Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Where exactly are the Wiltshire M4 Cameras ?

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2005, 09:13 AM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where exactly are the Wiltshire M4 Cameras ?

Apologies if this is on the wrong thread. Gonna be doing the return trip once (possibly twice) in the next couple of weeks. Should I just be cautious approaching every bridge ? I can't remember if they were fixed or permanent.

Cheers.
Old 17 May 2005, 09:33 AM
FirebirdUK
Scooby Regular

There's a fixed one Westbound right by the Bath exit (J19) and a fixed one Eastbound between J18 and J19.

Dunno about the rest - I get off at 19 so miss out all the others...
Old 17 May 2005, 08:45 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Wherever they are, beware. My advice is be very careful near all junctions or in vicinity (one mile either side of) overbridges. Someone I spoke to recently said they know someone connected to the 'safety partnership' - and that apparently the cameras or devices are set to trigger at only 73MPH.
Old 17 May 2005, 09:14 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

The fixed ones near J19 are in roadworks. Roadworks used to be 50mph to protect the workforce. These are 40mph to make money for the scameras.

The ones that have been in the news recently between J14 and J18 are on bridges over the motorway, not sussed out which ones yet. Must dig out that big bag of B&Q bulk buy 2 inch nails and have a drive around the area......

Be careful on the M4 for a few weeks it's full of people crawling along at 69mph and staring at bridges instead of paying attention to the traffic. Road safety, yeah right.
Old 17 May 2005, 10:55 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

i noticed that too.... useless... I did find it was such an unpleasant experience having to watch my speed at 69 the whole way. Took any joy out of driving, and made everything seem more dangerous becuase you are scared to overtake or do anything
Old 17 May 2005, 10:56 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Went along both ways over the weekend.

I noticed that prior to a number of bridges over the motorway, there were several pairs of the square speed camera signs. 1st was about 1 to 3/4 mile from the bridge, the 2nd, typically planted just as the bridge came into view (all the signs were on slight bends).
I guess these are the bridges to watch out for (although I only saw one unmarked car parked-up attendending to a broken down car the whole trip).

I assume the camera vans only work in daylight hours?

Last edited by DaveD; 17 May 2005 at 10:59 PM.
Old 18 May 2005, 04:08 AM
drjsd
Scooby Regular

From a well informed source in the local constabulary, the cameras are set at limit plus 2mph plus 10% i.e.79mph, although I shall of course take no responsibility for anyone getting done at less than this, however the source is very reliable.

I still haven't seen one anywhere on the M4 yet, but still ain't gonna chance it. Unlike some of the guys you see flash past doing best part of a ton. It's got to be the most publicised scamera scheme in the country, so I wish them all the best in avoiding getting zapped...

And I bought a laser and camera detector last year and am still waiting to go past a van to see whether the bloody thing works. A catch 22 situation?!
Old 18 May 2005, 09:37 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

I went along a few weeks ago and virtually every half mile between Swindon and Bath, they have put or are putting sensor padss in the road, in both directions. They look like the DS2 type which normally have a car nearby with electronics box in it, to make them work. I'll wait to see what my Origin B2 makes of them when I go along on Monday. They were still installing themlast time. Double loop in each lane - looked like you could drive between them down the white line though

How much must it cost to do that ? £ millions I would think - 40 miles of power cable and truncking, plus cutting the loops in the road ?? What a waste of money and time - Wiltshire either had some money left over in the budget from last year, which they needed to spend quickly, or they got a bonus in the new budget
Old 19 May 2005, 04:48 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Default My M4 experiences

I commute from Bristol to Staines daily so historically have generally making steady progress along the M4

Since the TV announcements it seems hard to drive above 69 even if you wanted to as everyone is looking at bridges, as someone above pointed out

However, as well as the fixed 40MPH (!) cameras at J18, I have seen vans on bridges at various locations between J14 and J18. I now check every bridge and every exit slip road. Many of the bridges are foot bridges and cattle bridges, but better safe than sorry.

I was also tailgated into the 40MPH roadworks a week or so ago, a guy in a white van was right up my ar$e, when I noticed both the driver and passenger were white-shirted with yellow jackets on. On the dash was a device that looked like a camera. I suspect, but hope not, that this was a new moving speed measurement van, and that I might be getting a 50ish in a 40 notice shortly Ridiculous waste of time when there's a fixed camera there too, and I think it was outrageous that he was tailgating me as I was decelerating.

I've not heard of this before but some of the drivers around me were making gestures of rubbing fingers together at the van!

Anyhow fyi, watch out and fingers crossed!
Old 19 May 2005, 05:33 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Did a steady 80 down there and back last week (other than in the roadworks).. I was looking for evidence of cameras but other than the signs I was oblivious (and late, hence the non-compliance!).. Hopefully I won't be getting a thud on the doormat in the next few weeks.
Old 19 May 2005, 07:08 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Sorry, wasn't clear, although I've seen cameras many times, I've also made many trips without seeing any. They're not out all the time, just keen on showing a regular presence, I think.

Also in the dark, presumably they can't use the vans, at least I've never seen any, but have seen a lot more marked patrol cars cruising the section at 71mph and a couple of unmarked pulling people over...