Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Friendly coppers

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2005, 04:18 AM
drjsd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friendly coppers

Driving to Brands on the M25 at the weekend, doing about 90mph in light traffic and in the distance I see a patrol car. It's doing about 60mph, so eventually I get up to it and start to overtake (at the limit).

Police car indicates to pull out, so I indicate for him to come out. As he sits in front of me he turns on the red light in the middle of his lightbar, at which point I start thinking I'm going to get pulled.

He then switches the sign to "70 LIMIT" and pulls back into lane 1. I drive past, acknowledge him and he gives me a cheery grin back!

What a sensible bit of policing, when I'm guessing he could easily have puled me over and had a word or at worst caught me on VASCAR from behind (possbile?). Restores your faith in human nature!
Old 18 May 2005, 06:48 AM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Had similar many years ago when working in London. Did the trip weekly in the early hours and when the traffic was light I usually tanked it. One trip was I travelling in a group a three cars, all similar speed, but prefer to be in some space so accelarated away from the group, only to see in the distance behind me a white car gaining on me (and I was not hanging about!). Slowed down a bit and spotted his blue lights, managed to get it down to 80ish by which time he sat in the outside lane on my tail. I was just waiting for the lights to go on. After 30 secs he pulled alongside, showed me 7 fingers (70mph) and shot off! Saw him a few miles later where he had pulled someone else.
Old 18 May 2005, 08:09 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a similar moment a couple of weeks ago on the A41 coming into Watford, they sit in the entrance to the cemetery with their laser gun, it is a 40 mph limit (dual carriageway) again no traffic and i was cruising at 55 mph and slowed to 50 when I saw him, he just raised 4 fingers, i acknowledged and was given the thumbs up!! How lucky was that.
Old 18 May 2005, 09:35 AM
wazza2770
Scooby Regular

I stopped a nice man in his scooby the other day ZZZZOOOOOOOMMMMMMING along the A40 from the M40 intowards London, On the speedo he was doing quite a wak, so I switched on the vascar and B@gger he got caught behind a van, this brought his avarage right down to just 84mph. then off he went. I did not fancy at that time, to go all the way into Londinion just for a speeding scooby, so i pulled him just east of Uxbridge. Out he got in his pin striped suit and looking very embarrased... "What do you do for a living then Sir" I said " Opps Gulp err eek I am a Lawyer" OOOH that would have been some nik eh. A lawyer on route from one court to another, a lower court to a higher court. I said to him " tell the Judge Wazza sends his love, then tell him why you are late" Can you just imagine the laughs that would get in court.

I gave him a good talking too and out of curiosity i said " Do you go on Scoobynet" he said yes... so come on geezer tell us who you are and reply to this then.

He went away very tail between his legs and a clean licence. I went away with a smile.

See we dont have to write tickets all the time.

Oh i wonder if he did tell the judge why he was late?
Old 18 May 2005, 09:49 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
Had a similar moment a couple of weeks ago on the A41 coming into Watford, they sit in the entrance to the cemetery with their laser gun, it is a 40 mph limit (dual carriageway) again no traffic and i was cruising at 55 mph and slowed to 50 when I saw him, he just raised 4 fingers, i acknowledged and was given the thumbs up!! How lucky was that.

Actually, relative to the church, the dual carriageway leading towards the M25 is NSL and the other part leading towards Watford is 50
Old 18 May 2005, 09:55 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I always preferred Traffic Cops to Speedcams.

Les
Old 18 May 2005, 11:40 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I always preferred Traffic Cops to Speedcams.

Les
Yes Les, even the smug, condescending fúckers like Wazza above.
Old 18 May 2005, 12:04 PM
Stevie.p
Scooby Regular

Smile

It just depends on how you speak to the officer in my opinion
Old 18 May 2005, 12:11 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by Henrik
Actually, relative to the church, the dual carriageway leading towards the M25 is NSL and the other part leading towards Watford is 50
If you're coming from the M25 its 50 then hits 40 at the start of the underpass but most people are doing 70!! and like wise from the Dome roundabout its 40 until the underpass when it goes to 50, all signed up.

I have noticed they like to "hang around" a little further down towards the r/b in the parking bays, cheeky sods, they'd be better off catching the idiots who pile out of the temple/mosque trying a u-turn.

