Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Postie Bonus!!

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2005, 01:22 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Postie Bonus!!

NO! Not a bonus for a healthy post count .....

The Postman is to get £1074 Bonus - but, the boss is getting ....

£3 MILLION - YES THREE MILLION POUNDS!!

That simply cannot be right?? Morally??

Pete
Old 17 May 2005, 01:27 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't they make £500,000,000 extra profit last year or something? They must be selling all the 'lost' ebay items down the car boot sales on a sunday. One of the last surviving industries that still counts sunday as a permanent day off. Anyone else has to work if it's too busy, but not the Post Office, ohhh noooo, far too much trouble. Our local one still shuts wednesday afternoons, WTF is all that about? Is it 1949? Bunch of slackers only have to work 9 til 5 the best of times.. Sheesh.
Old 17 May 2005, 01:30 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I think my local Postie should give me some of his bonus by way of some form compensation for me for all the suffering I've been through due him posting my business and private mail through the wrong doors during the last year, especially for all the times he has posted my mail through the letterbox of the empty house next door

No, actually, thinking about it I'd rather he paid for himself to go on an adult learners course where they teach you how to read 3" x 2" numbers that are nailed on front doors and match them to the corresponding numbers on letters
Old 17 May 2005, 01:31 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by pslewis

Pete
I really don't know Pete, pay me a £3 Million bonus and I will be better qualified to give objective feedback on this
Old 17 May 2005, 01:33 PM
Scoobydid
Scooby Regular

I don't think they should be getting a bonus untill they can get the post here in the morning, we never get ours until at least lunch time
Old 17 May 2005, 01:43 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

yep same here, 12-1 is when it turns up

but if you were sitting there making all that money what would you care
Old 17 May 2005, 01:54 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough I've recently noticed an improvement in our service which seems to be borne out by a general improvement at the Royal Mail. If Crozier has hit his objectives and is helping to turn the business round, then I have no objection to his bonuses being paid.
Old 17 May 2005, 02:04 PM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

I don't have many problems with my post apart from the occasional neighbour's letter tucked in with my stuff so I hope they enjoy themselves, I'm sure Crozier has plenty to enjoy!

But I wonder what the thousands of ex-employees that were made redundant recently think of it?!?
Old 17 May 2005, 02:06 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

I wondered how long it would take you to get on this case Pete
Old 17 May 2005, 03:16 PM
scoobyangel
Scooby Regular

i dont think my postie deserves a bonus... he is CRAP!!

mail gets here in the morning... granted... but often it isnt for this address, or is our mail being redelivered after going to a different address... reading seems to be his biggest downfall!!!

AND... the lazy git cant be bothered to walk to my front door to ring the bell to deliver packets... just chucks a card through the door EVERY time even though i am always home!!!

i didnt laugh much when i saw him stuck wheel spinning his van on a very steep cobbled hill the other day... getting very irrate he was and the wheels were smoking.... maybe he should of tried a little less gas!!!! LOL!!!!!
Old 17 May 2005, 03:47 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Do you people ever stop MOANING?! In fact, does anyone ever stop moaning. I'm a postman, and all I hear is moan moan moan.

OK, get up at 4:00am in the morning, start work at 5:00am, sort letters for 500+ houses, deliver them in all weather conditions and see how many mistakes YOU make. Also factor in that a lot of the postmen are doing rounds 'blind' that they don't know, people don't sign their houses correctly (I counted at least four houses this morning with no number or name up), and you have to agree it's not as easy as it first seems.

Also, go abroad and compare the price and service over there. Germany charges something like 90p for a first class letter.

I usually don't retaliate to this kind of thing, but Royal Mail just always sit back and take all the cr@p that's dished out.

