Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The lost art of overtaking????

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2005, 08:34 AM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The lost art of overtaking????

Something i've noticed over the last year or so is that nobody seems to overtake slower moving traffic anymore,people are quite happy to sit inches behind a car that is doing say 40mph in a 60 zone even when there is no oncoming traffic for miles on a dead straight stretch of road. Whats that all about????

And even more bizarre is the way people feel the need to flash you if you do dare to overtake them,normally accompanied by a friendly hand gesture , you go past them not breaking the "speed limit" leaving them plenty of room and not cutting back in suddenly in front of them.

If i remember correctly from my driving lessons and the highway code if it is safe to overtake then it is perfectly legal,and as for driving at 40 in a 60 zone you'd have failed your test for that,unless you were held up in traffic.

Feel free to comment and correct me if it has become illegal to overtake on a single carraigeway with no oncoming traffic and a good line of sight ahead,it's just the amount of abuse you get for doing so is starting to make me wonder.Could be that i'm alone in getting these strange reactions but i have a feeling i'm probably not
Old 12 May 2005, 08:38 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Sod em. And don't look in your rear view mirror for the flash, because they are history, and play no further part in your life.
Old 12 May 2005, 08:44 AM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

You're not alone.

I find a good solution is to slam your brakes on and then do 20mph for about 5 miles. The hand gestures and light flashing do initially intesify until weary resignation finally sets in (especially after the 10th failed overtaking attempt due to a gently pressing of my throttle in second).

Last edited by FrenchBoy; 12 May 2005 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12 May 2005, 08:48 AM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FrenchBoy
You're not alone.

I find a good solution is to slam your brakes on and then do 20mph for about 5 miles. The hand gestures and light flashing do initially intesify until weary resignation finally sets in (especially after the 10th failed overtaking attempt due to a gently pressing of the my throttle in second).

Thats the same solution i've used a few times
Old 12 May 2005, 08:49 AM
Big Vern
Scooby Regular

I agree and have suffered the same insults on completing what in my opinion was a perfectly safe overtaking manoeuvre. I'm a member of the Institue of Advanced Motorists and whilst I never consider myself perfect, neverthless I've a reputastion to maintain, if not a no claims bonus on a very expensive insurance policy!Most drivers fail to undertand the power of a Scoob and probably feel intimidated when we are able to overtake a line of cars.
Old 12 May 2005, 08:51 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

All part of the modern nutcrunching mantra which is that no one else is allowed to do anything that the nutcruncher feels he is unable to do!

Of couse we are perfectly entitled to overtake a slower vehicle in a safe and legal manner, so what Bubba said!

Les
Old 12 May 2005, 09:03 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It always used to be understood that if yoyu did not wish to overtake then you were expected to leave sufficient of a gap for an overtaking car to use while moving along the line. This was stated in the highway code and was designed for "staircasing" drivers as they put it.

The attitude now of course is that no one wants to be overtaken under any circumstance.

Les
Old 12 May 2005, 09:05 AM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

Thats what i thought to les,good old highway code,must have gone out of the same window as the green cross code and manners
Old 12 May 2005, 09:05 AM
ChrisB

To be honest, now I rack up my miles in my TDI trac'or (get orffff my land!), I can't remember the last time I got flashed post overtake. Managed to get 8 cars all in one go the otherday coming out of a 30 limit - weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 12 May 2005, 09:11 AM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
To be honest, now I rack up my miles in my TDI trac'or (get orffff my land!), I can't remember the last time I got flashed post overtake. Managed to get 8 cars all in one go the otherday coming out of a 30 limit - weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
People like you make me sick! You're a danger to yourself and other roadusers. You should be banned for life or better still locked up.

How dare you enjoy yourself driving while everyone else drives around like selfish zombified cattle!

I blame labour.

