Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The false alert of global warming

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2005, 12:28 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The false alert of global warming

An interesting populist article on the subject which makes for entertaining reading and contains some good points, especially the fact that the greens first version of "climate change" was global cooling. That particular claim is just over 30 years old and I wonder if it will make a come back when they get fed up with the lack of support from science for their warming:

http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=8177
Old 23 May 2005, 12:44 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Interesting read
Old 23 May 2005, 12:44 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

I remember a C4 Equinox documentary in the early 90's that took each of the claims and dismissed them on good scientific evidence. Many of the claims were based over a short timeframe and when researched over a much longer period the results were found to be cyclic. The 'greens' had just selected a timeframe that suited their argument.....
Old 23 May 2005, 02:16 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

That is an interesting read. I have heard of the cooling and warming periods before, although I don't really know much about them.

However, whether climate change (up or down) is related to our activities, one thing is certain, extinction is running at a massively accelerated rate at the moment.

Now I'm not saying that we are gonna wipe the earth clean, far from it. Life exploits new oppurtunites in these situations (i.e. mammals 65 mill years ago), but our continued destruction of habitats and disruption of lifecycles and over consumption could well have dire consequences for human life.

Life will go on of course, it survived far worse environments than we could ever produce by design or accident, but I can't help feeling that our lack of consideration for the planet we share will come back and bite us.

Geezer
Old 23 May 2005, 02:30 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
extinction is running at a massively accelerated rate at the moment.
Can you show me the published annual extintion figures over the last 50 million years or so please, just for comparison, or are you taking a 20 year or so snapshot to suit your argument?

I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just asking if we actually have records going back long enough to actually show a trend based on how long life has existed on this planet.
Old 23 May 2005, 03:05 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by OllyK
Can you show me the published annual extintion figures over the last 50 million years or so please, just for comparison, or are you taking a 20 year or so snapshot to suit your argument?

I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just asking if we actually have records going back long enough to actually show a trend based on how long life has existed on this planet.
This is from the fossil record. I'm no expert obviously, but then again I didn't discover mathematics for myself, but that doesn't necessarily make what they taught me in school untrue.

I can only go on what I read or see on prgrammes, much like everyone else on here who hasn't made a major contribution to world science

Geezer
Old 23 May 2005, 03:43 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

This is from the fossil record. I'm no expert obviously, but then again I didn't discover mathematics for myself, but that doesn't necessarily make what they taught me in school untrue.

I can only go on what I read or see on prgrammes, much like everyone else on here who hasn't made a major contribution to world science

Geezer
And we have confirmation that every species that ever existed has been captured in the fossil records?

Sorry I'm being picky I know, but the global warming issue has come about by certain groups cherry picking data. I am just asking if the same could be true of the extinction rates especially as new species are also being found at an incredible rate, i.e. new fish are being discovered at the rate of about 2 a week - http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6565772/

I have little doubt that man is having an impact on the planet, the question is the how much of an impact. I get the feeling that a lot of the figures banded around are set at scaremongering levels. For example, of the species that become extint each week, how many would or do become so without man's impact? How much is man affecting the long term extinction figures directly, or could we just be experiencing a natural blip? If you'd like to point me in the direction of the articles you refer to I'd be happy to have a look for myself.
Old 23 May 2005, 03:54 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Ollyk,
Just to clarify what I'm talking about mate, it's not the warming or climate change, it's simple causal effect of extinction by our actions.

Whether that is a cause of some climate change is irrelevant. We didn't warm up anything to kill off dodos or passenger pigeon, to name some obvious ones.

It's not about the original topic I agree, but I think it's relevant because we are really talking in more general terms about human effect on the ecosystem, by whatever means.

I am by no means a green, I couldn't care less about humanitys fate, or what we do to the planet, it will recover, but you have the opposite of the greens, who are just as blinkered in their view that we are not having an effect on the world.

