Job dilema

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2005, 03:24 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Job dilema

Hi All

Ive got an interview in a week, and have a good foot in the door. I seriously think I could get the job and would more than likely accept.

Problem is:

Im on a 3 month notice period! How the hell do I get the knocked down.

2ndly I think there is a payback clause in my contract for training course expenses - Ive done a few quite pricey Microsoft courses - within the last few months. Are they seriously likely to bill me for 3000 in courses?

thanks

Andy
Old 13 May 2005, 03:30 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

suppose it depends on what terms you are leaving your current company on, if it ends friendly then they may let it slide, if not and they have that in writing then they may well exercise their right to bill you

regarding the 3 months, if thats in your contract then you may well have to work it. the only way I can see shortening that is if you had for instance 4 weeks holiday left, then you could take that against one month (ish) and only have 2 months notice left.

otherwise, good luck with the interview
Old 13 May 2005, 03:31 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

If you're good, the prosective employer will wait the three months. The reality is that you can usually get away sooner, especially if you apply holiday to it.
Old 13 May 2005, 03:32 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Some suggestions:

3 Month Notice Period

- Use all your holiday to knock it down
- Depends on your relationship with the company and your job, tirbunals have established in the past the a minumum of 1 week is sufficient even if your original contract says otherwise. They'd have to pursue you through the small claims court for breach of contract and any damages they felt they were owed.

Clawback agreements

- Notoriuosly difficult to implement, but it depends on the company. They may deduct it from your final salary - only other option is the small claims court again.

Whatever you decide, remember that many employers go back 5 years on references, so you may need to keep them fairly sweet for a while yet.

Plus, most prospective employers are ok (and often impressed) at the fact you don't want to shaft your current employer over your notice period - afterall, you may do it to them one day!

I was in a job I hated, and the 3 months notice were bloody awful - but I got a decent reference and that's what counts.

Good luck!
Old 13 May 2005, 03:54 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

in your contract - how much notice do your employers have to give you?