Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is there a "best" mobile to have right now ?

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2005, 02:14 PM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a "best" mobile to have right now ?

I am due an upgrade, I am a Nokia fan but people seem to be talking about the V3 from Motorola

I have a digi camera etc etc so just looking for a good reliable phone which has a gimmick or two & it would be cool to have the "must have" phone !

Which should I ask for ?

Cheers

Paul
Old 22 April 2005, 02:17 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

I've got a V3.

Looks nice, reliable so far, prefer Nokia firmware but don't like any of the new phones so went for something diffrent.
Old 22 April 2005, 02:17 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I was offered an upgrade at work recently. I've stuck with the Nokia 6310i. A little bit large, not too fancy, but bullet proof.

All these flashy girly flip phones are cool till they snap, and if you are a heavy user, they will.
Old 22 April 2005, 02:28 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by OllyK
All these flashy girly flip phones are cool till they snap, and if you are a heavy user, they will.
A classic statement from those who haven't had one. Not since the first flip was released to this day have I had a flip snap.

Mind you I'm sure your BUPA membership is kept up to date knowing you have to carry around your 6310i, you mad bad heavy user you.

My car does 85 mph in first gear, pass it on.
Old 22 April 2005, 02:37 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
A classic statement from those who haven't had one.
Wow - psychic too! There's a $1,000,000 waiting for you at randi.org. I assume you can back up your wild claim that I have never had a flip phone??

No didn't think so.

I've broken 2, I wouldn't have another. The nokia is a bit of a brick, but it's on 24/7, it been dropped countless times and takes all the abuse that has been thrown at it. It's a business phone and the fact that it works is more important than its looks. If you just want to pose, then fine.
Old 22 April 2005, 02:48 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

I ve broke loads of flips. the 6310 is a good "man's" phone - does what it says on the tin, is indestructable no superfluous features, doesn't look gay or girly.

having said all that, the V3 in black is nice!
Old 22 April 2005, 03:02 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Wow - psychic too! There's a $1,000,000 waiting for you at randi.org. I assume you can back up your wild claim that I have never had a flip phone??

No didn't think so.

I've broken 2, I wouldn't have another. The nokia is a bit of a brick, but it's on 24/7, it been dropped countless times and takes all the abuse that has been thrown at it. It's a business phone and the fact that it works is more important than its looks. If you just want to pose, then fine.
The onus is on you to prove you broke them and that you didn't just try to open the flip the wrong way.

I've picked up the money, thanks.

Obviously the fact it works is more important to you than the way it looks otherwise why else have a 6310i?
Old 22 April 2005, 03:03 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by zoog
I ve broke loads of flips. the 6310 is a good "man's" phone - does what it says on the tin, is indestructable no superfluous features, doesn't look gay or girly.

having said all that, the V3 in black is nice!
Broken loads!!! You need some sort of therapy. You're a liability.
Old 22 April 2005, 03:25 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

I usually go for nothing but flip phones due to them being a bit more robust and less likely to damage.
I have never managed to break one yet and I have mine in my pocket while in house fires, at RTAs ect. (must try harder )
I have found the Motorola flips to be very good. I have just upgraded to the V635 from the V600. It is almost identical (despite the fact that the asthetics of the phone dont bother me) and is feature packed. I did feel the V3 was a little wide.
Must admit to not liking Nokias much and I tended to change the make of phone each time as well as upgrading features (until I cam across the Motorolas)
Old 22 April 2005, 03:32 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

I have a 6230 and it is small and compact, with a camera, video recorder, bluetooth etc etc...

I am sure there are better, Samsung D500 comes recommended, but it is very simple, straightforward and nigh on impossible to damage unless you really try to.

I would have another one if offered.
Old 22 April 2005, 03:36 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I was offered an upgrade at work recently. I've stuck with the Nokia 6310i. A little bit large, not too fancy, but bullet proof.
Got one of these as a company mobile cos it fits in the car kit.
Old 22 April 2005, 03:43 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

SE s700i has been pretty good for the 6 months I've had it.
Old 22 April 2005, 04:27 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

The onus is on you to prove you broke them and that you didn't just try to open the flip the wrong way.
I expressed and opinion based on personal experience. Feel free to put forward a contrary personal experience and opinion, but acusing somebody of lying because they don't agree with you is frankly rather childish.

I've picked up the money, thanks.
Cool, I look forward to hearing about it on the news tonight, but somehow I don't believe you.

Obviously the fact it works is more important to you than the way it looks otherwise why else have a 6310i?
Exactly - mind you, seems you are now agreeing that the 6310i is a more reliable and robust. Oh well.
Old 22 April 2005, 04:42 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Is anyone else bored with the whole "must have mobile" thing.