People also always blame the postmen personally, when it's not necessarily their fault, and they talk to you like you're retarded.
Old 17 May 2005, 03:55 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

OK, get up at 4:00am in the morning, start work at 5:00am, sort letters for 500+ houses, deliver them in all weather conditions and see how many mistakes YOU make. Also factor in that a lot of the postmen are doing rounds 'blind' that they don't know, people don't sign their houses correctly (I counted at least four houses this morning with no number or name up), and you have to agree it's not as easy as it first seems.
PMSL

It's not exactly rocket science mate

Match the name and number on the envelope to the number on the door

It's sort of like hitting the square peg into the square hole when you were a kid

Got the idea ?
Old 17 May 2005, 03:58 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
PMSL

It's sort of like hitting the square peg into the square hole when you were a kid

Got the idea ?
I must be thick then.
Old 17 May 2005, 04:00 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
PMSL

Got the idea ?
PMSL..

It's akin to stacking shelves and making sure you don't put the Heinz beanz in with the Spaghetti Hoops.

Nothing wrong with doing it for a living but expect a hard time if you get it wrong. Besides my post was about the offices more than the posties. Then again, why can't you work sundays you lazy oiks?
Old 17 May 2005, 04:05 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Well Butkus it seems that unfortunately you're the exception rather than the norm. Mine usually comes between 1pm and 4pm most days.

Twice in the last year I've had cards put through the door saying "unable to deliver a parcel - you weren't in" whilst I've actually been sitting in the lounge working from home.

The first time I opened the door and the postie sheepishly admitted he hadn't bothered bringing it with him. He apologised and brought it round on the way home from his shift.

The second time (different postie - wearing running shorts) i opened the door to see him sprinting away, he was already at the end of the street and had turned the corner before I could shout.

These weren't heavy items either, just small stuff like DVDs in jiffy bags etc. I noticed there was a story about this in the papers last week so wrote a letter of complaint, since it's happening all over the country. I got a reply yesterday saying if I could supply exact dates/times they'd look into it. I didn't make a note of them so can't really persue it this time.

It's a bit rich to charge extra for a recorded/special delivery service, and not even bother delivering the parcels.
Old 17 May 2005, 04:07 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
PMSL..

It's akin to stacking shelves and making sure you don't put the Heinz beanz in with the Spaghetti Hoops.

Nothing wrong with doing it for a living but expect a hard time if you get it wrong. Besides my post was about the offices more than the posties. Then again, why can't you work sundays you lazy oiks?
They don't deliver on Sundays but the mail is being processed on a Sunday.

Your view of postmen being stupid is pretty typical. I get it all the time when dealing with customers, and particularly when delivering to firms. People are rude to you, are condescending, and just generally think of you like something they trod in.
Old 17 May 2005, 04:08 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the real world..

Everybody's got someone who thinks that of them..
Old 17 May 2005, 04:32 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
Welcome to the real world..

Everybody's got someone who thinks that of them..
And his name is normally P S Lewis
Old 17 May 2005, 04:36 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

My postman genuinely does make mistakes. I have 2 number signs on my door, one is in large white numerals (door is dark) at eye level, the other is a little above it. The empty house also has large numbers on the door. I run a business from here and cannot afford for important post which includes cheques being delivered to an empty house. I've caught him in the act once or twice and pulled him up on it, he said he gets confused I say if you get easily confused by the act of putting numbered letters through the door of the house with the corresponding number then you are in the wrong job.

I can't afford to make stupid mistakes like that in my business or it would soon go down the pan
Old 17 May 2005, 04:41 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I've considered having a no. plate made up for the door with the post code on it!
Old 17 May 2005, 05:28 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

Pete
Why not?

The "boss" carries the risk and responsibility.

The postmen carry the....well......post
Old 17 May 2005, 05:31 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diablo
Why not?

The "boss" carries the risk and responsibility.

The postmen carry the....well......post
and big dog's hanging off their arm
Old 17 May 2005, 07:07 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

can i just point out the postmasters and post office clerks are getting sweet fa. don't know if parcel farce are getting the bonus. what anoys me is that all the profits are from the combined 3 business yet only royal mail staff are getting the bonuses. afterall i think its post office ltd thats making the money . being a post master i work more hours(48hours per week) than postmen/women before any of there over time. and just to point the post office is still in the red and is going to take another 2 years before we are in the black

mickey the postmaster

Last edited by FASTER MIKE!!; 17 May 2005 at 07:20 PM.
Old 17 May 2005, 07:12 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Interestingly enough, our local sorting depot, is on strike this weekend, apparantly management signed up to a time & motion review, got the results and didnt like them so refused to go along... net result.. industrial action..

pity it wasnt 3 weeks ago !!!!

