Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2005, 07:26 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts?

Just reading this

So he's out of work and looking for a new job, big deal, is it really newsworthy?

As for having to explain to the poor little lad about why he's not got any chocolate or has a glass ketchup bottle, give me a break! If complains about it then then he should get off his **** and get a job, help pull in some money for the family. The same goes for the wife. If she's not working then maybe she'd like to help out by getting a part-time or full-time job, even if it is only until hubby gets a new job.
Old 21 April 2005, 07:28 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Just reading this

So he's out of work and looking for a new job, big deal, is it really newsworthy?

As for having to explain to the poor little lad about why he's not got any chocolate or has a glass ketchup bottle, give me a break! If complains about it then then he should get off his **** and get a job, help pull in some money for the family. The same goes for the wife. If she's not working then maybe she'd like to help out by getting a part-time or full-time job, even if it is only until hubby gets a new job.

You're all heart
Old 21 April 2005, 07:32 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

OOOOOOH. The tears, its sooooooooooooooo sad.
Can't see how he's any different to millions of others in the world today.
Old 21 April 2005, 07:33 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Default Sympathy for the dad :(

After losing my first and longest job (of nearly 17 years) to redundancy, then finding another better paid job within 10 weeks before even my notice pay had run out, only for that job to fall apart 3 months later on the run up to my 2nd daughters 1st Birthday and Christmas, I was heartbroken at the thought of my (then) 4 year old and 1 year old going without.

Believe me, as a father it is really tough. I have every sympathy for the guy.

Having said THAT, on this occasion I agree with Markus - at 16 get of yer ****, get a job and buy yer own fcukin' ketchup.
Old 21 April 2005, 07:34 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I have sympathy for the bloke. However it ends there. It's likely that nearly everyone will be made redundant some point in their careers. You just have to pick yourself up and move on. I did.
Old 21 April 2005, 07:36 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Having been made redundant twice (and leaving one place before everyone was made redundant), I have limited sympathy for the former Rover employees.

Rover has been doing badly for some time now. Maybe they could have started looking for something else, or at least had a contingency plan, before they got laid off.
Old 21 April 2005, 07:43 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Exactly! Pick up, move on. Yes you'll start at the bottom and the salary will be low, but that is, I'm afraid, the real world.

If the kids were under 16 and the wife could not work for some reason, I might have slightly more sympathy. However, his kids are 16 and 22 (assume he's not coughing up for the 22yr old, if so then she needs to sort her life out as well) and thus if they wish to complain about the sudden lack of niceties, should get out and pull some money in, even if it's just to fun their own purchases. The same goes for the wife, if she is able to work and is not, then she should get out there and get some form of employment to help out. Nothing like relying on hubby to bring in the money and then whine when he's out of a job and nothing is coming in.

Of course, she could be working, in which case it'll be hard, but at least they will have some, albeit limited, income, unlike some others out there who won't have any income at all.
Old 21 April 2005, 07:48 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Jerome,
I guess they thought, or were told that the redundancy stories were just that, stories, and that things were ok and they don't need to worry. I would have taken that with a pinch of salt and started to look for something else.

There was a point when I felt I was going to be made redundant, No-one was saying anything about it, it was just a feeling, and so I took it on my own back to go job hunting. I had a few offers so felt better. Thankfully I need not have worried, and stated where I was, however, it could have gone the other way, and if I'd not have been proactive, I could have been in a spot of bother.
Regardless, if I found myself out of work, I'd not mope about, I'd get in there and go looking. Yes, I do turn my nose up at some jobs, for example, working at a fast food place, but, if it was the only thing going, I'd swallow my pride and get on in there. Some money coming in is better than no money.
Old 21 April 2005, 07:54 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Markus,

Indeed! The company I left before being made redundant was Ferranti. I wasn't taking the chance that Sir Derek Alun-Jones (wnaker) hadn't destroyed the comapny irretrievably.

Also, when I first came to Canada, I ended up getting a job as a security guard whilst looking for a job. Luckily I got a "proper" job before I had to actually start work as a guard.