Last edited by Funkii Munkii; 18 May 2005 at 12:13 PM. Reason: grammar, spelling, the usual.
Old 18 May 2005, 12:13 PM
wazza2770
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Yes Les, even the smug, condescending fúckers like Wazza above.
spoon you say the sweetest things, obviously someone has rattled your cage today then.
Old 18 May 2005, 12:22 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by wazza2770
spoon you say the sweetest things, obviously someone has rattled your cage today then.
Not in the slightest, happy as Larry, me. I just have a dislike for the majority of you wasters.

I gave him a good talking too and out of curiosity i said " Do you go on Scoobynet" he said yes... so come on geezer tell us who you are and reply to this then.

He went away very tail between his legs and a clean licence. I went away with a smile.
What is worse is it goes unnoticed by yourself.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:35 PM
wazza2770
Scooby Regular

Oh dear I wont lose sleep over sad comments like that.

lets hope the next officer who stops you then, is not a friendly one. It seems to me that you have one heck of a chip on your shoulder.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:53 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Is Spoon a lawyer by any chance
Old 18 May 2005, 01:54 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Oh dear I wont lose sleep over sad comments like that.

lets hope the next officer who stops you then, is not a friendly one. It seems to me that you have one heck of a chip on your shoulder.
Police Force standard issue comments like that make it increasingly easy for everyone to dislike your attitudes on duty.

Childish retorts were left at infant school for most of us.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:55 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Is Spoon a lawyer by any chance
Hardly, I don't do condescending to jumped up kids in uniform.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:38 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

I doubt spoon is a lawyer as his command of the English language is too vague. If he IS a lawyer he's very upset. If he's not upset, he certainly doesn't appear very erudite.

Spoon, leave Wazza alone. There are plenty of fcukwit cops out there with bad attitudes, and belive me Wazza, despite sometimes being a little condescending, isn't one of them.

Besides, if you had to police people these days, don't you think you'd come to view them all as "naughty children"?

Last edited by Turbo_Steve; 18 May 2005 at 03:02 PM. Reason: speeling
Old 18 May 2005, 02:42 PM
steffiraf
Scooby Regular

What Steve said
Old 18 May 2005, 03:24 PM
wazza2770
Scooby Regular

Spoon said " Hardly, I don't do condescending to jumped up kids in uniform."

Hmmmm almost 30 yrs as an officer of the law, I too think that some of the youngsters can be a bit OTT. But then I guess I have been in the job, probably longer than you have been out of nappies, and I have come accross many similar smart alec's so, lets leave this one here. you obviously have a lot to say and I shall let you rant on regardless.without any further comment.

Last edited by wazza2770; 18 May 2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 18 May 2005, 03:37 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
I doubt spoon is a lawyer as his command of the English language is too vague. If he IS a lawyer he's very upset. If he's not upset, he certainly doesn't appear very erudite.
What is it with people that assume everybody is upset just because something is posted that is contentious? I certainly smiled when you felt qualified to judge my command of the English language.

Spoon, leave Wazza alone. There are plenty of fcukwit cops out there with bad attitudes, and belive me Wazza, despite sometimes being a little condescending, isn't one of them.
If I want to comment on how Wazza come across, then I will. You for one have said no different above to what I said. Condescending is not popular, end of.[/quote]

Besides, if you had to police people these days, don't you think you'd come to view them all as "naughty children"?
What a classic!! That has to be one of the most unbelievable statements I've ever read here.

Actually Turbo Steve, your name rings a bell as being a waste of space when a friend was trying to purchase a phone from you advertised on here. Apologies if I have mixed your name up with someone else but if I haven't then your opinion registers a large nothing when it comes to a reference.

Steffiraf- Another Law enforcer I take it.
Old 18 May 2005, 03:47 PM
steffiraf
Scooby Regular

Is that a problem?
Old 18 May 2005, 03:49 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Spoon said " Hardly, I don't do condescending to jumped up kids in uniform."

Hmmmm almost 30 yrs as an officer of the law, I too think that some of the youngsters can be a bit OTT. But then I guess I have been in the job, probably longer than you have been out of nappies, and I have come accross many similar smart alec's so, lets leave this one here. you obviously have a lot to say and I shall let you rant on regardless.without any further comment.
Age was metaphorical speaking Wazza. Somebody in their 50's can still act awfully childish. It just so happens, not in all cases I stress, that putting on a Police uniform has that desired affect today.

Using the term smart Alec is what simply highlights the ****e you guys find yourselves in when it comes to the publics perception. What's worse is that you can't see it.

