Working on a new website, would like some opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2005, 11:09 AM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working on a new website, would like some opinions please

Hi Guys,

I'm working on a new website and would like some input as to the layout and design, and any suggestions you might have.

As I'm reposting this, for the benifit of others, this site has been pretty much designed from the ground up and is not a tamplate!!!!!!

For the benifit of those who cannot view un-worksafe sites, and for the mods, this site contains a little nudity, HOWEVER it is NOT FULL FRONTAL OR TOPLESS/*****. It is simple a little naked flesh!!!

Mods: Please don't delete or move this thread, I am after genuine opinions and comments and have made ammendments to the design to make it accpetable to the majority

The site address is http://www.serialx.co.uk
Old 12 May 2005, 01:17 PM
King RA
BANNED

Old 12 May 2005, 01:44 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

its good, what did you want opinions on tho ?

I think the navigation should be across the screen top but below the banner/website logo. thats IMHO of course
Old 12 May 2005, 02:14 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul-s
its good, what did you want opinions on tho ?

I think the navigation should be across the screen top but below the banner/website logo. thats IMHO of course
Hi Thanks,

Well I am interested on people opinions of the layout and design, such as where things have been placed, the images and themes I have used and created to make the sites layout etc, and any suggestions of improvement and/or features which would work well with the overall theme.
Old 12 May 2005, 02:27 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

nice looking site, but don't like having a seperate window opening when you click on an image.
would rather it opens in the same window, then click to go back, or next or thumbs.
chris.
Old 12 May 2005, 02:43 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
nice looking site, but don't like having a seperate window opening when you click on an image.
would rather it opens in the same window, then click to go back, or next or thumbs.
chris.
Ok I've edited some of the backend code to make a change in how the images are linked thought my backend system

now when you see the 6 images (2 rows of 3) the very first image will open in the same window and the others in a new window. I would be interested on what people prefer to see! have a look and try and let me know if you think images should open in a new window or the same window, if same window, do you think it should just be the image that loads or should I create like a display page that centres the image and has some of the website content visable too?
Old 12 May 2005, 02:50 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

nice one, prefer opening in same window, then just click "back"
chris.
Old 12 May 2005, 03:01 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

She really wants to put that seat up first and face the right way.
Old 12 May 2005, 03:21 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wiltshire_boy
She really wants to put that seat up first and face the right way.
LOL, you know what, didn't even realise what she was sitting on
Old 12 May 2005, 04:31 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

As a website , its not ringing any bells for me. Regardless of content. And to just press home the fact that its the design not the content that is switching me off...here is my other half's website for you to peruse. http://www.differentlight.co.uk/index.html
I'm not saying its better or worse, just putting it there for comparison for you.
BTW, he'd probably be happy to discuss if you want to.

Could I also point out that by digging into this website, you WILL come across some nudity and if you are easily offended by this type of thing, then heed the warning.
Old 12 May 2005, 04:36 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apparition
As a website , its not ringing any bells for me. Regardless of content. And to just press home the fact that its the design not the content that is switching me off...here is my other half's website for you to peruse. http://www.differentlight.co.uk/index.html
I'm not saying its better or worse, just putting it there for comparison for you.

Could I also point out that by digging into this website, you WILL come across some nudity and if you are easily offended by this type of thing, then heed the warning.
Hmm interesting site, not slating it but personally i cannot stand frontpage what so ever and avoid it at all costs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12 May 2005, 04:47 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep good comparison, that website looks so amateur compared the one posted in the first post.
Old 12 May 2005, 08:33 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EvilKyote
I'm working on a new website and would like some input as to the layout and design, and any suggestions you might have.
Yeah, don't include any of the old boilers from the 'different light' site, and you can't go too far wrong. I mean... for the love of God, will someone please tell me that 'Nivea' isn't taking a dump in the woods.....

Old 12 May 2005, 09:14 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

They are both amateurish, unattractive websites.

