Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why is it so difficult to get into work?

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2005, 12:55 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Why is it so difficult to get into work?

I have decent gcse grades, AS leval grades, live in a more than respectable area, never been in trouble with the 'law', I leave all doors open, so to speak, even to increase the chances of just an interview, and decent(ish) jobs are proving more than difficult to get..

I applied to a place thats pretty much on the doorstep, and I got, what I class as anyway, a fob off letter, then there's the another place that wasted my time and effort, and two other places that haven't even corrisponded with me yet.

Can't go much longer can't go much longer until the dole is the only option .. thats just scraping the barrel

bit of luck would be nice for a change .. I don't get much of it
Old 18 May 2005, 12:58 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Have you thought about a career in Bomb Disposal ?

Old 18 May 2005, 01:00 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by chaos.
AS leval grades
Grammar maybe ??

Old 18 May 2005, 01:19 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Dont expect jobs to be handed to you.

Its not easy finding a job, my girlfriend had issues even with a first degree from uni.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:26 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Maybe you're setting your sights too high
Old 18 May 2005, 01:39 PM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

Whats has your address got to do with anything?
Old 18 May 2005, 01:41 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Maybe they all know you are a **** - try applying for jobs in a different area from your home - hopefully they won't have prior knowledge of you and you might get an interview - the again, maybe this is just wasting your time.... they are going to discover that you are a **** at the interview anyway...... mwawh haw haw haw

p.s. - 'corresponded'
Old 18 May 2005, 02:41 PM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

It's easier to get a job when you already have one. You'll more likely come across as more confident at the interview and the fact you are employed make you look employable.

I'd recommend you get any job, if that's working in a call centre, a shop or a pub then so be it. Once you are in employment continue looking for a job that you want to do.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:52 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Maccy D's always seem to be on the look out for new recruits, have you tried there?
Old 18 May 2005, 02:53 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bar work is great fun - that is if its a nice little pub in the country. Can't stand working in town centre pubs
Old 18 May 2005, 03:03 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Just get a job, any job you can. I left Uni and was working in a factory for 6 months whilst looking for a career job. The fact I was working meant I had cash in my pocket, to run a car, to get to interviews when and where they were. It also disciplines you for when you do start working in a job you want. Don't go on the dole, as that gives entirely the wrong impression.

Nobody is going to give you a job, even in today's market which is still bouyant, you have to earn a job. You talk about luck, but as someone smarter than me once said 'The harder I work, the luckier I get'

The first question I and any employer will have though is, why no A-levels??? If you started the 6th form why not finish it, and if you haven't finished it, you need to have a bloody good excuse as to why you dropped out.

Last edited by Reffro; 18 May 2005 at 03:06 PM.
Old 18 May 2005, 03:06 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Maybe you come across as a waster? Do you scrub up well and look presentable on interviews? Maybe your grammar is so bad, they look at your CV and throw it in the bin.... you asked, Im just suggesting things?
Old 18 May 2005, 03:08 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Good point Reffro, higher education IMO is a waste and unless you've gone on to do something very sensible and start a job at a lower level (i.e trainee or apprentice) your always going to struggle to get anything career orientated when a school leaver would have more chance....
Old 18 May 2005, 03:39 PM
yoza
BANNED

Try riting to a factery wear the job reqwires idiots who cant reede or rite proper.........it werked four me.

At the intervew they asked if eye was stupid........eye woz onist and said yes, so they gave me the job.

Getin a gud gob liyk mine isnt all its cracked up to be, scroowing dustcaps on all day iz a littul bit borin at timez.

An im getin SRI in me thumz.
Old 18 May 2005, 04:04 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I have decent gcse grades, AS leval grades, live in a more than respectable area, never been in trouble with the 'law', I leave all doors open, so to speak, even to increase the chances of just an interview, and decent(ish) jobs are proving more than difficult to get..

I applied to a place thats pretty much on the doorstep, and I got, what I class as anyway, a fob off letter, then there's the another place that wasted my time and effort, and two other places that haven't even corrisponded with me yet.

Can't go much longer can't go much longer until the dole is the only option .. thats just scraping the barrel

Its because you spend all of your time wanking; sort yourself out you little bollocks!
Old 18 May 2005, 04:05 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

You really have to get off your *** to get a job .. try some of the following ..

Get on lots of recruitment agency books, they are generally crap but at least you are on them. You must phone them day after day and ask them what they are doing for you and what progress they are making.

Try a pleasant phone call to local companies and ask to speak to recruitment, ask them if they have anything or even ask them if it's OK to send in a C.V. Follow any C.V. up with another call, it's sometimes about persistance.

Try your mates, any contacts you have, I hate the word but 'networking' is sometimes a great way, someone knows someone who knows someone. Put it this way my current job was through a mate of a mate who introduced me to a company.

I have done the following in the past also, I've worked for free for a month or two. It's good experience and if there are any possible jobs come up in that period you've shown how keen and willing you are.

Check job sites every day online, apply for lots even if you don't quite match the spec. I doubt most job specs get 100% candidate matches for applications.

It's hard work, needs a lot of time/leg work/phone work.

