Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Over 70's drivers, Trevor Mcdonald last night!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2005, 08:50 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Over 70's drivers, Trevor Mcdonald last night!!!!!!!!

Out of 6 over 70's drivers last night only one would have passed the test Fair play to the old fella 94 I think who took the retest himself to make sure he was safe enough and he passed.
Cheers
Colin
Old 10 May 2005, 08:54 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

It doesn't surprise me. The test has got harder since when they took it (if they ever did). We really do need to promote on going testing / re-assessment and a separate motorway test IMHO.
Old 10 May 2005, 09:04 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

After almost being taken out by an OAP straightlining a roundabout the other day I'm all for compulsory re-tests.
Old 10 May 2005, 09:13 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Almost every accident or near miss I have seen in recent years has involved some dozy old codger daydreaming. It must be very disappointing to have to come to the end of your driving days, but I'm afraid it simply has to happen one day. I know I will hate the prospect, but when it comes I will sob and bare it. Compulsory retesting is the safest and most sensible answer.
Old 10 May 2005, 09:20 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Old Dear (late 80's) next door to the in-laws has finally been persuaded to give up driving. Her eye sight is so poor, she has to sit within a couple of feet of the TV to be able to see it. The thought of her, and others like her on the road scares me silly.
Old 10 May 2005, 09:43 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Angry

What about the old bird who joined the motorway the wrong way, and was driving up lane 3 in the wrong direction, luckily the police saw her and gave chase
Cheers
Colin
Old 10 May 2005, 10:49 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Just like that young bloke who did the same thing in his fathers van the other day and caused mega damage Scooby 99!

Ageism is most unfair and is not necessarily accurate. if you want to quote examples of incompetent or unsafe driving then you would have to say the same for all age groups.

See how you feel should you reach that sort of age.

Les
Old 10 May 2005, 10:59 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Just like that young bloke who did the same thing in his fathers van the other day and caused mega damage Scooby 99!

Ageism is most unfair and is not necessarily accurate. if you want to quote examples of incompetent or unsafe driving then you would have to say the same for all age groups.

Les
It's a generalisation. It is quite well established that you slow down as you get older (you don't get too many octagenarians winning the F1 championship). At the moment, you need your doctor to certificate that you are fit to keep driving once you pass 70 (IIRC). This mechanism really isn't that reliable as it is more a case of are they on drugs that may affect their ability to drive than much else.

I also appreciate that the mobility aspect to the older population is also a major factor, however consideration does need to be given to a drivers confidence and ability to keep up with the general progress of the surrounding traffic. This should apply whatever the age. Again it is a generalisation, but I don't see to many (non learner) young drivers driving significantly below the speed limit (doddering if you prefer). On the other hand, I don't see too many octaganarians with baseball caps the wrong way round, bass speakers cranked up and them wheel spinning everywhere.

Each age group has a particular bad driving trait associated with them, the over 70's have "doddering"
Old 10 May 2005, 11:02 AM
richieh
Scooby Regular

Les
agreed les-my mum is now 71 and drives her turbo diesel a damn site better than a few of my mates in their 30's. just waiting for her first points cos she does enjoy the odd motorway blast
richie
Old 10 May 2005, 11:05 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Each age group has a particular bad driving trait associated with them, the over 70's have "doddering"
Tell that to my dad, he's in his late 60's and still blatting around in his 05 Sti. I was watching him hurl a group N Impreza rally car around Bill Gwynne's the other day and he didn't look too doddery to me

The old are getting younger these days (or something like that )
Old 10 May 2005, 11:19 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

"The old are getting younger these days"

Then they (as well as us youngsters) shouldn't have any trouble re-taking their tests periodically then.
Old 10 May 2005, 11:26 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

<sighs>
Having been nearly killed by a pensioner driver i still have back problems related to the accident i am slightly biased but i do hate all bad and dangerous driving.

Anyway my observation.
I have a relation (only met him once) who is 89 y/o. Apparently & according to my mother who is in her 80's he has just got a new licence sent to him ( i assume the last one expired) anyway he has failing eyesight, cannot see more than 10 yds clearly, bad knees, arthritus and a heart problem. He has spent the last 4 years in and out of hospitals with various complaints.

My mother refuses to go out in the car with him as she thinks he is 'unsteady' as she says.

Words fail me.........
Old 10 May 2005, 11:50 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes I agree with you OllyK, and my point is that we should all be prepared to be a bit patient with elderly drivers who tend to drone along more slowly than we would like when we are following them.

That seems to be the fault of the doctor surely Paul and in that sort of a state he should certainly stop driving. If his vision is that bad then he should never be near a steering wheel.

I also know a good few drivers well into their 60's and even 70's who can drive very well indeed and would give most people a good run on a track day. We are all different in our makeup and abilities so that is why I was commenting on "ageism" in this respect.