Get some ideas from

www.boxedart.com
www.templatemonster.com

Look under the fashion category for example.
Old 12 May 2005, 09:17 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Also a tip for www.differentlight.co.uk, you shouldnt really advertise photographs of babies along with glamour and nude photography, the two don't really mix and most professional studios would never place the two on the same page.

Last edited by KiwiGTI; 12 May 2005 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12 May 2005, 10:21 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Well thank you for your comments. I really didin't expect you to be quite so rude though.
I'm NOT going to show these comments to my husband. He'd not give a toss about them but he's put in a lot of blood sweat and tears to both build the website and our studio. Not to mention the financial outlay.
KIWI - We are showing all types of photographs that it's possible to take in our studio. The baby is my grandchild, we had total permission to use him along side the models. The models are the nicest people, and they too have no problem with the juxta positioning of their pics alongside his. Maybe , we are breaking new ground?
DIESELDOG- Your comments in particular were pretty derogatory about Nivea. I hope to goodness she doesn't get to see them. What's your problem? Why the nastiness? Whatever have we or she done to you to bring that on?
EvilKoyote - Thanks for your comments. I'm not sure what Frontapge is, I guess its a format for building websites. I purely and simply put DFL up for you to compare since you seemed unsure of how yours looked. It was meant entirely from an aesthetic point of view and not a technical one.
ChristianR - Can't see much difference myself re amateurishness or not. I look at things and either like them or no. To me, there doesn't appear much difference between them.

Anyone else who wants to take a pop.......... Don't, you're only letting Scoobynet down.
Old 12 May 2005, 10:40 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Sorry if you find it offensive, but having worked in the mainstream fashion photographic industry I have high standards for websites and they can be made to look attractive with very little effort.

Secondly it is extremely common in the industry that studios/photographers that photograph children never combine that with glamour. Just a suggestion, but most people I know with families would definately hesitate to go to a photographer that advertises both.

I thought Nivea looked quite good.
Old 12 May 2005, 10:47 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dieseldog
Yeah, don't include any of the old boilers from the 'different light' site, and you can't go too far wrong. I mean... for the love of God, will someone please tell me that 'Nivea' isn't taking a dump in the woods.....

if she had a good bath and a scrub up i think she would be do-able
Old 13 May 2005, 09:08 AM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
They are both amateurish, unattractive websites.

Get some ideas from

www.boxedart.com
www.templatemonster.com

Look under the fashion category for example.
Thanks for the comments kiwi, I have no intention of wanting to make the site look like some corporate image type by using a template from some site. Having said that i'll have a more in depth look at some of those for a few idea's. At the moment the site i'm working on is the first layout/design i've done for this site, some things might change some might not.

Apperition: Frontpage is a web design package package which is made by microsoft. Don't take this the wrong way but if your hubby used a proper and decent web design package he could make an absolute top notch website. As I work in the web hosting industry and have been designing websites on and off for over 10 years, but not in a professional capacity, it's more of a hobby which I can often incorporate into my work. I'd suggest if your hubby isn't so much of a coder, by that i mean coding websites by writing all the HTML himself, then a very good package is Macromedia Dreamweaver MX.

Thanks for the comments everyone, keep em coming, i'm making notes
Old 13 May 2005, 09:47 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Evil : He has mentioned Dreamweaver. I think quite honestly, he had to get this website up and "live"? very quickly because of all the work entailed building the studio, he had to do that virtually single handed, since silly old me ( who was down to help) went and slipped a disc and was laid out for 4 months at the most crucial time.

KIWI : I Don't find anything offensive. Thanks for your comments. We are opening this studio for ANYONE to use. This means one day a commercial photographer might be photographing tins of beans, next day it might be some one doing a family portrait and the day after a glamour shoot. No way would we be booking any of those in on the same day. As each booking is taken, they have exclusive use of the studio/s and never the twain shall meet so to speak. The studio is kept clean and tidy (I see to that in my Mrs mop guise), we have seen this successfully done elsewhere and talking to a broad spectrum of people, we feel there's a niche for us.
Put it this way, we have laid out an awful lot of wonga on this project so we need it to work.
Sorry for stealing some of your thunder Evil !