Avalyn.
Old 18 May 2005, 04:19 PM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

Originally Posted by Graz
Maccy D's always seem to be on the look out for new recruits, have you tried there?
Don't you need a degree to work there

Just keep trying. It may be discouraging, but you'll get something eventually
Old 18 May 2005, 05:27 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BexTait
Don't you need a degree to work there

Just keep trying. It may be discouraging, but you'll get something eventually
Do you I've got one as well perhaps I'm working in the wrong place. You get a free dinner there as well
Old 18 May 2005, 05:57 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

You lot are a bunch of *****. FFS, the English he used was not that bad; this is Scoobynet not a job cover note. It also only requires one person to tell him that, not 'sheep' following the trend of slagging him off.

However, some advice is helpful. You DO need good English/representation/x-factor etc when going/applying for jobs. Try to do some further education, and work in your spare time. Some people I know have also worked through the ranks. Whatever you do, it is going to be hard and stressful and you need to prove your worthy to work in capitalist system- group work, commitment, taking orders etc.

Any-hows, I have just had the hardest exam of my life, and have one in the morning, so screw the lot of you I am off to revise New-Keynesian Economics, and make love to the misses quick time
kamy- PS; visit WHSMITH etc and there are books that will help you sort out your CV, interview skills and general aspects of getting employed.
Old 18 May 2005, 06:03 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you doing ANY work, or just sitting at home being miserable writing and receiving letters?

I did temping for a year. Ended up being offered a permanent job with one company. It went bust after six months but at least I wasn't just drowning in my own sorrow, which believe me will come across in any interview.

I left uni at age 21, got my first job where I needed the degree at 26. Still kept working and earning in the meantime though. Timber yards, box-shifting, data entry, sorting drawings, truck driving, envelope-stuffing, frozen food sorting, shelf stacking, I've done the lot... Never went to McD's though!
Old 18 May 2005, 06:04 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

never knew there were so many councillors and HR people on snet!

go and work on a farm for the summer. the pay won't be that great but you'll get to know a lot of very genuine people who'll probably offer you more work if you're up to it. alternatively, start your own business
Old 18 May 2005, 06:42 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by yoza
Try riting to a factery wear the job reqwires idiots who cant reede or rite proper.........it werked four me.

At the intervew they asked if eye was stupid........eye woz onist and said yes, so they gave me the job.

Getin a gud gob liyk mine isnt all its cracked up to be, scroowing dustcaps on all day iz a littul bit borin at timez.

An im getin SRI in me thumz.
class!
Old 18 May 2005, 08:40 PM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

How about an apprenticeship? Earn while you learn kinda thing.
Old 18 May 2005, 08:42 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BexTait
How about an apprenticeship? Earn while you learn kinda thing.
I have applied for a technical apprenticeship at BT, they have not got back to me yet...

Also went for one at another place, went to the interview, didn't get the job!

I am hoping for the one at BT, would be a decent career, job for life.

Last edited by chaos.; 18 May 2005 at 08:44 PM.
Old 18 May 2005, 08:48 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

welcome to the gang
Old 18 May 2005, 08:52 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wwp8
welcome to the gang
thats new labia for ya (labias are kind of useful tho .. ) but anyway all the mudering, raping eastern europeans are taking the jobs, the 20% unemployed are probably all british
Old 18 May 2005, 09:54 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

thats new labia for ya (labias are kind of useful tho .. ) but anyway all the mudering, raping eastern europeans are taking the jobs, the 20% unemployed are probably all british
I dont really know where to start with that comment.......

Seriously, you're coming across as a spoilt child at the minute. I know this because i was one myself not so long ago . Maybe this is coming across in interviews as well. Change your attitude from 'woe is me' when you dont get a job to 'ah well, its their loss'

The way you carry yourself works wonders and perhaps prospective employers are picking up on this. Shoulders back, confidence, speak clearly and dont be afraid to tell them how good you are.

Try it.
Old 18 May 2005, 11:50 PM
Benny Blanco
Scooby Regular

Mate, DON'T GIVE UP.

It took me ages to get the job i'm doing today. Went to numerous interviews, and i'm not kidding, 3 of them flattly forgot to reply telling me i hadn't got the job. Don't let it get to you though, it's not personal and every interview you go to is more experience of the situation, which will prove useful.

You will get something eventually mate, just keep trying and keep enthusiastic.

Ben.
Old 19 May 2005, 12:05 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

So you've got basic educational qualifications (though nobody would guess from your grammar and spelling) and have applied for 4 jobs and been rejected for each of them.
There are plenty of degree-educated people in the same position as you, competing for the same jobs. The only way you're going to get a foot in the door is by taking something right at the bottom and working your way up.
BTW - forget the "job for life" thing - it's a total fantasy in today's world.
Old 19 May 2005, 12:41 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Mungo - couldn't agree more. Getting any kind of "Job for life" is getting increasingly unlikely in modern Britain.

The other thing to note is that the chances of getting most specific jobs are generally going to be a lot less than 1 in 4! For most jobs, there could be anywhere from a handful to several hundred applicants. You need to get CV, covering letter etc about right to get to interviews, and even if you get to an interview, there'll probably be several others interviewed for the same post.

I'm told that my "hit rate" on leaving uni nearly 11 years ago of 3 interviews, 1 definite and 1 probable job offer from applying to 30 companies was pretty good. No offense, but if you've only applied to 4 local companies, it's not surprising you haven't found a job. You need to apply to lots, and potentially be prepared to move away from your doorstep if you want a good chance of getting something.

Finally, if a company isn't responding to you, try phoning them to politely enquire, and remember the phone call if handled right is a further opportunity to "sell yourself" to them.

Quick Reply: Why is it so difficult to get into work?