Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Notice to my employer

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2005, 11:33 PM
frsash
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Notice to my employer

Can anybody advise me on handing in my notice at work?

I want to leave my current job as I've just bought a business but as with all thing there are complications. The business will not become mine until all contracts and monies are exchanged and much like a house purchase the seller can back out at any point up to this time. I'm contracted to give 2mths notice to my employer but do not really want hand in my notice until it is guaranteed that I have the business in the bag.

My question really is even though I'm contracted for 2mths notice what can my employer do if I say I'm leaving next week - can they withhold pay or prosecute me?

As an aside - Ideally I'd like to get the sack and be asked to leave there and then 'cos they have to give me 3mths notice, so I'd be entitled to 3mths pay without having to work it (a bit immoral I know). Any ideas how I could achieve this bearing in mind if I hit the boss (or something similar) I would be fired on disciplinary grounds and therefore loose all entitlements (I assume) and possibly prosecuted.
Old 26 May 2005, 11:37 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Hi,

had a similar position to your's a while back and I was required to give notice of several weeks. All I do was put things down to personal circumstances etc.

In my experience, as long as you're not dropping them in the proverbial by leaving straight away they're normally quite understanding and are prepared to let you go well within your official notice period.

Mind you ... if you're going to get paid if they tell you to go - go for it !!!

Jai
Old 26 May 2005, 11:57 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Just devleop a poor (not bad) attitude and just mess things up all the time. Turn up on time, but make sure the work that you do is late/ not complete/ not correct. Basically achieve nothing with your time there.

Sooner or later they will just get rid of you
Old 27 May 2005, 07:58 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

**** your bosses wife!!

If she's a minger then **** his daughter!!

If she's a minger.......sister??

Old 27 May 2005, 08:04 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Go sick and start your business anyway. They will find out you're swinging the lead and sack you or hand your notice in and go sick to start your business - what they gonna do, sack you??? Result!

F
Old 27 May 2005, 08:33 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley
**** your bosses wife!!

If she's a minger then **** his daughter!!

If she's a minger.......sister??

Even better if she's a minger, not only pisses off the boss but displays a lack of good judgement
Old 27 May 2005, 11:00 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Are you sure you'd get 3 months pay if you got the sack? Getting the sack would generally involve gross misconduct, and most companies have a neat little line about that negating any payment for notice periods.

If we could all get the sack and paid our notice period, then the world be a lot more fun place to be!

As long as you give them 'reasonable notice' you should be OK. This may depend upon your role, skills, qualifications etc - but tribunals have held that 1 week was 'reasonable' irrespective of what the contract said.

The worst they could do is take you to small claims court if they could prove they lost money because of you leaving early. Best advice is to add your holiday into it and keep it all as above board and reasonable as you can - you never know when you may need a reference!
Old 30 May 2005, 10:19 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

mate if they sack you, you are entitld to pay up until that moment, no notice payment ects required.

for them to pay you the terms in the notice period they need to make you redundant. and make that position unavaiable for employment for some time. and they will not do this lightly.

if it was me I would go sick, bad back ect, then you can retun to work as a last resort. you can be a gentleman when the time comes and hand your notice in on medical grounds they will probably still pay you as it would be bad press for them to do otherwise.

or they find out you were screwing them and fire you. either way you get yur result
Old 30 May 2005, 12:30 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Whenever my folks make anyone "redundant" even though their contracts say they have to work x months they usually let them leave at the end of the week and still pay them their notice period.

Depending on the size of the company (large coprs I'd imagine are more strict on this kinda thing) hand your notice in and speak to someoen just saying if you could leave sooner it would be appreciated, unless they are all *******s I'm sure it will go down better than just being a foo' to get the sack
Old 30 May 2005, 01:25 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I would ignore any 'advice' saying to go off sick or attempt to get the sack, and instead do your best to leave in a professional manner that would make the company happy to employ you again - even if flipping burgers in McDonalds would be preferable to ever returning. It's a small world, and you never know how the paths of your former colleagues and managers will cross in future.

Most companies are pretty reasonable and appreciate that it's better to have a cooperative employee serving out 4 weeks notice than a pissed off employee being forced to work 2 months.

Gary.