Geezer
Old 23 May 2005, 04:00 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Regarding this whole environment thing, wouldn't it be better to assume the worst, that we are causing this, and to do something about it, rather than to think, hey maybe it isn't our fault, but we're not sure, so lets just sit back and watch what happens?

Even IF we aren't causing global warming, surely it's better for everyone that we live in a cleaner less polluting environment?

That's my well-informed view anyway.
Old 23 May 2005, 04:09 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darts_aint_sport
Regarding this whole environment thing, wouldn't it be better to assume the worst, that we are causing this, and to do something about it, rather than to think, hey maybe it isn't our fault, but we're not sure, so lets just sit back and watch what happens?

Even IF we aren't causing global warming, surely it's better for everyone that we live in a cleaner less polluting environment?

That's my well-informed view anyway.
I'd prefer some good honest un-biased research in to it all and some informed decision making to follow on from that. Switching off the power stations "just in case" isn't a very compelling argument!

Just as a little example, this country seems to be going re-cycling mad at the moment. The greens just love this, it's all environmentally friendly. Except it isn't. We have knee jerked in to re-cycling and recycling many things and in particular paper is a horrible thing to do.

Almost all our paper comes from sustainable forests, i.e. for every one felled, at least one is planted, so that is good. Recycling paper involves bleaching the pulp with chlorine and other environmentally unfriendly chemicals as well as using large amounts of energy in transportation to the plant, powering the plant and the process. Add to that the recycling is subsidised as it isn't financially viable either and you have a really stupid idea that is environmentally unfriendly, being perpetuated by the people that claim to be concerned about the environment. Cherry picking data again!! Recycling paper was OK, if the wood was not from sustainable forests, now that most of it is, recycling is worse.
Old 23 May 2005, 04:26 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by OllyK
I'd prefer some good honest un-biased research in to it all and some informed decision making to follow on from that. Switching off the power stations "just in case" isn't a very compelling argument!
I have to agree with you there. This is my main issue, you have the greens saying one thing, and the other side in total denial. Somewhere in between is the truth.

There is no doubt that man is damaging the environment, but to what degree no one really knows. It may be enough to damge the environment terribly, it may be utterly inconsequential. Trouble is, we have no middle ground, follow the greens and stifle our techological development, or follow the other side and rush headlong into oblivion.

Choices choices!

Geezer
Old 23 May 2005, 04:36 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

I have to agree with you there. This is my main issue, you have the greens saying one thing, and the other side in total denial. Somewhere in between is the truth.
The problem I have with this, is that what would the greens have to gain by scaring everyone needlessly? I can see the obvious motivation of organisations telling everyone nothing is wrong, and no one should be worried buying their cars, using their petrol, consuming their products, etc. However, what would the greens have to gain by telling us the opposite? Guess it depends on who you trust, Greenpeace or Shell
Old 23 May 2005, 04:37 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

There is no doubt that man is damaging the environment, but to what degree no one really knows.
Far closer to the scientific view point than the green that's for sure. You only have to look at my recycling example. The greens "think" we are causing a given problem and suggest what they "think" is a better solution with much to support it, as a result, their proposal may well be worse than doing nothing!

It may be enough to damge the environment terribly, it may be utterly inconsequential. Trouble is, we have no middle ground, follow the greens and stifle our techological development, or follow the other side and rush headlong into oblivion.

Choices choices!

