Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

my car accident

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2005, 08:06 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car accident

last wednesday whilst on way home from work i had approached island , slowed down to approx 20mph on nothing coming from my right i proceeded onto island-not a very big island but not a mini island neither-whilst still on the island a rover car came out of next junction onto island straight in front of me and i braked but couldn't avoid colliding with his back quarter-no one hurt etc as only a low speed crash.He denies it was his fault as he says the road was empty when he pulled out to which i replied road couldn't of been empty otherwise there wouldn't have been a collision-derrrrr-anyway its going thro insurance companies and solicitors-do you think i should be ok as i dont want to have to pay my excess or loose my no claims-damage to his car was about £150 and to mine it wrote it off just found out today (btw i was in an old mondeo value something like £800 ) so whats views? should i be ok and he get blame for accident?
Old 18 May 2005, 08:12 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

When you say island, I presume you mean roundabout. If so, without independant witnesses, accidents on roundabouts are often a nightmare to prove who is to blame.

Anyway, I wouldn't have thought it would be worth claiming for a car worth 800 quid on increased future premiums alone.
Old 18 May 2005, 10:50 PM
Mr Sympathy
Scooby Regular

Cool

i think the argument here will be that you had priority and right of way already being on island, if he pulled out and you struck his rear quarter not his rear where fault would probably be laid at your door. you need to prove with independent witnesses your priority was ignored by the other driver, personally i think it will be a knock for knock 50;50 claim
Old 19 May 2005, 12:33 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Did you get pictures?
Old 19 May 2005, 07:36 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Sadly if you hit his rear it looks like a rear ender and the guy at the back is always to blame............... however if he pulled infront of you then you have right of way, already being on the island. Sounds very much as though itll be knock for knock as its easy for the insurance companies ........ do you have legal cover?
Old 19 May 2005, 07:51 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

yes i have legal cover and it is going thro solicitors now-when i say i hit his rear quarter i still mean it was on the side tho i hit him and not from behind
Old 19 May 2005, 08:38 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Look on the bright side mate, before crash repair his Rover was worth about £50.

Whats it worth now
Old 19 May 2005, 09:37 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

How did you manage to hit something the size of a Rover if you were going less than 20 mph? The back end of a Rover at that... You'd have plenty of time to see it in your peripheral vision, nevermind the amount of time it took to pass in front of you, to stop or avoid it. It sounds to me like you were in fact speeding onto the roundabout and the way was clear when he made his manoeuvre, only for you to come hurtling onto the roundabout and not be able to stop in time.

Just playing Devil's Advocate. This is what he and his insurers will claim.

Old 19 May 2005, 09:43 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

gotta agree with J2S there.... if you wasnt travelling fast for him to pull out you should have had bags of time to slow down/stop/swerve etc to avoid his rear quarter.....

the nature of the accident Id say hes sort of to blame but it does sound highly likely that you was speeding onto the roundabout IMO..... obviously not being there I cant say for sure but it does sound that way....
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

if i wa speeding there would have been a lot more damage done to cars then was done-so thats that theory shot in flames-i had been as it happens in a queue of traffic for about 7 miles so had pootled along all that way and as for peripheral vision-cos of there being several lanes there you notice several cars around u moving from lane that runs along the island but bypasses it and as i come onto island im obviously looking to my rite to ensure road is clear-something he didn't do!!!!

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
How did you manage to hit something the size of a Rover if you were going less than 20 mph? The back end of a Rover at that... You'd have plenty of time to see it in your peripheral vision, nevermind the amount of time it took to pass in front of you, to stop or avoid it. It sounds to me like you were in fact speeding onto the roundabout and the way was clear when he made his manoeuvre, only for you to come hurtling onto the roundabout and not be able to stop in time.

Just playing Devil's Advocate. This is what he and his insurers will claim.

Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Think carefully about whether it's worth it or not. The insurance companies will get every penny back off you in the next few years, and you'll be declaring this accident for the next 3/5 years depending on insurer. Remember you will have to declare this accident on ALL policies you hold, so your scoob insurance will also increase. It might be better to pay the b'stard the £150 and patch up your £800 car by doing the minimum amount of work to make it road legal and safe (i.e. not reparing every scratch and dent).
Old 19 May 2005, 09:45 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

read my other reply-on an old mondeo to only break the bumper-dent a wing slightly and break an indicator proves i wasn't speeding anything faster then about 20 mph or there would have been a lot more damage-would there not

Originally Posted by davegtt
gotta agree with J2S there.... if you wasnt travelling fast for him to pull out you should have had bags of time to slow down/stop/swerve etc to avoid his rear quarter.....

the nature of the accident Id say hes sort of to blame but it does sound highly likely that you was speeding onto the roundabout IMO..... obviously not being there I cant say for sure but it does sound that way....
Old 19 May 2005, 10:26 AM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

Ok, ignore all these saying you were speeding, it is irrelevant, we always act on the basis that speed cannot be proven in an accident, so even if he says you were it will be disregarded, he has NO proof.

I would say you have a good chance of recovery as damage is frontal on yours and OSR Q on his, so you were clearly on the RAB and he pulled in front of your correctly proceeding vehicle.
Old 19 May 2005, 10:29 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

thank you Ian-thats type of reply i like

Originally Posted by Ian_S
Ok, ignore all these saying you were speeding, it is irrelevant, we always act on the basis that speed cannot be proven in an accident, so even if he says you were it will be disregarded, he has NO proof.

I would say you have a good chance of recovery as damage is frontal on yours and OSR Q on his, so you were clearly on the RAB and he pulled in front of your correctly proceeding vehicle.
Old 19 May 2005, 12:00 PM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

The only good part of this is that you were not in the scoob.

Have you got protected no claims?
Old 19 May 2005, 04:44 PM
UK300-199
Scooby Regular

Ive been told that if you have a accident on the roundabout its automatically 50 50.
Old 19 May 2005, 07:01 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by UK300-199
Ive been told that if you have a accident on the roundabout its automatically 50 50.
Rubbish. I've had 3 roundabout accidents, one was my fault and the other two were the other driver's faut.
Old 19 May 2005, 07:52 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

You shouldnt listen to idiots then
Old 20 May 2005, 02:06 PM
UK300-199
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lum
Rubbish. I've had 3 roundabout accidents, one was my fault and the other two were the other driver's faut.
Ok you must have accepted that it was your fault but and the other drivers must have accepted their faults but if you both denied fault then it may be 50 50,im not sure its just something sombody said to me.

I could be wrong.
Old 20 May 2005, 02:10 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Ok you must have accepted that it was your fault but and the other drivers must have accepted their faults but if you both denied fault then it may be 50 50,im not sure its just something sombody said to me.

I could be wrong.
First one yes I admitted fault.

Second one we both denied it, then I got a snotty letter saying "our insured claims that it was entirely your fault but due to the uncertanity we are prepared to offer a 50 50 in these circumstances" I wrote back telling them to get stuffed, how can someone driving into the left hand side of my car on a roundabout posibly be my fault and they gave in and coughed up.

Third one I was rear ended on a roundabout.
Old 20 May 2005, 02:23 PM
ChrisB

I could be wrong.
Given your motoring record, I would wage on you being wrong
Old 20 May 2005, 02:52 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

I could be wrong.
What do u know, u feckin lunatic
Old 24 May 2005, 04:51 PM
UK300-199
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
What do u know, u feckin lunatic
Oi you pregnent fish who are you calling a Lunatic?

You Moron.
Old 24 May 2005, 08:07 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Oi you pregnent fish who are you calling a Lunatic?

You Moron.
Geez took you long enough to bite on that post, having trouble reading it are we?

You know, if you stopped squatting to **** someone might take you seriously.

Feckin asshat.