Last edited by FrenchBoy; 12 May 2005 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12 May 2005, 09:12 AM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

pmsl
Old 12 May 2005, 09:13 AM
ChrisB

Sorry. That's me off to the Gulag then
Old 12 May 2005, 09:23 AM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Tell me about it! Agree with above. Problem too, is, if you go to overtake several, you've got to be careful one doesn't pull out as you go past, usually with no indication.
Happened to a friend of mine.
I always use a long headlamp flash, not horn, as a warning. That upsets some too, why? I'm informing them.
Then, if you do overtake some, it seems to wake others up and they then follow you, often when not safe!
Now too, not only do you have to tackle the overtake but keep alert for scameras of all types because often it is safer to "stretch" the limit during the overtake.
Oh, I hate those streams of nose to tail at 50/55 mph folks.
Old 12 May 2005, 10:17 AM
thundertiger
Scooby Regular

I'm a member of the Institue of Advanced Motorists
so you know the stopping distance of an unladen african swallow in the wet.

does this make you immune to accidents?

why do people sit behind titles/accredations??

i'm not having a go, just curious

BB (GSE MSC CCNE XR3)
Old 12 May 2005, 10:26 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by thundertiger

BB (GSE MSC CCNE XR3)
XR3?!?!!?

U Barsteward!!

I agree with what is being said about Overtaking. If I'm traveling slower than someone behind me in the Scooby I have no problem if they want to get by me (even if they're in a rep mobile- it's not a competition afterall) as long as they do it safely and considerately. Now, If I can let phototcopy salesman number 20000967 past me when he's in a hurry and not sulk, make stupid gestures and/or try and retaliate with dangerous driving, they why can't they extend me the same favour!?!?

This is where having a high performance diesel comes into its own. Go past a line of traffic in a 330D and people might call you a "BM tosser" but they won't feel the need to try and prove that your car is "not that fast really" cause they won't identify it as a performance car. Do the same in a Scooby and watch what happens!

NS04
Old 12 May 2005, 10:27 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thundertiger
so you know the stopping distance of an unladen african swallow in the wet.

does this make you immune to accidents?
He siad himself that having the qualification did not result in him considering himself infallible

why do people sit behind titles/accredations??

i'm not having a go, just curious

BB (GSE MSC CCNE XR3)
Getting additional driver training is to be applauded IMHO, it aids road safety and it is quite an eye opener

OllyK (IAM, Cat B, Cat C, Cat C+E, DROPs Ops)
Old 12 May 2005, 10:29 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Do the same in a Scooby and watch what happens!

NS04
They usually dissapear out of view very rapidly - what's your point?
Old 12 May 2005, 10:34 AM
AvalancheS8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vegescoob
Problem too, is, if you go to overtake several, you've got to be careful one doesn't pull out as you go past, usually with no indication.
Happened to a friend of mine
It's happened to me too, £3.5k damage to the Scoob, ended up being judged my fault as I had hit the back over the other car. Now very careful to be sure I have been seen and avoid overtaking several cars in one go if possible. If I do have to I turn on the headlights before pulling out.
Old 12 May 2005, 10:46 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AvalancheS8
It's happened to me too, £3.5k damage to the Scoob, ended up being judged my fault as I had hit the back over the other car. Now very careful to be sure I have been seen and avoid overtaking several cars in one go if possible. If I do have to I turn on the headlights before pulling out.
You'd be better off using your horn - if the dopey sod isn't looking in their mirror before they pull out, lights aren't going to make a jot of difference!
Old 12 May 2005, 10:50 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I agree with the sentiments expressed here and suspect that there are interesting parallels between this thread and the following:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=426330
Old 12 May 2005, 11:01 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by OllyK
They usually dissapear out of view very rapidly - what's your point?
True, but then sods law dictates that shortly after you will run into some trafic lights which willl be followed by much gesticulating and shouting. A strategy I find quite useful is to display a sticker in the back window that says

"Actually I DO own the road"!!

I agreee that taking advanced driver training is to be applauded. Of course it doesn't mean that you'll be immune to accidents, but if it opens your eyes to the fact that as good as you think you may be, there is always room for improvement that -in itself- is a valuable lesson.