Geezer
It's a no brainer AFAIAC
Old 23 May 2005, 04:40 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

The problem I have with this, is that what would the greens have to gain by scaring everyone needlessly?
The problem is they are convinced they are right, even if the evidence doesn't support them. They will then quite happily scare monger to try and get people to believe them (as they don't have any scientific evidence to support their case, that's all they have left really)

I can see the obvious motivation of organisations telling everyone nothing is wrong, and no one should be worried buying their cars, using their petrol, consuming their products, etc. However, what would the greens have to gain by telling us the opposite? Guess it depends on who you trust, Greenpeace or Shell
How far would you trust an organisation that tried to block a cooling outlet of a nuclear power plant in an attempt to show how dangerous nuclear power is by trying to get one to blow up?? Yup Greenpeace are way up on my trust list, just slightly above Al Quaedar.
Old 23 May 2005, 04:46 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

They were right though, they are dangerous!
Old 23 May 2005, 04:53 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

They were right though, they are dangerous!
No - they can be dangerous. Chernobyl is the prime example, but that was a poorly maintained facility in crumbling communist Russia.

Where does France get most of its power from? How often do you hear about them having a problem? Coal is a nasty polluter I agree and the supply is finite. But I don't particulary want to see every free square inch of land covered in wind mills or the sea covered in bouys either as I don't see that as desperately friendly to the environment either. IMO nuclear power is the best all round solution we have at the moment.
Old 23 May 2005, 05:17 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Yes I agree that we should move towards Nuclear, but just saying!
Old 23 May 2005, 05:24 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Yes I agree that we should move towards Nuclear, but just saying!
Oh sure, but planes can be pretty nasty in the wrong hands as well. Unless you plan on banning everything, we have to accept some degree of risk.
Old 23 May 2005, 05:37 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Nuclear power - remind me again - how long does it take for the by products to become safe again.......? (Scientifically speaking ) And if we built loads more of them would we all be willing to live close to the waste processing facilities? (Or create a world where our kids would have to live close to them.)

I know that I'm a greenie wierdie - but my first degree was in Geology, so I wholeheartedly support the notion that the earth has always had warming and cooling phases. The scienific community is doing itself no real favours on this one either - eminent scientists are producing 'evidence' for both sides of the warming/ cooling argument - so who really knows?

We're really not clever enough to 'destroy' the planet, but we could make it a far more uncomfortable place to live. I don't think there's any scientists out there telling us to burn more fossil fuels and emit more carbon 'cos it's a really good idea - they all agree it's not good to keep chucking the stuff out, they just seem to be disagreeing on the level of impact.

It needs to come down to personal responsibility - turning off lights, greener cars, walking instead of driving etc. New Zealand has introduced a personal 'Carbon Tax' to encourage people to select more fuel efficient home appliances, cars etc - I think that's a fab idea - I can't help thinking I'll be in the minority though.

The problem with fossil fuels isn't just the global warming - it's the fact that they're finite - and I can't help thinking that by the time we've finished arguing over whether or not they're distroying the environment, we'll have used them all up anyway.

Last edited by Drunken Bungle Whore; 23 May 2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 23 May 2005, 07:09 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Kevin Groat
I remember a C4 Equinox documentary in the early 90's that took each of the claims and dismissed them on good scientific evidence. Many of the claims were based over a short timeframe and when researched over a much longer period the results were found to be cyclic. The 'greens' had just selected a timeframe that suited their argument.....
"The Greenhouse Conspiracy"

I still have the program on tape, and watch it every now and then - especially after the lentil munchers have had a rant

Climate causes CO2, and not the other way around!

mb
Old 23 May 2005, 07:28 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

This is perfectly true and well established in science, an increase in CO2 lags an increase in temperature by about 800 years or so, I've posted references for this research previously. There are now about 7 papers which firmly state this.

The greens are using the fear of so called man made global warming to secure their political position and to push their political agenda. The co-founder of Greenpeace, Dr Moore, resigned because of the green myth being used in an unscientific way, he said:
"There were always extreme, irrational and mystical elements within our movement, but they tended to be kept in their place during the early years. Then in the mid-Eighties the ultraleftists and extremists took over. After Greenham Common closed and the Berlin Wall came down these extremists were searching for a new cause and found it in environmentalism. The old agendas of class struggle and anti-corporatism are still there but now they are dressed up in environmental terminology."

