Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Unmarked police cars...

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2005, 12:02 AM
FirebirdUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Unmarked police cars...

On my way home from work this evening, I was driving along the motorway (doing about 95mph - it's a quiet stretch that not many cars use).

I caught up with a Vectra (I don't know why, but I slowed to about 80), and then I noticed it had 3 aerials on the back of the car - so thought it was an unmarked car

I stayed at about 80 and pulled in front of the Vectra, gradually slowing to about 75 (didn't want to make it look too obvious that I'd been speeding) - the Vectra stayed at the same speed and followed for a few miles.

He eventually overtook and I got a better chance to have a look in the car - it had two mirrors in the front, and something box like in front of his rear view mirror (didn't know if it was lights or a camera). The driver was alone and didn't appear to be wearing uniform (i.e. no yellow jacket or police like shirt). I couldn't see any obvious blue lights on the car (on the front or the back).

If this was an unmarked car, is it likely I'm going to receive a NIP in the post? (seeing as I wasn't pulled over and he was alone)
Old 26 April 2005, 12:35 AM
steffiraf
Scooby Regular

wouldnt have thought so
Old 26 April 2005, 12:35 AM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Absolutely no chance mate, chill out.

Even if it was an unmarked car, your speed cannot be recorded whilst they are on the move, on a lazer video.

You would have been stopped if he felt your speed was a problem. Relax.
Old 26 April 2005, 12:36 AM
Ralph Wiggum
Scooby Regular

unlikely, he was probably checking out your details to be honest, radioing in to check the owners name, if your insured etc... and obviously if you were gonna boot it too.

you can't be done for speeding without being pulled iirc without there being a sign that speed cameras are used. If you were gonna be done he would of pulled you, taken you into his car and told you, don't worry about it
Old 26 April 2005, 12:38 AM
FirebirdUK
Scooby Regular

Thanks - I can sleep tonight now

I'll be good tomorrow... Just so hard to stick to 70 on a motorway
Old 26 April 2005, 12:48 AM
Ralph Wiggum
Scooby Regular

what motorway? m4? the welsh part of that, actually pretty much junction 14 on to wales is a bugger speed cameras, they got vans now pretty much all the time
Old 26 April 2005, 01:09 AM
FirebirdUK
Scooby Regular

It was just after the old severn bridge on the Welsh side (the M48 - what used to be the old M4). I go that way to avoid all the traffic that goes over the new bridge

Right old pain the new cameras and vans The roadworks at Bath (where I work) don't help either
Old 26 April 2005, 01:26 AM
Ralph Wiggum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FirebirdUK
It was just after the old severn bridge on the Welsh side (the M48 - what used to be the old M4). I go that way to avoid all the traffic that goes over the new bridge

Right old pain the new cameras and vans The roadworks at Bath (where I work) don't help either
yeah thank god i only have to use junction 5 to 3 , occasionally junction 11 if i goin to my mums via a33
Old 26 April 2005, 07:24 AM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum
you can't be done for speeding without being pulled iirc without there being a sign that speed cameras are used. If you were gonna be done he would of pulled you, taken you into his car and told you, don't worry about it
Wrong on both counts.

The police can carry out speed enforcement anywhere at anytime. The so called SCP "rules" which are actually nothing more than spin do not apply to the Police.

While it would be normal for the police to stop you for speeding technically they do not have to. The officer would have all the evidence he needs and would merely issue an S172 againist the registered keeper and issue an NIP to the driver.
Old 26 April 2005, 07:25 AM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dexter
Absolutely no chance mate, chill out.

Even if it was an unmarked car, your speed cannot be recorded whilst they are on the move, on a lazer video.