Mart
Old 17 May 2005, 07:22 PM
BEW
Scooby Regular

Is it an English trait to whinge or are all your services genuinely as bad as you lot try and make out?

I could nearly set my watch by our postie,parcels ALWAYS delivered and nothing springs to mind as being lost.

Ordered stuff recently from England on a Wednesday night and on my doorstep on Friday morning in N Ireland 3 weeks running.

Half time I think you lot make all this bollox up just to have something to post,chill out and watch Celebrity Love Island!
Old 17 May 2005, 07:36 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I lost 5 out of 6 DVD's just before Xmas the year before last, and my postie was genuinely concerned as he had been away and covered by a bloke he didn't care for. Only thing was, after his return I lost 3 of the 5 replacements. Confirms that it was most likely happening in the sorting offices P!$$es me off when you spot the casual ones, different one every day, no uniform. Lacks professionalism and is asking for mistakes and theft. If they could simply employ enough permanent full time staff I'm sure their quality of service would improve. When my firm started using agency staff the waste and downtime shot through the roof.
Old 17 May 2005, 08:07 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Im in North London and the postal service has seriously gone downhill. It's been pretty bad for the last couple of years but now it's atrocious. Profits are up for Royal Mail because my local postman leaves me or my neighbours to do the final sorting. I'll gladly pay an extra penny or whatever on the stamp price - just get it back to how it used to be!
Old 17 May 2005, 11:50 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

We've been here before, with a bash the postie thread, and it's very easy to do. Everyone knows someone who's lost mail in the "system". We've all had bad service from posties, neighbours mail, damaged items delivered, even me, and I'm a bloo*y manager!
The Royal Mail, who I work for, have had a massive turnaround over the last few years, and for this the staff have all been rewarded accordingly. Mr Crozier hasn't got a £3 mill bonus, that sum is including his £.5mill yearly wage, + other stuff he was inline to get anyway, and good luck to him. He has turned this company round, from the dinasour it once was, to the iguana it is now.
We face massive competition when we're deregulated in jan 06, when any company holding a licence from postcom can deliver your mail, lets see the complaints rise then!
As with other large staff based organisations, recruitment is one of our biggest problems. In some areas, where there is low unemployment, how do you get people to get up for work at 4am, as Butkus has too, go out in all weathers, deliver to people that are mostly condescending and patronising, and take home an ok wage? Not many takers for that sort of job 5 days a week.
Finally, jap2scrap, you have absolutely no idea the logistics that is behind the Royal Mail. We are a 24/7 365 day a year company. When you postie has finished saturday morning, and you post the reply to the junk mail you got back to "xxx mag special" , that is then collected, processed, moved around the country and then delivered on the following monday
chris. £1074 better off, thanks Royal Mail, its paying for my trip to Stelvio this year.
Old 17 May 2005, 11:59 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

When my mail gets to me before 2pm and it stops being stolen by casual staff (hapenned 6 times last year) then I'll agree on the cash for them.

My neighbour informed that in 2001 the mail came before 8am. It never gets here before 2pm now, and I live about 1/4 mile from the sorting office in one of the biggest built up areas in Europe.

Let's see how de-regulation makes a difference.

How can posting letters through a hole in a door be so hard?
Old 18 May 2005, 12:28 AM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

cw42, sorry but the service for me and family around this area has become atrocious. While others always knocked the Royal Mail in the past I used to sing it's praises. Not anymore. Late deliveries and misposted letters are a problem every other day. I've had the letters for several houses shoved through my door so many times and mine shoved through others.

Quick Reply: Postie Bonus!!