Sticking with my 2 nokia 6100's now.
Old 22 April 2005, 04:53 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I expressed and opinion based on personal experience. Feel free to put forward a contrary personal experience and opinion, but acusing somebody of lying because they don't agree with you is frankly rather childish..
Oh well, you've provided me with a laugh anyway, I'll put the reel back in the box now. Nothing like teasing the youngsters who get emotional without realising they are being hooked.
Exactly - mind you, seems you are now agreeing that the 6310i is a more reliable and robust. Oh well.
Not quite hey but if you feel better.

Personally I've never even dropped a phone so even a Tomy wouldn't be an issue to me.
Old 22 April 2005, 04:54 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Is anyone else bored with the whole "must have mobile" thing.

Sticking with my 2 nokia 6100's now.
Yup - marketing bods are having a field day creating one up-man-ship on phones. Personally I'd rather not have one, but it's kinda hard to do my job without one. As a result my needs are simple, robust and functional. If you want a fasion accessory, then obviously the requirements are very different.
Old 22 April 2005, 04:57 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Oh well, you've provided me with a laugh anyway, I'll put the reel back in the box now. Nothing like teasing the youngsters who get emotional without realising they are being hooked.
Ahh so you like to try and wind people up by calling them liars?? I bet your a real laugh in the pub!
Old 22 April 2005, 05:05 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ahh so you like to try and wind people up by calling them liars?? I bet your a real laugh in the pub!
No, I merely answered with a throw away comment that you got all emotional about. I bet you just couldn't wait to type a reply.

What's a pub?
Old 22 April 2005, 05:13 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

No, I merely answered with a throw away comment that you got all emotional about. I bet you just couldn't wait to type a reply.
Inferring somebody is a liar is a "throw away comment"? Guess integrity doesn't mean much to you then?

What's a pub?
Let me know when your 18 and I'll explain it to you.
Old 22 April 2005, 05:32 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Inferring somebody is a liar is a "throw away comment"? Guess integrity doesn't mean much to you then?
Bless you.
Let me know when your 18 and I'll explain it to you.
Thanks but I doubt there's anything you could teach me other than how to be a tad tedious during normal hours and how to be a real larffffff with the boys down the ale house.

Olly for PM.
Old 23 April 2005, 04:53 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I agree the 6310i is a very robust phone mine has been dropped in a lake whilst on, fished it out from the 12 inches of water took battery off left it to dry for a day then switched back on and it worked fine lost no data!

i also have a P910i and i am am on the 2nd hand set within 6 months and feel this one is going to die soon its a good phone but for the keys on the flip which wear out. oh and the camera could be better.
Old 23 April 2005, 09:54 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I was in this position recently and went to an actual phone shop and picked up the handsets so I could get an idea of the phones etc. I think this helped my deicision and even though I liked the Samsung D500, I went for the Nokia 6230.

I have always had Nokias and it would be too much hassle for me to change brands, I'd have to learn all the features again and to be honest, old dog, new tricks

The 6230 is compact and robust, has a nice camera, bluetooth etc. The only thing that gets on my nerves is the little button which you select the menu items from. You have to hit it dead centre otherwise it goes to camera or contacts. This is no mean feat with long nails - only a ladies problem I guess.

Other than that, I think I made the right choice. The 6230 is functional, well made and quite good looking too. Go buy!
Old 23 April 2005, 10:15 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

I used to have a Nokia 6310 before I lost it abroad. It's a good phone, just the right size to be able to use and hold properly but just like the previous 6210 and other Nokia models I've had it suffered from freezing and re-powering. It's a good phone but it's certainly not indestructible. It's also popular because it's the last model from Nokia that will fit in the CARK-91 car kit.

I'd recommend a Samsung D500.
Old 24 April 2005, 09:10 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Talking

I got a Samsung D500 as I was fed up with the nokia software crashing on the last two that I had. I've had nokia for 8 years and I thought it would be a pain to transfer everything and work out the new phone but it was easy!
Old 08 May 2005, 07:54 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you want an upgrade? - if not go for a popular expensive phone (eg P910i) and sell it on - seems quite a few people do this nowadays...

Mick
Old 08 May 2005, 09:07 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
The only thing that gets on my nerves is the little button which you select the menu items from. You have to hit it dead centre otherwise it goes to camera or contacts. This is no mean feat with long nails - only a ladies problem I guess.

Other than that, I think I made the right choice. The 6230 is functional, well made and quite good looking too. Go buy!
id agree on the 6230 . i have a similar menu button problem due to the fact ive got big hands-my thumb covers the menu button and about 1/3 of the buttons either side
richie