Hey and I'm a son of an ex traffic cop and Grandson of an ex Superintendant so lets not assume I don't speak from experience, even if not direct.
Old 18 May 2005, 08:25 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

I'm curious as to your judgement of poor drivers, if wazzas mode of thought is so damaging to public perception of the police.
What runs through your mind when someone goes blasting past you at 100+mph whilst you drive perfectly reasonably?

Is their wilful disregard for the law a heinous crime for which they must be percieved as dangerous criminals? Or are they to be percieved as ignorant of the potential consequences of their actions, and in need of education, in the nature of a child.

Deal with any group of 'needy' people long enough, and it's inevitable you tend to become patronising: Nurses, Doctors, Police, IT support, Human resources, Police, Plumbers, Mechanics, and in fact almost every service industry suffers much the same perceptual problems: It's human nature. It certainly isn't just the uniform.

For someone who clearly isn't short of intellectual capacity, your perception in this matter seems strangely skewed, and markedly aggressive?

As for making you smile, I am glad you're not taking life too seriously. My assumption that you were upset was based not on the contentious nature of your post, but the apparent "hurried" use of english. It was meant as a lighthearted jibe...it's more than likely that you're working hard and don't have time to waste carefully wording foolish posts on Scoobynet.

As for the phone.....I've sold phones here previously, but don't recall any issues?
I've PM'd you my e-mail..happy to discuss via mail or MSN or via telephone.
Old 18 May 2005, 09:40 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Steve- Why you should have a curiosity towards my judgement of poor drivers is somewhat confusing. Nowhere did Wazza say they guy he pulled was a poor driver, he mentioned he was speeding, there's a marked difference in my book.

Maybe you relate speed to poor driving, that's unfortunately the line most of the Police Force take nowadays and so is an interesting topic all of it's own.

To satisfy your curiosity however, I think all poor drivers should be shot with a cannon from a fairly close range. Sadly you see more and more poor young drivers which is very disappointing, it is no longer the sole domain of the old.

My original comments were merely highlighting the way in which Wazza typed how he spoke to the "speeder". We all know if we are speeding and we get stopped that it's not necessarily good to argue the point but it also doesn't give the law enforcer the right to talk to us in a condescending manner whilst hiding behind the full weight of the law.

You mention that in other professions this can be the case, maybe it can but there is one major difference, you have more chance of getting away with laying them out on their backs if they do behave above their station. That's the way of life. If the Police are given this "protection" by law then they should feel safe in the knowledge it's there and not go about inciting unnecessary bad feeling and ultimately hatred.

It's human nature to respond to a warning better than a smug lecture.

As an ex champion bike rider and self confessed speed lover I have no problem whatsoever with somebody coming past me at 100mph, not the slightest flicker or tut tut at all. Again though, this is speed and not poor driving.

You also appear to be referring to speeding as a heinous crime. So your answer to that is no, speeders shouldn't be treated as dangerous criminals.

Skewed is a very interesting view of yours because from where I'm sitting it sure doesn't appear that I have a skewed view on the matter and it certainly wasn't aggressive. You must live a very timid life if you picked up on aggression, disagreement yes, which might amount to aggression in your eyes?

I've replied to your pm about the phone and it appears it was you. TIP: When advertising anything for sale make sure it is actually available to buy and when somebody has the cash ready, appear interested in parting with said advertised item or don't bother advertising it.

Anyway, it's unlikely we'll agree on this but thank you for your input and making me smile, especially on your assumption of how I'd police others.
Old 18 May 2005, 10:09 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

I still have no clue what you're on about re:the phone?

I can think of a single incident with a chap who refused to call me despite numerous requests, so I sold the phone elsewhere? Is this it? If so, get over it.

My opinion on speeding is irrelevant: as is yours.
Speeding is illegal. Just as running a red light is illegal, so is breaking the speed limit. By that token, both constitute poor driving: It really is that simple, and nothing will get away from that unless the law is changed.

Whereas speeding constitutes poor judgement or not is another issue, but someone still took the decision to break a law that is there for the protection of themselves and others. They decided that they know better.

And yes, speeding is an emotive subject, and a "grey area" in terms of what you can and can't do and what is considered a serious and a minor offence etc etc.

But it IS breaking the law. If you don't like it: get the law changed.

For the record, I have a performance car, and I certainly am not one to adhere to the speed limit where I feel it is safe not to. But I'd far rather be sitting in the car being told why I shouldn't have been doing the speed I was doing when I was doing it (which is probably patently obvious to an officer who has been trained extensively to read the road far better than both you or I, experience aside) than recieve a little yellow piece of paper, a fine and learn nothing.

