fishes outer body, this helps to prevent disease.

Also to protect oxygen content now the warmer days are here, you need to add a couple of air stones to your pool. the oxygen is at its lowest at day break, adding air stones also improves your ponds surface area.

Also remove any kind of sharp rocks or stones you may have in your pool, as the fish can dart about quite quickly & could get damaged by these objects.

My fish are healthy & large, my pool may well be overstocked but looking after water quality is important, plus regular 25/30% water changes is usefull, I suggest for you at the moment at least once a week.

Your problem does sound like fish pox, which usually dissapears, your loss may not just be down to the sticky blobs, don't worry though, just keep your eye on the rest.

I also had a major problem with blanket weed, for the very first time. I used something called blanket killer, in a red box available form most aquatic centres, now nothing at all....

Cheers
PNB
Old 28 May 2005, 10:28 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pnbond007

I also had a major problem with blanket weed, for the very first time. I used something called blanket killer, in a red box available form most aquatic centres, now nothing at all....

Cheers
PNB
PNB,

I've sent you a PM about blanket weed - hope you don't mind (didn't want to hijack this thread). David
Old 28 May 2005, 10:51 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Have taken the fish out and on closer inspection it has blood vessels showing in the fin, fin rot?
Old 28 May 2005, 11:10 AM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

Dave you have PM

Cheers
PNB
Old 28 May 2005, 01:42 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

http://photobucket.com/albums/y185/pauld37/31ac2853.jpg

Hope this works
Old 28 May 2005, 03:22 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I'm struggling to actually see the affected area at all! Can you get in any closer?
Old 28 May 2005, 04:04 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Yeah sorry not my best effort. Though this fish doesn't seem to have the same sticky stuff the other one had, more concerned about the fin rot. Been to the aquatic centre and picked up some treatment for it.
Old 28 May 2005, 10:16 PM
Merv
Scooby Regular

Take a look at our Medicated food,I feed my koi on it all the time,very rarely get any problems with them.

http://www.dorsetdiscus.com/feed.html
Old 29 May 2005, 06:50 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Cheers Merv, you live in Bridport?
Old 29 May 2005, 12:49 PM
Merv
Scooby Regular

Live,work and play.
Old 29 May 2005, 01:23 PM
Patriot
Scooby Regular

I have a 5000 gallon pond and suffer terribly with blanket weed, even grows in the winter, a mate told me about Viresco Aqua so I have purchased a packet and will try it when I get home...work offshore.

Martin