This explains why the green nutters are not speaking from an uncoloured position with clear minds and hearts of gold. They are intent on pushing a political agenda which was dead in the water with the end of the cold war. With Russia gone they first tried global cooling, which seemed to worry no one, and now they have turned to global warming.

The only part they were right about is the implication that the climate is ever changing and that we mere humans have no control over it.

The continuing attempts to manipulate the news agenda and politics to make man made global warming, and the disasters we are told will accompany it, seem real are no better demonstrated than in this letter from a Canadian climate scientist. Not the leading role of the British in trying to steer the direction of this scientific conference:

Sir I was invited by the Russian Academy of Sciences to take part in the Moscow climate change and Kyoto Protocol seminar held in July and to present my work on global warming and extrem weather (Letters,Sept 23,Comment,Sept 20).Iam a retired research scientist from Environment Canada and am on the editorial board of two international journals.
The British delegation ,led by Sir David King,behaved in a most peculiar fashion throughout the event.On the day of the symposium,Sir David objected to the presence of several dissenting scientists(myself included),submitting a hand written revision of the academys programme that would have reduced it from two days to one,omitting all but one of the"undesirable" scientists.The academy did not accept it.My own presentation was repeatedly interrupted.
During it ,I demonstrated that a careful analysis shows no increase in extreme worldwide weather events at present and the likelihood of esculation of such events in the next 10 to 25 years remains very small at this time.
Prefessor Nils~Axxel Morner from Stockholme University,an international renowned sea level expert,demoolished the myth that islands in the Maldives will be under water if greenhouse gases are not curbed.Despite his previous leading role in the Inter Govermental Panel on Climate Change and his status as past~president of the International Union for Quaternary Research(Inqua) commission on sea level rise,his work has been routinely discarded by the IPPC.Many other scientists including those present at the symposium,have experienced similar treatment from the international scientific community.
With the exception of the behaviour of some of the British delegation,the Moscow seminar was the kind of open debate and public reassessment of the climate science that is long overdue.
Sir David and his compatriots ought to recognise the importance of alternative views of the rapidly evolving,yet still immature,field of global warming and climate change.Only then can we hope to understand this complex scientific issue,possibly the most important of our time.
Dr Madhav Khandekar
Ontario Canada
Old 23 May 2005, 08:05 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

On the extinction thing, I once heard that well over 99% of all species that ever existed are extinct, so maybe a few thousand more is not really significant.

The current "anti 4x4" debate makes me laugh. I don't particularly sympathise with rich people driving their kids about in agricultural machinery but the crusade against them is so inconsequential. I wonder exactly what % of total fuel is burnt by these vehicles? And if they weren't in 4x4s, they'd be in big merc estates anyway, which are probably only a few % more efficient. Apparently buses are even less efficient...

Last edited by ProperCharlie; 23 May 2005 at 08:28 PM.
Old 23 May 2005, 09:07 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Some very good essays on this topic by Professor Emeritus Philip Stott can be found at A Parliament of Things.

It is unfortunate that the scientific debate has been twisted by high profile scientific journals (particularly "Science" and "Nature") seemingly choosing headline-grabbing "doom and gloom" stories over stories with real substance. Unfortunately these headlines sell journals. These have been fuelled by politicisation of the upper echelons of the UN's scientific body, the IPCC (intergovernmental panel of climate change), which results in considerable bias in many of its top-level reports. Do a google on "Chris Landsea" if you are interested in finding out more about this...
Old 23 May 2005, 09:20 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

the depth and diversity of knowledge on here never ceases to amaze me...and i mean that...!
Old 24 May 2005, 01:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Of course it enables the government to put enormous taxes on fuel used on the public roads.

I wonder why they don't tax aviation fuel which produces enormous amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. It takes approximately 40 tons of fuel for one airliner to cross the Atlantic in one direction!

Les
Old 24 May 2005, 03:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Hutton d

Dead right what you say of course and I agree with your sentiments entirely.

Les