Les
Old 10 May 2005, 11:56 AM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Retests for all every five years at most.
Simple, but never mind, cameras, ISA, and goodness knows what next will sort it.
Won't it?
Old 10 May 2005, 12:47 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

We also eventually persuaded my Grandad to give up driving - his reactions were appalling and would insist on pulling off in 2nd gear with nowhere near enough revs to do it!!!
I shouldn't matter how old you are, re-testing everyone on a regular basis would surely get rid of the idiots on the roads?
Old 10 May 2005, 12:50 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Les
Good grief ... a post from Leslie that I have a hope of agreeing with

But, agree I do!!

The youngsters have the MOST accidents - FACT!!

Us oldies are slower and steady ..... that doesn't mean we are dangerous!!

Pete
Old 10 May 2005, 01:09 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vegescoob
Retests for all every five years at most.
Simple, but never mind, cameras, ISA, and goodness knows what next will sort it.
Won't it?
Bang on, get rid of the scameras and get the police back on the roads educating people.

The amount of people (of all ages) I see on a daily basis who can't undestand which lane to be in at a round about is simply scarey
Richard
Old 10 May 2005, 03:24 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Talking

Les
If I ever make it Les But I do understand what you are saying.
Cheers
Colin
Old 10 May 2005, 03:55 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychick
Tell that to my dad, he's in his late 60's and still blatting around in his 05 Sti.
Good on him I say

The old are getting younger these days (or something like that )
Exactly

Chip
Old 10 May 2005, 04:31 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Les...you took the words right out of my mouth.
I used to know a 30 something female who was blind as a bat. She , for vain reasons would not wear glasses when driving, God knows how she ever got from A to B. I never , ever let my kids travel in her car.
It makes me furious when people generalise about age groups, whether we are talking "old Codgers" or "young Tearaways". Doesn't matter what age a person is, they are equally capable of being a total twerp. Likewise, there are excellent drivers right across the board.
BTW I'd rather be stuck behind a slow older person than under the wheels of a young timmy teararse.
Old 10 May 2005, 04:41 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apparition
It makes me furious when people generalise about age groups...
That's admirable

BTW I'd rather be stuck behind a slow older person than under the wheels of a young timmy teararse.
As long as you don't do it yourself in the same post
Old 10 May 2005, 04:45 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Talking

That's admirable

As long as you don't do it yourself in the same post
Damn, beaten to it!
Old 10 May 2005, 04:46 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Alrighty...I'd rather be stuck behind slow young person than under the wheels of an older Gladys teararse.
Better ?

It doesn't matter what the age, we all have our good and bad contemporaries......
Old 10 May 2005, 04:49 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Generalisations, like cliches are generally true.

Old 10 May 2005, 04:56 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Alrighty...I'd rather be stuck behind slow young person than under the wheels of an older Gladys teararse.
Better ?

It doesn't matter what the age, we all have our good and bad contemporaries......
Lol - you have just reversed it now! Better to have said "I'd rather be behind a slow person than under the wheels of a reckless driver"

But then I think that applies to everybody unless we have masochists here that get off on being run over? Telboy??
Old 11 May 2005, 08:38 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

This is historic. PSL and I agree for once! Could this develop further?

Les
Old 11 May 2005, 11:25 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

[Gunny Highway] Does this mean you'll be taking warm showers together ?[ /Gunny Highway]
Old 11 May 2005, 11:51 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Not if I see him coming!

Les
Old 11 May 2005, 02:06 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Can I add another gripe having just avoided a collision at lunch? ********* who arrive at a roundabout in the left hand lane, cleary marked with a left turn and straight on only arrow and then decide to actually turn right, by going all the way round the outer edge of the roundabout, without indicating. Especially when somebody is along side them and going straight on and is peeling off to go straight on when then decide they want to go right.

Fu*king just about shat my pants, saw this loon getting closer and closer, glazed look on the face. Had to do a sharp right hand, lots of screeching protest from the tyres, but managed to get it all sorted without hitting anything, come to a halt and this guys just bimbles on by. I was too stunned and busy checking the driver's seat for brown stains to get his number.
Old 11 May 2005, 02:14 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Can I add another gripe having just avoided a collision at lunch? ********* who arrive at a roundabout in the left hand lane, cleary marked with a left turn and straight on only arrow and then decide to actually turn right, by going all the way round the outer edge of the roundabout, without indicating. Especially when somebody is along side them and going straight on and is peeling off to go straight on when then decide they want to go right.

Fu*king just about shat my pants, saw this loon getting closer and closer, glazed look on the face. Had to do a sharp right hand, lots of screeching protest from the tyres, but managed to get it all sorted without hitting anything, come to a halt and this guys just bimbles on by. I was too stunned and busy checking the driver's seat for brown stains to get his number.
My other half had the front taken off of her Mk1 MR2 by a lorry doing this (not indicating either) went knock for knock because although the markings are there they are 'advisory' and we where unlikely to win if it wnet further.
What a fecking joke!

Bye bye no claims and we changed insurers on principal - thanks Admiral for nothing!

Quick Reply: Over 70's drivers, Trevor Mcdonald last night!!!!!!!!