NS04
Old 12 May 2005, 11:05 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
True, but then sods law dictates that shortly after you will run into some trafic lights which willl be followed by much gesticulating and shouting. A strategy I find quite useful is to display a sticker in the back window that says

"Actually I DO own the road"!!

I agreee that taking advanced driver training is to be applauded. Of course it doesn't mean that you'll be immune to accidents, but if it opens your eyes to the fact that as good as you think you may be, there is always room for improvement that -in itself- is a valuable lesson.

NS04
I certainly found the IAM taught me how falible I am rather than me thinking I was a better driver. I think the biggest thing I got out of the IAM is observation, it really is the key, and so few people seem to practice it, looking little more than a few feet beyond their bonnet.
Old 12 May 2005, 11:21 AM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Imho, the current car test should limit you to say, 75bhp, (can still do a lot of damage with that).I know that if I'd got my hands on a Scoob in my teens I might not still be here!
Then a test to IAM standard for unlimited.
Retests max 5years.

Do I need my flamesuit?
Old 12 May 2005, 11:24 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vegescoob
Imho, the current car test should limit you to say, 75bhp, (can still do a lot of damage with that).I know that if I'd got my hands on a Scoob in my teens I might not still be here!
Then a test to IAM standard for unlimited.
Retests max 5years.

Do I need my flamesuit?
Nope, I'll shake your hand sir!
Old 12 May 2005, 11:25 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Retests for all drivers would be unmanageable, don't think its necessary though, let traffic cops deal with poor driving as they used to. Heavy penalties would do more than retests where the bad driver would immediately lapse into his bad habits as he drove out of the test centre.

Les
Old 12 May 2005, 11:35 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Retests for all drivers would be unmanageable, don't think its necessary though, let traffic cops deal with poor driving as they used to. Heavy penalties would do more than retests where the bad driver would immediately lapse into his bad habits as he drove out of the test centre.

Les
Ahh you mean the highly effective big stick approach, a bit like speed cameras?

Yes we need more traffic cops out there, absolutely agree with that, but without targets for prosecution, only targets to reduce road casualty figures.

Graded tests (a bit like for bikes) is a good way to ensure that a driver is maintaining the more important good habits and has advanced as you would expect haveing past thier initial test (as you know, once you have passed the test is when you really start to learn).

A Motorway test is essential, as a learner you are not allowed on the Motorway, but having passed a test not including them, you can now safetly drive on a motorway

Drivers need to be encouraged to strive to become better drivers. Waving big sticks about will produce nervous drivers lookign out for the big stick rather than focusing on the road ahead and being a good driver.

While re-testing "everybody" in a short time frame is not practical, I don't see why it shouldn't be mandatory following any kind of driving conviction and why we couldn't select random samples to be re-tested.
Old 12 May 2005, 11:50 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes Olly, I did say "like they used to" where they were prepared to use their own good judgement whether a short lecture was good enough to encourage better driving or booking the driver for serious offences or intransigence.

If you have no penalties then many people will not feel the need to take any notice with respect to driving dangerously or without care and attention.

Les
Old 12 May 2005, 11:59 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Yes Olly, I did say "like they used to" where they were prepared to use their own good judgement whether a short lecture was good enough to encourage better driving or booking the driver for serious offences or intransigence.

If you have no penalties then many people will not feel the need to take any notice with respect to driving dangerously or without care and attention.

Les
Sure, but is a financial penalty the best way to correct a behaviour? Personally I think the behaviour itself needs to be addressed, fine, fine them as well and use that to fund the behaviour correction. At the end of the day you want people to be driving in a safe manner, not for them to be financially bancrupt.
Old 12 May 2005, 12:00 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

My last post on this thread. I think that what is getting to me in this country is the way that legislation and regulation seems to be on a lowest common denominator principle. Aimed at dealing with incompetent Muppets and not accepting that WE AREN'T ALL MUPPETS (Hutch dwellers excepted).
That's not a rant but a considered opinion.

Quick Reply: The lost art of overtaking????