And if you don't think that your comments were inflammatory (an action always bourne of aggression of some sort) then I can't imagine your concept of diplomacy.

We're entering essay territory, here

Last edited by Turbo_Steve; 18 May 2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 18 May 2005, 10:31 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I still have no clue what you're on about re:the phone?

I can think of a single incident with a chap who refused to call me despite numerous requests, so I sold the phone elsewhere? Is this it? If so, get over it.
I can quite easily obtain the emails to prove otherwise.

But I'd far rather be sitting in the car being told why I shouldn't have been doing the speed I was doing when I was doing it (which is probably patently obvious to an officer who has been trained extensively to read the road far better than both you or I, experience aside) than recieve a little yellow piece of paper, a fine and learn nothing.
An officer put through training does not mean he can "teach" everyone how to drive, that's my point. Using your anology a traffic cop can tell Mr Schumacher and others can he/she? I think not. You might feel inferior, some don't. Putting me in your category when you know nothing about my driving/racing experience is pure speculation indeed.

We have completely different views on speeding. We also have different views on how we are spoken to.
Old 18 May 2005, 10:34 PM
Pauleds2
Scooby Regular

Spoon, i'm not writing an essay, you are a complete ****. I meet folk like you daily and am provided great entertainment.
Water off a duck's back.
Old 18 May 2005, 10:46 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pauleds2
Spoon, i'm not writing an essay, you are a complete ****. I meet folk like you daily and am provided great entertainment.
Water off a duck's back.
Perhaps you'd be as tough with your mouth if we met? Or would you be in uniform for protection? There's always one weed that pipes up because they can't enter a discussion without resulting to putting on the keyboard ninja suit.
Old 18 May 2005, 11:54 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Talking

Originally Posted by Spoon
There's always one weed that pipes up because they can't enter a discussion without resulting to putting on the keyboard ninja suit.
FPMSL

Touchdown and a great comeback

an amusing thread gets 4 stars

Last edited by Funkii Munkii; 18 May 2005 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Star upgrade :)
Old 19 May 2005, 08:04 AM
wazza2770
Scooby Regular

Spoon, Can I just offer a a few words in my defence...Poetic Licence. The words I printed on this thread are NOT the exact words I said, They are edited to get the point over. Sorry if the way i wrote it sounded a bit offish, but to get my point over in few words I tweeked them a little, but the idea was there.
This chap was speeding, he booted it where he could, he was forced to slow down where other vehicles restricted his progress, He was never tempted to do an inside overtake he held back and waited til he could go again. His driving was not in question. Just his speed. he however was saved from prosecution as I was unable to continue with a prosecution as his avarage was reduced to a cautionable level. And as he was a lawyer, if I were to prosecute his greater speeds with evidence on my video vascar that is avarage was so low, I would be critised in court. And chewed up and spat out. I am one of those Nice officers who does have common sense and discretion and give the benefit of doubt to those who deserve it. If he had been a yob and gobbed off as many do, I would probably have spent more time considering my options. But it is not one rule for one and another rule for others. We all should sing from the same song sheet. I can see now why you ranted off, its down to what i wrote and how i wrote it.
Can we have a truce now.
I totally agree with you, young officers do tend to talk down to drivers and talk Jibberish and B@ll@cks but us OLD F@rts have something else to offer..EXPERIENCE.
Like us Officers not wanting to tar every brush the same and every motorist the same, you too should consider not every Officer is the same. Can I ask After do you respect your Father and grandfather in thier roles as Officers of the law, or are you perhaps rebelling because they were who they were.

Gosh how we have gone off topic, this thread was uppose to be about Nice Officers and here we are having a go at each other.

Last edited by wazza2770; 19 May 2005 at 08:09 AM.
Old 19 May 2005, 10:34 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Can I ask After do you respect your Father and grandfather in thier roles as Officers of the law, or are you perhaps rebelling because they were who they were.
Wazza - You're out on bail.

My Father left the force to go into business in the early 70's and my Grandfather retired at a similar time, so it's a while back now. I am certainly not rebelling at my age, more disappointed in the standards of today I guess, as no doubt you are too. Also to be brutally honest I miss a good blast like I used to have before the days when speeding became public enemy number one and discretion was a lost art.
Gosh how we have gone off topic, this thread was uppose to be about Nice Officers and here we are having a go at each other.
It has gone off topic somewhat so apologies to the originator drjsd.

Ready for the next hymn?

Quick Reply: Friendly coppers