Stickymicky : Ignored.
Old 13 May 2005, 11:03 AM
03-CTR
Scooby Regular

Evil : He has mentioned Dreamweaver. I think quite honestly, he had to get this website up and "live"? very quickly because of all the work entailed building the studio, he had to do that virtually single handed, since silly old me ( who was down to help) went and slipped a disc and was laid out for 4 months at the most crucial time.

KIWI : I Don't find anything offensive. Thanks for your comments. We are opening this studio for ANYONE to use. This means one day a commercial photographer might be photographing tins of beans, next day it might be some one doing a family portrait and the day after a glamour shoot. No way would we be booking any of those in on the same day. As each booking is taken, they have exclusive use of the studio/s and never the twain shall meet so to speak. The studio is kept clean and tidy (I see to that in my Mrs mop guise), we have seen this successfully done elsewhere and talking to a broad spectrum of people, we feel there's a niche for us.
Put it this way, we have laid out an awful lot of wonga on this project so we need it to work.
Sorry for stealing some of your thunder Evil !

Stickymicky : Ignored.
i think the theory is ok but reckon the problem (for me anyway) is that the website has a menu where you can openly see glamour shots with naked and sexually suggestive posing. then on the homepage you have young children and glamour shots on the same screen.

personally i would have a graphic on the homepage and then separate, dedicated menus for the various options i.e. bikes, kids, families, glamour , misc etc. with a warning page preceding the glamour page advising of the nudity etc.

just a personal opinion but to me, having sex and kids on the same page would put me off what is probably a very professional outfit

best of luck all the same.
Old 13 May 2005, 11:07 AM
03-CTR
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments everyone, keep em coming, i'm making notes
not really into asian women but the site looked good. only (minor) problem i had with it was the centre panel. there is a lot of info on the page, which requires scrolling, but you have to move your mouse off the page in order to do this.

a bit of a pedantic thing i know but a scrollable pane would be more user friendly
Old 13 May 2005, 12:02 PM
thundertiger
Scooby Regular

i think the site is cool.

that chinky bird would get it...

we are breaking new ground?
..and a few mirrors too...

BB
Old 13 May 2005, 12:38 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

hehe. I'm just working on some new graphics to replace some of the ones on there, decided i don't like those borders so much anymore.
Old 13 May 2005, 01:05 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Right i've updated the designs, what do you think?
Old 13 May 2005, 01:06 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

hehe. I'm just working on some new graphics to replace some of the ones on there, decided i don't like those borders so much anymore.
At the risk of being picky, i've just noticed a spelling mistake on the copyright notice page.

Last line of the first section (Website Content) - "persued to the fullest extent possible" should read "pursued to the fullest extent possible"
Old 13 May 2005, 01:09 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Right i've updated the designs, what do you think?
New header looks very good but i'm not sure about the navigation menu - I think I preferred it (menu only) as it was
Old 13 May 2005, 01:09 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kelvin
At the risk of being picky, i've just noticed a spelling mistake on the copyright notice page.

Last line of the first section (Website Content) - "persued to the fullest extent possible" should read "pursued to the fullest extent possible"

Corrected
Old 13 May 2005, 03:45 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kelvin
New header looks very good but i'm not sure about the navigation menu - I think I preferred it (menu only) as it was
in what way do you not like the new navigation menu?
Old 13 May 2005, 04:20 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

O3-CTR ~ Thanks for those coments. Sorry Evil for once again hi-jacking your thread.
I'll pass those comments along to he who must be obeyed and see if we can't implemet them. Pretty obvious solution really, but sometimes these things are too close to see

Quick Reply: Working on a new website, would like some opinions please