Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

"Culture of respect" or the end of yob culture!

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2005, 01:07 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Culture of respect" or the end of yob culture!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4551727.stm

Apparently there won't be any yobs, if you don't wear a hooded top in shopping centres and eat dinner at a table!

Maybe I'm being stupid, but I thought it was the threat of punishment that stopped yobs in my day (God, I sound old)

The fear of the cane at school, the fear of what the police would do, but more importantly what my parents would say or do!

But with the liberal PC attitude sweeping the nation, we lay blame at every corner, rather than rely things that have worked in the past!

I'm not suggesting that kids are beaten, but the threat of a smack was enough. Yet there will be people who say that kids should not be hit (be it a light smack on the bum) at all.

There is a kid in Kingston called Liam (who I say is no more than 13), who has shoplifted from several shops in town (and is now ejected on site), happy to spit on people, smash up cars, beat his mum up and mug people. But what have the authorities done? Nothing! Maybe some councilling will help!
Old 18 May 2005, 01:12 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

It's laughable under the current government.

If people want rid of these types as well as a country of more morals they should have put a cross in the blue box. But once again people are f$cking oblivious to what they are actually voting for.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:14 PM
PCatWork
Scooby Regular

You disagree that eating dinner at a table has anything to do with it, but then you say that your behaviour as a child was partly influenced by being afraid of your parents.

The two things are related. Eating dinner at a table could be seen as parents instilling decent values in their kids. It says:

"I made this meal for you. Now you will sit at the table and behave in a proper way for at least 10 minutes while we eat together."

Eating meals together also provides an opportunity for the family to be together (assuming that they are) and for two way communication between children and parents.

Just MO.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:17 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PCatWork
You disagree that eating dinner at a table has anything to do with it, but then you say that your behaviour as a child was partly influenced by being afraid of your parents.

The two things are related. Eating dinner at a table could be seen as parents instilling decent values in their kids. It says:

"I made this meal for you. Now you will sit at the table and behave in a proper way for at least 10 minutes while we eat together."

Eating meals together also provides an opportunity for the family to be together (assuming that they are) and for two way communication between children and parents.

Just MO.
I'd go along with that - atleast it's a start. Which is something I suppose, probably just more soundbites though.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:21 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I don't disagree with eating at the dinner table, but you do not need to eat at the dinner table together to interact with your children.

More fool the parents if that's the only time they spend with their kids.

Maybe TB can tax people who don't eat at the dinner table, or don't have a dinning room!
Old 18 May 2005, 01:46 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It certainly is due to a complete lack of respect and no sense of discipline while they are brought up. This is down to the parents more than anything else. If parents are either not prepared to to instil discipline because they are frightened to do so in case their children won't love them, or because they are so indisciplined themselves that they just can't be bothered, then matters wiil just get worse, esoecially when we get to the next generation.

An ordered society requires cooperation from the people, the police would never be able to cope otherwise. The only way to get that is to get children to respect authority and to realise that if they transcend the rules then they can expect a significant punishment. This has to be something that they just dont like and if that includes corporal punishment then that is what they should expect to get. Another worthwhile step would be to make parents legally responsible for damage and vandalism etc by their children who are below the age of majority.

All this PC rubbish from the Roman sandal wearers has a great deal to answer for and if it is not changed then the future looks bleak to say the least.

Les
Old 18 May 2005, 03:33 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
What is should actually have said is the disappearence of the family! Which this government has done much to accelerate.
What exactly has the government done to accelerate this then?

Personally, I think the degeneration of society to chav levels in general has been going on for longer than the last 8 years. In fact I suspect a lot of the problem is the dissolutionment instilled into the working class after the battles between the last conservative government and the trade unions. Once it's there, it's very hard (if not impossible) to get rid of again. I agree that the Labour government hasn't been very proactive in trying to sort this out so far, but I think it's unfair to blame them solely for an inherited problem....
Old 18 May 2005, 04:06 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
More fool the parents if that's the only time they spend with their kids.
It might not be the only time, but when your kids get to 14-15 try getting them to spend time with mum and dad. Mealtimes are one of the few ways that parents can interact with kids - its the kids that might not want to.

One less ruffian/chav in the Kingston/Teddington area now though eh
Old 18 May 2005, 04:16 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by damian666
One less ruffian/chav in the Kingston/Teddington area now though eh
You moving on Damo?
Old 18 May 2005, 04:21 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

I'm gone

Work in the city now.
Old 18 May 2005, 04:43 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

We finally got rid of him..... hooray!!!
Old 18 May 2005, 04:47 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Its not "cool" to be politeful and respectful otherwise why is Liam Gallagher so popular.
Old 18 May 2005, 04:50 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4551727.stm

Apparently there won't be any yobs, if you don't wear a hooded top in shopping centres and eat dinner at a table!

Maybe I'm being stupid, but I thought it was the threat of punishment that stopped yobs in my day (God, I sound old)

The fear of the cane at school, the fear of what the police would do, but more importantly what my parents would say or do!

But with the liberal PC attitude sweeping the nation, we lay blame at every corner, rather than rely things that have worked in the past!

I'm not suggesting that kids are beaten, but the threat of a smack was enough. Yet there will be people who say that kids should not be hit (be it a light smack on the bum) at all.

There is a kid in Kingston called Liam (who I say is no more than 13), who has shoplifted from several shops in town (and is now ejected on site), happy to spit on people, smash up cars, beat his mum up and mug people. But what have the authorities done? Nothing! Maybe some councilling will help!
Sadly, you are spot on Andy!
Old 18 May 2005, 08:15 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheBigMan
If people want rid of these types as well as a country of more morals they should have put a cross in the blue box.
You must have a short memory! Back to Basics anyone? Neil Hamilton? Jonathan Aitkin? Some great moral examples from the Tory party there. Actually the idea of just about any politician lecturing on morals makes me feel ill.

M
Old 18 May 2005, 11:45 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

All Politicians can "talk the talk", very few can "walk the walk".
Nothing will come of this.
Trust me.
Old 19 May 2005, 12:01 AM
matt85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vegescoob
All Politicians can "talk the talk", very few can "walk the walk".
Nothing will come of this.
Trust me.
Sad but true.

It will still end up with endless beuracracy (sp?), regardless of what they are saying (ASBO's anyone??). We all know the way to solve the problem is a larger police presence and tougher punishments for offenders. Why cant they just do this and be done with it?
Old 19 May 2005, 01:10 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
What exactly has the government done to accelerate this then?
Its all in here, just finished it, bloody good reading, well researched, and so true...
Old 19 May 2005, 01:21 AM
Mr Sympathy
Scooby Regular

you forgot to blame professional footballers as well, overpaid, highly self regarded and strangely admired individuals who are allowed to stream lines of obscenities at referees when they dont like their decision and it is streamed to homes all over the place. Real multi factorial issue this one, these pretentious individuals get away with it evry saturday and if they can why cant the kids of today?
Old 19 May 2005, 08:19 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Bring back the Birch!

Les