Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DRIVING...NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE..?

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2005, 08:29 AM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRIVING...NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE..?

Is it just me or do you think all the fun has gone out of driving now?I do about 350 miles a week and its just an exercise in camera dodging,speed trap spotting and being treated like a armed blagger if you do anything wrong behind the wheel.
Not gonna go all misty eyed here but,used to go out and about at the night,mooching to new places on the map,meeting people and any excuse to drive to Wales for fish and chips.
Now i cant abide going out in the car after 6pm...All my mileage now is "neccesity(SP)"..
Already have 6 points because of being 12 mph over the limit collectively on 2 occasions,half way to a ban...its a joke..
Is it me or are people feelin much the same?
Old 11 May 2005, 08:42 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Agree 110%. Tootling along of a summer's morning at 50/60 along a country road and then suddenly a 30 limit has been imposed and you're crawling along at thirty-two-bloody-miles-per-hour with not a soul in sight. Or urban areas - 30 then 40 then camera then 50 then 30 then bloody uniform with hair dryer. Can't even have a couple of drinks to calm the nerves these days DL
Old 11 May 2005, 09:50 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Behold! The governments plan to get people out of there cars!
Behold! They way they intend to make driving as unpleasent as possible to discourage people from driving.
Behold! The way this has been going for more or less a decade now!
Behold! They way its not going to get any better, only worse!
Behold! The reason why I sneak out at 1 am and have an "Enthusiastic" drive down specially prepared routes where I know there are no cameras and no speed traps (cos the old bill rely on cameras for late night traffic prosecutions)
astraboy.
Old 11 May 2005, 10:09 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Recently busted for doing 43 in a 40 - On a dual carriageway through an industrial estate. No schools, houses parks etc for a few miles.

I just wish as much effort had been put into the scum that burgled me last year.
Old 11 May 2005, 10:16 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Recently busted for doing 43 in a 40 - On a dual carriageway through an industrial estate. No schools, houses parks etc for a few miles.

I just wish as much effort had been put into the scum that burgled me last year.
43.... your having a larf aint' you? On some car speedo's you could make that difference with your seating position.
Old 11 May 2005, 10:21 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
43.... your having a larf aint' you? On some car speedo's you could make that difference with your seating position.
Wish i was!, that was the speed on the NIP and that is what i was done for.

3 points £ 60.00 and a bad taste in my mouth.

What really pisses me off is that speeding seems to be the only evil on our streets.
Bad driving and dangerous vehicles seem to be ignored unless breaking the speed limit, how else would they come to the Police's attention as the number of traffic Police has been reduced and replaced with Scameras.

Yes i know that is an over simplification but it is sadly true.

IMHO It is just about revinue generation, if it reduces casualties then all well and good.
Old 11 May 2005, 10:24 AM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Been considering buying a helicoptor seems its the best way to travel
Old 11 May 2005, 10:32 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

To get done for 43 is a 40 is a $%^&*$£ disgrace!! It so easy to creep 3 mpg over the limit. I'd like to see the stats on how many accidents are being caused by drivers constantly looking for vans, bikes, gatso's and watching their speedos! Even when you now your under the limit, its hard to switch offf and not look for these things.
Old 11 May 2005, 10:37 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

I thought it had to be 40mph plus 10%= 44 That copper must have been having a bad day
Cheers
Colin
Old 11 May 2005, 10:52 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoob99
I thought it had to be 40mph plus 10%= 44 That copper must have been having a bad day
Cheers
Colin
I believe that is the guideline, you can however be prosecuted for any amount over the limit assuming they can prove the detection equipment is acurate enough. Mind you, that hasn't been much of an issue in the past either, the fact the the police are using it seems to be good enough.

As a side issue though, if they say 43mph and are to be believed, your speedo must have been showing at least 43mph and more likely getting on for 50mph. I know my Scoob overreads by about 7 mph cf. a GPS. On that basis you "should" have been aware you were pushing it a bit. Still think given a good copper in a car in the old days and they would have let that go as a discresionary based on what you have said - ho hum!
Old 11 May 2005, 10:58 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I glanced down at my speedo as a saw the scam van (as you do) and it showed 45-46mph and i braked after checking my mirrors.

Next time i will just slam on the brakes in that situation if i am not sure of my speed or who is behind me.