You would have been stopped if he felt your speed was a problem. Relax.
This is wrong also. The car would be equipped to measure speed on the move. The box by the mirror would be the video camera and the car will be equipped with VASCAR which uses neither laser or radar.
Old 26 April 2005, 07:26 AM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steffiraf
wouldnt have thought so
I would agree
Old 26 April 2005, 08:05 AM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

also saw one of these on the m25, between j6 and j10, also one driver in a white vectra, but had about half a dozen small, squat ariels on the roof.

i was wondering too
Old 26 April 2005, 11:33 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't worry m8, its happened to me a few times - Gwent have a number of unmarked cars, the Vectra is one, also a brace of Volvos, and at least one unmarked Skoda Octavia - I've also seen an unmarked Saab, but I'm not sure if that was S Wales Police or Gwent - he almost certainly would have pulled you over if he was going to take action, and even then it would have probably been a chat about your closing speed !
Old 26 April 2005, 11:39 AM
Jamjar
Scooby Regular

what motorway? m4? the welsh part of that, actually pretty much junction 14 on to wales is a bugger speed cameras, they got vans now pretty much all the time
Same applys to the M4 coming out of london
Old 26 April 2005, 11:47 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by bluepolarbear
This is wrong also. The car would be equipped to measure speed on the move. The box by the mirror would be the video camera and the car will be equipped with VASCAR which uses neither laser or radar.
VASCAR times a car between two fixed points though, something which I understand is done while the police car is stationary.
Old 26 April 2005, 12:02 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
VASCAR times a car between two fixed points though, something which I understand is done while the police car is stationary.
VASCAR can be used while stationary or on the move, all it does is record time over distance, thereby calculating speed - I've been travelling in the back of a patrol car on the M4 when the police have carried out VASCAR checks.
Old 26 April 2005, 12:54 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Got done ages ago by an unmarked video car (moving) using 'Police Pilot', which sounds similar to VASCAR.

I didn't notice their car as I shot past at around 115, but the blue lights behind the grill kinda gave the game away as he pulled me over.

'Luckily' I only got done for 105mph and did a good job in court to avoid a ban...
Old 26 April 2005, 12:54 PM
WRXPete
Scooby Regular

you can't be done for speeding without being pulled iirc without there being a sign that speed cameras are used.
Which is why the cars have VASCAR!! Or just use a calibrated speedo. VASCAR is way preferable, but you can follow a car at an unchanging distance, record your own speed as per the speedo. Deal with the driver and then later on get a car with VASCAR to measure you and see how accurate your speedo actually is.

Chances are matey that he didn't bother as you slowed down and acted more sensibly.
If he had recorded your speed and intended to prosecute he almost certainly would have pulled you over. Especially as he was on his own as he would want to show you your speed as he had no colleauge to coroborate what the VASCAR read.
Old 26 April 2005, 01:03 PM
WRXPete
Scooby Regular

And VASCAR can be used stationary or on the move....it's basically a calculator. Most common way is to use bridges on the motorway. Target car passed under bridge which cast a shadow on the roof of the car, timer 1 goes on. Police pass same bridge, timer 2 goes on. After at least 1/8 of a mile do the same to stop both clocks.
VASCAR knows how far both cars have travelled and in what time, so it can work out the target cars speed.
When stationary it measures a set distance. Pass under a couple of bridges and let it measure the distance then simply put that in as a constant, park up, look back and again use the shadows to see how long the car takes to cover the known distance. It's harder to spot cars going fast as you are normally some way up the road, and you need to be happy you kept your eyes on the same car throughout, then you have to catch it as you are stationary....so it's a no go in rush hour!!!!
Old 26 April 2005, 01:04 PM
AshleyJ WRX
Scooby Regular

VASCAR works while the Police Car is on the move for sure. I have a very poorly looking drivers license to prove it
Old 26 April 2005, 01:12 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

When you see the rectangle white squares in the road, thats what many cars equipped with Vascar use as start/finish points and helicopters can theoretically use them to catch speeders to.(dont think iv'e ever heard of it yet,except in USA)
I thought a single officer using Vascar had to have video aslo to confirm correct speed.
Mac.
Old 26 April 2005, 02:48 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
When you see the rectangle white squares in the road, thats what many cars equipped with Vascar use as start/finish points and helicopters can theoretically use them to catch speeders to.(dont think iv'e ever heard of it yet,except in USA)
Dyfed Powys Police have been known to use the helicopter in the Brecon Beacons/mid Wales on fast A road in this manner during their (frequent) blitz's on bikers/speeders in the summer. There are usually a few patrol cars parked up waiting further down the road.
Old 26 April 2005, 03:03 PM
Benno
Scooby Regular

So in terms of identifying an umarked police car it seems the only giveaway that you are going to see without passing them is aerials? Are there any other distinguishing features as it sounds like they use no set type/brand of car.
Also out of sheer curiosity what spec are 5 series BMW's they use? (btw I am not planning on trying to outrun one anytime soon )
Old 26 April 2005, 03:36 PM
FirebirdUK
Scooby Regular

Yup - aerials seems to be the only giveaway...

Along the M4, between Bath and Bristol, you sometimes see a Vauxhall Omega (WV52 ***) - it's a dark wine sort of colour. Again, apart from the aerials, you wouldn't tell... Except when you see it on the hard shoulder - the standard lights (brakes, indicators, etc. flash in a circular pattern) - the blue lights on the front are hidden behind the grille (you don't see them until they flash).

Sneaky eh?
Old 26 April 2005, 03:51 PM
nunosm
Scooby Regular

In portugal in motorways, the police uses audis a4 1.8T bmw 330d and subaru imprezas wrx and sti 2003, all equipped with PROVIDA VIDEO surveillance.

Is a system with no radar emissions...They follow you at a distance (100 to 300meters) and need 5 seconds with stable speed. A video is recorded, and the current speed of the police car as well. So....they estimated that you are going at the same speed, and PIM! the billing begins....

Here's a link of the system with some photos....

http://www.activision.com.pl/provida2000.htm

The scoobys are easy to spot, but the audis and BMW's...are a nightmare!
Old 26 April 2005, 03:57 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nunosm
In portugal in motorways, the police uses audis a4 1.8T bmw 330d and subaru imprezas wrx and sti 2003, all equipped with PROVIDA VIDEO surveillance.

Is a system with no radar emissions...They follow you at a distance (100 to 300meters) and need 5 seconds with stable speed. A video is recorded, and the current speed of the police car as well. So....they estimated that you are going at the same speed, and PIM! the billing begins....

Here's a link of the system with some photos....

http://www.activision.com.pl/provida2000.htm

The scoobys are easy to spot, but the audis and BMW's...are a nightmare!
That's such a sh!te method. Estimating a constant distance is worthless and there can be a large differential in actual speeds before a visual closing speed can be determined, ie. they could be following you at 100 when you're doing 95 and they would estimate your speed at 100. It would take a serious amount of following for them to tell they were closing the gap significantly yet that 5mph could be the difference between points and a ban in this country.
Old 26 April 2005, 04:06 PM
mclannahan
Scooby Newbie

I've noted that generally (although I wouldn't say this was the case for ALL Police cars by no means...)

Police cars don't have GB stickers
Don't have towbars
Don't have trader stickers (Lookers..etc...)

Anyone else noticed this or me going mad?

Cheers

Michael

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
That's such a sh!te method. Estimating a constant distance is worthless and there can be a large differential in actual speeds before a visual closing speed can be determined, ie. they could be following you at 100 when you're doing 95 and they would estimate your speed at 100. It would take a serious amount of following for them to tell they were closing the gap significantly yet that 5mph could be the difference between points and a ban in this country.
Old 26 April 2005, 04:06 PM
nunosm
Scooby Regular

Maybe Sh*t....but here, they use it all the time.....they need some constant speed cruising for some seconds to do the bust....and here the speed limit is 120km/h, and they only "record" 150km/h onwards, so you cannot argue with speed errors and such....
I tell you, here the police only does one think....HUNT YOU DOWN! No educations, no preventions...nothing! Its like ***** the coyote, waiting for the scooby bip bip to pass!!!! And no...the radars are not ACME made...eheheh
Old 26 April 2005, 04:36 PM
nunosm
Scooby Regular

Here are some provida photos and info...

Apparently, its also used in UK....right?

http://www.roadracers.co.uk/speeding.htm
Old 26 April 2005, 04:44 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mclannahan
I've noted that generally (although I wouldn't say this was the case for ALL Police cars by no means...)

Police cars don't have GB stickers
Don't have towbars
Don't have trader stickers (Lookers..etc...)

Anyone else noticed this or me going mad?

Cheers

Michael
Ive seen them with 'Motorway Maintenance' stickers; sneaky eh? They tend not to have a dealers name on the registration plate, the cars are frequently block registered so the registered numbers can be similar to other beat/traffic cars. You could also look out for the observers mirror and the missing rear headrests. Finally a lot of Police vehicles seem to have a second disc on the windscreen alongside the tax disc.

Simon

Quick Reply: Unmarked police cars...