Before anyone says 'you should alway know how fast you are going' - People and glass houses and i doubt if there is anybody on here who has not broken a speed limit. Incidentally i never ever speed around town and and i am usually well under the limit 20ish around parks and schools, etc.
Old 11 May 2005, 11:10 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Before anyone says 'you should alway know how fast you are going'
I disagree on a safety perspective - knowing your actual speed is not important. Knowing you can stop safetly however is, and to do that, you are better off looking out the wind screen and looking at what is going on.
Old 11 May 2005, 11:26 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by OllyK
I disagree on a safety perspective - knowing your actual speed is not important. Knowing you can stop safetly however is, and to do that, you are better off looking out the wind screen and looking at what is going on.
Olly i agree.
I had my 2 y/o daughter in the back (in her proper car seat) of the car and my pregant partner in the front. We where on a straight flat dual carriageway bright, dry, sunny winters day, the road was clear apart form say 4 other cars.
I was doing 45mph according to my speedo and safe as houses on a 3 month old hire car.

For example
I was abused by a Pik1e at a filling station because he thought i had 'beaten' him to a pump, he was queing two pumps down when it became free, anyway, i advised him to go away before i gave him a good hiding in front of his partner and young child and he was cussing back to his Transit, i followed him and asked him to repeat what he was saying, he refused and walked off.
The transit was H reg, full of holes/rust. No Tax, three bald tryres, one i could see the canvas through. young, say 3-4 y/o kid loose in the front along with a female without her seatbelt on, yelling at the kid. I did call the Police to report this joker before he injured others or his family but i wonder if a mobile scamera trap would have done the same, i doubt it. Traffic Police chances are would have + being able to rely on the good will of the public.

Well, my good will is running a bit thin these days.

Cameras are not the answer.

Last edited by The Zohan; 11 May 2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11 May 2005, 11:48 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Can't believs that they would book you for 43 in a 40. What happened to the 10% + 2 as recommended by ACPO, and that was to allow for errors in their own equipment too.

It would almost have been worth going in front of the magistrates for that one and pointing all this out. Its already been shown that laser devices are not that accurate anyway. A letter to the Chief Constable might have helped too, especially if he was reminded of the importance of maintaning the best relationship with the general public and the motorist.

I think you were cheated by the so called safety camera partnership this time.

Les
Old 11 May 2005, 11:58 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I still find travelling a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Thats the whole reason I bought my first and then my second scooby because driving realyl is a pleasure. I love the 0-60's from lights or that power down off the roundabout leaving the 330i behind with ease. I love the "twisties" - especially the ones I know well. I love the looks I get from pedestrians admiring the car and the waves from other scoobs, evo's and other car enthusiasts.
I care not for the Speed Camera's as I rarely exceed the limit. When I do I am aware enough to spot them. If I'm a couple of mph over, I can just ease off the throttle by a tweak of a nats chuff and I'm under in plenty of time.
Touch wood, I have no points on my license and I havent been involved in as a victim or a witness of an accident in many many years. I dont spend more than 20mins a day in standing traffic...I can happily afford petrol costs as they are or if they rise...
So all in all driving remains an absolute pleasure... Happy Days!!!
Old 11 May 2005, 12:12 PM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by Leslie
Can't believs that they would book you for 43 in a 40. What happened to the 10% + 2 as recommended by ACPO, and that was to allow for errors in their own equipment too.

It would almost have been worth going in front of the magistrates for that one and pointing all this out. Its already been shown that laser devices are not that accurate anyway. A letter to the Chief Constable might have helped too, especially if he was reminded of the importance of maintaning the best relationship with the general public and the motorist.

I think you were cheated by the so called safety camera partnership this time.

Les
10% + 2 is a guideline there is a camera very near to me which is set to 30mph, I know, I triggered it at 32 in the dead of night and lost my licence (totting up) for 6 months. The police/scameras do not set the limits, the local council do.
Old 11 May 2005, 12:23 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

I glanced down at my speedo as a saw the scam van (as you do) and it showed 45-46mph and i braked after checking my mirrors.

Next time i will just slam on the brakes in that situation if i am not sure of my speed or who is behind me.
43 is stupid.....but...you dont need to check mirrors and/or slam on brakes to slow by 3mph.
Old 11 May 2005, 05:47 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

I got done for 37 in a 30 and 35 in a 30..on both occasions on a Sunday night,with no traffic on open sided A roads..Its a joke...Its the reality we live in tho...I really would prefer to pay £150 fine and not have the points..with our trade policy running at close to £3000 i can ill afford to be hiking up the points.
If there "HAS" to be points surely some kind of sliding scale would be more appropriate...ie 0-5mph over 1 point,5-10mph over 2 points,10+mph over 3 points etc etc..

I cant believe im sayin it myself but drivin has become tedious,what was once my passion is just a ballache that i have to do..

Ive owned Cosworths,evo's,impreza's,intergrales,Alpina Bmw's,Skylines,to mention a few,so it certainly aint the hardware that im growing tired of..Just need a jolt of enthusiasm from somewhere i reckon..that could cost another 6 points tooooo easily tho!!!!!
Old 11 May 2005, 07:05 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

I agree wholeheartedly with all the above, but I do get very annoyed with people who drive EXCESSIVELY above the speed limit.
Our village high street crosses the A15 and there are clear 40MPH signs either side of this junction on the A15. The same applies at the two villages down from us.
People are very careful to follow the prescribed limit at these villages but not ours, they continue to blind along at whatever speed they please. This makes leaving our high street to either cross or join the A15 tantamount to attempted suicide.
Reason for this ? No speed camera at our village junction but one each at the other two.
So you can see, from a local's point of view, they do have their uses, these damned cameras!
Old 11 May 2005, 07:16 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

The day will come when there is a major incidant, and many fatalitys occur, many innocent people will be killed, and upon investigation the following will come to light.

" i braked hard because i saw a mobile camera unit, because they are intimidating, i thought i had better make sure i was well below the limit as you dont know how accurate your own speedo is, and you never know what limit the camera,s are at"

when further questioned about what traffic was followoing the accused replied.

" given all the scameras and talivans around, you darent take you eyes off the road in front, as you never know where they are, they have a habit of hiding on the sides of bridges, or behind bus shelters."

i rekon by the end of this year on a a major motorway!

Mart
Old 11 May 2005, 09:40 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just been down to the coast today in the MX5, best fun car money can buy!

Top down, heater on (it was slightly cold! )

Parked on the beach and sat in the sun with a picnic, drove back over the downs - stopped in the trees and had a picnic tea ............ all done in a car which is as chuckable as a Go-Kart and as much fun!!

No need to break the speed limit to enjoy driving - buy an MX5 and put driving pleasure back into your life!! You will NOT look back!! (Keep the Scooby for the work ... but get a real driving machine for the fun!)

Pete
Old 11 May 2005, 10:30 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by mart360
The day will come when there is a major incidant, and many fatalitys occur, many innocent people will be killed, and upon investigation the following will come to light.

" i braked hard because i saw a mobile camera unit, because they are intimidating, i thought i had better make sure i was well below the limit as you dont know how accurate your own speedo is, and you never know what limit the camera,s are at"

when further questioned about what traffic was followoing the accused replied.

" given all the scameras and talivans around, you darent take you eyes off the road in front, as you never know where they are, they have a habit of hiding on the sides of bridges, or behind bus shelters."

i rekon by the end of this year on a a major motorway!

Mart
LOL, if this was irony then v.good. If this an honest non-ironic prediction then what a crock of sheeeeeeeite... Lets hope it was irony and you're trying to emulate Mr B. Elton
Old 11 May 2005, 11:13 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
LOL, if this was irony then v.good. If this an honest non-ironic prediction then what a crock of sheeeeeeeite... Lets hope it was irony and you're trying to emulate Mr B. Elton
i wish it was...

it will happen,

prehaps you dont appreciate invasion of you life,

tell you what we,ll place arbitary cams around you house / garden / work ,

you work out the limits, and youve only got 4 attempts...

if you dont belive me,,,, there are two stretches of road i travel regularly..

both are dc.. one at 40 one at 30 ??? dc = nat speed limit...

everyone goes through the cams at 25 & 35 WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because WE dont KNOW what the cam is set to

39??? 40?? 40.5 ??? 41??

the cam has it easy... anything outside its range bang!!!!

no .5, .6, +-10% it just carries on regrdless..

lets put a data logger on your car for a week, and see how rigerously you stick to the limits and how accurate your speedo is... beter still lets see by how much you stray outside the limits... 1% 3% 5% ???

speed cams are like russian roulette,, and even the police admit that with only one in 4 being loaded....

try playing russian roulette and see what mr plod or a magistrate thinks...

youd get 5 years, yet we have our civil libertys abused yes abused.

billy no mates has totally f*cked over our legal system, destroyed key parts of our bill of rights, and you reckon its a crock of ****...

wake up and smell the roses!!!!!

M
Old 12 May 2005, 12:27 AM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Just a word of warning and good cheer on this issue.............

Many mobile speed detection devices are now being used by the Local Authorities, and not just the Police, so the next Mobile van, or whatever, that you see may not actually be the Police at all.

Looks like its going to get worse for us all...............
Old 12 May 2005, 07:11 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

I've noticed that at each camera location whether its Gatso or mobile there are always a number of people who will slam their brakes on, as they are not aware of exact speed. Its difficult to know without constantly looking at your speedo what the readining is within a few MPH.
I understand that there have been several accidients caused this way ...... perhpas Hedgehog knows?
Old 12 May 2005, 08:07 AM
NewLabour
Scooby Regular

If it's really that much of a worry for you why not just buy a foreign reg'd car and stick two fingers up at the authorites.
I'm aware I've been caught on truvelo at least once and set off a few GATSO's and never had any comeback whatsoever in the foreign hire car I was using last time I was in the UK. I might even set some off for fun next time I come back.

Mr Lewis also has a point re:MX5 but you have to be under 6ft to fit in one properly.
Old 12 May 2005, 08:20 AM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Just to add..i make a regular trip to Solihull every Friday after work and return on Sunday night..I use the A roads as congestion on the M6 is terrible and the M42 has bad roadworks on it for the past 2 years.!!
Going from Tameside via Buxton,Ashbourne and Litchfield i pass 36 speed camera's,thats just in 95 miles.I would say 90% have nothing to do with accident black spots...there positioned to catch you out at brows of hills,so they know you will be accelerating just to get up it.And after dips and on declines where your car will be increasing in speed naturaly due to the terrain.
And within the last few weeks i have seen 2 little cobbled laybys bein built for police cars to pask and moniter your speed,taking my tally upto 38..nearly averaging 1 every 2 miles,and this is on open country A roads..its madness..

There is a place for speed camera's but there needs to be some criteria to where they are stuck up!!
Old 12 May 2005, 08:29 AM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Oh....MX5's...err well.yea there ok i suppose,they do what there supposed to..but Pete your assuming that people have the money to own 2 cars,nevermind the space to park them.Multiple car ownership aint the answer.Not everyone is as privelidged as yourself,and im sure if you only had the resources to own 1 car the mazda would be binned!!!.
Old 12 May 2005, 08:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well I have been driving 'bikes and cars for a good many years and I agree with Fatscoobyfella, its not the pleasure it used to be. I think it is a combination of the attitude towards motorists by the authorities and the nutcrunchers, and also the vast increase of traffic on the roads in comparatively recent years.

Certainly the speed camera lobby with the ambition to screw as much money out of the motorist under the guise of improving road safety is a big factor. When people feel that they are not trusted it is natural also that they feel encouraged to try to beat the system which can encourage more dangerous driving anyway. This is what the spying effect of speed cameras produces.

I agree absolutely with Apparition, it is wrong to terrorise built up areas by driving at excessive speeds. It is more dangerous and upsetting for the locals which is unfair. On the open road it is not necessarily dangerous to drive at greater speeds by capable drivers under the right circumstances. If there was a change in attitudes towards drivers to how it used to be in previous times, I think that most people would have a responsible feeling towards their speeds and would drive safely which is the name of the game. This was how it used to be.

Excessive speeds on the open roads for the conditions is also wrong however and I think that with traffic as it is today, three figure speeds should not be tolerated. Bring back the proper traffic cops to catch the really bad and illegal drivers and bin the speedcams on the open roads. Also start building some decent roads again with a bit more of the misused barrowloads of money which we pay in what is laughingly called "road fund tax"

Les
Old 12 May 2005, 11:26 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Pete has a hidden point. Cars these days are so much comfier, so much heavier, so much quieter - that they are frankly boring as hell to drive. I had a scoob for a year, the only time I ever enjoyed it was when I was doing illegal speeds.

Compare that to my 205 GTI, and before that an old Dutton convertible, which shook itself to pieces and could be outdragged by a 2.0 Sierra, but I was still smiling in the 30 limits. At the time I had the Dutton I borrowed a friend's Mk2 MR2 - hated it. No sense of adventure at all, too comfy, too soft. Accelerated, yawn... then looked down to find myself doing 85 in a 40 limit!!

Get yourself an Elise, or Caterfield, or cheap imitation, and enjoy driving at legal speeds!

Quick Reply: DRIVING...NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE..?